Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Are you saying rape can't be tasteful? You haven't played Volourn's NWN mod yet, I see.

Project: Eternity
Shannow said:
Freelance Henchman said:
None of which gives a belivable reason as to why NCR put him into the position in the first place.

I think the reason Fantastic gives is that he claimed he had a "theoretical degree in physics" when they asked him. My impression was that in the post-apocalyptic wasteland there aren't that many scientists to go around, so you take what you can get. Silly or lulzy, you decide. :lol:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
180px-MJpopcorn.gif

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Sceptic said:
Assraping... with a ballgag... tasteful... conveys... insightful... message...
Well the ballgag does convey an insightful message : discretion.

The real question about NV is :
druggie.gif
Does it have whores ?

1eyedking

Erudite
Tasteful ≠ OH GOD IT'S FULL OF MONOCLES

The message is that big green guys still have sexual needs and are not just hulks of muscle waiting for the next PC to walk into their range of sight so they can start firing their miniguns.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sceptic said:
FO2 had crazy humans in space... and that's better because?
Because it's in line with what scientologists believe now. It has context. The ghouls believe it "just because". ;)

Anyway, FYI: I'd say that NV tries to be as believable as FO and as lulzy as FO2. The general setting is certainly quite believable and the lulz don't come into the way too often. The lulz on the other hand have so far been quite "meh".

And herostatus needs to re-read the whole thread.

[ninjaedit] What about 1EK's other points? One bad argument doesn't invalidate all the others.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Freelance Henchman said:
Shannow said:
Freelance Henchman said:
None of which gives a belivable reason as to why NCR put him into the position in the first place.

I think the reason Fantastic gives is that he claimed he had a "theoretical degree in physics" when they asked him. My impression was that in the post-apocalyptic wasteland there aren't that many scientists to go around, so you take what you can get. Silly or lulzy, you decide. :lol:
Silly. Seriously, play up to Dr. Harding ;)

gothfox

Liturgist
Because it's in line with what scientologists believe now. It has context. The ghouls believe it "just because".

Let's expand on this wonderful line of thinking: ghouls don't even exist now. Onoz, they exist in Fallout "just because".

:retarded:

Shannow

Waster of Time
gothfox said:
Because it's in line with what scientologists believe now. It has context. The ghouls believe it "just because".

Let's expand on this wonderful line of thinking: ghouls don't even exist now. Onoz, they exist in Fallout "just because".

:retarded:
try harder

(Blackadder) Has spent the first 8 pages or so of this thread proclaiming NV to be shit, long before anyone had finished the game, long before anyone had posted anything but impressions of the tutorial, long before we had any sort of coherent picture of the game. As such, juxtaposing him with Skyway is very reasonable indeed.

Ah, finally.

Good to see I was correct: You didn't have anything to say. I was not declaring the game 'shit'. I was stating that people are falling over themselves giving the game praise in the first day or so of playing, saying how brilliant it is, and we have all seen this before with all the new CRPG's out in the past few years. I suggested that people wait until they have played through more of the game and see if they still think it is so brilliant.

Naturally, for taking this common sense approach...with the wrong company... :salute: I was dragged through the mud and attacked from pillar to post, even when I pointed out actual instances of where this 'love turned to hate' situation had occurred on a number of occasions before. It seems the truth is still not getting through to some morons, eh?

Perhaps you can refute this? I will await your next post, though from your plain ignorance and inability to discern who wrote what, I have little hope you will get it right this time.

KreideBein

Scholar
1eyedking said:
There isn't a single example, that's why. I mean I can direct people to my signature whenever they say the Witcher has bad writing, but they're not doing much effort to prove F3:NV's worth.

For fuck's sake you insipid retard, there have been examples posted. You just gloss over anything that refutes your inane ramblings and continue to spout the same bullshit over and over. Decent reasons (for the most part) have been posted for the "lulzy" things in NV which you pointed out. When people point out the idiocy present in FO2, you don't rise to the level of the the people against whom you're arguing and try to explain it. Instead, you just repeat your pathetic mantra of "it's all coherent and insightful, I promise." No it's not you fucking moron, it's random shit that was put in the game because the developers thought it'd be funny. Sometimes it is, most of the time it's not, but in either case, it's not fucking coherent or insightful.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Shannow said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Shannow said:
Freelance Henchman said:

Silly. Seriously, play up to Dr. Harding ;)

Who?

1eyedking

Erudite
KreideBein said:
For fuck's sake you insipid retard, there have been examples posted. You just gloss over anything that refutes your inane ramblings and continue to spout the same bullshit over and over. Decent reasons (for the most part) have been posted for the "lulzy" things in NV which you pointed out. When people point out the idiocy present in FO2, you don't rise to the level of the the people against whom you're arguing and try to explain it. Instead, you just repeat your pathetic mantra of "it's all coherent and insightful, I promise." No it's not you fucking moron, it's random shit that was put in the game because the developers thought it'd be funny. Sometimes it is, most of the time it's not, but in either case, it's not fucking coherent or insightful.
Decent reasons? Please, do tell which they were because so far I've read "because they're insane".

As for FO2, please re-read my explanations. They're a bit smarter than "they do it because they're crazy".

But please keep the crescent wave of ad hominems coming, I have come to understand this as a signal that I have clearly hit the mark with my statements.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jasede said:
Are you saying rape can't be tasteful? You haven't played Volourn's NWN mod yet, I see.
Lonely Vazdru said:
Well the ballgag does convey an insightful message : discretion.
I stand corrected.

Shannow said:
Because it's in line with what scientologists believe now. It has context. The ghouls believe it "just because". ;)
Maybe the ghouls are the surviving scientologists hubbologists? ;)

But seriously, I see where you're coming from.

Anyway, FYI: I'd say that NV tries to be as believable as FO and as lulzy as FO2. The general setting is certainly quite believable and the lulz don't come into the way too often. The lulz on the other hand have so far been quite "meh".
First statement got me worried, but the second one's closer to what I would like from a FO game. The lulz being meh probably won't make that much a difference to me, as long as they're not there constantly then it's just the occasional distraction that I can shove aside (and I am most certainly NOT taking Wild Wasteland).

What about 1EK's other points? One bad argument doesn't invalidate all the others.
Which other points? about FO2 not being lulzy? I'd rather stop thinking about them before my head really explodes. About the other silly lulz in NV? 1ek made it sound as if the whole game was nothing but a string of this kind of lulz, whereas you clearly said otherwise. However I can't really comment without playing the game (the only reason I picked on the ghouls in space one was due to its similarity to the hubbologists). Some of them seem to have been addressed by others though (such as the dinosaur).

KreideBein

Scholar
1eyedking said:
Decent reasons? Please, do tell which they were because so far I've read "because they're insane".

I'm going to steal Haba's post format for this.

1. The sniper in the dinosaur mouth. As has been pointed out numerous times, that position is the highest place in a town that's pretty much on a plateau. It provides 180 degree cover of the area around the town. How is this stupid?

2. Giant statue. Characters point out that it's stupid and wasteful. Beyond that, are you aware of the fact that plenty of nations of the years have built pointless monuments? A shock to you, I'm sure.

3. The Nightkin thing. It's clearly explained that overuse of Stealth Boys has negatively impacted the sanity of the Nightkin. People do weird shit when they go crazy. Attacking loud animals is not exactly far fetched.

4. Caesar's Legion and Nipton. This is pretty clearly done to send a message to everyone west of the Hudson River. How is this retarded?

5. Ghouls launching off in rockets. It's also been explained quite a few times that they're almost certainly launching to another location on Earth, not into space. Specifically, they're going to a place with a high amount of radiation to avoid being bothered by humans. Yes, it's stupid that their leader talks with an echo. This is hardly enough reason to declare the entire section of the game irredeemable.

6. Power plant management. I can't remember who posted it, but look for the post with a big spoiler section; it explains this section of the game better.

1eyedking said:
As for FO2, please re-read my explanations. They're a bit smarter than "they do it because they're crazy".

Not really, no. The things intended to be funny in FO2 are inconsistent with the tone of the first game and serve no purpose beyond just being "lulzy". All the things you pointed out as problems in NV are at least explainable within the setting. The problems with FO2 have nothing to do with the setting and are thus incoherent.

1eyedking said:
But please keep the crescent wave of ad hominems coming, I have come to understand this as a signal that I have clearly hit the mark with my statements.

Calling you an idiot is not a fallacious ad hominem attack. Calling you an idiot as a means of dismissing your argument is. Learn the difference.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Sceptic said:
Assraping... with a ballgag... tasteful... conveys... insightful... message...

HeadExplode.gif

I'm more concerned by "the giant scorpion eating smart-pills makes it justifiable and insightful that it now wears glasses and plays chess because that's what them smart people do"

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
1eyedking said:
Jasede said:
The game is not a string of constant lulz. It's actually quite sombre.

Lonely Vazdru said:

:M

I don't even know why I bother, but those space suits are found in a logical location and just because someone dressed his companion up in them doesn't really refute or prove my point in any way.

Also, I'd say that they resemble the nostalgic 50's atmosphere quite well in their design, as someone already pointed out.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
Jasede said:
The game is not a string of constant lulz. It's actually quite sombre.

Lonely Vazdru said:

:M
And the problem is? The space suit is consistent with the 50's sci-fi (in fact it's a perfect fit) and unlike the jump suit, you have a very good reason to wear it - the high rad protection which goes nicely with the high rad locations in the game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also, I'd say that they resemble the nostalgic 50's atmosphere quite well in their design, as someone already pointed out.

Well, no, not really. Fallout wasn't "take everything from the 50s and glue it together". There are no such copypasted things in Fallout 1 or even 2 that I can remember. It's simply trying too hard, a thing Van Buren was also guilty of. Way, way too much 50s designs copypasted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom