Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

roll-a-die

Magister
ironyuri said:
roll-a-die said:
1eyedking said:
Sceptic said:
This is the key to understanding 1ek, his love for FO2 and his hatred of NV.
Good humor ≠ Bad humor

Minor?

MINOR?

YOU SPENT PAGE AFTER FUCKING PAGE GOING ON AND ON AND ON ABOUT THIS.

And then you have the gall to say "minor"?

Fuck man, I had more respect for you when you went out of your way to try and prove that FO2 humor was intelligent.
I spent page after page saying how shitty the interface is, how fucking stupid is that ghoul quest, how bad the art direction department of Obsidian is, and how the writing is not at par with The Witcher's. I do take back what I said about the game being just like Fallout 3, because it isn't. I also take back what I said about it having no intelligence, because it does have, and quite a lot. The gameworld makes an awful lot of sense and I was too quick to judge it entirely by the Legion encounter at Nipton and the Ghoul thing.

So yes, minor flip-flop; I cussed the game, and I don't take it back: that quest was incredibly dumb.
Cussed the game, you are showing your foreignness my friend. I think you are thinking, insulted, cussed is not a valid verb, unless followed by out. It's also a more valid word as a synonym for the adjectives awkward or annoying.Saying you annoying the game still does work though.

What the fuck, roll-a-die? Cussed is a colloquial form of cursed, from the verb curse.

–verb (used with object)
to wish or invoke evil, calamity, injury, or destruction upon.
to swear at.
to blaspheme.
to afflict with great evil.
to excommunicate.

Fucking foreigners. :rage:

1eyedking can cuss a game if he wants, or he can cuss a game out. He can curse a game. He can damn a game. He can damn a game to hell. He can curse its name. etc etc.

Fucking LRN2ENGRISH
Actually wrong, Cussed may have been that in archaic times, but Cursed and Cussed are now only related in the sense that they both refer to using an expletive, IE, I curse you out or I cuss you out. And even then cussed is only used in an adjective sense.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cuss
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cuss
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cussed
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cussed

In using cussed you have to specify a target, along with adding the modifier out before or after the target which it is used upon.

Cursing a game works, because curse has all kinds of other meanings beyond using oath words to form insults, cussing a game only works in the sense that cussing a game would be using it as a oath word. So cussed a game means he uses the game as an explitive, which I doubt he actually did, otherwise he'd be referring to other things as having gone "New Vegas"

EDIT FURTHER, the relationship between them in the linguistic sense is from the time when using an expletive meant that you were swearing an oath, IE, I curse you, heathen bitch, to rot for all eternity within the deepest pits of Ba'a'el.

ironyuri

roll-a-die said:
ironyuri said:
roll-a-die said:
1eyedking said:
Sceptic said:
Good humor ≠ Bad humor

Minor?

MINOR?

Fuck man, I had more respect for you when you went out of your way to try and prove that FO2 humor was intelligent.
I spent page after page saying how shitty the interface is, how fucking stupid is that ghoul quest, how bad the art direction department of Obsidian is, and how the writing is not at par with The Witcher's. I do take back what I said about the game being just like Fallout 3, because it isn't. I also take back what I said about it having no intelligence, because it does have, and quite a lot. The gameworld makes an awful lot of sense and I was too quick to judge it entirely by the Legion encounter at Nipton and the Ghoul thing.

So yes, minor flip-flop; I cussed the game, and I don't take it back: that quest was incredibly dumb.
Cussed the game, you are showing your foreignness my friend. I think you are thinking, insulted, cussed is not a valid verb, unless followed by out. It's also a more valid word as a synonym for the adjectives awkward or annoying.Saying you annoying the game still does work though.

What the fuck, roll-a-die? Cussed is a colloquial form of cursed, from the verb curse.

–verb (used with object)
to swear at.
to blaspheme.
to excommunicate.

1eyedking can cuss a game if he wants, or he can cuss a game out. He can curse a game. He can damn a game. He can damn a game to hell. He can curse its name. etc etc.

Fucking LRN2ENGRISH
Actually wrong, Cussed may have been that in archaic times, but Cursed and Cussed are now only related in the sense that they both refer to using an expletive, IE, I curse you out or I cuss you out. And even then cussed is only used in an adjective sense.

In using cussed you have to specify a target, along with adding the modifier out before or after the target which it is used upon.

Cursing a game works, because curse has all kinds of other meanings beyond using oath words to form insults, cussing a game only works in the sense that cussing a game would be using it as a oath word. So cussed a game means he uses the game as an explitive, which I doubt he actually did, otherwise he'd be referring to other things as having gone "New Vegas"

EDIT FURTHER, the relationship between them in the linguistic sense is from the time when using an expletive meant that you were swearing an oath, IE, I curse you, heathen bitch, to rot for all eternity within the deepest pits of Ba'a'el.

From your own links-

–verb (used with object)
to swear at; curse: He cussed the pedestrian for getting in his way.

1eyedking cussed the game for being a steaming pile of shit.

Edit- I'm bored and I'd like to see this thread hit 50 pages. So that's why I'm arguing.

roll-a-die

Magister
ironyuri said:
roll-a-die said:
ironyuri said:
roll-a-die said:
1eyedking said:
Sceptic said:
Good humor ≠ Bad humor

Minor?

MINOR?

–verb (used with object)
to swear at.
to blaspheme.
to excommunicate.

Fucking LRN2ENGRISH

From your own links-

–verb (used with object)

Edit- I'm bored and I'd like to see this thread hit 50 pages. So that's why I'm arguing.
There's the honest truth.

But truly, using it in that sense is in essence saying something like, "I would not like to know what I would like to know. However it would be the bee's knee's to know what I wouldn't truly like to know" In a gramatical sense it's fine, in a slang sense he fucked it up.

"Cussing something," doesn't work, it's almost always followed by out, or cussed out something. It smacks of oddity to my lips, and though it may be correct. Granted, with slang it could just be a regional issue. Which is why I linked Urban Dictionary. But in fact they screwed it up to, so it's probably just a regional thing for me.

Still using Cussed at all is a rarity, you'll be more likely to have someone use the terms cussed was a colloquial replacement to, or words designed to replace it, rather than it, for example, I ripped the game a new asshole, and that I don't take back. I insulted the game, and I don't take it back. Both of those flow better from the tongue than, "I cussed the game, and i don't take it back" Cussed is really an awkward word.

ironyuri

roll-a-die said:
ironyuri said:
roll-a-die said:
ironyuri said:
roll-a-die said:
1eyedking said:
Sceptic said:
Good humor ≠ Bad humor

Minor?

MINOR?

–verb (used with object)
to swear at.
to blaspheme.
to excommunicate.

Fucking LRN2ENGRISH

From your own links-

–verb (used with object)

But truly, using it in that sense is in essence saying something like, "I would not like to know what I would like to know. However it would be the bee's knee's to know what I wouldn't truly like to know" In a gramatical sense it's fine, in a slang sense he fucked it up.

"Cussing something," doesn't work, it's almost always followed by out, or cussed out something. It smacks of oddity to my lips, and though it may be correct. Granted, with slang it could just be a regional issue. Which is why I linked Urban Dictionary. But in fact they screwed it up to, so it's probably just a regional thing for me.

Still using Cussed at all is a rarity, you'll be more likely to have someone use the terms cussed was a colloquial replacement to, or words designed to replace it, rather than it, for example, I ripped the game a new asshole, and that I don't take back. I insulted the game, and I don't take it back. Both of those flow better from the tongue than, "I cussed the game, and i don't take it back" Cussed is really an awkward word.

I'm cussing you right now, roll-a-die. Feels good. :smug:

Anwyay, 1eyedking is a degenerate latino-european Argentine. What could he possibly know of the intricacies of our glorious language?

roll-a-die

Magister
ironyuri said:
roll-a-die said:
ironyuri said:
roll-a-die said:
ironyuri said:
roll-a-die said:
1eyedking said:
Sceptic said:
Good humor ≠ Bad humor

Minor?

MINOR?

–verb (used with object)
to swear at.
to blaspheme.
to excommunicate.

Fucking LRN2ENGRISH

From your own links-

–verb (used with object)

I'm cussing you right now, roll-a-die. Feels good. :smug:

Anwyay, 1eyedking is a degenerate latino-european Argentine. What could he possibly know of the intricacies of our glorious language?
Our language is neither glorious nor besmirched, it simply is, it's a mediocre language that pales in comparison to the glory that is the might of the father tongue.

/HARHAR EYE CON DUE NAHSI TWO.

made

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
The Nipton one was better, if it's the one I'm thinking of, raided village, lots of crosses, Legion Cursor greets you and tells you to spread the word. The lottery form of execution is a masterful form of terroristic acts. It's purpose is not just to kill people, but to make them fear god, the best thing you can do is rig it, so a wife survives, but her children and husbands don't. It also insures that a few people remain alive long enough to spread the word about the acts that took place. It's happened in real life, and is a wonderfully Vegas thing to do. Also as it is, it doesn't violate the Legions modus operandi of do bad things to worse people. Given that the village was implied to be a hell hole of Soddom like proportions.
The Nipton encounter gets a lot of coverage, much like DA's "demon and the child C&C", which doesn't surprise me because it seems to be one of the few "wow" moments in the whole game. It was also one of the few instances where the PC has something worthwhile to say - I liked the "I admire the Legion's cold justice" line.

The only other memorable encounter in a vast sea of blandness so far has been the old ranger who shoots himself when you figure out his scheme. The preceding quest was a tedious runabout but the conclusion a rare example of OE's brilliance in its field. Not only has the old man a distinct voice which alone sets him apart from 99% of the population, but the way the whole thing played out made me pause for a moment and ponder wtf just happened. It's really well done.

Vault 11 on the other hand didn't do it for me. It becomes obvious way too quickly what the deal is down there, the scattered texts don't convey the feeling of dread at all - maybe more audio logs would have worked better instead. It all felt too lulzy and light hearted, with the exception of the wife who whored herself out to save her husband. The final resolution with a bunch of generic robots attacking was just lame, I expected something truly menacing at that point. Not to mention my fps dropped to 0 as soon as the walls went down.

So what else is worth visiting in NV? Are there other "wow moments" you found, or is that it?

1eyedking

Erudite
No. There are no 'wow moments', except for the sheer size of the Mojave and all of its fucking interiors.

As I said, it's worth a glance, but with the art direction the game's got you're better off playing some other thing if you're looking for something better than "good, almost average".

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
1eyedking said:
No. There are no 'wow moments', except for the sheer size of the Mojave and all of its fucking interiors.

As I said, it's worth a glance, but with the art direction the game's got you're better off playing some other thing if you're looking for something better than "good, almost average".

Ya know, your trolling is getting so fucking bad it's beginning to have the opposite effect of what's intended. I.e.... This game must be great for 1eyed to give it this much attention.

Or is that actually what's intended? Fuck, now I'm confused :dizzy:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Over 60 hours now, level 28, killed all Powder Gangers and Legion and lost their quests and there is STILL a ton of shit to do. I haven't even found the mythical Vault 11 yet, let alone explored it. Is that part of the end-game? Right now I am thinking of just doing Black Mountain and then the end-game, saving the rest for future playthroughs, but I want to make sure I do this supposedly awesome Vault 11 this run.

roll-a-die

Magister
DalekFlay said:
Over 60 hours now, level 28, killed all Powder Gangers and Legion and lost their quests and there is STILL a ton of shit to do. I haven't even found the mythical Vault 11 yet, let alone explored it. Is that part of the end-game? Right now I am thinking of just doing Black Mountain and then the end-game, saving the rest for future playthroughs, but I want to make sure I do this supposedly awesome Vault 11 this run.
You'll likely stumble into it if you're doing the house/yes man quest lines, but otherwise no it's not.

Also yes, save the rest for future playthrough's.

bonescraper

1eyedking said:
art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction art direction
Jesus fuck. What about it? The engine is old, and the game looks like shit. But Obsidian fixed the Super Mutants, reintroduced some of the classical weapons, armors and enemies, and made the world look a lot more believable. Hell, they even added little details like a crow flying away from your grave when you visit the Goodsprings Cementery for the first time. Ceasar's Legion looks distinctive enough, so does the NCR. The strip looks nice, especially at night, with all its neon lights lighting the area. The architecture is spot on, and every casino has its own distinctive look and feel. Super Mutants and Geckos move exactly like they did in FO2. Finally, the Mojave desert looks pretty much like this:

VaultDweller.jpg

fallout_death_comp.jpg

It's a post-apocalyptic world on a dated engine. It's not supposed to look pretty, but it looks believable, and that's what matters most. What did you expect? Lush forests and golden rye fields?

Felix

Arcane
This game should have the option to open the Lucky 38 for business and manage it after you kill Mr.House. :M

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
roll-a-die said:
You'll likely stumble into it if you're doing the house/yes man quest lines, but otherwise no it's not.

Also yes, save the rest for future playthrough's.

I found it almost immediately when I booted back up, as finishing the Brotherhood quest to find their patrols on Black Mountain has them eventually ask you for some Vault equipment, and one of them is Vault 11.

I guess I want to do the Brotherhood stuff this playthrough as well... arg!

Relay

Educated
Nipton was the best part of the game.. too bad it's the only part that stands out so much. I had thought for a moment that the Caesar's Legion were more of a shade of grey, rather than full eviltard.
I mean, Nipton really deserved their fate, other people not so much. I agreed with Vulpes Inculta at the time but what a fucking disappointment the Legion turned out to be when I got further in the game.

New Vegas is more like FO2 than FO1, that's for sure. The Master beats both the Legion and the Enclave.

Still, the crucifixions and burning of a town who were selling themselves to anyone who'd bring the money in that was great and well deserved. Degenerates like you belong on a cross !

Eyeball

Arcane
I've changed my mind about the Legion - I initially thought they were fucking retarded, running around the wasteland dressed like Romans and saying "ave."

However, I thought Caesar explains the gayassness of his Legion pretty well: While the Legion was initially just another militant tribe in the wasteland, he started annexing other tribes, over time adopting the entire Roman thing because:

A) the history associated with the Roman empire lending to the Legion a strong warrior code as well as a lot of brutal rituals associated with the code required to maintain discipline - at one point, somebody tells you how Caesar had a disappointing platoon "decimated", meaning he killed 1/10 of the troops picked at random.

B) The need to break down inter-tribal distinctions making it necessary to adopt a completely FOREIGN warrior creed to forge a new nation around so as not to favour any specific tribe in the empire.

Caesar doesn't believe himself to be such a bad guy - he seems himself as bringing order and strength to the wasteland and death to those too weak to live, and that's the goal of the Legion - apart from the obvious psychotic megalomania of Caesar himself.

Basically, Caesar sold me on the idea of the Legion. He is fully aware that running around claiming to be Emperor Biggus Dickus is silly, but his results clearly back up his historical nerdery and LARPing.

What was so good about The Master anyway? The final confrontation with him was one of the biggest letdowns in video game history.

"Muahaha, my supermutants will overrun the world!"
"Uh....you DO know that they're sterile, yes?"
"Oh noes, imma kill myself, waaaah!"

roll-a-die

Magister
Eyeball said:
I've changed my mind about the Legion - I initially thought they were fucking retarded, running around the wasteland dressed like Romans and saying "ave."

However, I thought Caesar explains the gayassness of his Legion pretty well: While the Legion was initially just another militant tribe in the wasteland, he started annexing other tribes, over time adopting the entire Roman thing because:

A) the history associated with the Roman empire lending to the Legion a strong warrior code as well as a lot of brutal rituals associated with the code required to maintain discipline - at one point, somebody tells you how Caesar had a disappointing platoon "decimated", meaning he killed 1/10 of the troops picked at random.

B) The need to break down inter-tribal distinctions making it necessary to adopt a completely FOREIGN warrior creed to forge a new nation around so as not to favour any specific tribe in the empire.

Caesar doesn't believe himself to be such a bad guy - he seems himself as bringing order and strength to the wasteland and death to those too weak to live, and that's the goal of the Legion - apart from the obvious psychotic megalomania of Caesar himself.

Basically, Caesar sold me on the idea of the Legion. He is fully aware that running around claiming to be Emperor Biggus Dickus is silly, but his results clearly back up his historical nerdery and LARPing.

What was so good about The Master anyway? The final confrontation with him was one of the biggest letdowns in video game history.

"Muahaha, my supermutants will overrun the world!"
"Uh....you DO know that they're sterile, yes?"
"Oh noes, imma kill myself, waaaah!"
Very true, the master was a let down.

Compared to Legate Lanius he's a chump. Your people are sterile, so what you seem to be immortal, that's what matters, take the humies as slaves, force them to do the work, and when your troops start going crazy, dip a lot of slaves.

Legate Lanius' encounter, Your people are dying, you could take the west, but it would mean losing your homeland, and taking massive losses. What's the most strategic choice? Fallback, rally your troops for around 20 years, then take an advance out on ass kicking because NCR would likely have been doing the same. New Vegas/Mohave United, will probably be doing the same thing as well. Mohave gets crushed in the flanks, NV and hoover stays around because of the massive amounts of REGENERATING MISSILE AND GRENADE SPEWING robots guarding them. Eventually as the bodies begin piling up, House reveals his true end game, Robco Prime and another 500 securitrons, which he then uses to crush most of the legion, before facing off with a NCR vertibird squadron. After the battle is over, you meet with the varying sides, and basically give a massive ultimatum, get off my/our lawn or I get on yours. The two eventually come to a lasting peace, with a region in between acting as a wall, and tourist trap. Eventually the Legion falls into a republic state, having conquered most of the idiots in the east coast, meanwhile, in canada another sleeping army awakens, and begins to head towards New Vegas, "Rook to E9" Yes man mutters, during one of his frequent modifications to himself. "Checkmate" Canada is now under the rule of Yes Man and the Couriors Iron Grip with a million strong army behind, then, along the outskirts of the Hub, peace is broken in... Fallout Tactics, Robco Package Service. Buy it from, Bethesda Productions, development house, Obsidian Studios, in 2019. Fuck me brain hurt now.

Thinking more on what's above that though.

In the Mohave Check Point if you CB Corp. Knight, he mentions that the Legion is FAR more open about Homosex than most of the NCR, which got meh thinkin. Is that another way to dehumanize and detribalize them? Are those kids doing drills not because they like it and want to be Legion troopers, but because they are really in terror of the Drillmaster's Meat Stick+4? Or because the Drillmaster has them stockholmed having "Rescued" them from the rapists? Do they do that to all children? Do they do that to adults? I mean all of these are likely, but are never really elaborated on, for ratings sake I imagine.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Helios One quest is slightly (non-game-breakingly) bugged. I
set the output to Fremont & Westside, then changed it to the whole region, and then decided to arm Archimedes (just for kix). After I used the switch from the viewing platform it turned out the game ignored all my choices past the first one, so the energy went to Fremont and Westside and the NCR Troopers are still alive. Ah well.

Eyeball

Arcane
The Romans did allegedly have a habit of buttsecksing their conquered enemies, but I'm not sure whether this was in order to humiliate them or just because, well, the Romans really, really liked buttsecks. They kinda picked up that habit from the Greeks, along with the entire Democracy thing, but they were always far better at buttsecks than true Democracy.

As for the Master: Why couldn't the LT have been the final boss of FO1? He was voiced by Tony Motherfucking Jay, the greatest villain voice actor in history along with Earl Boen.

hiver

Additionally, if you talk to chief Hanlon in camp Golf (hes chilling on the balcony) he`ll tell you a bit more about the legion and Cesar himself.
He also mentions how legion forces random breeding to break the family ties too.

btw, did it escape everyone's attention that Cesar is doing the same thing Master tried to do?

roll-a-die

Magister
Me brian hurt muchy, but I edit post up there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom