Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Shannow

Waster of Time
treave said:
Ok wait I don't know if it's been lost in all this raging and shit-flinging but has Obsidian fixed the camera?
Nope, 3rd person is still the same shitty over-the-hip-shit. But there is a mod that fixes that :M
I play first person anyway, and there wasn't anything needing fixing there.

Angthoron

Arcane
Shannow said:
treave said:
Ok wait I don't know if it's been lost in all this raging and shit-flinging but has Obsidian fixed the camera?
Nope, 3rd person is still the same shitty over-the-hip-shit. But there is a mod that fixes that :M

Bah, you mean someone else fixed the camera?

So much for my signature.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Shannow said:
yes, there was and it still isn't fixed.
the game still uses different points of origin for the ranged attacks in thrid person, first person and vats. in an identical situation you may be able to hit something perfectly fine in one view, but not in the others.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
kingcomrade said:
What bugs me is how fast everything runs in this game. You pretty much have to get within spitting distance and use vats, if stuff is running around you need to be twitch king of counter strike to hit them, and of course since stuff has so much health you have to do it a lot.
If sneak attack criticals aren't an option, you should aim at the legs to cripple them. I've hardly used VATS at all. Oh, and if you haven't disabled mouse acceleration you should do that.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Shannow said:
treave said:

Fuck. I already got it.

Ah well.

Mods can be found at Fallout Nexus, right? Gonna head over and get some.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
treave said:
Shannow said:
treave said:

Fuck. I already got it.

Ah well.

Mods can be found at Fallout Nexus, right? Gonna head over and get some.
be consoled by the fact that the fable 3 camera lags shittly and is even more annoying.

Secretninja

Cipher
The ps3 patch seems to have made the game less stable. Before it would freeze maybe once a session, now it is doing it about once an hour...

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
kingcomrade said:
Yeah I see that, but still why? I just don't like the whole idea.
I haven't really played Fallout 3 yet but about the whole Caeser legion thing is it possible that they got idea about him because of caesar palace thats in vegas? Maybe there were some remains after war and the guy who became caeser just decided it will look cool.
Also I am assuming the other factions , except for NCR, are probably have something to do with vegas locale as well?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
With all the rationalizations in the world and all the explanations given in the game, the Legion still manages to not as much look out of place as just plain dorky.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Tails said:
bonescraper said:
Tails said:
So bunch of guys just naming themselves Khans are the same thing like slavers who wear Roman-like armour and have typical Roman names?
Dude... just... stop. I know my Fallout well enough. They didn't have their own exclusive sprites in game, therefore they were just a band of guys with a random gang name. Is that what you say? Then how do you explain these?
One of first artworks which has nothing to do with final game. Are the Death Claws in game furry for you too, because there was such idea at first and old artwork also?
Weren't the Vipers axed because too much work would be needed for custom animations? The same could be with custom armour for Khans.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
gothfox said:
3rd person camera is unplayable anyway given how horrible animations are in Gamebryo. Bleh.
That armors look like assholes doesn't help either.

Tails

Arbiter
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Weren't the Vipers axed because too much work would be needed for custom animations? The same could be with custom armour for Khans.
I don't really know, the case of Vipers and other gang. Ayway the point is that in Fallout 1 Khans are only dues that picked such name, they don't have silly ranks, armours, dialect or anything else - just typical, postapocalyptic group of raiders. They could be also dropped because in the end BIS found the idea silly (take a notice that the artwork to which was bonescraper had many characters who don't appear in game, like Monkey-faced Necropolis leader), though it's nothing comparing to Caesar's Legions :rpgcodex:

Oh btw. is the Fatman in New Vegas also?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Tails said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I don't really know, the case of Vipers and other gang. Ayway the point is that in Fallout 1 Khans are only dues that picked such name, they don't have silly ranks, armours, dialect or anything else - just typical, postapocalyptic group of raiders. They could be also dropped because in the end BIS found the idea silly (take a notice that the artwork to which was bonescraper had many characters who don't appear in game, like Monkey-faced Necropolis leader), though it's nothing comparing to Caesar's Legions :rpgcodex:

So... what a group needs to do to be recognised more? They can't have custom armor? They can't have ranks to be organised? Le fuck?

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
So, is the latest patch available for pirated versions yet? And is it actually recommended to use? Saw someone saying it made the game even more unstable.

The only fix the latest patch had is the savegames disappearing issue, which is caused by steam and is not a factor in any pirated release :smug:

Tails

Arbiter
Havoc said:
So... what a group needs to do to be recognised more? They can't have custom armor? They can't have ranks to be organised? Le fuck?
Recognized as who? as Romans? no one gives a flying duck about Romans, 200 years passed since apocalypse, people don't really remember how it was in Pre-War America, but suppose to know who Romans were? no mentioning to produce any custom armour (and Legion does not only that), requires resources which would be hard to get in such setting. There is also a difference by having ranks like for example brotherhood then LARPing Romans:
Members of the Legion pronounce its name in the classical Latin way, with a hard C sound (Kai-Zar). Wastelanders and members of NCR use the common English pronunciation with a soft C (Seize-er).
It doesn't make any freaking sense, neither it would impress or make fear a common wasteland folk. If the Legions make sense, then the do Treeminders from Fallout 3, which made many people butthurt, especially about Harold.

Tails said:
Havoc said:
Recognized as who? as Romans? no one gives a flying duck about Romans, 200 years passed since apocalypse, people don't really remember how it was in Pre-War America, but suppose to know who Romans were? no mentioning to produce any custom armour (and Legion does not only that), requires resources which would be hard to get in such setting. There is also a difference by having ranks like for example brotherhood then LARPing Romans:
Members of the Legion pronounce its name in the classical Latin way, with a hard C sound (Kai-Zar). Wastelanders and members of NCR use the common English pronunciation with a soft C (Seize-er).
It doesn't make any freaking sense, neither it would impress or make fear a common wasteland folk. If the Legions make sense, then the do Treeminders from Fallout 3, which made many people butthurt, especially about Harold.

Agreed, that whole concept of the 'Legions' still sounds ridiculous when the setting is taken into consideration. Well, nobody thought the ghost of Fallout 2's sillier aspects wouldn't return in some form with the same people in charge, did they?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Overweight Manatee said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
So, is the latest patch available for pirated versions yet? And is it actually recommended to use? Saw someone saying it made the game even more unstable.

The only fix the latest patch had is the savegames disappearing issue, which is caused by steam and is not a factor in any pirated release :smug:

Fair enough. First patch worth it?
Installing now. You people are making me pause my first M&M3 and Abe's Odyssey playthroughs for this. God help me.

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Overweight Manatee said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:

Fair enough. First patch worth it?
Installing now. You people are making me pause my first M&M3 and Abe's Odyssey playthroughs for this. God help me.

Yeah, supposedly the 1st patch fixed a lot of bugs. It should have a torrent out.

You may also want to look into the d3d9.dll file that supposedly speeds up the game for a lot of people.

Project: Eternity
Blackadder said:
Agreed, that whole concept of the 'Legions' still sounds ridiculous when the setting is taken into consideration. Well, nobody thought the ghost of Fallout 2's sillier aspects wouldn't return in some form with the same people in charge, did they?

I don't think the whole Rome thing is supposed to impress outsiders at all, the point is to give the *insiders* a distinct culture to identify with. Caesar says more or less that the entire thing is deliberately so alien so that the "legionaries" forget all about their former lives as tribals.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Tails said:
Havoc said:

Why would they care about Rome? It's Caesar Legion, a group with a intelligent and charismatic leader. He learned everything he needed about the Roman Empire (it's structure and ideas) and wanted to create something opposite to the NCR. He explaines it.

Why it doesn't make sense? Caesar knows latin from holodisc and made everybody pronouce correctly latin words.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
mugarod said:
kingcomrade said:
Yeah I see that, but still why? I just don't like the whole idea.
I haven't really played Fallout 3 yet but about the whole Caeser legion thing is it possible that they got idea about him because of caesar palace thats in vegas? Maybe there were some remains after war and the guy who became caeser just decided it will look cool.
Also I am assuming the other factions , except for NCR, are probably have something to do with vegas locale as well?

Caesar's just some dork who read too many books. He gives a perfect insight into his thinking when you meet him.

Imagine him as lyric suite right down to the woman hate.

Recognized as who? as Romans? no one gives a flying duck about Romans

Caesar gives a fuck about romans, and he's an aspie fuck for the details.

FruitOfFallout

Educated
Lyric suite hates women? +rep

sorry . i woulda never cussed you out . but i hope you have your way with females.

bonescraper

Havoc said:
Why would they care about Rome? It's Caesar Legion, a group with a intelligent and charismatic leader. He learned everything he needed about the Roman Empire (it's structure and ideas) and wanted to create something opposite to the NCR. He explaines it.

Why it doesn't make sense? Caesar knows latin from holodisc and made everybody pronouce correctly latin words.
Indeed. Talis would prefer yet another generic raider/nazi group as the antagonists. Or he's just butthurt they're not samurai :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom