Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New level of autism: Modders are using AI to enhance Morrowind original textures, result is amazing

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Enhanced super resolution generative adverserial networks, or ESRGAN, is an upscaling method that takes an low-res image and adds realistic details to it. By doing it over several passes with the goal of fooling its adverserial part, it will usually produce an image with more fidelity and realism than past methods. I have upscaled the textures in Morrowind to four times the vanilla resolution using ESRGAN. Below you can compare various models' results to the original (HR).

qualitative_cmp_01.jpg

46221-1544831305-62299445.png

46221-1544880920-600360147.png

46221-1544973914-149885687.png

46221-1544878991-1608788420.png

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46221

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It looks alright in comparison photos but the problem being the meshes don't mesh well with the models, or animation. You pump one thing up you have to improve everything else otherwise you look like some weird abomination. The models, the animations, the water, the lighting. But then Morrowind's engine barely runs as it is so then the performance tanks and you realize Morrowind looks fine enough on it's own.

soulburner

Cipher
This is quite impressive! Gotta read more on this tech and how I could apply this on my own.

nobre

Cipher
Now imagine all the time and energy, not to mention the powerful magic of autism, being spent not on better graphics, but better gameplay. One can dream right?

Not gonna happen. LOL JUST LOL @ expecting a good game in the current year xDDD and that's the BRUTAL thruth.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is one of the rare occasions where such improved textures look like an actual improvement

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
46221-1544831305-62299445.png

This image is convincingly misleading for one simple reason: in-game, you will never look at the vanilla texture the way it is presented here. It will appear more blurry, pixels blending with each, thus getting something closer to the right.

I will stick to using uncompressed textures.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Certainly looks better than fallout 76. Maybe it is time for another install of the game. I do miss jumping around while moving.

It would be interesting to see the original textures uncompressed and how they compare to these "hd" interpretations

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom