Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am sorry, I can't agree that it was combat-centric, though I am sure we won't ever reach a consensus either way.

That said, I already stated that I personally enjoyed the BG 2 combat - in fact it was one of my favorite games for a long time.

I don't think I compared it to Bethesda-combat; I merely implied that just like in NV, it wasn't that great of a combat system ("sucks"). Sucks doesn't mean they all equally sucked, after all. And one man's suck is another man's blow.

Addendum: I never meant to insult any game's combat, I was speaking in relative terms. I may have used the word "suck" a bit too easily, so I apologize if I hurt you in any way. I did not wish to cause a stir, so please forgive me for my poor choice of words.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Last time I have checked, Fallout was a faithful recreation of GURPS on computer, including game mechanics and turn based miniature combat on a hexagonal map as in GURPS advanced combat rules and the first of planned GURPS games to be made on that engine, not just "dialogues, quests and setting".
The GURPS got ditched because of some stupid disagreements and the games in other settings never got made, but the presentation of action has remained. It still has good old tabletop-style turn-based combat, even the hexes are still there. And that's the Fallout that I love and consider good for what it is :love: .

Now suddenly the tabletop doesn't count and a FPS RPG is a worthy "successor" despite belonging to a different sub-genre :decline: .
If Fallout was only known for its adaptation of GURPS it would have been quickly forgotten like a shitstain on the gaming industry.

What is noteworthy, and what is remembered about the game, is the open-world, support for multiple playstyles, C&C, and non-linear nature. If you can't admit this you are a moron.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Dicksmoker said:
What is noteworthy, and what is remembered about the game, is the open-world, support for multiple playstyles, C&C, and non-linear nature.
Which is the part of faithfully recreating the tabletop roleplaying experience on computer, isn't it?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I just didn't read 9 pages of drivel by people who admit that they have not played the game and have no intention to do so, did I?

And then having the very same people complain about the level of the critical thinking on Codex.

:lol:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Dicksmoker said:
What is noteworthy, and what is remembered about the game, is the open-world, support for multiple playstyles, C&C, and non-linear nature.
Which totally, like is absent in PnP RPGs?
And your point?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Awor Szurkrarz said:
That it's included in the faithful recreation of GURPS on computer, you dumbfuck.
And you said an FPS doesn't count which goes against what I said about those other things being important.

Who's the dumbfuck now, bitch?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Game keeps reinforcing the 'fallout' vibe I got in the first town. While the engine is still clunky, the graphics merely decent, the animation nothing to write home about and it is indeed very much in need of a patch the actual gameplay and rpg elements are very enjoyable.

I especially like how instead of the cheese that was fallout 3 this one has a gameworld which makes sense, quests that aren't cookie cutter, npc's and dialogue which range from decent to good. If this keeps up we might have gotten that worthwhile fallout sequell noone believed in anymore.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Last time I have checked, Fallout was a faithful recreation of GURPS on computer

Nigga what?!

That might have been the initial idea, but the finished product looks nothing like GURPS. The whole point of GURPS is having a tight system (read: same number-systems and functions throughout the whole system) and maximized realism or averageness (read: dice rolls with an average spread).

Using seven, arbitrarily chosen (this makes sense in our heads hurr durr) one-to-ten stats that doest influence the skills, which, by the way, are percentile dice-rolls (the exact opposite of average spread (3d6) dice-rolls) is not really a "faithful recreation of GURPS." In essence, it is what Steve Jackson would call "not really a system", since the seven main stats have little or nothing to do with the skills, which have nothing to do with the traits, which have nothing to do with the perks, which have nothing to do with the stats.

It is far, far from a "faithful re-creation of GURPS". It is not Generic, it is not Universal, and it is not a "system" in the definition of GURPS.

racofer

Thread Incliner
  • Fallout: NV is melting GPUs due to Engine Issues.

Fallout 3 : New Vegas has been one of the most anticipated games in the last year and now that it’s here and upon us something was bound to happen. Has Fallout 3: New Vegas melted your machine yet? Obsidian has officially admitted that it’s a known issue and that a fix is "a work in progress".

Fallout 3: New Vegas VATS screens aren’t framerate-limited, which means that when you're carefully planning your tactics, your graphics hardware renders the shit out of those screens, causing some bad overheating problems. Bethesda Softworks PR Manager Pete Hines mentioned the issue was on Obsidian's end and Bethesda, although being the engine developer, had nothing to do with these issues and is redirecting any customer complaints to Obsidian's support forum and localized phone numbers:
    Code:
    REGION      

WEB SITE     PHONE NUMBER
    USA and Canada     n/a     Web Site     n/a
    United Kingdom     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 0161 827 8060/1*
    France     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 0825 15 80 80*
    Germany     n/a     Web Site     Phone: 0190 771 882*
    Spain     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 34 91 747 03 15*
    Italy     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 02/937671*
    Australia     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 1 902 26 26 26*
    New Zealand     n/a     Web Site     Phone: 0 900 54263*

This keeps getting better and better! :salute:

If GPU's are overheating just because they are being run at 100% utilization its a fucking manufacturer problem. Why everyone continues to whine to developers I don't know.

Overweight Manatee said:
If GPU's are overheating just because they are being run at 100% utilization its a fucking manufacturer problem. Why everyone continues to whine to developers I don't know.

Could you elaborate some more? I just want to learn some more about this sort of problem.

racofer said:
Bethesda Softworks PR Manager Pete Hines mentioned the issue was on Obsidian's end and Bethesda, although being the engine developer, had nothing to do with these issues and is redirecting any customer complaints to Obsidian's support forum and localized phone numbers:
Code:
REGION      

[/quote]

Ah, and whatever accolades they accumulate will be expected to get shared with Bethesda.  Slick setup, you cocksuckers.

Anyway, I've yet to have any problems.  This game runs smoother than Fallout 3 for me.  Also, I don't use VATS, so I don't care.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Stabwound said:
Heh, Starcraft 2 had the exact same problem with menu screens.
Probably fake, since the phrase "renders the shit out of those screens" was also used describing the SC2 bug.

And of course, Racofer's link.

Kraszu

Prophet
Overweight Manatee said:

There are two problems that are not exclusive:

1)Menu should not stress hardware, how is that a hard complaint to understand? Software should not take resourcess that aren't needed for it pusrpouse (of showing menu or static screen in VATS).

2)Cards should not overheat at full use.

haptsonir said:
Dear Lord what a thread. :lol:

AoW1_Heroes_80x100_Dwarf_Berserker.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom