Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

eremita

Savant
http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/212/?tab=4&&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/ajax/comments/?mod_id=212&page=1&sort=DESC&pid=0&thread_id=794205&pUp=1

Found this mod on nexus and i have to say, it's pretty fucking great. That dude has some mad skills! Anyway, his goal is apparently to modifie all the vanilla (horrid) heads. The best thing is, it's not gonna look out of place because he's switching all the presets with his, so all the npc (those with not unic heads) are gonna change too! Imo, halflings and gnomes don't need the overhaul that much, so the only (basic) race missing the overhaul so far are dwarfs, half-orcs and male tieflings. Again, it's an impressive mod indeed.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Has anyone been able to use Kornstalx's HotKeys for NWN2 on a GoG install?

soulburner

Cipher
Was there ever a remake of Mask of the Betrayer for any other game/engine? I tried playing it a few days ago and ragequit because I hate NWN2 UI and camera so much...

btbgfel

Scholar
I finished Trials of the Academy today, a horrible module, avoid it whenever you can

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I recently completed an epic thirty-four part recounting of the entire Aielund Saga, the first post of which is here.

Both the module author (now a novelist) and the current maintainer have made various comments throughout the recounting.

I'm sort of still undecided on what NWN module to play next.. surprised too that I'm not burned out on NWN after three months of playing it almost to the exclusion of all else..

DramaticPopcorn

I recently completed an epic thirty-four part recounting of the entire Aielund Saga, the first post of which is here.

Both the module author (now a novelist) and the current maintainer have made various comments throughout the recounting.

I'm sort of still undecided on what NWN module to play next.. surprised too that I'm not burned out on NWN after three months of playing it almost to the exclusion of all else..
I was keeping tabs on your LP of that campaing, very intriguing series and a captivating read, had an itch to try it out myself but had trouble firing NWN again due to some hardware incompatibilities and gave up on that idea. Thankfully your summary conveyed the experience really well. Seeing those creators' bittersweet comments made me smile. It's very endereaing to watch these people come back to relieve the passion project of their youth. :love:

P.S.: Do you follow NWN2 module releases per any chance? Has there been any interesting new content (I think I stopped following the scene since around 2012)? I have trouble navigating the new vault T_T

laclongquan

Arcane
I am playing Baldur Gate Reloaded, dat bg1 on nwn2 mod.

First, low level campaign, 10-.
Second, holy hannah traps~ The vanilla traps is fine, and dualed Imoen can fiddle with them. But TOSC traps will rape you. So a pure rogue, full 10 level with Skill Mastery is a must.
Third, low pace of leveling if you play with full party.
Fourth, stay away from ECL race for casters. You got limited levels, so you cant afford slow caster. Goodbye Viconia, with ECL2 we hardly knew thee~
Fifth, limited quest xp, which is one reason for the lack of xp. low level parties really struggle before outfitted with full gears, because there's no easy xp to be had~
Sixth, incorporated kaedrin pack, so there's a few new features to be had. It make the mod different to both NWN2 vanilla and BG1 vanilla.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I tried out the IWD remake for NWN2, but it was tactically flawed in many ways, one of which was that enemies wouldn't chase you down after being fired on from a distance...

For those after a BG1/BG2 type epic, I recommend Subtlety of Thay for NWN2 and Aielund Saga, Darkness Over Daggerford and Crimson Tides of Tethyr for NWN1 - remakes tend to disappoint.

eremita

Savant
I tried out the IWD remake for NWN2, but it was tactically flawed in many ways, one of which was that enemies wouldn't chase you down after being fired on from a distance...

For those after a BG1/BG2 type epic, I recommend Subtlety of Thay for NWN2 and Aielund Saga, Darkness Over Daggerford and Crimson Tides of Tethyr for NWN1 - remakes tend to disappoint.
Thank, I'll try that mod for NWN2. Speaking of NWN2, have you played Mysteries of Westage? It's surprisingly good.

kain611

Augur
For some reason I can't get Darkness over Daggerford to install. I have Windows 7 so Neverwinter is not installed to its default program files spot. It also is the Diamond collection if that matters.

Also does anyone know a way to get the premium module Infinite Dungeons? For some reason I was always intrigued by the Mod but never bought it :(

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Did you install the 'Critical Rebuild' patch? From what I remember, BioWare's official patches were retarded and didn't include all the fixes and stuff from previous patches, which would screw up the game.

kain611

Augur
Did you install the 'Critical Rebuild' patch? From what I remember, BioWare's official patches were retarded and didn't include all the fixes and stuff from previous patches, which would screw up the game.

I'm not sure if I do. I will re download and install and see if that fixes it. I installed this back in 2012 I think so I may not have installed it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
You need to apply the critical rebuild patch even on prepatched versions of the game, as some files are missing. After that any module should work.

kain611

Augur
Ok when I go to apply the patch it tells me it can't find NWN. I'm on windows 7 and installed NWN to the C: drive instead of (x86). Any work arounds? Also my NWN is the Diamond Edition.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Currently I'm playing through Crimson Tides of Tethyr and Swordflight, the latter not being for the faint-hearted due to (welcome) severe rest restrictions and overall "oldskool" (which means "thoughtful/proper") design principles. Since it's uniquely set in Calimshan and the surrounding desert, it also implements an impressive community-made tileset: Babylon (pictured below). Swordflight is shaping up to be a solid series - two parts are already done and there might be five parts all up. The second entry (Chapter 2) raises the bar significantly, introducing Athkatla-like non-linearity (ie, a big hub to explore where you can get in over your head if you're not careful)...

Basically, most of the concepts that impress Codexers are in there - except for it not being turn-based and isometric, of course.

dhLjIdK.jpg

Last edited:
Swordflight 2 was indeed awesome. Pity that in the first part you were forced to babysit a low level bard with retarde AI.

nomask7

Arcane
If anyone wants to play the OC (NWN), the latest patch actually made it basically unplayable because it "improved" spellcaster AI so much some bosses are now impossible to defeat. I like playing it for the mood and excellent soundtrack, but I can't get anywhere without God-mode. The first time I played this I had some difficulty beating it but I did manage to do it without any cheating. I think that was version 1.67 although I'm not sure.

Those are official patches, although the normal way to patch this game was via the launcher one patch at a time.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
Why would anyone ever play the NWN OC?

It has some nice things in it, like zombie plague in a rundown town district with two paths to stop the infestation. This area has a brilliant theme music.

Some other nice areas like some of the woods.

In general good mood due to graphics and art direction and exceptional soundtrack.

Good production values.

The quests make sense and you don't need an obsessive compulsive disorder (or a walkthrough) to advance.

Many side quests.

Some amount of freedom in terms of which parts of the main quest you want to do first (cliched but better than nothing).

The game used to be mostly well balanced for single player. It was possible to beat it without doing most of the side quests, but if you wanted easier battles you could take more side quests. Contrast with, for example, Borderlands where you absolutely must complete the side quests to have a chance at the main quest.

Whether you enjoy it somewhat or hate it and stop playing depends largely on your attitude.

It was good for what it is. I actually became addicted to it at some point during my first playthrough. Not a lot of games have this effect on me but I admit it's kind of a retarded game to become addicted to.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What do you think of my criticisms of pre-Helm's Hold OC, both here and here? I'll be honest - I couldn't re-play on to criticize more, to do so would have burned me out. There are diamonds in the rough, I admit. Helm's Hold itself and Charwood are good. The scope of the OC is massive, the music is amazing and Aribeth is a wonderful character - but nothing short of a full restoration and redesign can fix it's fundamental flaws (see links), imo.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
What do you think of my criticisms of pre-Helm's Hold OC, both here and here?

I'd only point out that harvesting all the containers is a foreign playing style for me, and I also often avoid monsters. All I ask of a game in these terms is that I'm not going to miss anything super duper important if I don't scavenge every inch of the map. I completely agree on tutorials though.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
If anyone wants to play the OC (NWN), the latest patch actually made it basically unplayable because it "improved" spellcaster AI so much some bosses are now impossible to defeat. I like playing it for the mood and excellent soundtrack, but I can't get anywhere without God-mode. The first time I played this I had some difficulty beating it but I did manage to do it without any cheating. I think that was version 1.67 although I'm not sure.
What bosses gave you trouble? I can't remember a single one that was particularily hard to beat.

nomask7

Arcane
What bosses gave you trouble? I can't remember a single one that was particularily hard to beat.

Did you play fighter? One walkthrough said bosses can be pretty hard if you use fighter:

For a fighter, a room full of enemys and a boss can be the hardest thing in the world to do.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/188666-neverwinter-nights/faqs/17593

Admittedly, I don't do a lot of side quests.

First time I played through this game, the one boss I had great trouble defeating was the Spirit of the Wood. Everything else was manageable, although I had to use the stone of recall at least with the dragons.

With version 1.69 I recall there's this crypt and some sort of undead magician and his minions not very far from the beginning of the game - couldn't beat him, even though the first time I played the game I didn't have any great trouble here. Spell casters in general seem more annoying. I read somewhere that they incorporated improved spell caster AI - this always means "harder". It doesn't mean more varied or more interesting, just harder.

I also had to use god-mode against Intellect Devourer. Not sure why.

I have to say I dislike the concept of boss fights, but kids love 'em so what can you do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom