Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

1eyedking

Erudite
Game picked up a little by Boulder City. I almost forgot I was playing Fallout 3 for a fleeting moment.

It still has miles to go from the traumatic Ghoul episode.

Eyeball

Arcane
Quite like NV so far - about 19 hours in and only just began entering actual New Vegas.

What I like the most about it so far is that it occasionally delivers actual funny lines, mostly along the kind of gallows humour of the first two games - The Supermutant Radio Station in particular made me smile with the DJs excellent Joker impersonation and I liked the asshole irony of Vault 11 too.

Loot is also a lot less generic than FO3. There seems to be more semi-secret weapons hidden around the place, I switch weapons a lot more often than I did in FO3 as new and more interesting ones keep coming up.

Downsides: AI pathfinding is fucking mongoloid and the human enemies first reaction to being under sniper fire should not be to run out in the open and look around trying to spot the sniper, inviting more .308s to the face. It IS cool how you can essentially murder anyone you want, and so long as nobody's watching you, you get away without faction hostility.

Ceasar's Legion is retarded as well - I am looking forward to a mod making them look a little less LARPY and more like a post-apocalyptic army cult of rapists and murderers. This goes for the Khans as well - fuck off with your yurts and Mongol head gear.

Other than that, good game so far - although I wll withhold judgement on how good it REALLY is until I try replaying it with a total asshole character. One of the good things about FO3 was that it gave you ample oppurtunity to be an unrelenting dick - I hope NV gives you that option too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
fizzelopeguss said:
Imagine him as lyric suite right down to the woman hate.

Moar like this:

1816_5.jpg

The only saving grace in what is possibly the king of post apocalyptic popamole films.

Topher

Cipher
I didn't like the idea of the Legion before I played the game but after seeing them in action and learning their motives it makes perfect sense to me. I can't say anything about the khans because when I've fought them they've been regular looking raiders.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Khans are faggots, bunch of rapists and slavers bawwing because their kids and wives got gunned down by brave republican troops. They're lucky they're in a post apoc world with no gas otherwise they'd be stuffed into ovens.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Man, to be honest I'm struggling through the Fallout 3 gameplay. Slow progress, only just got to Primms.

Does the terrain get flatter or is it all rocky hills and stuff all the way to Vegas?

Secretninja

Cipher
Mountain ranges make it so transferring between huge open areas can only be done at certain points. They want you to go south from the starting location (you don't HAVE to, but it is hard as fuck), so it is kinda closed in. It opens up a lot just south of Primm.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
1eyedking said:
traumatic Ghoul episode.
You know, when I finally get and play the game, that ghoul episode had better be the most horrible abomination to ever grace a CRPG. Because if, after all the fucking buildup you've done for it over the whole week, it turns out to be nothing short of spectacular derp, I'm going to come back to this thread and rip you a new one.

Topher

Cipher
Secretninja said:
Mountain ranges make it so transferring between huge open areas can only be done at certain points. They want you to go south from the starting location (you don't HAVE to, but it is hard as fuck), so it is kinda closed in. It opens up a lot just south of Primm.

You make it sound like you can't go north due to mountain limitations (though I don't think it's what you meant). Anyway, you can go due north along the road right from the start. What stops you are the enemies.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I know that, the residents kept emphasizing on "critters that only get angrier if you shoot them".

Anyway, glad to know I won't be clambering over rocks and rubble like I did for 99% of the time I spent playing Fallout 3. Still miss the good old world map.

Secretninja

Cipher
What I was trying to say is that there are ways north, but they are through narrow passages filled with shit that will fuck you up. I managed to sprint my ass through with a new character knowing where to head and made it to an NCR outpost where they killed the shitload of critters I had chasing me.

Nowhere does it feel like DC where you had to go through tunnels to avoid rubble.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nope, I got what you meant. It's like heading down south right at the start of Fallout 2. Difficult but not impossible.

Fuck, don't remind me of the fucking subways. I never finished Fallout 3 because of all the bland shit subway crawls.

Phelot

Arcane
Just started playing it. Certainly a step up from FO3, but I guess that's not hard to do. Haven't had any bugs other then the chick from the tutorial's dog having its eyes outside its body. LOL

Anyone notice the original fallout music down around Primm's NCR base? Kinda cool I guess... it really fits the scenery and brought back some memories.

All in all, I'm surprised that it's not nearly as bad as I thought. On hardcore it can be tough at times, at least I wasn't able to just steamroll all the powder gangers.

Topher

Cipher
Secretninja said:
What I was trying to say is that there are ways north, but they are through narrow passages filled with shit that will fuck you up. I managed to sprint my ass through with a new character knowing where to head and made it to an NCR outpost where they killed the shitload of critters I had chasing me.

Nowhere does it feel like DC where you had to go through tunnels to avoid rubble.

I thought the main road was pretty open but I ran into a horde of deathclaws and had to turn back.

Topher

Cipher
MikeJahn said:
mormon fort ruined it, worst game ever

What's so bad about that? Is you complaint game related or do you just not like Mormons?

MikeJahn

Educated
Hey tom I bet they didn't even get the airplane reference cuse they're too busy playing this shit:
ultima_iii_cheater-157011-1244517147.jpeg

its so deep, only a true connoisseur of spreadsheets er hardcore rpgs will appreciate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom