Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

madbringer

Arcane
Nah, i'm waiting for at least 30gb of decent mods and fan patches to come out. :salute:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
madbringer said:
Nah, i'm waiting for at least 30gb of decent mods and fan patches to come out. :salute:

It's not FO3 and Oblivion. Play it without mods.

roll-a-die

Magister
Also mad in response to the oldest religion thing in your signature, that would be Hinduism if you mean organized, but Paganism or other forms of worshiping the soil the sun the stars, the animals, etc, if you mean unorganized.

Islam and Christianity are the youngest of the major religions. Judaism is the second oldest, having come into being, around 300 years after the Vedas were written.

Project: Eternity
Yeah, seriously, I don't think this game really needs mods to be enjoyable.

I did the Vault 22 (?) quest yesterday, its about a vault that somehow a bunch of plants are coming out of despite the arid waste it's set in. You find out that something went Horribly Wrong(tm) and you can either help a lost scientist there to dam the infestation or just kill her, and even if you help she wants to destroy the data. With a passed high Science check you can convince her not to destroy the data after all so you can get your reward from the NCR. This place had a System-Shocky feel with messages left on a bunch of terminals and moody atmosphere. Neat!

madbringer

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Also mad in response to the oldest religion thing in your signature, that would be Hinduism if you mean organized, but Paganism or other forms of worshiping the soil the sun the stars, the animals, etc, if you mean unorganized.

Islam and Christianity are the youngest of the major religions. Judaism is the second oldest, having come into being, around 300 years after the Vedas were written.

Why do you think i have this quote in my sig? :smug:

Anyways, i'll give it a try. But i don't think my heart can endure another shitty Fallout game. I don't want to turn into Skyway, bros. :?

gothfox

Liturgist
That location had great visual design and yeah kinda System Shock-ish. I liked how the first level is empty to create suspense before the first shitfucker jumps out at you.

You can also speech-check lie to the scientist if you happened to grab the data earlier.

Project: Eternity
I was also amazed how dangerous the fucking Mantises were. I'm only playing on Normal (though with Hardcore) and when I didn't shoot them dead quick enough at one point I died in like 2 hits after getting rushed.

All the spawns in there were pretty dangerous. The plant zombie things hit hard and I had to take care of my limbs a lot afterwards. And I'd fired off every single of my .357 magnum rounds in there plus more.

I don't know if you can sneak past the "sleeping" ones? I just woke them up and shot them whenever I saw them.

gothfox

Liturgist
I'm playing a sniper/sneak character (silenced Sniper Rifle <3) so I have pretty much cleared everything there without anyone noticing. :)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
gothfox said:
madbringer said:

This game is more than capable of standing on its own without mods.

This. Play through at least once now, then again with all the mods and DLC's/expansions in future if you want.

Speaking of DLC, I hope they will be made by Obsidian with as much quality as the main game, as that would make pretty much the fist DLC of any game worth buying. OTOH if Bethesda decided to just get its lackeys to churn out crap on the cheap, it will be a fucking travesty.

madbringer said:
Anyways, i'll give it a try. But i don't think my heart can endure another shitty Fallout game. I don't want to turn into Skyway, bros. :?

You won't. I almost did after FO3, but NV has partly brought back my faith in humanity.

Just watch out for bugs. Haven't seen many myself but there are a few scripting bugs where if you say something in the wrong order, you'll lose the odd quest vital option.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
commie said:
This. Play through at least once now, then again with all the mods and DLC's/expansions in future if you want.
i'd say the vanilla game is worth playing twice, working opposite sides on each walkthrough, before you ruin everything with mods and just run amok in the strip.
Overweight Manatee said:
unless you are the kind of player that just searches through everyone's house in the first place.
which is pretty much the main target audience for all the good "larping" rpgs like bloodlines/ps:t/fo1+2/arcanum and whathaveyou. still that glowing terminal standing in the back of his room practically crying to be hacked the instant you enter is damn fucking obvious.

Felix

Arcane
Shit, didn't know you can expose Mortimer in 'Beyond the Beef quest'. Also this is how you do cannibal quest, but I doubt Bethesda will take not.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Of course there are various mods that improve the game, most notably UI mods and quest fixes. But other stuff like graphical mods, time scaling and other stuff depending on taste can also improve the experience without changing anything important of the vanilla game.

"Dudes, should I play with some mods?"
"Hell no! Game is great as it is. You wouldn't want to spoil your experience by missing those bugs, bro!"

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Shannow said:
"Dudes, should I play with some mods?"
"Hell no! Game is great as it is. You wouldn't want to spoil your experience by missing those bugs, bro!"
experiencing the bugs is the only way for true connoisseurs to savor an obsidian game.

nothing quite says "obsidian seal of quality" like a memleak that causes horrible stuttering after a few hours and eventually prevents your gui from loading every other time, or jumping to max level because you can infinitely pick a speech check response that grants xp.

1eyedking

Erudite
Clockwork Knight said:
Busy playing NV, I imagine.
He probably got sick of this place. It happens when you read an enormous amount of dumbfuck material in a short span of time.

I wonder...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Goddamn, the first trip to the Nellis Air Base was hellish. This time "dude, it's dangerous as fuck over that hill" was more than true.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
1eyedking said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Busy playing NV, I imagine.
He probably got sick of this place. It happens when you read an enormous amount of dumbfuck material in a short span of time.

I wonder...

So can you go away for some time, so skyway can post? :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom