Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

KreideBein

Scholar
Secretninja said:
I could have sworn there was a speech check when he told me to go do it, but was too high at the time for my character. I had the science to hack his computer already, and it would make sense to rifle through his shit to find clue if he wasn't being forthcoming.

Agreed. I didn't even know that it was a "required" quest; I hacked his computer and skipped the whole thing when I was going through the main quest. It wasn't until I read some posts in this thread that I learned that some people thought that the quest was mandatory. I only did it when I was finishing up some quests in my backlog near the end of the game.

Also, lol at 1Eyedking disappearing from the thread.

Bruticis

Ok, so I've now played just over 24 hours and I can safely say I enjoy it. It's certainly not holy trinity worthy but it's fun (there, I said it). It's the kind of game I can fire up and lose track of time and I haven't played a new, "next-gen" game like that in a long time. What I don't like is that I can often crouch and snipe (no silencer) and get away with killing a good number of baddies before anyone takes the time to notice me. The AI is pretty damn dumb but that's really my only beef thus far.

CrimHead

Scholar
Crimhead said:
In before butthurt Obshitian (HURR) fanboi enumerates all the instances of "for the lulz of it" within the first few minutes of Fallout 2.

From now on you may refer to me as...

Crim Prophet

:yeah:

roll-a-die

Magister
Clockwork Knight said:
If someone is able to list multiple instances of lulz within the first few minutes of a game, you have to wonder if it's his fault, or the game's
Fallout 3, where am I, what the fuck, am I being born, ehm, Liam Neeson seems to make a bad doctor, why's he checking my gender as if he's a moran, it should be relatively obvious considering something would be sticking up or be a line. They're asking the baby what it thinks about the name they picked? Oh god, he's a retard.

Why am I picking my appearence as an adult now, up to and including scars and facial hair style. BURN THE HERETIC PSYKER MACHINE!

Why'd my mom's heart fail, normally that would have happened during the birth. She'd be more likely to fall to some sort of infection days later, or to Amniotic Embolism, Eclampsia or some other illness. But really far more likely to have just hemorrhaged herself.

Why's he sending the aide out, and preforming CPR, that's idiotic, unless you've got a defib and she's also in VF cardiac arrest, not heart stoppage cardiac arrest, all CPR is going to do is bruise her and possibly crack a rib.

Wait, I can read at one year old, I can also navigate and walk well, run, and jump. Wait a second, my FORESHADOWING! sense is tingling, I predict him reading that scripture will have no effect on the future at all.

Firt ten minutes of fallout 3 in a nutshell.

EDIT: INDIAN LICOUR IS AWESOME

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Secretninja said:
I could have sworn there was a speech check when he told me to go do it, but was too high at the time for my character. I had the science to hack his computer already, and it would make sense to rifle through his shit to find clue if he wasn't being forthcoming.

There is a speech check, I did it. He then asks you to check on the ghouls anyway, as a favor, which starts the quest.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Clockwork Knight said:
If someone is able to list multiple instances of lulz within the first few minutes of a game, you have to wonder if it's his fault, or the game's
Fallout 3, where am I, what the fuck, am I being born, ehm, Liam Neeson seems to make a bad doctor, why's he checking my gender as if he's a moran, it should be relatively obvious considering something would be sticking up or be a line. They're asking the baby what it thinks about the name they picked? Oh god, he's a retard.

Why am I picking my appearence as an adult now, up to and including scars and facial hair style. BURN THE HERETIC PSYKER MACHINE!

Why'd my mom's heart fail, normally that would have happened during the birth. She'd be more likely to fall to some sort of infection days later, or to Amniotic Embolism, Eclampsia or some other illness. But really far more likely to have just hemorrhaged herself.

Why's he sending the aide out, and preforming CPR, that's idiotic, unless you've got a defib and she's also in VF cardiac arrest, not heart stoppage cardiac arrest, all CPR is going to do is bruise her and possibly crack a rib.

Wait, I can read at one year old, I can also navigate and walk well, run, and jump. Wait a second, my FORESHADOWING! sense is tingling, I predict him reading that scripture will have no effect on the future at all.

:lol:

Yeah, I previously said Nev Vegas' character creation is just as retarded as the one in Fallout 3, but now that you remember me, it's not possible to get any more retarded than that.

Still goddamn retarded, though.

roll-a-die

Magister
FeelTheRads said:
roll-a-die said:
Clockwork Knight said:

:lol:

Yeah, I previously said Nev Vegas' character creation is just as retarded as the one in Fallout 3, but now that you remember me, it's not possible to get any more retarded than that.

Still goddamn retarded, though.
About the only retarded thing in New Vegas char creation is the choosing of tag skills, the rest fits fine. And Fallout 3 still did it worse. GOAT, 10 questions, it determines your future yob! Word association, phrase identification and random ink blots are much better than that retarded trite.

The teacher dude himself states the test is retarded and lets you choose your results if you ask him. Take that as you will; I assume it's the Overseer's way of only having morons to deal with - though the test determines what they will study, they probably have to educate themselves.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
About the only retarded thing in New Vegas char creation is the choosing of tag skills

Hey... I fixed you, here take this thingamabob and tell me how I did. Didn't know if you were a man or a woman so you can change your sex with it too. :retarded:

And then the stupidotron or however that machine where you select your stats is called...

roll-a-die

Magister
FeelTheRads said:
About the only retarded thing in New Vegas char creation is the choosing of tag skills

Hey... I fixed you, here take this thingamabob and tell me how I did. Didn't know if you were a man or a woman so you can change your sex with it too. :retarded:

And then the stupidotron or however that machine where you select your stats is called...
Vigortester, the reflectotron is what you choose your appearance in. And is implied to simply be a mirror, where you tell him what he got wrong. It's a decent solution, within the universe at least. It's pretty much expected by the new fans to have an in game character creation sequence, not just a window where you pick everything. Prevents allot of protential conflict as well.

Could have been better, IE he trains and tests you for 2 hours, ala fallout 3, or there's just a char creation screen that you go through ala Fallout 1 and 2, but it's allot quicker this way in comparison to FO3, and allot more stupid proof compared to FO1/2. Personally I hated the Vault sequence more than anything else in Fallout 3, it was long it was boring, and it was VERY, VERY retarded.

There are somemore stupid things i NV, eye blur when when you walk out side the first time is particularly annoying.

Again, nothing is more retarded than making you set your appearance for the rest of the game AS A FUCKING NEW BORN!

EDIT: Also, KUUUURRRR hangover. God that's something I haven't felt in 13 years.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

She's like Padme... she didn't give a fuck. :smug:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Overweight Manatee said:
roll-a-die said:
Silellak said:
Overweight Manatee said:
The biggest problem Obsidian made with the ghouls in the space ship was putting them as part of the main quest and fairly early in the game. Your only choice is to take part in the silliness or flat out kill ghouls that are friendly to you. If you are just following the main quests its pretty much your second real quest in the game.
True, but if you don't want to deal with it, I'm pretty sure you can just kill the guy who gives you the quest in the first place - I think he has a letter that points you in the right direction of the Main Quest.
Hack his computer as he's sleeping. He's got a note left there from Benny/One of the Great Khans.
Didn't know that, but its still a bit of an unusual workaround that isn't evident unless you are the kind of player that just searches through everyone's house in the first place.
The whole point of an alternative route in an RPG is that it shouldn't be evident.
On the other hand, in NV they even kinda overuse the look-around-the-NPC's-house/hack-his-computer feature; it's a bit too common and too evident workaround, in my view.

Also:
DalekFlay said:
Secretninja said:
There is a speech check, I did it. He then asks you to check on the ghouls anyway, as a favor, which starts the quest.
This.

madbringer

Arcane
So.... is it safe to consider NV a legit contribution to the series? Canon wise? My brain is having a hard time processing the thought of a proper addition after Tactics, PoS and F3.

gothfox

Liturgist
madbringer said:
So.... is it safe to consider NV a legit contribution to the series? Canon wise?

Seriously, just play the goddamn game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom