Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New skyrim previews

Stalin

Scholar
the anti walk through advises to take only useless skills as majors which sort of defeats the purpose

dextermorgan

Arcane
Luzur said:
he cant, cuz Todd says so.

So you think Todd is the dominant one in their relationship? I dunno. Jaesun, what do you think?

Todd-Howard.jpg

Does he like to take it or prefers giving it to Mastermind?

Stalin said:
the anti walk through advises to take only useless skills as majors which sort of defeats the purpose

Yes, but using offensive skills in majors you can still get by. Problem with Alchemy is, they gave it an offensive application (poison) but it's absolutely no match for LS.

Captain Shrek

>Arguing with Mastermind.

Its fine with me. Please stop quoting him though. :salute:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dextermorgan said:
Mastermind said:
Bullshit. You can finish the entire game with alchemy as a major skill using nothing but that and a weapon to apply poison with. Though not nearly to the same extent as morrowind, there are many ways to skin a cat in Oblivion.

You're full of shit, as always. Having alchemy in your majors will cause you to level up if you do a major bout of potion-making and completely break the game because the buffs/poison damage from potions your supposedly superior skill allows you to make becomes completely useless against scaled monsters.

Stop lying through your teeth.

I went in-game to see the damage my poisons did (i'm at level 3 with about 45 alchemy on my current run). Then I wanted to compare the damage to the health of monsters at my level and imagine my surprise to see that there are no monsters that level with the player until you hit level 15. :smug:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Creatures

Even then, the shaman will have less hit points than non-leveled creatures like the brown bear until well into your 20s so the scaling isn't an issue.

What`s wrong dexter? Got your face caved in by a troll and decided to blame "level scaling" for what a shitty player you really are? Who's really lying through his teeth now, bitch?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Captain Shrek said:
>Arguing with Mastermind.

Its fine with me. Please stop quoting him though. :salute:

Stop crying you whiny little bitch. The world doesn't revolve around you and your sensitive little feelings. If you can't as much as stop yourself from reading the posts of people you don't like you might as well abandon the internet altogether before you end up killing yourself like that kid in the skynews GD thread.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Ahahaha, I thought you always tagged Alchemy? How are you level 3 with 45 in the skill then? Transparent lies don't constitute trolling you know. You're just proving what a shithead you are. Again and again.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
dextermorgan said:
Ahahaha, I thought you always tagged Alchemy? How are you level 3 with 45 in the skill then? Transparent lies don't constitute trolling you know. You're just proving what a shithead you are. Again and again.

25(major start point)+5(race bonus)+29(most you can get before hitting level 4 with it as major) = 59. 45 is well below that.

Math is hard.

DraQ

Arcane
Stalin said:
Well, if there is no possibility of failure and everything scales to your level, there is no incentive not to.

In Morrowind the possible benefits would be weak, as levelling is subtle and limited so it's virtually impossible to put yourself at disadvantage by levelling up, while the disadvantage would be crippling, because you'd be unable to actually use your preferred skills with any reasonable degree of success.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DraQ said:
Stalin said:
Well, if there is no possibility of failure and everything scales to your level, there is no incentive not to.

In Morrowind the possible benefits would be weak, as levelling is subtle and limited so it's virtually impossible to put yourself at disadvantage by levelling up, while the disadvantage would be crippling, because you'd be unable to actually use your preferred skills with any reasonable degree of success.

Yes, training skills for free by draining your skills to 0 beforehand is "crippling". :lol:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Mastermind said:
dextermorgan said:

25(major start point)+5(race bonus)+29(most you can get before hitting level 4 with it as major) = 59. 45 is well below that.

Math is hard.

Math is teh easy, suffering through the shitfest that is Oblivion is hard. And I'm sure this will come as a surprise but I feel absolutely no shame in forgetting about how that abomination "works". None at all.

As for your previous "testing", how nice of you to center your entire argument around leveling alchemy before level scaling kicks in. Because it's not like I ever claimed that leveling Alchemy broke the game because of level scaling or anything.

:thumbsup:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
dextermorgan said:
Mastermind said:
dextermorgan said:

Math is hard.

Math is teh easy, suffering through the shitfest that is Oblivion is hard. And I'm sure this will come as a surprise but I feel absolutely no shame in forgetting about how that abomination "works". None at all.

I never really expected you to feel any shame whatsoever. I do feel pretty smug though. :smug:

As for your previous "testing", how nice of you to center your entire argument around leveling alchemy before level scaling kicks in. Because it's not like I ever claimed that leveling Alchemy broke the game because of level scaling or anything.

:thumbsup:

By the time level scaling kicks in you can grab master equipment and should have long hit 100 in alchemy. At their best a triple damage poison will deal over 900 damage by the time its effects run through. That will kill anything that's not immune to poison until your 30s, scaling or no scaling. Scaling mostly ruins the end game by not letting you be a 1 hit KO god but I can't imagine you or most of the other console kiddies ever really got to that point.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Mastermind said:
I never really expected you to feel any shame whatsoever. I do feel pretty smug though. :smug:
But at the same time you're fully aware that your superior knowledge of a shitty game is a dubious quality to say the least. :smug:

Mastermind said:
By the time level scaling kicks in you can grab master equipment and should have long hit 100 in alchemy.
What if I hadn't? I thought there were more ways than one to skin a cat in Oblivon?

Or maybe not.

Mastermind said:
Scaling mostly ruins the end game by not letting you be a 1 hit KO god but I can't imagine you or most of the other console kiddies ever really got to that point
:lol:

Even your straw men suck.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
dextermorgan said:
But at the same time you're fully aware that your superior knowledge of a shitty game is a dubious quality to say the least. :smug:

It's only a shitty game to grossly inconsistent codexfags.

Mastermind said:
By the time level scaling kicks in you can grab master equipment and should have long hit 100 in alchemy.

What if I hadn't? I thought there were more ways than one to skin a cat in Oblivon?
[/quote]

Then you're just as dumb as someone getting 100 in melee and running around with a rusty dagger wondering why he can't kill anything. More ways to skin a cat = using stuff like paralyzing poison or invisibility/chameleon to get past said encounter. Or combining invisibility with poison to take down a target you have to kill. Or just use a staff, they're the best weapon in the game and are not tied to any skill. :smug:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Mastermind said:
It's only a shitty game to grossly inconsistent codexfags.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mastermind said:
Then you're just as dumb as someone getting 100 in melee and running around with a rusty dagger wondering why he can't kill anything. More ways to skin a cat = using stuff like paralyzing poison or invisibility/chameleon to get past said encounter. Or combining invisibility with poison to take down a target you have to kill. Or just use a staff, they're the best weapon in the game and are not tied to any skill. :smug:

You're hilarious. Enjoy your hopelessly broken LARP simulator. And for the record, you have failed to prove that leveling Alchemy cannot break the game.

:smug:

MCA
DraQ said:
shaking in zoomed in mode

This is about the most retarded RP mechanic to show up in FP games when pixel accuracy is the decisive factor because you can bypass and negate it with manual skill. Case in point: with zero investment in Guns skill and Agility at 6, I was doing head shot kills at extreme ranges in New Vegas.

Plus the frequency of a shake IRL when you aim with a scoped weapon or look through binocular without support is a lot more intense in a millimetric spread which would make you puke when adapted in a game because eye-adaptation doesn't work the same way on a monitor. Just say no zoom-shaking in games. Other non-invasive graphics could be used to convey just how badly it shakes, like "vibrating" edge lines with alpha channel around the lens, without fucking up your view.

DraQ

Arcane
villain of the story said:
DraQ said:
shaking in zoomed in mode

This is about the most retarded RP mechanic to show up in FP games when pixel accuracy is the decisive factor because you can bypass and negate it with manual skill. Case in point: with zero investment in Guns skill and Agility at 6, I was doing head shot kills at extreme ranges in New Vegas.

Plus the frequency of a shake IRL when you aim with a scoped weapon or look through binocular without support is a lot more intense in a millimetric spread which would make you puke when adapted in a game because eye-adaptation doesn't work the same way on a monitor. Just say no zoom-shaking in games. Other non-invasive graphics could be used to convey just how badly it shakes, like "vibrating" edge lines with alpha channel around the lens, without fucking up your view.
I thought the point was to fuck up your view or at least your aim.

I agree that it doesn't really work as limiting factor, but I've never found any of the low weapon skill limitations in DX to actually prevent their effective use. They did prevent their use in some situations - namely those in which you weren't just crouching somewhere stealthily, sighting in on an unaware target.
You didn't need weapon skills in DX if you were also using stealth.

Captain Shrek

So we have Volourn, the Doorkeeper of Bioware and Mastermind the Sweeper at Bethesda. Anyone else who whiteknights one of the corps?

Captain Shrek said:
So we have Volourn, the Doorkeeper of Bioware and Mastermind the Sweeper at Bethesda. Anyone else who whiteknights one of the corps?

I'm pretty sure Crispy is another one for Beth, and I'm also guessing Commie for CD Projekt.

The shills are pretty transparent, actually, just like all the other reptilian scum.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
dextermorgan said:
herp derp hurrr durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And for the record, you have failed to prove that leveling Alchemy cannot break the game.

:smug:

I've also failed to prove that you're not a child molester. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom