Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect interview: Cap'n Shepard = Jack Bauer

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not in 2004.

Ebondark

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Ebondark said:
Vault Dweller said:
ToEE did rather well, and it was the best selling game for Atari for awhile.

ToEE tanked and Atari is not in the best financial situation.
Really?
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4545

"Atari has released their 10-K report for their fiscal year that ended in March 2004. Interestingly enough, Temple of Elemental Evil was their numero uno PC CRPG during that year. The two expansion packs to Neverwinter Nights fell somewhat below that. The only strictly PC platform game to beat out ToEE in terms of sales was UT2004. It was the numero tres seller of all Atari's PC releases total."

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=11825

Yeah that Atari really is doing great.

Did you note that in '04 that they posted a loss of almost $4 million in Net Income as compared to '03 ... boy that ToEE really saved their ass.

When you aren't selling shit it's not hard for shit to be your #1 seller.

Anyway I have to roll boys have fun.

Ebondark

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Not in 2004.

Go look up their financials in '04. They are still out on the web. They went down from 23 Mill to 18 or 19 mill.

They tanked in '04 and have been steadily decreasing ever since. Hence why they fired the CFO that company is bleeding money.

Tootles.

suibhne

Erudite
Ebondark said:
[Did you note that in '04 that they posted a loss of almost $4 million in Net Income as compared to '03 ... boy that ToEE really saved their ass.

Burn, straw man, burn!

Your first argument was "ToEE tanked horribly", and now it's "Atari tanked horribly and ToEE didn't save their ass". Look, UT2k4 was a big seller that year, one of the top-selling PC games on the market - but by your logic, it "tanked horribly". Uh, lol?

There's some (limited) evidence that ToEE was profitable and sold reasonably well. (It wasn't a relatively costly game to develop; it probably broke even below 150K units.) There's absolutely no evidence that it "tanked", certainly not that it "tanked horribly"; the fact that Atari bit the big one says little about individual sales of ToEE, other than that they weren't astronomical, enough to singlehandedly safeguard Atari's corporate future. And yeah, you win that argument - mostly because nobody's arguing with you. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ebondark said:
Vault Dweller said:
Not in 2004.

Go look up their financials in '04. They are still out on the web. They went down from 23 Mill to 18 or 19 mill.
So they lost 10-15%. Not the end of the world. The point is ToEE sold pretty damn good, outselling NWN RT expansions, and if Atari had enough business sense to invest into more TB modules, they wouldn't be in the situation they are in today.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Volourn said:
"Not in 2004."

You jokin' right? :?

His last post, preserved for all eternity.
Companions, a true friend leaves us. Take heart in the loss of this valiant martyr, and do not despair! There will be a life after Volourn. Bleak at first, but in time, you'll see, we'll grow a strong oaken tree from what little sapling his removal left behind.

:honourblade:

Fez

Erudite
You have to include the "u" what with him being from the dark depths of the northern wastelands.

OverrideB1

Scholar
@Ebondark

Look, ME is going to be a commercially successful, action-RPG (heavy on the action, light on the RPG). I get a grand choice of 1 character to play (whoo-hoo, I can play a female version of the exact same character: there's major fucking innovashun right there). ME will have a squillion dollar advertising campaign -- sorry, an EXTREME advertising campaign -- run by a mouthy gobshite in the Pete Hines mould. (Long on hyperbole, short on actual content -- the gaming industry's equivalent of never mind the quality, feel the width.

Will it be successful? Of course -- it's just the sort of graphics heavy, mindless crap that sells a shitload of copies nowadays.

Will I like it? Probably not unless BW do a serious u-turn somewhere along the way.

Will I buy it? Nope, and not unless BW do a major u-turn along the way.

Do I need to justify either of these decisions, or my opinion, to you? Of course I don't. No more than I have to justify why I'll be buying AoD or why I think it'll kick the crap out of these multi-million dollar extravaganzas with there EXTREME graphics, shallow gameplay, and shitty, derivative story-lines.

I was sitting, eating a scone, minding my own business, when an advert of some sort comes on the TV for some shitty gung-ho actiony show with Mozart's Requiem horribly and unneccesarily tacked on.
The narrator comes on, and says:

"We are the elite.

"Fighting... *something something* and if we must go to the extreme to do it, *something something* because we are the best of the best."
It finished with a dramatic shot of a bald man shouting at his squadmate while explosions went off metres away for no discernable reason.
I think the show was also called "Elite", but didn't quite catch the whole thing. Just thought I'd let you all know... I'll be watching it for sure, if I can find out when it's on.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
We're refined peoples who have retained original English meaning and inflection while those stuck on the storied but embarassingly degenerate motherland mutated.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Admiral jimbob said:
I believe you filthy Ahmerikhans call it a "biscuit". And you call biscuits "cookies". Because you're savages.

Americans call scones "biscuits"? No way, you're kidding me right?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Hazelnut said:
Admiral jimbob said:
I believe you filthy Ahmerikhans call it a "biscuit". And you call biscuits "cookies". Because you're savages.

Americans call scones "biscuits"? No way, you're kidding me right?

These are biscuits, yes...

sides_biscuits.jpg
[/img]

SlavemasterT

Arcane
I'm confused - the English call biscuits "scones"? And what - they call cookies "biscuits"? I really don't understand.

Next you're going to tell me that they call enjoying their tea and strumpets something else entirely.

OverrideB1

Scholar
SlavemasterT said:
I'm confused - the English call biscuits "scones"? And what - they call cookies "biscuits"? I really don't understand.

Next you're going to tell me that they call enjoying their tea and strumpets something else entirely.
Yes, tea with strumpets is called a perversion: tea with crumpets on the other hand...

SlavemasterT said:
If your provincial subdivisions mattered, maybe we'd bother to remember them.
It's hardly surprising you heathens can't tell the difference between British, Scotish, Irish, Welsh, and English -- although I'd love to see you trying to explain it on a Friday night just after closing time on Sauchiehall Street. See if you can get the explaination in between you calling some hairy-arsed drunken Scot "English" and his fist interestingly (and painfully) rearranging your facial features...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom