Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Old Republic Trailer!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Finally watched the trailer in HD - simply amazing. It's truly better than all 3 new movies combined and I wish it was a 3D movie, not a shitty - because they only come in one flavor - MMO.

And now I shall watch the trailer again.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Talonfire said:
Silellak said:
Yup. I fucking hate the MMO genre. I'd be more interested if this was a proper KOTOR sequel instead of just another goddamn MMO, but since it is, fuck it.

Yup, I feel somewhat dirty agreeing with the majority of the Codex but I have to on this one.

Shameless Star Wars nerd here. The Sith Lord Revan attacking the Jedi Council, a female Mandalorian bounty hunter assisting him by crashing a ship onto the council, if that is not the epitome of WIN for a Star Wars fanboy, I do not know what is!

Wouldn't Revan be dead a few hundred years after KotOR? Last I checked, he wasn't Yoda.
As far as I know, the powers of the dark side can prolong life by centuries. The fact that this "Lord Angral" seems to be an ancient person who is returning to attack the Republic can very well mean that he is Revan returned. Especially seeing how pivotal Revan is as a character.

But then again, I reckon canon determined Revan as female? (Oh boy, those were incessant disputes in BioWare's forums)

So it could very well be The Exile himself. Since he was canonically male. But scratch that, The Exile would not work.

But anyway, that Wiki entry seems to indicate that this Angral is a True Sith himself, one of the Sith who went away to fringe space along with the other Sith Lords and bided his time for several centuries to fight back. He might be someone that Revan and The Exile awakened.

racofer

Thread Incliner
The question that matters is: if one plays this MMO, is he/she guaranteed to become a jeedai? That means, full force control and a lightsaber? Also if that doesn't happen because, lets say, bioware decides that jedis are a limited class and what determines if one will be a jedi or not is dependable on outside player control events, and one is not happy about that, can this person get a full refund?

Because there's no fucking way in hell they can come up with a star wars mmo and somehow limit who gets to play as a jedi/sith and expect people to be happy about it.

Other than that, is anyone in here, at the codex, seriously considering buying this shit? I honestly can't believe anyone would fall for this crap. The trailer is amazing, yes. If bioware decided to make a full movie out of this (animated), and it packed the same quality displayed on this trailer, then hell yes I would buy the movie and watch it over and over, if not for plot, simply for the amazing animation quality. But, despite the trailer, I can't seriously imagine anyone with a slight degree of self awareness falling for this kind of marketing strategy. If trailers of non-ingame content were enough to define a purchase, then 90% of the codex would be playing WoW by now.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wyrmlord said:
As far as I know, the powers of the dark side can prolong life by centuries. The fact that this "Lord Angral" seems to be an ancient person who is returning to attack the Republic can very well mean that he is Revan returned. Especially seeing how pivotal Revan is as a character.

But then again, I reckon canon determined Revan as female? (Oh boy, those were incessant disputes in BioWare's forums)

So it could very well be The Exile himself. Since he was canonically male. But scratch that, The Exile would not work.

But anyway, that Wiki entry seems to indicate that this Angral is a True Sith himself, one of the Sith who went away to fringe space along with the other Sith Lords and bided his time for several centuries to fight back. He might be someone that Revan and The Exile awakened.

My bad. Lord Angral and the Sith Emperor are two different people.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Angral
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Emperor

And Revan is male. Jedi Exile is female.

1eyedking

Erudite
Yeah, we all know realism = fun.

Also, Star Wars sucks; nothing but a bland, generic, childish and sold-out franchise.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I don't like modern jedi, all the fancy pants acrobatics is gay as fuck. Luke twatting vader near the end of RoTJ is still unbeatable.

The female mandalorian is pretty cool in this though.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
For years, KOTOR fans were speculating who, or perhaps what the ‘True Sith’, mentioned by Kreia at the end of “The Sith Lords”, were. In ‘The Old Republic’ MMO, BioWare made them be the survivors of Naga Sadow’s Empire from the Great Hyperspace War.
My question is who/what the ‘True Sith’ were in your concept? Descendants of King Adas’s ancient Sith Empire? A completly unknown and separate gropu of the Dark Side of the Force users? Or perhaps the ‘True Sith’ was not suppoused to be an organization, but rather an idea?

They were survivors of Naga Sadow’s empire. Much like the Shadows in Babylon 5, they were orchestrating the collapse of the Republic from behind the scenes, interfering with key events to cause echoes through the Force and leave it ripe for invasion – hopefully without a shot even being fired. In essence, they were changing the shape of the galaxy through manipulation of specific people and conflicts, much like Sidious did, but on an even larger scale than Episode 1 through 3.

The idea was that in Knights of the Old Republic II, Revan slowly became aware of this underlying threat (because Revan is a tactical badass) and went off to seek out the true source of the threat to the galaxy. This was why he was trying to keep the Old Republic infrastructure intact so he could use it against the Sith. Anyway. Fairy tales and legends and what might have been, but that was the intent, yes.

TOR is following Chris's KOTOR 2 plot, surprisingly.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really great trailer. They must have some guys from the movie business on board.

Of course, doesn't say anything about the game...
But somehow, I'm optimistic. Not as optimistic as with Champions Online, but still ...

kris

Arcane
racofer said:
The question that matters is: if one plays this MMO, is he/she guaranteed to become a jeedai? That means, full force control and a lightsaber?

Jedi is a class, like Sith and Bountyhunter. Those are all classes I heard off (when I watched the video interviews) but they say there are more and that they will all play very different...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
My bad. Lord Angral and the Sith Emperor are two different people.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Angral
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Emperor

And Revan is male. Jedi Exile is female.
Aaaaah, so you see, this Lord Angral is an already established character, and this Sacking Of Coruscant is from the existing Star Wars canon.

I like how BioWare represented these comic book characters.

They showed this
180px-UnknownSithLord.JPG

as this
angral.png

and this
250px-Orgus.jpg

as this
orgundis.png

Man, they really worked up the art direction on these characters real good.

Moreover, they are using already existing Star Wars characters instead of creating new ones, so this game will not have any nonsense that contradicts the existing Star Wars universe, as was the case in both the KotORs.

Not that I am interested in this game at all, but they really worked up the coolness factor on it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
kris said:
Jedi is a class, like Sith and Bountyhunter. Those are all classes I heard off (when I watched the video interviews) but they say there are more and that they will all play very different...

Some time ago (a week?) they revealed the Smuggler class.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
I read somewhere that there is no text in regards to character interaction. Style wise- I hate all the floating text in MMO's, it kinda kills the illusion for me. This could 'help' make the game more enticing to some.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ_ZaXN0OY

Man, this is a pretty interesting and intelligently jotted down plotline.

This particular Sith are really really smart. And they bring down the Republic to its knees and utterly humiliate it.

Of course, they seem to be the True Sith, not the weak and inefficient pawns that were Malak and Revan.

DaveO

Erudite
I hate to say this, but it's JUST a trailer. No gameplay in the video. Nobody in their right mind is going to be sold something based on just the cover. It's like buying a game based on reviews. If you believed the 90% review score, Black and White must still be one of the best games ever.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
DaveO said:
I hate to say this, but it's JUST a trailer. No gameplay in the video. Nobody in their right mind is going to be sold something based on just the cover. It's like buying a game based on reviews. If you believed the 90% review score, Black and White must still be one of the best games ever.
Nobody in this thread has praised the game; only the fine trailer.

Andhaira

Arcane
Actually gameplay videos are up on youtube. Graphic wise it seems behind the times.

Vival

Augur
That was pretty impressive. I assume that trailer was made by Blur. Those guys really know their shit when it comes cgi animation.

kris

Arcane
DaveO said:

This post is so out of touch with the thread I believe it may even be a bot posting.

Ausir

Arcane
Aaaaah, so you see, this Lord Angral is an already established character, and this Sacking Of Coruscant is from the existing Star Wars canon.

The "existing Star Wars canon" here is just the TOR tie-in comic, written by a BioWare employee.

And the Sith Lord in the trailer has not been officially identified as Angral nor the Emperor yet.

Moreover, they are using already existing Star Wars characters instead of creating new ones, so this game will not have any nonsense that contradicts the existing Star Wars universe, as was the case in both the KotORs.

Not really, all of these characters were made up for the game and only then used in the tie-in comic.

felicity

Scholar
Traditional MMO gameplay doesn't mix well with Starwars universe. How can the gameplay make sense? Jedi are pacifists, they don't go to "adventure" and slaughter as many creatures as possible. A tactical FPS may work, but then it is not a MMO.

Talonfire

Scholar
They better make all of those inevitable Twi'lek dancer Jedi who say "u fucking faggot!!!!1111" canon, because that will probably be more interesting than the actual story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom