Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

FeelTheRads said:
Read what me and Lonely Vazdru said on the previous page.
Mortmal, you may like to read that too before you derp any further.

Lonely Vazdru said:
I haven't played NV so I'm not really entering that converstation and I don't have an idea of whether or not it sucks. The reason I posted these two pictures is that the space suit really ruins my idea of the Fallout setting. Is it coherent in a 50's pulp sci-fi way ? Yes. Does it belong in Fallout ? No. I won't go into specifics, this is basically an emotional matter anyway, but it really seems goofy to me. Roaming the wastelands in an "Amazing stories" spacesuit pretty much kills the vault dweller in me. Hence the pictures I posted.
A pack of Brando lookalikes, complete with black leather jackets and motorbikes (provided there is a justification for functioning bikes in this setting, but I have no doubt one could easily be found) would also turn me off. All what's 50's not Fallout. Or at least, my Fallout.

ah, k lol, all the other people in this thread are tards because they don't agree with your Fallout.

Could've just said "youa re dumb", you know

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Knights on a quest for a Holy Hand Grenade? This one is definitely witty, funny, and classy.

That's an easter egg... the rest... yea, pretty much pants on head retarded.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
1eyedking said:
FO2 is lulzy. It's got tons of silly crap. But it's done tastefully, as in it make sense in itself (as I explained in every example CK threw), conveys an insightful message, and is actually humorous.
Fallout 2 is idiotic.

A ghost who wants its locket?
Gorilla looking gangsters in suits and tommy guns?
Yakuza with wakishaszi?
The talking plant?
Cheating chess-playing radscorpion with fucking glasses you can steal?
Aliens?
Ass-raping mutant with a ball gag? This one IS tasteful and insightful.
Hubologists with celebrities? Please note that the hubologists trying to leave the planet on a shuttle is clever and oh so funny, while the ghouls trying to find a place where they won't be bothered is lulzy, bad, and wrong on every possible level. In fact, uninstalling the game upon completing the quest is the only acceptable reaction.
Talking deathclaws?
SkyNet? Motherfucking SkyNet? I suppose that's funny and witty.
Knights on a quest for a Holy Hand Grenade? This one is definitely witty, funny, and classy.
The good vs evil kung-fu championship?
Frank Horrigan aka the giant robot because kids of all ages like giant robots?

Tranny supermutant + orbital laser = good stuff, though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
ah, k lol, all the other people in this thread are tards because they don't agree with your Fallout.

Keep on riding the retard train. :salute:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lonely Vazdru said:
I haven't played NV so I'm not really entering that converstation and I don't have an idea of whether or not it sucks. The reason I posted these two pictures is that the space suit really ruins my idea of the Fallout setting. Is it coherent in a 50's pulp sci-fi way ? Yes. Does it belong in Fallout ? No. I won't go into specifics, this is basically an emotional matter anyway, but it really seems goofy to me. Roaming the wastelands in an "Amazing stories" spacesuit pretty much kills the vault dweller in me. Hence the pictures I posted.
Well... technically nobody's roaming the wasteland in space suits (at least I haven't seen anyone yet). Random "look at my character" shots can hardly be used as a basis for "it ruins it for me" criticism. You find the suit where it belongs (unless you're prepared to argue that space travel tech and anything related doesn't fit the setting) and have a good reason to hang on to it. That's all there is to it.

FeelTheRads said:
Tranny supermutant + orbital laser = good stuff, though.
Criticism of Fallout 2 setting doesn't imply that New Vegas' setting is "good stuff". My point is that when people bitch about NV's setting issues, they shouldn't pretend that Fallout 2 was very consistent and tasteful.

Fallout 3 went way over the line and was cringe-worthy. NV's setting is either better than Fallout 2 or on the same level, but not worse. In my humble opinion, of course.

crazy_dave

Educated
Gotta agree with Vault Dweller's toughts. Unfortunatley I first got Fallout 2, played it and loved it. Then, when I was beggining to get bored by numerous replays of it, i decided to get Fallout 1. Started playing it, but the inferiror interface put me off so I never played it much. Then, a few years back I really decided to play it through and I LOVED IT. It's my favorite game ever. And it was definitley MUCH better then fallout 2. And more consistent. Without the funny shit, which I didn't like. But still with better humor and story.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Clockwork Knight said:

I didn't call anyone a retard and added "my Fallout" precisely to point that it's just a matter of emotional preferences. I don't mince my words when I'm all rage but here I'm not, so please don't interpret my diplomacy as disguised spite.

Vault Dweller said:
Well... technically nobody's roaming the wasteland in space suits (at least I haven't seen anyone yet). Random "look at my character" shots can hardly be used as a basis for "it ruins it for me" criticism. You find the suit where it belongs (unless you're prepared to argue that space travel tech and anything related doesn't fit the setting) and have a good reason to hang on to it. That's all there is to it.
By "roaming the wasteland", I meant the main character. I sure hope there is no space legion roaming the wasteland. If you find such a suit and keep it, whether it be for stats or fashion reasons, you do roam the wasteland like some Adam Strange wannabe and it really, really turns me off. The contrast with the original Vault Dweller is so blatant, I can understand not minding it, even enjoying it, but not seeing it ?

Just to be clear, I also hated some of the stuff in Fallout2, like the Mafia families and their infamous bouncers.

Vault Dweller

Developer
1eyedking said:
None of these towns had religious ghouls who wanted to launch into space. Nor snipers on top of dinosaurs. Nor gigantic metal scrap statues.
Um, forgot about hubologists with their shuttle already? And what's with the fucking sniper? Such statues do exist even today in small towns (saw a giant monkey last summer) and they do provide a good elevation point. I'm not a sniper, but I think that 180 degrees from a high structure is better than 360 degrees from a medium height structure. And, as has been pointed out, building giant statues is hardly a lulz-worthy occupation. The Colossus? The Statue of Liberty which was actually shipped from France and took more than a decade to construct and the work was almost aborted at some point due to the lack of funds? Was it absolutely necessary? No. Shouldn't they have probably spent the money on something useful and actually needed? Yes. But they did it anyway. Why? Because people like giant fucking statues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motherland_Calls
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_the ... 8statue%29

Lonely Vazdru said:
Clockwork Knight said:

I didn't call anyone a retard and added "my Fallout" precisely to point that it's just a matter of emotional preferences. I don't mince my words when I'm all rage but here I'm not, so please don't interpret my diplomacy as disguised spite.

I was talking to FTR, which agrees with you but seems to confuse opinions with facts

Secretninja

Cipher
The space suit makes more sense than the doc at the beginning going, hey here is my old vault jumpsuit, I bet you need it lol.

And the space suit isn't amazing or anything. The helmet is good because it doesn't weigh anything, but other than just to intentionally make yourself mad there isn't really a reason to wear it for very long.

Drakron

Arcane
1eyedking said:
You say hiring 'Fantastic' is entirely plausible. That it wasn't for the lulz. A serious military faction. Hiring a random guy. Who's obviously a dumbfuck. Because they lack personnel. I mean, I just...why do I fucking even bother? Can't get more apologetic than what has been said already.

Missed the fact the commanding officer says he is a idiot wearing sunglasses and Helios One is not even that important to the NCR that is focused on Hoover Dam?

Also they are at war with the Brotherhood of Steel that was holding the facility, they likely taken it just because the BoS was holding it and not because it had any real value to the NCR.

Sure he is a idiot and someone hired him but its not as if they are letting him near Hoover Dam or any sensible installation.

Because people like giant fucking statues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motherland_Calls

The Russian Motherland does have a nice rack ...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lonely Vazdru said:
By "roaming the wasteland", I meant the main character. I sure hope there is no space legion roaming the wasteland. If you find such a suit and keep it, whether it be for stats or fashion reasons, you do roam the wasteland like some Adam Strange wannabe and it really, really turns me off. The contrast with the original Vault Dweller is so blatant, I can understand not minding it, even enjoying it, but not seeing it ?

Just to be clear, I also hated some of the stuff in Fallout2, like the Mafia families and their infamous bouncers.
There is no reason to roam the wasteland in it. It's not the best or even good armor and its only value is the high rad protection, which makes it useful only when you enter highly radioactive locations where your count goes up with every second.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I was talking to FTR, which agrees with you but seems to confuse opinions with facts

There are no facts, only opinions, right? I'm sure you'd like that, but maybe stop being a fucking hippie for a change?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Vault Dweller said:
There is no reason to roam the wasteland in it. It's not the best or even good armor and its only value is the high rad protection, which makes it useful only when you enter highly radioactive locations where your count goes up with every second.
Sure, you don't have to wear it all the time. But it's there. It's like that "Cloud's sword" Co8 thing. Some people think it fucks the setting, some say "just ignore it". I personally didn't mind the sword but I do mind the space suit.
I still don't know if it's just a gimmick or if it implies a space program and men going into space in such suits in the Fallout setting btw, which is it ?

FTR said:
There are no facts, only opinions, right? I'm sure you'd like that, but maybe stop being a fucking hippie for a change?

No bro, there are facts too. But "shitsux because it ruins my idea of what Fallout is " isn't one, no matter how hard you believe.

spongebob-imagination.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
Vault Dweller said:
Sure, you don't have to wear it all the time. But it's there. It's like that "Cloud's sword" Co8 thing. Some people think it fucks the setting, some say "just ignore it". I personally didn't mind the sword but I do mind the space suit.
I still don't know if it's just a gimmick or if it implies a space program and men going into space in such suits in the Fallout setting btw, which is it ?

Its both you find the suit in a highly radioactive area, and later in the facility , the ghoul sect guru expect rockets to bring him in the "far beyond" . It doesnt mention its space but far too radioactive for the humans.You see them wearing it briefly in a cutscene, but never again in the game.
Tbh theres less lulz int he whole game than in fallout 2. You think such 50's comic space suit spoil the setting, fine, but its really not like a cloud sword.In my humble opinion its fine next the brain robots and robot cops with flickerings monitors, i see fallout like a post apocalyptic world with 50's comic pseudo technology.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sceptic said:
Wild Wasteland
I have it, and so far it caused me to find a fridge in the middle of nowhere with a skeleton and a hat in it...??? I may have missed other notifications of the trait "activating", though.

And as Jasede says, the game is quite sombre for the most part.
But it's also here where people seem to be talking past each other as to what lulzy is. Some of those who say it's not very lulzy seem to argue that it's not so because characters in the game point out nonsense/lulz themselves. And as we all know, lulz stop being lulz as soon as they're pointed out. *shrug*

Secretninja

Cipher
Only truly wtf moment wild wasteland gave me was Rex barking Timmy is trapped in the well, which led to a well with a skeleton and a limited edition bb gun. The rest of the things I found weren't that bizarre and consistent with the setting.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lonely Vazdru said:
Vault Dweller said:
A space program.

Also, I didn't mean "you don't have to use it, so pretend it's not there". The presence of very radioactive locations is logical in the Fallout world and requires special wear. If you want to explore such locations, wearing proper suits makes more sense than taking pills.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
With Wild Wasteland, I found the burnt skeletons of Owen and Beru (Luke Skywalker's foster parents) in Nipton.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Vault Dweller said:
A space program.
Thanks for the brevity and clarity. That's what I call an answer. :salute:

Vault Dweller said:
The presence of very radioactive locations is logical in the Fallout world and requires special wear. If you want to explore such locations, wearing proper suits makes more sense than taking pills.
Well, the suits are there, they are equipable and whether or not you choose to use them is not really the point. Some will, some won't. My point was that the player can equip them, probably will, at least for a time, so "roaming the wasteland" was of course an overstatement but not a product of my hatred or my imagination.
I honestly never imagined that humans had a space program in Fallout but now that I know they do, no matter how much I try, I can't find these suits belonging in any way (I leave the hubologist space shuttle out of this, it belonged even less than these suits). I really can't imagine the Fallout equivalent of NASA spacesuits to be anything like this. What should they look like then ? Given the goofyness of 50's pulp Sci-Fi, nothing that I'd like to associate with the dryness of a post-apoc wasteland probably. That's why I was fine with a "no-spacefaring humans" Fallout.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
Havoc said:
A pack of Brando lookalikes, complete with black leather jackets and motorbikes (provided there is a justification for functioning bikes in this setting, but I have no doubt one could easily be found) would also turn me off. All what's 50's not Fallout. Or at least, my Fallout.

That's explained while talking to their boss... The King.
:lol:

You're joking, right ?

yl4l5g87.jpg

RIGHT ?

bumfuck tribals in a ruined city comes across a building dedicated to a "King", find out he was super influental, rich and drowning in pussy, so decide to imitate him.

Yes, this is what Fallout was always about. I mean, shit man, Fallout 1 & 2 were full of that.

Err yeah, the first two games art-styles were entirely based off old pulp like those comics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom