Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Topher said:
I'd give him this one it's a very weak quest, the weakest I've come across so far. There was one other quest I didn't care for but I can't remember off the top of my head, it's already been mentioned in this topic.

It was the most Bethesda-like quest of the ones I have done so far, that's for sure. I almost wonder if someone from Bethesda called Obsidian one day and was like "dudes I have an epic quest idea that can't wait for our next Fallout game... get this... Ghouls... IN SPACE!"

jaylittle

Scholar
Okay I've played for quite a few hours and here are my thoughts:

1) NV is a massive improvement over F3. The writing is much much improved. It also helps that they have integrated parts of the soundtrack from F1/F2 in addition to pieces of the lore while ignoring anything related to F3.

2) NV is not better than G2 (which I am playing at the same time though admittedly NV has started getting a greater share of the time).

3) NV has technical issues out the ass. I got a dll from New Vegas Nexus that seemed to resolve most of the issues for me on my GTX 260M, but it's a real shame that Obsidian seems to think every game they ship has to be broken fundamentally in some way. Still the hack works.

4) NV has some good companions. However they tend to make things too easy. Right now I've got Boone and he pretty much kills anything that moves before I get a chance to participate.

5) NV skill checks feel more realistic and typically provide multiple options.

Over all it is a vast improvement over F3 and is much appreciated. In addition due to the factions and what not, NV offers some real motivation for replaying the game later on. As much as I despise the Legion, I do want to ally with them on my next play through.

Secretninja

Cipher
The turd burglar at Helios 1 is only in charge because the guy in charge of the OSI East is a dimwitted bureaucrat, who has his subordinate do any real work.

herostratus said:
ME14.jpg
vs
Franklin.jpg
vs
mbladekxw4.jpg
vs
y21.png

Which is better and why?

Discuss!!!!

Now this is what a fanboy does. Doesn't say anything, and takes the opportunity while others are busy discussing something to throw a rock into the crowd.

I take it, like every other time you post something, you didn't really have anything to say, did you?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Blackadder said:
herostratus said:
ME14.jpg
vs
Franklin.jpg
vs
mbladekxw4.jpg
vs
y21.png

Which is better and why?

Discuss!!!!

Now this is what a fanboy does. Doesn't say anything, and takes the opportunity while others are busy discussing something to throw a rock into the crowd.

I take it, like every other time you post something, you didn't really have anything to say, did you?

Yes, there is a huge difference between the above and just writing *SHITSHITSHIT!* (although I don't count you among the shiny gentlemen up there, don't think I'd even count Shannow).

Everyone can simplify, not only fanbois or haters. In fact, it's what the Codex has turned into an artform.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Blackadder said:
herostratus said:
ME14.jpg
vs
Franklin.jpg
vs
mbladekxw4.jpg
vs
y21.png

Which is better and why?

Discuss!!!!

I think someone has gotten the difference between fanboy and troll confused.

Franklin.jpg

Mangoose said:
Blackadder said:
herostratus said:
ME14.jpg
vs
Franklin.jpg
vs
mbladekxw4.jpg
vs
y21.png

Which is better and why?

Discuss!!!!

I think someone has gotten the difference between fanboy and troll confused.

Franklin.jpg

Are they not, in the correct thread, one and the same?

Shannow

Waster of Time
herostratus said:
ME14.jpg
vs
Franklin.jpg
vs
mbladekxw4.jpg
vs
y21.png

Which is better and why?

Discuss!!!!
None, they're all shit. Should be rounded up and put into a concentration camp. How dare they not agree with our opinions?!?

I know, pay attention to a troll and he wins, but I simply coudln't resist ;)

@Grunker, right after you asked for it, of course. Somewhere around page 26, IIRC.
Not getting into semantics with you. I leave that to VD. But it might help for you to know that I skipped all non-one-liner replies to 1EK's post. Which might also help you reconsidering whether "we both know" whom I meant or not^^

Mortmal

Arcane
Haba said:
Shannow said:
Grunker said:
Shannow said:
1eyedking makes his first coherent post with multiple valid points in months and all the fanboys can think of in response is :retarded:

How does my and VD's replies count as just answering with a smiley, oh Shannow of Divine Righteousness?
Ok, since you are unable to understand pictogramms here the translation: all the fanboys can think of in response is retardation.
So, you see yourself and VD as fanboys, interesting. General question: Do you think there is any point in arguing with fanboys?

If you like a game, you are a fanboy.

If you post criticism for the game, yet conclude that you found it enjoyable despite its flaws, you're still a fanboy.

If you voice out your disagreement when someone says that the features you enjoyed in the game are "shitty shitshit", you are a retarded fanboy.

1eyedking said:
F3:NV is F3. A silly roller-coaster ride with no cohesion whatsoever. NCR sets up a 'Fantastic' dude to take care of an extremely important solar power facility just for the lulz of it. An idiot scientist believes he is a Ghoul for the lulz of it. You can send a faction of religious ghouls (who believe for the lulz of it) into space for the lulz of it. Or kill them for the lulz of it. Their leader speaks with a background echo just for the lulz of it. You can wear space suits and helmets just for the lulz of it (nobody comments on such a ridicule apparel).

A sniper sets himself up on top of a dinosaur mouth that gives him no peripheral vision for the lulz of it. The owner of the dinosaur store sells T-Rex toys for the lulz of it. Crazy invisible mutants kill brahmin for the lulz of it. The Caesar's Legion burns down towns (instead of enslaving them) for the lulz of it. NCR builds gigantic metal statues for the lulz of it. And so on, and on...

-Sniper and peripheral vision... right. I guess the sniper just doesn't like being shot in the back.

Fallout_NV_Dinky_Sniper--article_image.jpg

-NCR builds giant statue out of scrap metal. Characters nearby point out the stupidity of it all. Plausible.

-Nightkin kills brahmin because of mental degradation. The game provides reasoning for such behavior (also, remember certain cattle-protecting quest in FO1/2?)

-Caesar's Legion takes slaves, then burns down a village and kills a portion of the villagers to send a signal and to reduce the enemy morale. Said village is also too far behind enemy lines for the Legion to keep under their influence.

-Ghouls launching off to space... The lore provides plenty of examples of the declining sanity of ghouls.

-NCR hires incompetent moran to take care of their important power plant... I guess they had a shortage of university graduates in the post apocalyptia? Keep in mind that NCR is far, far from its core areas. I find it entirely plausible that there'd be shortage of suitable personel. Also; the game makes references to the fact that NCR is forced to use subcontractors to carry out various tasks, since their reach doesn't cover Vegas yet.

So there. I won't deny the fact that NV has some over-the-top locations, but so far I've not seen anything that'd reach FO3's level. And like I pointed out in the giant statue example, at least the game characters (mostly) react believably to them.

Oh shit, I said something positive about Turd Vegay, I guess I'm a retarded fanboy now :(

I can add that the scientist who believes is a ghoul makes sense as well, if you chat with him you soon realize that its because he start to lose his hair and obsiously get mad about it.
Anyway a large part of the setting is for the "lulz", a perfect conversion of the pen and paper game, its a post apocalyptic 1950's setting with fake retro technology, robobrains, plasma rifle etc. The robots, the supermutants, the space suit are very close to the comic books pictures of the 50's:

planet70.gif

strangeworld19.gif

tomcorbettspacecadet4.gif

Now why comparing it to gothic 2 ? i ve never seen people comparing fallout 1 -2 to gothic , why start with new vegas ? Gothic 2 was a fantastic game with a completely different setting and completely different gameplay.
1eyeking has not a single valid point.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I pirated this game for the lulz of it. Then I though to myself - "why not try it for a little bit, just for the lulz of it?".

And so I did, but after a while the lulz of it ran off pretty fast, so I uninstalled, and posted on the Dex how shitty it was, just for the lulz of it.

Now why comparing it to gothic 2 ? i ve never seen people comparing fallout 1 -2 to gothic , why start with new vegas ? Gothic 2 was a fantastic game with a completely different setting and completely different gameplay.
1eyeking has not a single valid point.

I cannot really see how you can directly compare it to Fallout 1 and 2 to be honest, apart from...the stats and setting?...Do you compare Hero's of Might and Magic with Might and Magic 6? Or Fallout with Fallout tactics?

NV has been touted here by many as a sandbox, exploration game with some C&C. Gothic could be touted along similar lines, while Fallout 1 and 2 cannot (apart from the C&C).

Perhaps Bloodlines is a better fit to compare it to? BL isn't a sandbox game as such, but it is a FPS RPG, filled with lots of writing and some C&C. It is nearer to F3 and NV surely than the original two Fallout games, at least when it comes to game structure.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Two pages of back and forth about the ghouls launching into space and no one mentions the hubologists? hello?

Honestly, if the examples 1eyedking gave are the worst "for the lulz"to be found in NV, then it's about 2 or 3 times less lulzy than FO2. I am not impressed.

1eyedking

Erudite
I no longer bother anymore. The last time I brought real arguments on the table (actually quoting in-game material, posting picture comparisons, quoting walkthroughs, etc.) all I got was a "NO YOU" response. That day the Codex's reputation died in me; furthermore I think the posts took me about an hour or so to write. So all I do now is just vent my opinion with little reference to why a thing sucks or rocks; in other words: right back at you guys.

But mostly because the stuff I say is self-evident: you say mutants attack brahmin because they are insane, not for the lulz, but why are they insane if not for the lulz? I didn't meet any lulzy-insane mutant in any of the first two Fallout games.

Ghouls going insane is OK, but one thing is them becoming lunatic and the other is them becoming religiously fanatic and wanting to launch themselves into space from a surprisingly working pre-war rocket facility because they believe a glowing ghoul with a mysterious echo in his voice is and a human who mistook his falling hair with radiation (mirrors no longer exist?) is their Messiah. I think my eye twitched just from re-reading what I just wrote.

You say hiring 'Fantastic' is entirely plausible. That it wasn't for the lulz. A serious military faction. Hiring a random guy. Who's obviously a dumbfuck. Because they lack personnel. I mean, I just...why do I fucking even bother? Can't get more apologetic than what has been said already.

Seriously guys: if you're enjoying the game, it's okay, there's nothing wrong in having fun with mindless entertainment every once in a while, but that's a p. far call from calling it actually good. Don't take yourselves too seriously, enjoy it for what it is, just refrain from making inane statements.

Sceptic said:
Two pages of back and forth about the ghouls launching into space and no one mentions the hubologists? hello?
San Francisco was stupid. But the rest of the game was very intelligent and coherent (and yes, I'm counting New Reno in). This doesn't happen in F3:NV where inanity is practically fucking everywhere. See how I mentioned more than one example?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The Codex's reputation seems to die forever for you nearly as often as you smugly deliver your incessant reminders that it has. We didn't care the first time either. You're too long-winded to be as instantly amusing as skyway and not intelligent enough for your longer posts to be worth reading. Work on your game, bro.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
1eyedking said:
I no longer bother anymore. The last time I brought real arguments on the table (actually quoting in-game material, posting picture comparisons, quoting walkthroughs, etc.) all I got was a "NO YOU" response. That day the Codex's reputation died in me; furthermore I think the posts took me about an hour or so to write. So all I do now is just vent my opinion with little reference to why a thing sucks or rocks; in other words: right back at you guys.

But mostly because the stuff I say is self-evident: you say mutants attack brahmin because they are insane, not for the lulz, but why are they insane if not for the lulz? I didn't meet any lulzy-insane mutant in any of the first two Fallout games.

Ghouls going insane is OK, but one thing is them becoming lunatic and the other is them becoming religiously fanatic and wanting to launch themselves into space from a surprisingly working pre-war rocket facility because they believe a glowing ghoul with a mysterious echo in his voice is and a human who mistook his falling hair with radiation (mirrors no longer exist?) is their Messiah. I think my eye twitched just from re-reading what I just wrote.

You say hiring 'Fantastic' is entirely plausible. That it wasn't for the lulz. A serious military faction. Hiring a random guy. Who's obviously a dumbfuck. Because they lack personnel. I mean, I just...why do I fucking even bother? Can't get more apologetic than what has been said already.

Seriously guys: if you're enjoying the game, it's okay, there's nothing wrong in having fun with mindless entertainment every once in a while, but that's a p. far call from calling it actually good. Don't take yourselves too seriously, enjoy it for what it is, just refrain from making inane statements.

Sceptic said:
San Francisco was stupid. But the rest of the game was very intelligent and coherent (and yes, I'm counting New Reno in). This doesn't happen in F3:NV where inanity is practically fucking everywhere. See how I mentioned more than one example?

You'll have to admit that after playing some of the other recent (and last year's) releases, this game can certainly seem like a good one, great even to some.

And for all the things that don't make sense, you can find a great line here, a great NPC there, a great, a new locale with great atmosphere somewhere in addition.
It really makes no sense to defend Mr. Fantastic in my opinion; or the character creation for that matter; or some of the more random design choices.

There are definitely some silly parts, and sometimes they can be jarring.

I am still having a great time with the game and I think it's one of the best releases in the last two years. (That is not a good thing; the industry is screwed)

And I still like it better than FO 2. The less said about that game, the better.

1eyedking

Erudite
Not every single game the Codex plays needs to be a trip to monocle-land :M

Jasede said:
And I still like it better than FO 2. The less said about that game, the better.
It's okay if you like it more. Good choice of words.

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I have never understood what this means. It doesn't mean anything. Work on your game.
I don't like working on games, I like playing them.

made

Arcane
Maybe the "good for what it is" crowd could refute 1EK's point with some counterexamples instead of pathetic ad hominem attacks? Supposedly the game has great writing and quest design. Let's see some. I'm genuinely interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom