Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
SuicideBunny said:
or jumping to max level because you can infinitely pick a speech check response that grants xp.

I think more of the games free-thinking non-sheeple Codexers are allowed to like have this than don't.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
1eyedking said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Busy playing NV, I imagine.
He probably got sick of this place. It happens when you read an enormous amount of dumbfuck material in a short span of time.

He could have just ignored you instead :smug:

Topher

Cipher
Secretninja said:
The space suit makes more sense than the doc at the beginning going, hey here is my old vault jumpsuit, I bet you need it lol.

And the space suit isn't amazing or anything. The helmet is good because it doesn't weigh anything, but other than just to intentionally make yourself mad there isn't really a reason to wear it for very long.

There isn't any reason to wear it at all, it's not like merchants sell it. It's on some shelf in an old buildings basement. I left it just where I found it and when I needed a radiation suit I bought one, that looks like a modern haz-mat/radiation suit, from the Crimson Caravan.

* The Dinosaur is the best sniper point in town. It doesn't matter that it's only 180 degrees because it faces the direction that the Legion is coming from, who have harnessed the town, and the townsfolk make mention of that. Also, I never saw the tranny-mutant, I think it's a wild wasteland thing and I didn't take that perk, so I really don't understand all the fuss about it.

Secretninja

Cipher
Tranny mutant was bizarre, just ran up to me out of nowhere after I fixed a robot and then ran off into the wasteland over a mountain after glitching out on a fence.

Just tried to play and now it is patching. Hopefully it won't freeze up quite as much now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Topher said:
Secretninja said:
The space suit makes more sense than the doc at the beginning going, hey here is my old vault jumpsuit, I bet you need it lol.

And the space suit isn't amazing or anything. The helmet is good because it doesn't weigh anything, but other than just to intentionally make yourself mad there isn't really a reason to wear it for very long.

There isn't any reason to wear it at all, it's not like merchants sell it. It's on some shelf in an old buildings basement. I left it just where I found it and when I needed a radiation suit I bought one, that looks like a modern haz-mat/radiation suit, from the Crimson Caravan.

* The Dinosaur is the best sniper point in town. It doesn't matter that it's only 180 degrees because it faces the direction that the Legion is coming from, who have harnessed the town, and the townsfolk make mention of that. Also, I never saw the tranny-mutant, I think it's a wild wasteland thing and I didn't take that perk, so I really don't understand all the fuss about it.

Tranny is not a Wild Wasteland, sadly, although I think "it" is actually a female. It is the only thing I've encountered so far that really makes you stop and go "huh?" There's no lengthy "this is why we thought a tranny/female mutant would be lulzy" or anything... She/he/it just... is.

The "tranny" suffers from mental disorders thanks to an extensive use of stealthboy tech... like all Nightkin. Just look at "granny" Lilly for instance.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
SuicideBunny said:
or jumping to max level because you can infinitely pick a speech check response that grants xp.

I think more of the games free-thinking non-sheeple Codexers are allowed to like have this than don't.

Not The Witcher, because it doesn't even have skill checks. :smug:

Jaime Lannister said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
SuicideBunny said:

Not The Witcher, because it doesn't even have skill checks. :smug:

It checks the player's ability to click on command from the game every second during combat. :lol:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Yeah, seriously, I don't think this game really needs mods to be enjoyable.

I did the Vault 22 (?) quest yesterday, its about a vault that somehow a bunch of plants are coming out of despite the arid waste it's set in. You find out that something went Horribly Wrong(tm) and you can either help a lost scientist there to dam the infestation or just kill her, and even if you help she wants to destroy the data. With a passed high Science check you can convince her not to destroy the data after all so you can get your reward from the NCR. This place had a System-Shocky feel with messages left on a bunch of terminals and moody atmosphere. Neat!

Vault 11's the best, noob enemies so it's more for the story element and less the dungeon crawl.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I really enjoy this game.
The atmosphere is more wild west than fallout, but it still works. Especially since it's set such a while after Fallout 2, which was already turning pretty wild west.

The character creation was a bit out of place, but I liked the grip thing. Against, very wild west.

This place seems to have a lot less places to explore than Fallout 3, I suppose since instead of being a city it's mostly desert, and even if you do explore pretty often the reward for exploring is in a Very Hard locked object of some sort (or there's nothing but some ammo, less than you used exploring, and some junk)

The writing, characters, quest design, and dialogue, however, are light years ahead of what Bethesda did in Fallout 3.

The only real stupid shit in the game I can think of is Caesar's Legion. Where are they getting roman uniforms? Why? Pilum, really? I haven't beaten the game yet so maybe there is an answer, but right now I think the whole Roman theme is pretty gay.

Another important thing: they changed the sound effects for a lot of the guns, made some of the old guns less stupid (little things like putting sights on the hunting rifle and making it shoot .308).

The combat is still meh. What bugs me is how fast everything runs in this game. You pretty much have to get within spitting distance and use vats, if stuff is running around you need to be twitch king of counter strike to hit them, and of course since stuff has so much health you have to do it a lot.
The service rifle gave me what I wanted in Fallout 3: the (old) hunting rifle. Semi-automagic, .223, basic gun. Too bad it barely does any damage.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Oh, there is another thing I hate. The Scary Cave Music and the Dank Dark Building Music are really, REALLY annoying. On the other hand, they used many tracks from the original Fallouts :thumbsup:

Felix

Arcane
Where are they getting roman uniforms? Why? Pilum, really? I haven't beaten the game yet so maybe there is an answer, but right now I think the whole Roman theme is pretty gay.
Look closely, they're sport wears with metal parts from other armors.

hiver

Its BECAUSE Cesar is running a complete breakdown of any values such as family or tribal, gang or any other allegiance in his set up.
Wearing uniforms their Fuhrer tells them to wear is one of the techniques he uses to eradicate former, past connections anyone might have.
Other he uses : in order to break up family connections he forces random breeding and he removes tribal tattoos by burning them off or by cutting them off.

And he forces everyone to wear those uniforms to cement that they belong to something else now.
A new union - by which he repeats Masters philosophy/mistake too.

bonescraper

kingcomrade said:
This place seems to have a lot less places to explore than Fallout 3, I suppose since instead of being a city it's mostly desert, and even if you do explore pretty often the reward for exploring is in a Very Hard locked object of some sort (or there's nothing but some ammo, less than you used exploring, and some junk)
That's just your first impression. And it's wrong, believe me.

1eyedking

Erudite
OK, I'm gathering up enough will to reinstall this abortion since it turned out my savegames weren't deleted, if only because I'm curious as to what comes after the whole Ghouls in space delirium.

I'll report to the True Codex once I've got the situation under control (and make my own goddamn thread).

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
You can... blow them to Shitville... it's right next to Explosion Town.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ok wait I don't know if it's been lost in all this raging and shit-flinging but has Obsidian fixed the camera?

Honest question. I want a serious answer. I'm picking up my monthly dose of popamole RPGs in 5 hours and it's either this or Fable 3.

Have Obsidian fixed the camera?

Arcanoix

Scholar
Gragt said:
Sceptic said:
[...], what more would you really want?

Blowjob and pudding.

I raise you this:

Pudding blowjob.

Ingredients:

1. Cock. Your own recommended.
2. Pudding. Vanilla recommended.
3. Skank who will give you head while your penis is covered in pudding.
4. ??? Isn't it fucking obvious?
5. Profit! :smug:

treave said:
Ok wait I don't know if it's been lost in all this raging and shit-flinging but has Obsidian fixed the camera?

Honest question. I want a serious answer. I'm picking up my monthly dose of popamole RPGs in 5 hours and it's either this or Fable 3.

Have Obsidian fixed the camera?

Yes.

And this isn't popamole.

I tried doing the popamole thing, even in close quarters. If you're spotted, they fucking come after you. If you hide, well, they search for you. I haven't encountered that sort of AI since the original F.E.A.R. back in 2005.

The only effective way to popamole is to pop out after being HIDDEN, i.e. Not Spotted, Not Seen, Not-fucking-Heard. If you tip over a can on a shelf, you'll alert nearby hostiles, so they'll be on caution, effectively reducing any damage you do when you pop out. If a hostile is on it's own, and it hears something drop, or spots you, they run back for reinforcements. Some of them, that is.

It's fucking hard. And I like it.

bonescraper

Yep. There is a difference in how the AI behaves. In FO3 i could clear whole rooms of enemies by shooting them one by one with a silenced 10 mm pistol, never breaking my stealth. That was dumb, untill someone actually modded their behaviour http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/ ... p?id=11750 This time they'll eventually notice you, even when you're shooting them with a supressed sniper rifle from afar. It's still buggy, but it's way better.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Very interesting comment about the AI.

Though given Obsidian's track record it could be that the challenging AI is due to a bug in their scripting, i.e. entirely accidental.

I should see for myself soon anyway, thanks for the heads up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom