Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect interview: Cap'n Shepard = Jack Bauer

Fez

Erudite
Though probably not as sticky and with less worrying rashes the morning after.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It is funny that the English probably have the most bastardized version of the language at this point. Doesn't England have like 90% of the population of the UK? That's enough for it to be interchangeable with the UK or British.

Fez

Erudite
I think they have about 70% of the population all in England.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I once upset an Englishman because I called him British. I told him, "Look, asswipe, you can't have me both coming and going."

edit- I also upset an Irishman by asking him what time it was over there in the UK, but that was on purpose.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The point is ToEE sold pretty damn good, outselling NWN RT expansions,"

Outselling expansions proved nothing. That's nothing to be proud. Espicially since they likely outsold TOEE in the long run. L0LLERZ!

TOEE was just another POR2 - it sold well in the firts mnonth due to the D&D name then died out. It sold poorly hence no expansions or sequels and the fact that Troika died after their next agme which, btw, was signed and being amde at the same. They likely got no more deals because of TOEE (as well as BL).

Geez.. Don't be dumb. The fact you continually try to pass of this myth as fact is stupid.

R00fles!

Fez

Erudite
Wasn't NWN an especially big seller though? The expansion packs would have sold better than most of their kind, I'd imagine. The NWN expansions alone could have sold better than most games do. I don't have any figures though, so it's just conjecture on my part. It's hard to know how these things sell without official or reliable figures as it can be surprising how often you find out a game you thought sold badly turns out to have done quite well or that the figures you guessed at were well off the mark.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Wasn't NWN an especially big seller though?"

NMN with expansions including all the avriations/packages has sold 3 mil +. Around 3 mil at last count.

Going by BIO's other series BG. Those expansions sold about 25% of their parent game. So, by that rate, NWN epxansion likely sold about 500k each with NWN1 itself selling 2 mil). And, it should be noted, IIRC, that HOTU came out in October while TOEE came out in Sepetember (number smight be off).

So, while it's true that TOEE outsold the NWN expansions; that's not really anything to be too proud of. POR2 outsold them too, and nobody's braggin' about that game's sales.

TOEE and POR2 have soemthing in common - they both sold very well in the first month of release.. then died swift deaths. NWN1 actually reclimbed the charts over a year after its intial release (just after SOU came out.

WARNING: The timeline might be off a bit. This is, afterall, OLD NEWS.

R00fles!

Fez

Erudite
3 million? Not too shabby at all. You're probably not too far off with those guesses, I'd imagine.

I think for games as well as films the folks behind them are now realising that the long surviving sellers can be something to hope or aim for. Films making more on DVDs, rather than on the opening weekend or games like NWN (or The Sims, even) selling for years and giving a steady profit rather than aiming for one good Christmas. The Sims has been in the charts in one form or another now for years and they must be making obscene amounts of money at a steady pace thanks to that. A lot of people are buying the many expansions for it too.

It sounds like TOEE did sell okay though, it probably made a profit even if it doesn't compare to the massive sales of NWN proper.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I didn't on the BIO games sales. It's from the BIO site.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
500k isn't bad for a game that's been in development for less than two years by a small team. NWN sold 2 mil, but it's been in development for 5 years by a very large team (over 70 people?). The publisher's profit is likely the same in both cases.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
OverrideB1 said:
It's hardly surprising you heathens can't tell the difference between British, Scotish, Irish, Welsh, and English -- although I'd love to see you trying to explain it on a Friday night just after closing time on Sauchiehall Street. See if you can get the explaination in between you calling some hairy-arsed drunken Scot "English" and his fist interestingly (and painfully) rearranging your facial features...

Well, my arse isn't that hairy, but I can be quite sarcastic at you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"500k isn't bad for a game that's been in development for less than two years by a small team. NWN sold 2 mil, but it's been in development for 5 years by a very large team (over 70 people?). The publisher's profit is likely the same in both cases."

1. I doubt TOEE sold 500k copies.

2. I doubt Atari made as money with TOEE as it did with NWN. If it had, we'd have TOEE expnasions, more patches and a sequel. You know like NWN with 2 expansions, a sequel, tons of patches, different releases.

This idea that TOEE was super profitable - now you are comparing it to one of the most successful Western RPGs - is beyond pathetic.

I would have thought you have two days to regroup; you'd get more brains on this issue. I was wrong. :(

Hazelnut

Erudite
Greatatlantic said:
Hazelnut said:
Admiral jimbob said:
I believe you filthy Ahmerikhans call it a "biscuit". And you call biscuits "cookies". Because you're savages.

Americans call scones "biscuits"? No way, you're kidding me right?

These are biscuits, yes...

sides_biscuits.jpg
[/img]

:lol: Wow, they look horrible - I only like fruited scones.

In this respect the British usage of the word biscuit was defined in the defense of a tax judgement found in favor of McVitie's and their product Jaffa Cakes which the Inland Revenue claimed was a biscuit and was therefore liable to value added tax. The successful defense rested on the fact that 'biscuits go soft when stale, whereas cakes go hard when stale.'

You learn something new every day...
:wink:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
1. I doubt TOEE sold 500k copies.
Now you doubt it? A few posts back:

"Those expansions sold about 25% of their parent game. So, by that rate, NWN epxansion likely sold about 500k each...

So, while it's true that TOEE outsold the NWN expansions..."

Make up your mind.

2. I doubt Atari made as money with TOEE as it did with NWN. If it had, we'd have TOEE expnasions, more patches and a sequel. You know like NWN with 2 expansions, a sequel, tons of patches, different releases.
Publishers often operate outside of laws of logic, which is why BG3 - a guaranted hit - was never released, despite being 90% completed. Atari didn't want to dilute the brand with too many DnD games, betting on the DnD online and DnD RTS games instead.

This idea that TOEE was super profitable - now you are comparing it to one of the most successful Western RPGs - is beyond pathetic.
Don't tell me how pathetic my ideas are. Prove me wrong. I presented you my reasoning above. Where is yours?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Wow, they look horrible
Were you being sarcastic? Back when I lived in Japan I ate at Popeye's Chicken specifically for the biscuits (well, and the fries). Also, if you've ever eaten at a Cracker Barrel you know how good good-ole fashioned country biscuits can be.

Military Bases work with several specific fast food chains, as well as a couple restaurants, and usually every base makes deals with local restaurants.
Pizza - Anthony's Pizza (good)
Burgers - Burger King (blah)
Ice Cream - Baskin Robins (blah)
Chicken - Popeye's Chicken (yum)

I haven't had Dairy Queen in so long. They didn't have them in Japan and they don't have them in my town. They had some right before we moved here but the guy who owned them died and they got sold off to Sunrise and Shine breakfast places.

Remember now what I ate in Japan. There were lots of good places to eat. There was a chain called Genghis Khan's Mongolian Barbeque which was awesome. A resaurant called the Dragon had good Japanese food (even though it's very strange to an American palate), and there was a chain of pizza buffet places called Pizza Inn which were pretty mediocre. Japanese people are very fond of sugar-water.

Also, my favorite drink, which you could get out of vending machines, was this stuff called Calpis. It was like flavored carbonated water (not like our sodas, really). I liked the yellow bottle, not the white one. And yes, we made fun of it. Cow piss the drink, comes in yellow and white.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Make up your mind. "

My mind clear for those cna read. I don't doubt TOEE outsold the two NWN expansions during 2004 espicialy since that comes from Atari themselves. i do, in fact, doubt it sold 500k copies hwoever. And, you have yet to prove that it did.

"So, by that rate, NWN epxansion likely sold about 500k each..."

Not in 2004, however. Geez. Can't you even follow. We know that TOEE outsold the expansions in 2004. We do NOT know if it has outsold them overall. Just like the BG series expansions did not sell 500k+ copies in their first year of release neither did the NWN expansions. And, again, outselling expansions is not a surefire way to prove you were a success.

"Don't tell me how pathetic my ideas are."

L0L Whining about me telling you what to do then you try to tell me what to do. Talk about a circle jerk.

" Prove me wrong."

Prove yourself right. Prove that it sold 500k, and was a success.

" I presented you my reasoning above. Where is yours?"

I gavce you my anecdotal evidence just as you have me yours. You claim that because it outsold two EXPANSIONS during one year that somehow makes it a success. You then make a claim that it sold 500+k copies with no actual proof. I also put forth the fact that outside of Bl which was already signed, Troika couldn't find any backers to even make another game. if TOEE was even remotely a success; I';m sure that at the very least Atari would have got them to do another or at least another minor publisher would take the bait. But, no........ Absolutely NOTHING.

So, in essence, you didn't read anything I wrote, because I have posted my reasoning for felling that TOEE was ultimately a failure MULTIPLE times.

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Hazelnut said:
Greatatlantic said:
Hazelnut said:
Admiral jimbob said:
I believe you filthy Ahmerikhans call it a "biscuit". And you call biscuits "cookies". Because you're savages.

Americans call scones "biscuits"? No way, you're kidding me right?

These are biscuits, yes...

sides_biscuits.jpg
[/img]

:lol: Wow, they look horrible - I only like fruited scones.

In this respect the British usage of the word biscuit was defined in the defense of a tax judgement found in favor of McVitie's and their product Jaffa Cakes which the Inland Revenue claimed was a biscuit and was therefore liable to value added tax. The successful defense rested on the fact that 'biscuits go soft when stale, whereas cakes go hard when stale.'

You learn something new every day...
:wink:

No...american biscuits are not scones. That's ridiculous.

psycojester

Arbiter
Personally i'm just really fucking confused as to why the scones are posing patriotically against a flag

Jim Kata

Arbiter
As for toee the bugs were ridiculous. Even if it were profitable it still likely would not get a sequel on those grounds alone. Much as I liked it, companies that release a game like that (both troika and atari) don't deserve to go on. They could easily have had a programmer spend a few months patching it on a contract basis or at the very least just incorporated the changes made by the circle of 8. If they didn't have the money to do that they basically did not have the money to continue on, anyhow.

For that matter arcanum was basically an amazing game that was 95% done. and in that state only a 'pretty good' game. They should have known from day one that it's a hit-run bidness and planned accordingly. If they have polished arcanum and ditched the idiotic realtime combat they would be in bidness today making arcanum 3 which would be selling nearly on par with NWN2. In software it's really easy to make 90% done products, but 90% done products aren't worth a damn and users will choose 100% done products even if they are much shittier in many ways.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Popeye's biscuits are pretty kickass, but King Comrade obviously hasn't been anywhere near the tri-state area if he thinks Anthony's Pizza is good.

Hazelnut

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Wow, they look horrible
Were you being sarcastic?

No - they look like savory scones, and possibly very salty tasting 'cheese' scones which make me feel ill, hence they look horrible. How's that for an objective appraisal eh? ;)

kingcomrade said:
Back when I lived in Japan I ate at Popeye's Chicken... ...eaten at a Cracker Barrel... ...specific fast food chains, as...
Pizza - Anthony's Pizza (good)
Burgers - Burger King (blah)
Ice Cream - Baskin Robins (blah)
Chicken - Popeye's Chicken (yum)

I haven't had Dairy Queen in so long... ...Sunrise and Shine breakfast places...

I bow down to your superior knowledge of fast food KC! :D

I have heard of, and even eaten in, a Burger King.. but the rest are foreign to me.

If I need fast food (very rare) I'll try to find a Subway. (yum)

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Volourn said:
"Make up your mind. "

My mind clear for those cna read. I don't doubt TOEE outsold the two NWN expansions during 2004 espicialy since that comes from Atari themselves. i do, in fact, doubt it sold 500k copies hwoever. And, you have yet to prove that it did.

"So, by that rate, NWN epxansion likely sold about 500k each..."

Not in 2004, however. Geez. Can't you even follow. We know that TOEE outsold the expansions in 2004. We do NOT know if it has outsold them overall. Just like the BG series expansions did not sell 500k+ copies in their first year of release neither did the NWN expansions. And, again, outselling expansions is not a surefire way to prove you were a success.

"Don't tell me how pathetic my ideas are."

L0L Whining about me telling you what to do then you try to tell me what to do. Talk about a circle jerk.

" Prove me wrong."

Prove yourself right. Prove that it sold 500k, and was a success.

" I presented you my reasoning above. Where is yours?"

I gavce you my anecdotal evidence just as you have me yours. You claim that because it outsold two EXPANSIONS during one year that somehow makes it a success. You then make a claim that it sold 500+k copies with no actual proof. I also put forth the fact that outside of Bl which was already signed, Troika couldn't find any backers to even make another game. if TOEE was even remotely a success; I';m sure that at the very least Atari would have got them to do another or at least another minor publisher would take the bait. But, no........ Absolutely NOTHING.

So, in essence, you didn't read anything I wrote, because I have posted my reasoning for felling that TOEE was ultimately a failure MULTIPLE times.

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Shut up, dear, we're talking about scones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom