Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Old Republic Trailer!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
Off-topic, but I'm too lazy to start a new thread. How's The Force Unleashed? Reviews were... mixed, to put it mildly.
Instead of playing the game, open up YouTube and see all the cinematics in order.

Fyz

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
Instead of playing the game, open up YouTube and see all the cinematics in order.
Sadly that seems to be a good routine for every game nowadays.
Devs: -story +gameplay please!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
Hümmelgümpf said:
Off-topic, but I'm too lazy to start a new thread. How's The Force Unleashed? Reviews were... mixed, to put it mildly.
I suppose this all I need to know, especially if it's coming from a self-confessed SW fanboy. Thanks.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Inziladun said:
Call me petty, but is anyone else upset everytime they see tha good guyz with the green and blue sabers fight the bad guyz with the red ones?

I mean seriously, the fan boys explained it away for the movies, but what's the excuse this time?

I also like how everything is like the prequels, only an "older" version. Yeah, how far ahead of the movies did KOTOR take place again?
Ehm, because at least since the new SW movies red is for Sith, other colours for Jedi. Why should that "excuse" change?

KotOR (and thus TOR) is 4000 years before the New Republic, IIRC.

The setting is quite weak on "realism". The unrealistical lack of development over time is just another part of that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
That was a pretty fucking sweet CG trailer, other than obvious evil bad guy is obvious.

Sadly the game play will be nothing like the trailer. Grind, Grind, Grind, lewt! Repeat!

And the main villain from the trailer will be a top raidboss which will require 40 people to kill him. So he will drop some phat lewt only a pair of guys will get and everyone else will have to wait for 5 days before Darth Malak respawns.

The game will also be full of Jedi and Sith shouting "you fucking faggot!" at each other while grinding 100000000th mob to advance to lvl 10 out of 80 and PKing people at rest just for teh lulz.

Inziladun

Magister
Shannow said:
]Ehm, because at least since the new SW movies red is for Sith, other colours for Jedi. Why should that "excuse" change?

KotOR (and thus TOR) is 4000 years before the New Republic, IIRC.

The setting is quite weak on "realism". The unrealistical lack of development over time is just another part of that.

Why not have some respect for your audience and not have to tell them who's the bad guy and who's the good guy based on a simple color. Or do you think since George Lucas aimed for the lowest common denominator with the prequels that everyone else has a reason to as well.

Yeah, but at least KOTOR actually had a different art style than the movies. This art style seems way to close to the prequels to have happened even a hundred years earlier.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It makes pretty simple sense for the Sith to use lightsabers with red crystals.

Those red crystals are a special substance that the Sith harvest for making lightsabers. They become more potent with the emotional energy of the user, and Sith are trained on the strength of strong emotions.

Inziladun

Magister
Really? I always thought the explanation was because the Jedi had control of all the caves that had anything other than red crystals.

They're both pretty contrived if you ask me.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Contrived? Sith are all about strong emotions and if anything helps them channel such emotions, they will use it.

It's why the Sith also developed the Sith Lightsaber, which is a double-bladed lightsaber, that is based on the power of their aggression.

Oh and before anyone points out, yes, Star Wars game have even good guys using double-bladed lightsabers, but that's only because they have got the setting wrong.

Fyz

Scholar
Sith quest #13: Goblins have taken over the red crystal caves. Kill 10 of them, harvest 5 crystals and return.

Deleted Member 10432

Well, the VO was ripped from The Phantom Menace, the fight was RotS all over again, the music borrowed from the films and from KotOR II... again. The CG was made to look like Episode III rather than KotOR III. What we can gather from this is that the MMO will be t3h 3p1ck b4tt3l between the Jedi and the Sith. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

I thought I might actually end up getting excited about this game again, but I find myself actually less interested after the trailer. Suffice to say, I reckon skyway nailed it. And I don't think I've ever agreed with skyway before. :?

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:
That was a pretty fucking sweet CG trailer, other than obvious evil bad guy is obvious.

Sadly the game play will be nothing like the trailer. Grind, Grind, Grind, lewt! Repeat!

And the main villain from the trailer will be a top raidboss which will require 40 people to kill him. So he will drop some phat lewt only a pair of guys will get and everyone else will have to wait for 5 days before Darth Malak respawns.

The game will also be full of Jedi and Sith shouting "you fucking faggot!" at each other while grinding 100000000th mob to advance to lvl 10 out of 80 and PKing people at rest just for teh lulz.

Yup. I fucking hate the MMO genre. I'd be more interested if this was a proper KOTOR sequel instead of just another goddamn MMO, but since it is, fuck it.

Deleted Member 10432

Silellak said:
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:

Yup. I fucking hate the MMO genre. I'd be more interested if this was a proper KOTOR sequel instead of just another goddamn MMO, but since it is, fuck it.
+1

Deleted member 7219

Silellak said:
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Biowarian plot twist in The Old Republic: Malak is Vader's very very very very distant relative.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Imbecile said:
racofer said:
Less and less incentive to upgrade my computer. Each. Passing. Day.

Could I interest you in a console good sir?

;)

No thanks, good sir. I will just wait until $200 laptops have a strong enough onboard video card to run everything I run today and live happily ever after with my oldies.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I'D BE MORE INTERESTED IF THIS WAS A PROPER KOTOR SEQUEL INSTEAD OF JUST ANOTHER GODDAMN MMO, BUT SINCE IT IS, FUCK IT.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What a shock.. the codex hivemind didn't like it.

For myself, I thought the trailer was fantastic. I'd have rather watched that for two hours than the horrible shit served to us as prequels.

I don't expect the game to be anything like that, so it has not impacted my anticipation of the MMO, (or lack thereof), in any way. But... for a cgi cinematic, it was really quite good.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom