Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Topher

Cipher
Zomg said:
Probably just put it in the same directory as the .exe?

What a grimy hack fix, heh.

Yeah, I sorted that out. Putting the file in my main New Vegas directory worked. I've only done a quick test but my framerate seems to be smooth now. Apparently the lag is being caused specifically by Nvidia cards and I have a GTS 360m.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
God....this stupid save system. I get through a bunch of the game, then my game crashes, and oops I was using quicksaves instead of saving manually. Too bad I have to do it all over again. This is the worst part of this game.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
FUCK this game. It is probably a pretty decent game, except it's buggy as shit and I just lost an hour's worth of gameplay because quicksaves don't work. How fucking hard is it to program quicksaves? Why did I buy this game? Who cares whether it's good or not, it doesn't work. You have to download custom fixes to make it work, then it still doesn't work.

The Wizard

Educated
i heard the saves are still there and that steam just renames them for some reason.

they should be in the my documents/fallout new vegas/saves folder.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I see files there that were modified when I played my last game, but I don't know how to get them to show up in the actual game. I've tried renaming them all over and over to try to get them to show up, but I still only see in-game my first autosave and quicksave.

Why do I buy games? That's the real question. This game causes more rage than it does entertainment, just because of problems like this.

I doubt they'll patch it. They got their money from me.

KC said:
I just lost an hour's worth of gameplay

Goddamnit KC, numerous posters have stated the quicksaving is shit, why can't you people take advice maofaufiewufiabfasf

edit:

34761-2-1287584772.jpg

34761-1-1287584772.jpg

34761-3-1287584772.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
it's probably Bethesda who forced Obsidian to fuck up the quicksaves, or maybe someone sabotaged the release files, Obsidian has quality assurance testers, so if something like that happens despite Obsidians renowned QA there's something sinister going on. Agent Hines perhaps.

Topher

Cipher
I just encountered my first crash. It came right after finishing the tutorial quest about working with the campfire and was precede by massive lag. I'm going to install that update now.

hiver

The good news is that the saves make backups of themselves, appending .bak to the file type (quicksave.fos.bak). Should have noticed this earlier, but here are the steps to fix this if you run into it:

1) If you start the game up and look at your list of saves and see that they're not the fucking saves you made just an hour or so ago when you Quicksaved and left the game for a piss, exit the game. Now.

2) Go to the directory where the saves are. Under XP, that's usually:

C:\Documents and Settings\RPGCodex\My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves

3) You'll notice that for whatever reason, the game updated the quicksave and autosave .fos files by the date. But it usually leaves the .baks alone until you go so far into the game and try to save again.

4) Copy the .bak files out someplace like your desktop or your anus. You decide. Keep the folder open.

5) Remove the .bak from the file name so that only .fos is left

6) Start the game up. When it gets to the menu with the Load option, Alt+tab out, copy and paste the 'good' saves over (the ones you renamed without .bak), replacing the ones in the directory from Step 2, and then hit the Load button. You should now see the saves you wanted.

Topher

Cipher
I downloaded the update from a torrent site and it works just fine as far as I can tell.

chzr

Erudite
played few hours and didn't encounter any crashes, although my sound driver screws up whenever an npc starts speaking and have to reboot after quitting FNV to get sound on again. probably some eax shit...

can't get myself into playing it anyway, although i quite like new weapons, the combat is terrible (and perks encourage to play either VATS gunner or melee butcher)

:rpgcodex:

chzr

Erudite
gothfox said:
Do you have ffdshow installed? Try disabling it for falloutnv.exe or uninstalling it temporarily.

yea noticed it's in tray while playing, that will probably do it, will try today, ty.

commie said:
What did you expect from Shitbryo really? Turn based iso combat?

nah but it's painfully retarded to shoot 50 bullets into anything to kill it if i dare to not use something as awesome as VATS.

and don't come up with that "but it's a stat driven rpg!" bullshit.

gothfox

Liturgist
nah but it's painfully retarded to shoot 50 bullets into anything to kill it if i dare to not use something as awesome as VATS.

I didn't notice the bullet sponginess that much yet, but there is a mod which reduces HP of all creatures (including the PC) somewhere on NV nexus.

Felix

Arcane
50 bullets? I kill anything without armor in this game with 6 bullets max so far, unless you miss.

Piercing ammo is kind of scarce.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
chzr said:

and don't come up with that "but it's a stat driven rpg!" bullshit.

No you are right, in VATS you can rape radscorpions even with a peashooter in 3-4 hits, but without it, it takes more, probably because of the criticals(they seem far more common in VATS).

On the other hand, melee is actually fun compared to FO3. Throwing spears look awkward but they are like insta-kill weapons. I'm going focus my development on melee now after discovering the utility of spears.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom