Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mike's astounding butthurt levels can only be combated with :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Topher said:
treave said:

Trolls don't get butthurt they get boring.

Pretty sure he's butthurt his trolling didn't cause much rage and upset, so he's trying desperately to troll more.

I think I'd rather read a Jim Profit post than watch Mike and his alt do some ventriloquist comedy act.

Topher

Cipher
treave said:
Topher said:
treave said:

Trolls don't get butthurt they get boring.

Pretty sure he's butthurt his trolling didn't cause much rage and upset, so he's trying desperately to troll more.

I think I'd rather read a Jim Profit post than watch Mike and his alt do some ventriloquist comedy act.

I guess he could be but I just kind of stopped reading his posts. I know he mentioned an art topic or something and that's somehow related to a video maybe, I just don't know.

* I do wonder who's alt they are though...

1eyedking

Erudite
Sceptic said:
1eyedking said:
traumatic Ghoul episode.
You know, when I finally get and play the game, that ghoul episode had better be the most horrible abomination to ever grace a CRPG.
From an art direction point of view, it is vomitive. From a coherence point of view, it is vomitive. From a humorous point of view... it's still vomitive.

So yes, it was really, really bad, so much it made me ragequit and uninstall the game, and that has happened me very few times. The game gets a tad better later on, but it still misses a few golden opportunities (particularly the references to the other Fallout games, and all the quest-skipping involved).

It's definitely the best Obsidian has released so far. Thumbs up for J.E. Sawyer (is that German?), I guess.

PS: Obsidian needs new talented artists ASAP. The current ones suck massive cock.

Topher

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Sceptic said:
1eyedking said:
traumatic Ghoul episode.
You know, when I finally get and play the game, that ghoul episode had better be the most horrible abomination to ever grace a CRPG.
From an art direction point of view, it is vomitive. From a coherence point of view, it is vomitive. From a humorous point of view... it's still vomitive.

So yes, it was really, really bad, so much it made me ragequit and uninstall the game, and that has happened me very few times. The game gets a tad better later on, but it still misses a few golden opportunities (particularly the references to the other Fallout games, and all the quest-skipping involved).

It's definitely the best Obsidian has released so far. Thumbs up for J.E. Sawyer (is that German?), I guess.

PS: Obsidian needs new talented artists ASAP. The current ones suck massive cock.

The quest is pretty lame but at least there are multiple ways to bypass it.

1eyedking

Erudite
Yes, but if there's something I hate about F3 is the insane amount of quest-skipping there is.
Shannow said:
Yeah, right. Sawyer actually finished a game that he started. And so far I like it best from all Obsidian games. :love:
He did Icewind Dale II and for that he earned my respect. Now I'm beginning to actually like the guy.

made

Arcane
Amagad, even 1EK has finally succumbed to the new shit. :O

How would you say does the writing overall compare to Witcher/MOTB? Worth putting up with the mechanics for it?

1eyedking

Erudite
Doesn't get anywhere near the Witcher's level (can't say about MotB since I didn't play it thoroughly), but it's definitely worth a try. It's nothing great, though, don't buy the hype: it's somewhere between average and good, and nowadays that's something extremely rare.

Also voice-acting is completely fucking horrible. I think I heard Tandi as an NCR scientist somewhere and what a waste that was. I honestly prefer listening to incomprehensible Polish with well-accentuated lines than pulling the hair out of my head whenever a voice actor completely misses the character or attitude he's supposed to convey.

Completely. Some blatant examples: Jerry the Punk, Jack (from the Khans), Little Buster at Camp MCA (hurr).

made

Arcane
I see, cheers. Guess I'll look into some UI mods later today and give it another go.

VA was ok for the couple NPCs I talked to in the starter village, but I suppose it's hard to nail every single one in a game with a mass of disposable characters as opposed to a few distinct ones.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mechanics is a big part of my dislike of Fallout 3. Never mind the lore it shits all over and the horrible art design. I do like New Vegas quite a bit so far but the mechanics... all those improvements and tweaks and hardcore mode don’t seem to solve the underlying gripes I have. I don’t even know why I hate the gameplay so much that it feels a bit irrational. I can’t articulate it. This is a bit frustrating.

Shannow

Waster of Time
1eyedking said:
Shannow said:
Yeah, right. Sawyer actually finished a game that he started. And so far I like it best from all Obsidian games. :love:
He did Icewind Dale II and for that he earned my respect. Now I'm beginning to actually like the guy.
He took over IWD2 somewhere in the middle, like he did with NWN2. So it's impossible to judge how they'd have turned out if he'd been the lead from the beginning.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Sad to say, the food & drink system wasn't that hard to beat. It was just a very minor inconvenience like Ultima 7. I completely ignored it by level 10. It wasn't that great of a penalty and food is always plentiful.

Guns and ammunition are easy to get. And bottle caps seem to flow without selling a ton of loot to the merchants.

The problem with the game lies with a lot of side content that adds long treks. I did a few and realized I might as well just quick travel if I could. Most of the quest treks are just long walks devoid of interesting encounters in between. Although people argued you might meet random hostile encounters, it's mostly easy kills if you posses a scoped rifle by mid game or so. Or if you take companions, Boone will fix them quick.

Also, I was a little surprised, but companions do have personal quests you can complete. Talk to them a bit and they'll hint to locations that it will trigger.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Shannow said:
He took over IWD2 somewhere in the middle, like he did with NWN2. So it's impossible to judge how they'd have turned out if he'd been the lead from the beginning.
Other way around, he was there from the beginning but quit in the middle. I think he may have come back at some point but I don't feel like looking for a source for that.
http://rpgvaultarchive.ign.com/features ... ndii.shtml
Jonric: How and when was the idea first proposed to do a sequel? At that time, what were the major considerations both for and against, and what reasons ultimately led to the decision to go ahead?

J.E. Sawyer: I don't know when the producers decided to make the game, but I was told that we were making the game when I learned that TORN was being cancelled. That was on a Wednesday afternoon. Feargus asked me to work with Steve Bokkes to create a story and area overview by Thursday afternoon. Steve and I talked about it for the rest of the day. I went home that night and worked on the overviews until the next day. I came in and turned the docs in, and after the Friday division meeting, the project was in development.

In all honesty, the reasons for making Icewind Dale II have to do with limiting risks and maximizing our chances for a popular title. The team is very familiar with the Infinity Engine, giving us a short development cycle that is unlikely to cause many unforeseen problems to arise. We're manning all guns to make sure that the product we put out is something we can feel proud of.
Jonric: With respect to the team that is creating Icewind Dale II, who are the core team members and leads?

J.E. Sawyer: Darren Monahan is the Producer for the project. You may remember Darren from such titles as Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. If you played UO, you may remember his character, "The Dread Lord El Guapo, Grandmaster Mage and Chef".

I am the Lead Designer on the project, though I have just left the Icewind Dale II team to work as the lead on another internal project. Dave Maldonado and Chris Avellone are taking over my areas. If my areas wind up being interesting in the game, it's probably because of changes they made.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
1eyedking said:
traumatic Ghoul episode.
You know, when I finally get and play the game, that ghoul episode had better be the most horrible abomination to ever grace a CRPG. Because if, after all the fucking buildup you've done for it over the whole week, it turns out to be nothing short of spectacular derp, I'm going to come back to this thread and rip you a new one.

You'll be back to just do that. Ghoul thing is nothing; just a misguided diversion into Fallout 2 territory, and nowhere near San Fran kung-fu fightan or gorrilaz with Tommy gun, or ghost with locket, level.

It's passable, and TBH it has some logic to it, far fetched; but whining about this quest in a game with supermutants, GHOULS, and giant ants is pretty fatuous.

Mortmal

Arcane
Sceptic said:
1eyedking said:
traumatic Ghoul episode.
You know, when I finally get and play the game, that ghoul episode had better be the most horrible abomination to ever grace a CRPG. Because if, after all the fucking buildup you've done for it over the whole week, it turns out to be nothing short of spectacular derp, I'm going to come back to this thread and rip you a new one.

Its a spectualr derp, like talking about the dog for about 20 pages. You are not even forced to do that quest it can be bypassed in multiple ways and even no longer than 10 sec, one guy has the info you need, hack the guy terminal, kill the guy yourself loot him, make it so some other npc kill him by a quest, or just explore to the north.
About the legion, they make sense, caesar is not some dumb slaver, he's an erudite who used savages tribes agaisnt each other then erased their culture by assimilating them in a legion. Now how can they have specific roman armor ? They own countries to the east, they already have an empire with ressources. Its not exact matches of roman armor anyway, and no more inconsistent that repairing your own armor, in wastelands with 2 clicks , or living in pre war buildings that could collapse anytime.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mortmal said:
Sceptic said:
1eyedking said:
traumatic Ghoul episode.

Its a spectualr derp, like talking about the dog for about 20 pages. You are not even forced to do that quest it can be bypassed in multiple ways and even no longer than 10 sec, one guy has the info you need, hack the guy terminal, kill the guy yourself loot him, make it so some other npc kill him by a quest, or just explore to the north.

I hacked the terminal before I even bothered doing the Ghoul quest for the guy, got the info and just went on by. Didn't even realise it was a 'main quest' one as seemed so easy to just keep on trucking towards your goal without a care.

Did it eventually and it was ok. Maybe should have been an obscure sidequest instead to allay the rage of the selective pedantic brigade as it serves no real purpose and is out of place on a main quest line.

Mortmal

Arcane
commie said:
Mortmal said:
Sceptic said:
1eyedking said:
traumatic Ghoul episode.

I hacked the terminal before I even bothered doing the Ghoul quest for the guy, got the info and just went on by. Didn't even realise it was a 'main quest' one as seemed so easy to just keep on trucking towards your goal without a care.

Did it eventually and it was ok. Maybe should have been an obscure sidequest instead to allay the rage of the selective pedantic brigade as it serves no real purpose and is out of place on a main quest line.

In the area theres boone sidequest wich is really really well done .

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MikeJahn said:
ultima_iii_cheater-157011-1244517147.jpeg
What the FUCK is this abomination? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY ULTIMA :x

commie said:
You'll be back to just do that.
Can't wait :smug:

Mortmal said:
You are not even forced to do that quest it can be bypassed in multiple ways
Are you kidding? After pages and pages of build-up? not a chance.

hoverdog said:
skyway is disappoint
Oh come on. At least skyway'll wait more than a couple of days before changing his mind.

1eyedking

Erudite
Silellak said:
1eyedking said:
For fuck's sake, this game is beyond retarded.
Obsidian fanboys are not learning animals.
1eyedking said:
it's somewhere between average and good, and nowadays that's something extremely rare.
FLIP-FLOP!!!!
It's still retarded because it's still Fallout 3, and that's the reason why it's not beyond average or good in my eyes.

It would go to very good if it actually had any hint of the atmosphere it's trying to convey. I'm not such a fanboy so as to LARP good art direction when there isn't any.

As I said, Obsidian urgently needs to recycle its art department.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sceptic said:
Mortmal said:
You are not even forced to do that quest it can be bypassed in multiple ways
Are you kidding? After pages and pages of build-up? not a chance.
FO2 can be finished in under 2 hours, bypassing almost all quests and almost all theme-park areas, so why so much hate? :M

;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom