Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Secretninja

Cipher
No one commented on the tard claiming that a town made sense because they mine gold?

NCR is not the same NCR as in FO2. They are obviously stretched to thin, far from home, and generally poorly run.

Keep in mind this is a science fiction setting. It is not meant to be an accurate portrayal of how things would be in a post apoc setting.

Edit: The majority of the game makes sense. Certain shit doesn't. It is funny that a dinosaur facing the direction that raiders come from with a FUCKING MOUNTAIN RANGE behind it doesn't make sense to someone though. Just think how horribly his brain would break if he made it to the boomers.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I haven't played NV so I'm not really entering that converstation and I don't have an idea of whether or not it sucks. The reason I posted these two pictures is that the space suit really ruins my idea of the Fallout setting. Is it coherent in a 50's pulp sci-fi way ? Yes. Does it belong in Fallout ? No. I won't go into specifics, this is basically an emotional matter anyway, but it really seems goofy to me. Roaming the wastelands in an "Amazing stories" spacesuit pretty much kills the vault dweller in me. Hence the pictures I posted.
A pack of Brando lookalikes, complete with black leather jackets and motorbikes (provided there is a justification for functioning bikes in this setting, but I have no doubt one could easily be found) would also turn me off. All what's 50's not Fallout. Or at least, my Fallout.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
333006-00648690_super.jpg

As much as hilarious is 1eyedking's claim that The Witcher is intelligent, it's even more hilarious how you try to prove that it isn't by posting pictures of the naked/semi-naked women from it. Obviously something can't be intelligent if it has nudity. :salute:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
I haven't played NV so I'm not really entering that converstation and I don't have an idea of whether or not it sucks. The reason I posted these two pictures is that the space suit really ruins my idea of the Fallout setting. Is it coherent in a 50's pulp sci-fi way ? Yes. Does it belong in Fallout ? No. I won't go into specifics, this is basically an emotional matter anyway, but it really seems goofy to me. Roaming the wastelands in an "Amazing stories" spacesuit pretty much kills the vault dweller in me. Hence the pictures I posted.
A pack of Brando lookalikes, complete with black leather jackets and motorbikes (provided there is a justification for functioning bikes in this setting, but I have no doubt one could easily be found) would also turn me off. All what's 50's not Fallout. Or at least, my Fallout.

Pretty much. The original meaning was long lost, unfortunately. Now bands of greasers are Fallout apparently, because they fit in the 50s.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Secretninja said:
Keep in mind this is a science fiction setting. It is not meant to be an accurate portrayal of how things would be in a post apoc setting.
And there has already been time for society to rebuild itself.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

That's explained while talking to their boss... The King.

FeelTheRads said:
As much as hilarious is 1eyedking's claim that The Witcher is intelligent, it's even more hilarious how you try to prove that it isn't by posting pictures of the naked/semi-naked women from it. Obviously something can't be intelligent if it has nudity. :salute:

Derp. That was in response to 1ek's tactic of using a single pic to prove something.

Herp derp.

And I agree, the nudity there doesn't prove anything for whatever reason, but a single pic of DA's nudity cause an eruption of lulz because, uh, Bioware.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
It's racofer's shitty attempt at trolling the codex with a photoshopped picture, that's what it is.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Derp. That was in response to 1ek's tactic of using a single pic to prove something.

Herp derp.

Except it was Lonely Vazdru who posted those and they did prove something, as opposed to yours.

Secretninja

Cipher
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Secretninja said:

Which it did. In California. Nevada isn't exactly prime real estate for building up from nothing.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Havoc said:

:lol:

You're joking, right ?

yl4l5g87.jpg

RIGHT ?

Mortmal

Arcane
And people will argue about ghouls in space( evenif they are not even going into space)...
mysteryinspace50.gif

Oh and another one:

talesoftheunexpected44.gif

True 50's comics.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Secretninja said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Secretninja said:

Which it did. In California. Nevada isn't exactly prime real estate for building up from nothing.
I'd argue that the conditions described are pretty good. Since a major city avoided direct nuclear attack and there is a lot of clean water around as well.

If anything, what could be said is that no proto-nation emerged there like California. Most of Nevada feels a lot like Fallout 2 settlements and larger population centers.

EDIT: And I actually like the reason why the Kings became the way they did.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Lonely Vazdru said:
Havoc said:

:lol:

You're joking, right ?

yl4l5g87.jpg

RIGHT ?

Yes and no, my friend. Yes and no.

Project: Eternity
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I'd argue that the conditions described are pretty good. Since a major city avoided direct nuclear attack and there is a lot of clean water around as well.

An undestroyed city, clean water AND a major hydroelectric plant.

Plus probably the greatest genius of the old world having his hands on the reconstruction with armed robots as tools.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Mortmal said:
And people will argue about ghouls in space( evenif they are not even going into space)...
http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/comics/co ... pace50.gif

Oh and another one:

http://libweb.lib.buffalo.edu/comics/co ... cted44.gif

True 50's comics.

Yes, this is what Fallout was always about. I mean, shit man, Fallout 1 & 2 were full of that. :retarded:

What, exactly?

Read what me and Lonely Vazdru said on the previous page.
Mortmal, you may like to read that too before you derp any further.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
FO2 is lulzy. It's got tons of silly crap. But it's done tastefully, as in it make sense in itself (as I explained in every example CK threw), conveys an insightful message, and is actually humorous.
Fallout 2 is idiotic.

A ghost who wants its locket?
Gorilla looking gangsters in suits and tommy guns?
Yakuza with wakishaszi?
The talking plant?
Cheating chess-playing radscorpion with fucking glasses you can steal?
Aliens?
Ass-raping mutant with a ball gag? This one IS tasteful and insightful.
Hubologists with celebrities? Please note that the hubologists trying to leave the planet on a shuttle is clever and oh so funny, while the ghouls trying to find a place where they won't be bothered is lulzy, bad, and wrong on every possible level. In fact, uninstalling the game upon completing the quest is the only acceptable reaction.
Talking deathclaws?
SkyNet? Motherfucking SkyNet? I suppose that's funny and witty.
Knights on a quest for a Holy Hand Grenade? This one is definitely witty, funny, and classy.
The good vs evil kung-fu championship?
Frank Horrigan aka the giant robot because kids of all ages like giant robots?

Blackadder said:
(Blackadder) Has spent the first 8 pages or so of this thread proclaiming NV to be shit, long before anyone had finished the game, long before anyone had posted anything but impressions of the tutorial, long before we had any sort of coherent picture of the game. As such, juxtaposing him with Skyway is very reasonable indeed.
I was stating that people are falling over themselves giving the game praise in the first day or so of playing, saying how brilliant it is, and we have all seen this before with all the new CRPG's out in the past few years. I suggested that people wait until they have played through more of the game and see if they still think it is so brilliant.
Nigga, WHAT?

There were no "falling over themselves giving praise" in this thread, in fact the very first positive comment came at page 8(at which point you left the thread for quite a while) by Jasede. After that there were fizzelopeguss, trash and VD who dared to say the game was fun (which sort of debunks the idea that the eventual decline came with the newfags) but other than that the highest praise came from someone who was cautiously optimistic. After that there were some posters saying they enjoyed the game so far, but most of the "discussion" prior to this point were just some people pointing out that the arguments presented were nothing short of Skyway-isms, which I pointed out in a post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom