Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Old Republic Trailer!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Wyrmlord said:
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

That looked so fucking sweet! That looked so fucking sweet.

Shameless Star Wars nerd here. The Sith Lord Revan attacking the Jedi Council, a female Mandalorian bounty hunter assisting him by crashing a ship onto the council, if that is not the epitome of WIN for a Star Wars fanboy, I do not know what is!

Not Revan, I wager.

Still, I must say that was one awesome looking cinematic. The game will be nothing like it, but still, great job.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Inziladun said:
Why not have some respect for your audience and not have to tell them who's the bad guy and who's the good guy based on a simple color. Or do you think since George Lucas aimed for the lowest common denominator with the prequels that everyone else has a reason to as well.
The whole SW crap aside, you do realize that you are basically whining: "Soldiers wear uniforms. You know who's the bad guy and who's the good guy based on a simple color(pattern)"?
Just saying.

wrathofdog

Scholar
The trailer was totally great, but I'm not exited for this game at all. If only it wasn't a MMO. :(

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Why is it that seeing this trailer I get the feeling that DA is just a second-rate Bio product destined for the bargain bin, while the bulk of the company's "talent" and resources were occupied in other projects?

DemonKing

Arcane
Inziladun said:
Why not have some respect for your audience and not have to tell them who's the bad guy and who's the good guy based on a simple color.

I seem to remember Storm Troopers were bad guys in white from the first films, plus Luke goes from white, to tan to black garb by Return of the Jedi.

The trailer looks great but like most others here, I imagine the game will probably suck unless you think MMOs are fun.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Really nicely rendered trailer, great action, good weight... Too bad the game is just going be hours upon hours of Bioware applying as much of the WoW formula as they can to their utterly half-baked KotOR setting.

I"d love to be excited about this game. I'd love to be excited about a Bioware game again, about a Star Wars game again, but jesus christ this is just going to be more of the same ad-inifinitum.

Also, problem I've always had with the KotOR games: We've seen what the time 4,000 or so years before the films looks like, way back in the mid-90's in the comics. It was a visually disparate version of the Star Wars universe that set up a decent and comprehensive continuity, so why the fuck isn't Bioware using it? Their design work in the screens for this is so utterly bland it makes Mass Effect look like Bioshock.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That was a pretty awesome trailer. Bioware should make movies, because we all know this MMO is going to suck.

Inziladun

Magister
Shannow said:
Inziladun said:
Why not have some respect for your audience and not have to tell them who's the bad guy and who's the good guy based on a simple color. Or do you think since George Lucas aimed for the lowest common denominator with the prequels that everyone else has a reason to as well.
The whole SW crap aside, you do realize that you are basically whining: "Soldiers wear uniforms. You know who's the bad guy and who's the good guy based on a simple color(pattern)"?
Just saying.

Not really. Because Uniforms serve much more of a legitimate purpose than Lightsaber color.

I seem to remember Storm Troopers were bad guys in white from the first films, plus Luke goes from white, to tan to black garb by Return of the Jedi.

Not sure what your point is.

kris

Arcane
Inziladun said:
Shannow said:
Inziladun said:
Just saying.

Not really. Because Uniforms serve much more of a legitimate purpose than Lightsaber color.

George Lucas always made it quite apparent who is the good and bad guys. He was always into symbolism and built the empire based on the third reich. I never seen why they would even need a motivation for why they use a certain color of the lightsaber. That they do it out of tradition suffice.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You know the most astounding thing about this trailer?

It's that it comes from a developer which makes bad trailers.

BioWare has a history of lame and uninspired trailers. Mass Effect's trailer looked dull. KotOR's was just a brief set of gameplay videos. The DA trailers have been rather bad.

This on the other hand is them flipping onto the other deep end of awesome. To show Sith burning down Coruscant, and a Mandalorian women delightfully blowing up Jedi is just reading the dedicated Star Wars fan's mind and giving him exactly what he wants.

Andhaira

Arcane
Well seeing all the praise the trailer got makes me want to see it for myself now. Good thing I have dsl!

AndhairaX said:
Well seeing all the praise the trailer got makes me want to see it for myself now. Good thing I have dsl!
Wayt wut. You posted the trailer without even viewing it yourself? For shame...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Inziladun said:
Almost every martial group/society uses easily distinguishable symbols to set them apart from other martial groups. Whether those are uniforms, "special" uniforms or tokens, etc doesn't really matter. It's pretty common. So I don't see why lightsaber colour should be "dumbed down" but green berets, katanas, all black ss uniforms, templar crosses, silver skull tokens, etc, etc are cool...

Talonfire

Scholar
Silellak said:
Yup. I fucking hate the MMO genre. I'd be more interested if this was a proper KOTOR sequel instead of just another goddamn MMO, but since it is, fuck it.

Yup, I feel somewhat dirty agreeing with the majority of the Codex but I have to on this one.

Shameless Star Wars nerd here. The Sith Lord Revan attacking the Jedi Council, a female Mandalorian bounty hunter assisting him by crashing a ship onto the council, if that is not the epitome of WIN for a Star Wars fanboy, I do not know what is!

Wouldn't Revan be dead a few hundred years after KotOR? Last I checked, he wasn't Yoda.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
This would only have a chance of being good if it was completely grindless, like Guild Wars, but somehow, I think it's highly unlikely.

Talonfire

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
This would only have a chance of being good if it was completely grindless, like Guild Wars, but somehow, I think it's highly unlikely.

Considering BioWare's staggering lack of originality, I'd expect World of Warcraft with a Star Wars skin. Anticipate hours upon hours of wonderful, addictive grinding and mystical equipment rat races while watching hundreds upon hundreds of scantly clad Twi'lek Jedi running around killing Tachs.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Well, at least it's a pretty trailer, albeit the Jedi jumping around made me lol.

Tails

Arbiter
What a joke... it looks like Star Wars meets Matrix and Dragonball Z :oldtrilogywhore:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Attempts at Slow Mo in this trailer are p. much fail and made me lol. Otherwise the ending of the trailer looked good - the beginning and how badly the characters are drawn - not so much. Especially when I remembered Blizzard trailers.

ever

Scholar
This is gay

Why does EVERYONE have a light saber. Everyone should have like a shoddy little pistol and only the truly 1337 be given the lightsaber but nooooo they have to make everyone get a lightsaber

f this

DiverNB

Liturgist
It would be cool if it was going to be like the original Star Wars Galaxies

That is, before SOE made everyone a light saber wielding badass. The CGI was cool, but I don't understand why Bioware had to make it a fucking MMO, should have just let Obsidian continue with the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom