Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

1eyedking

Erudite
Just found Marcus.

Asked him about the 'tribal' he used to travel with. Was expecting something like Fallout 2's Harold's (and his assistant's) tale about the Vault Dweller (and Harold wasn't even a traveler). Instead, he gets a very small mention. No humor.

MEH.

It's cheap stuff like that that keeps F3:NV down.

Project: Eternity
powerarmorbed.jpg

MY BED :x

Ah yes, "Radiant" AI. :roll:

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:
I just did the Rocket facility Ghoul quest and am currently uninstalling this piece of shit.
1eyedking said:
Fuck it, I'm hooked.
It gets the 1eyedking Bronze Seal of Approval™.
Multi-headed Cow said:
Don't you normally go
y21.png
when people change their minds on games, 1eyedking?
1eyedking said:
I never changed my mind upon F3:NV. I never said it was shit.
:mca:

Eyeball

Arcane
You don't even need to actually shoot anyone to clear out Cottonwood Cove - just walk up to the reddish truck hanging over the ledge of that cliff overlooking Cottonwood, just next to that small campground. You there get the option to dump it's cargo of radioactive waste over Cottonwood, killing everybody down there while you giggle maniacally.

Flawless (and dickish) victory, and fitting payback for what the Legion did to Searchlight, as Sargeant Astor will remark when you talk to him about it.

I was disappointed by Marcus as well - he was one of my favourite characters in FO2, but they just didn't make him do or say anything remotely interesting in New Vegas, and his entire town just seemed half-finished and dull. I made the long-ass and boring trip to J-town just so I could recruit Marcus, only finding out that he wasn't fucking hireable! Lily is a horrible character and a pathetic replacement for the awesome minigun-wielding menace that was Marcus in FO2.

Even his voice actor is phoning it in something awful - at least Harold still had good voice acting, despite the other horrible things Bethesda did with the character.

1eyedking

Erudite
Silellak said:
1eyedking said:
I just did the Rocket facility Ghoul quest and am currently uninstalling this piece of shit.
1eyedking said:
Fuck it, I'm hooked.
It gets the 1eyedking Bronze Seal of Approval™.
Multi-headed Cow said:
Don't you normally go
y21.png
when people change their minds on games, 1eyedking?
1eyedking said:
I never changed my mind upon F3:NV. I never said it was shit.
:mca:
:lol:
I was angry as fuck at that stupid quest (which I thought was a premise of dumber things to come), but yes, minor flip-flop.

You can't really blame me. I'M UNTOUCHABLE.

1eyedking

Erudite
Yes, it's the same guy, but the guy doing the voice acting direction at Obsidian needs to be fired ASAP. I swear I heard Tandi's voice actor as the OSI's director assistant and the lines she delivered were just soulless.

Veronica, on the other hand, has some p. decent voice acting. She's also the most interesting NPC by far.

Raul the Ghoul so far has been the worst.

bonescraper

Oh, come on, there's some nice voice acting. Veronica, Yes Man, Vick, Benny, Cass, Boone, Arcade, The King... But yeah, Danny Trejo disappoints and Marcus sounds bored. As a whole, it's pretty mediocre.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
About Marcus... better to do little than to overdo it like... the TreeGod.

Silellak

Cipher
I was angry as fuck at that stupid quest (which I thought was a premise of dumber things to come)
Understandable. It actually didn't bother me as much when I first encountered it, as it does now that I'm further in the game...it's just so ridiculously out of place in a game that, for the most part, has a very consistent atmosphere. It's a shame that it's right along the main quest line, rather than some random sidequest you could entirely miss.

1eyedking said:
Veronica, on the other hand, has some p. decent voice acting. She's also the most interesting NPC by far.
Agreed. I :love: Veronica, and not just because she's voiced by Felicia Day. Her personal sidequest is pretty solid, especially the ending (at least the one I got).

Felix

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Bumper Sword...Buster Sword...

They look quite different, unless you're blind or lack one eye, or dumb, of course. :M

And you realize people's problem with Buster Sword is how they handled it in-game, not the sword itself, right?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I know you can do that if you 1) hack Vargas' computer (no karma hit IIRC) and 2) if you have Confirmed Homosexual. Probably other ways too.

I guess what people are saying is that the "default" path is doing the Ghoul quest.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
1eyedking said:
No humor.
MEH.
This is the key to understanding 1ek, his love for FO2 and his hatred of NV.

minor flip-flop.
Minor?

MINOR?

YOU SPENT PAGE AFTER FUCKING PAGE GOING ON AND ON AND ON ABOUT THIS.

And then you have the gall to say "minor"?

Fuck man, I had more respect for you when you went out of your way to try and prove that FO2 humor was intelligent.

roll-a-die

Magister
Silellak said:
I was angry as fuck at that stupid quest (which I thought was a premise of dumber things to come)
Understandable. It actually didn't bother me as much when I first encountered it, as it does now that I'm further in the game...it's just so ridiculously out of place in a game that, for the most part, has a very consistent atmosphere. It's a shame that it's right along the main quest line, rather than some random sidequest you could entirely miss.
Nudge Nudge
Vault 11
is a good example of something that bethesda would have royally screwed. It fits bethesda's retarded motif, but is done so much better than anything Beth has done since Morrowind.

MAJOR SPOILERS UNDER THE NEXT TAG.

People sent to a vault, the overseer is told that for the vault to survive that someone has to be sacrificed, otherwise the entire vault shuts down and everyone dies, because the mainframe is insane. This inflames the populous, and the overseer position from that point on becomes a yearly position, after a year a new one is elected and the old one is sent on a long walk, through a tunnel. To a point where they watch a banal video and are then assaulted by 4 sentry bots and a protectron. The hitch is, while they eventually wittle themselves from 500 to 5, the point of the vault was to see the levels to which humans can go, and is designed to do nothing if they reject to do a sacrifice, and infact congratulate them for their humanity. So those last five send the message to the vault that they are done, and through with the whole endeavor, and will take what ever punishment the vault sends them. Que congratulatory message, thanking them for having humanity. You find 4 of their bodies just inside of the vault near to the door, they killed themselves, after electing someone to tell the tale, and be the survivor, at least that's what I got from it.

Yeah this beats the fucking pants off bethesda's,
Pete Hines said:
LET'S FLOOD THE VAULT FULL OF ARTISTS WITH HALLUCINOGENS, WHY, I DON'T KNOW, BUT IT'S FUCKING AWESOME. HIGH FIVE!

Ruprekt

Scholar
Seriously if you knew the tears of frustration modders have shed with Bethesdas toolkit trying to implement things like faction recognition and any kind of real C&C you'd be surprised how well NV has turned out. I wasn't expecting them to have been this ambitious.

Zomg

Arbiter
Anyone got any opinions about the voice acting in Alpha Protocol vs. NV? They got Margaret Tang (of VtMB) to direct for AP and not getting her for Vegas tells me Bethesda wanted to do it in house with their shit directors and publicity-based VAs, but hmm??

1eyedking

Erudite
Sceptic said:
Good humor ≠ Bad humor

Minor?

MINOR?

Fuck man, I had more respect for you when you went out of your way to try and prove that FO2 humor was intelligent.
I spent page after page saying how shitty the interface is, how fucking stupid is that ghoul quest, how bad the art direction department of Obsidian is, and how the writing is not at par with The Witcher's. I do take back what I said about the game being just like Fallout 3, because it isn't. I also take back what I said about it having no intelligence, because it does have, and quite a lot. The gameworld makes an awful lot of sense and I was too quick to judge it entirely by the Legion encounter at Nipton and the Ghoul thing.

So yes, minor flip-flop; I cussed the game, and I don't take it back: that quest was incredibly dumb.

Felix

Arcane
Zomg said:
Anyone got any opinions about the voice acting in Alpha Protocol vs. NV? They got Margaret Tang (of VtMB) to direct for AP and not getting her for Vegas tells me Bethesda wanted to do it in house with their shit directors and publicity-based VAs, but hmm??

The voice acting in NV is decent enough(at least they have more voices actors this time instead of just 3-4 like Oblivion or Fallout 3) but AP's voice acting is a bit better.

roll-a-die

Magister
1eyedking said:
Sceptic said:
Good humor ≠ Bad humor

Minor?

MINOR?

I spent page after page saying how shitty the interface is, how fucking stupid is that ghoul quest, how bad the art direction department of Obsidian is, and how the writing is not at par with The Witcher's. I do take back what I said about the game being just like Fallout 3, because it isn't. I also take back what I said about it having no intelligence, because it does have, and quite a lot. The gameworld makes an awful lot of sense and I was too quick to judge it entirely by the Legion encounter at Nipton and the Ghoul thing.

So yes, minor flip-flop; I cussed the game, and I don't take it back: that quest was incredibly dumb.
Cussed the game, you are showing your foreignness my friend. I think you are thinking, insulted, cussed is not a valid verb, unless followed by out. It's also a more valid word as a synonym for the adjectives awkward or annoying.Saying you annoying the game still does work though.

Also, I agree with you, that encounter was shit.

The Nipton one was better, if it's the one I'm thinking of, raided village, lots of crosses, Legion Cursor greets you and tells you to spread the word. The lottery form of execution is a masterful form of terroristic acts. It's purpose is not just to kill people, but to make them fear god, the best thing you can do is rig it, so a wife survives, but her children and husbands don't. It also insures that a few people remain alive long enough to spread the word about the acts that took place. It's happened in real life, and is a wonderfully Vegas thing to do. Also as it is, it doesn't violate the Legions modus operandi of do bad things to worse people. Given that the village was implied to be a hell hole of Soddom like proportions.

ironyuri

roll-a-die said:
1eyedking said:
Sceptic said:
Good humor ≠ Bad humor

Minor?

MINOR?

Cussed the game, you are showing your foreignness my friend. I think you are thinking, insulted, cussed is not a valid verb, unless followed by out. It's also a more valid word as a synonym for the adjectives awkward or annoying.Saying you annoying the game still does work though.

What the fuck, roll-a-die? Cussed is a colloquial form of cursed, from the verb curse.

–verb (used with object)
to wish or invoke evil, calamity, injury, or destruction upon.
to swear at.
to blaspheme.
to afflict with great evil.
to excommunicate.

Fucking foreigners. :rage:

1eyedking can cuss a game if he wants, or he can cuss a game out. He can curse a game. He can damn a game. He can damn a game to hell. He can curse its name. etc etc.

Fucking LRN2ENGRISH

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom