Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Clockwork Knight said:
Spacesuit.png

I like this one better, definitely. But to think that the character would find and equip one... :/

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lonely Vazdru said:
I honestly never imagined that humans had a space program in Fallout but now that I know they do, no matter how much I try, I can't find these suits belonging in any way (I leave the hubologist space shuttle out of this, it belonged even less than these suits). I really can't imagine the Fallout equivalent of NASA spacesuits to be anything like this. What should they look like then ? Given the goofyness of 50's pulp Sci-Fi, nothing that I'd like to associate with the dryness of a post-apoc wasteland probably. That's why I was fine with a "no-spacefaring humans" Fallout.
If you'll recall, in Fallout 2 the US government was revealed to have a project for relocating off-planet with space crafts they'd build sometime.

As for the rockets in NV, if you listen to what the tour guide says and read the plaques at REPCONN headquarters, you'll notice that all space flights in Fallout were manned by robots, with the rockets the Ghouls finished being the latest prototype and still unfit for human passengers (hence why Chris would have died). Human colonization of the solar system was just a project RobCo and REPCONN had in their sights that never got around to being finished.

Actually, has there been any mention of manned space flights in Fallouts?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
It's not even a space program for fucks sake, they come across 3 old prewar rockets still intact and decide to try and get them working again.

Judging by the angle of the launch they don't even go into space either.

Flight of the valkyries also plays on the radio when they set off, so that automatically makes the quest awesome. So shut the fuck up already.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
fizzelopeguss said:
Flight of the valkyries also plays on the radio when they set off, so that automatically makes the quest awesome. So shut the fuck up already.
:lol:

The one time I saw a rocket take-off in Guyane I blasted Dokken's "Dream Warriors" in my walkman. Now, that's something to be butthurt about.

Drakron

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Yes, in Fallout 3.

In the Museum of Technology you find the Virgo II lunar lander, also there is the Delta Rocket that was used (and later adapted to ICBM role), also near the lander you have a case that contains the flag that used to be on the Moon.

Also the USA claims that Carl Bell became the first human in space on May 5, 1961 but the Soviet Union and China disputed this claim (Carl died on a crash landing during re-entry).

Perhaps its because according to Fallout 3 there is no NASA, the US Space Program was run by the United States Space Administration (USSA).

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/United_St ... nistration

Perhaps RobCo and REPCONN programs were civilian attempts and they never managed to get beyond unmanned craft but USSA had long put humans in space, at the very least since 2020.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lonely Vazdru said:
Vault Dweller said:
A space program.
Thanks for the brevity and clarity. That's what I call an answer. :salute:
Sorry.

REPCONN developed several space rockets (some used by the ghouls in the above mentioned quest) and you can see different models in the museum at REPCONN headquarters.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Err yeah, the first two games art-styles were entirely based off old pulp like those comics.

Art-style =/= content.

It's because of simpletons like you, unable to distinguish basic things, that it all went to shit.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Vault Dweller said:
Lonely Vazdru said:
Vault Dweller said:
A space program.
Thanks for the brevity and clarity. That's what I call an answer. :salute:
Sorry.
Don't be, I am. I was affraid my post would be interpreted as a critic, I was very serious about my "thank you".
Damn, the "children of 4chan" net has gotten so full of double-entendre, it's getting pretty hard to be blunt. Even between pre "net fame seeking" old fucks like us. ;)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Drakron said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Yes, in Fallout 3.

In the Museum of Technology you find the Virgo II lunar lander, also there is the Delta Rocket that was used (and later adapted to ICBM role), also near the lander you have a case that contains the flag that used to be on the Moon.

Also the USA claims that Carl Bell became the first human in space on May 5, 1961 but the Soviet Union and China disputed this claim (Carl died on a crash landing during re-entry).

Perhaps its because according to Fallout 3 there is no NASA, the US Space Program was run by the United States Space Administration (USSA).

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/United_St ... nistration

Perhaps RobCo and REPCONN programs were civilian attempts and they never managed to get beyond unmanned craft but USSA had long put humans in space, at the very least since 2020.
I guess I should have added "in Fallout 1 & 2." Since I disregard Fallout 3 as much as possible due to all the retarded stuff (East Coast FEV strain and Enclave computer and whatnot).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really like how it handles the Fallout lore. Instead of Fallout 3's "We got super mutants, the BoS and the Enclave. They all travelled East to DC for reasons not sufficiently explained, but we got them, so it's totally Fallout DERP DERP DERP also BoS are Whiteknights, mutants are retarded HURR I SMASH orcs and the Enclave are just hurrdurr evil", it actually resprects Fallout lore and all the references to past games make sense. The NCR, the Followers of the Apocalypse, the BoS, even the small Super Mutant communities all are consistent and make sense.

Yes, the game does have occasional lulzy shit, but there's not as much of it as in Fallout 3, and it's never plain outright retarded (haven't met the tranny mutant so I can't comment on that yet). Towns, while still having only a small amount of named characters (but a lot of generic "villager" guys), are much larger than Fallout 3's "villages" consisting of 3 houses and 5 inhabitants. There actually is an ecnomy: there's farming and cattle herding.

This exceeds my expectations by far. The large amount of dialogue checks with all kinds of skills (medicine, barter, speech, science... even explosives at one point) are awesome and quite a few quests have multiple solutions. Also, faction choices ftw.

Huh, the first time I approached Nipton (with my 'good' Courier, my 'bad' one helped out the Powder Gangers at Goodsprings and the NCRCF and then started the difficult trek directly to Vegas) it was the girl who always won that fight right outside town. Then tried jumping me after our conversation was over.

This time (neutral, with a tech bent) it was Tomas, who actually had no idea what the big deal was about the blue star caps, and just wanted to know why the girl he'd been traveling with suddenly went psycho. I actually thought that thing was scripted to have Jacklyn win. Neat.

Of course, I helped him realize that carrying those caps was far too dangerous for the uninformed, so it'd be better to give them to me. 50 Speech, baby. :smug:

The biggest problem Obsidian made with the ghouls in the space ship was putting them as part of the main quest and fairly early in the game. Your only choice is to take part in the silliness or flat out kill ghouls that are friendly to you. If you are just following the main quests its pretty much your second real quest in the game.

Drakron

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I guess I should have added "in Fallout 1 & 2." Since I disregard Fallout 3 as much as possible due to all the retarded stuff (East Coast FEV strain and Enclave computer and whatnot).

Two things, New Vegas makes references to the Delta rocket (not the IX but the XI) so that part is accepted as far as New Vegas goes.

Also it seems to be a gross misunderstanding, REPCONN was purchased by RobCo in 2076 (or 2075, both dates are given) but the company started in 2054 and it was focused in the development of fuel, its was recent event (a few years before the Great War) as REPCONN started because of the fossil fuel crisis.

REPCONN only developed 4 functional rockets,the Z43-521P "Green Bean", the V29-321G "Big Fat Fiery Fred", the R77-293A "Needlenose" and the one we see in the Launch Facility.

Also by the sound of the tour, REPCONN development in rocket development only started after RobCo acquired the company but already had extensive knowledge in fuel, it seems they primary used nuclear as means of propulsion.

I think you can connect the dots if you know WHO owned RobCo and why they were all "unmanned".

Silellak

Cipher
Overweight Manatee said:
The biggest problem Obsidian made with the ghouls in the space ship was putting them as part of the main quest and fairly early in the game. Your only choice is to take part in the silliness or flat out kill ghouls that are friendly to you. If you are just following the main quests its pretty much your second real quest in the game.
True, but if you don't want to deal with it, I'm pretty sure you can just kill the guy who gives you the quest in the first place - I think he has a letter that points you in the right direction of the Main Quest.

roll-a-die

Magister
Silellak said:
Overweight Manatee said:
True, but if you don't want to deal with it, I'm pretty sure you can just kill the guy who gives you the quest in the first place - I think he has a letter that points you in the right direction of the Main Quest.
Hack his computer as he's sleeping. He's got a note left there from Benny/One of the Great Khans.

Silellak

Cipher
roll-a-die said:
Silellak said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Hack his computer as he's sleeping. He's got a note left there from Benny/One of the Great Khans.
Nice.

roll-a-die said:
Silellak said:
Overweight Manatee said:

Didn't know that, but its still a bit of an unusual workaround that isn't evident unless you are the kind of player that just searches through everyone's house in the first place. Killing him is something that should be completely out of character for everyone who isn't a raging asshole. I think a speech check at least would be a good idea. All you are asking for directions on a guy that isn't particularly liked in the area anyway, its not like you need a huge favor equal to that of clearing out an entire ghoul area.

Secretninja

Cipher
I could have sworn there was a speech check when he told me to go do it, but was too high at the time for my character. I had the science to hack his computer already, and it would make sense to rifle through his shit to find clue if he wasn't being forthcoming.

Lumpy

Arcane
I don't see how a space program is out of place in the Fallout universe. And given the 'makeshift' nature of post-apoc, wearing a spacesuit for radiation protection makes sense.

You can also (presumably) run around naked in the wasteland. Of course it doesn't fit the setting, because it's a stupid thing to do.

madbringer

Arcane
Bros there was a crashed shuttle in Fallout 2 so it makes perfect sense except it was from start trek so i dunno lol also hubologists tried to launch a space ship but they were full of fail lulz.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
HanoverF said:
Yeah, but that made perfect sense, it's just in NV for the lulz!
This, unfortunately, seems to be a large portion of this thread in a nutshell.

On the bright side, all the trolling and hating has actually significantly raised my interest in the game. Reverse psychology and all that :smug:

I'm still waiting for a few more patches though.

Secretninja

Cipher
I am playing on ps3, but I would recommend waiting for patches almost as much as I would recommend this game to Fallout fans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom