Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NFT's in gaming, why did they fail?

Atrachasis

Augur
I haven't really been following this very closely, but my impression was that NFTs were always being hyped by publishers as an enabler of interoperability between different gaming ecosystems, importing and exporting assets freely between platforms. Which was bullshit from the beginning. All blockchains enable you to do is bypass a central provider of trust, i.e. a server that confirms that you really own the digital asset that you claim you own. But that's probably the one feature game publishers have no use for. They are quite happy to run centralized DRM servers, after all.

On the other hand, it's long been perfectly feasible to transfer assets between games without NFTs; all it takes is someone willing to write the import and export routines and establish a shared marketplace with another publisher. If publishers wanted to enable such interoperability, they would have been able to do so without NFTs for a long time. If they don't want to enable interoperability, having an NFT isn't going to magically allow you to import your assets into their games.

So NFTs were neither necessary to achieve the vision that they were being hyped with, nor did they actually enable it in any significant way. That's my uninformed hypothesis, anyway.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I genuinely believe it failed to catch on due to the bored ape memes. It became impossible to support NFTs and not look like a complete jackass. Which is good, of course.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All blockchains enable you to do is bypass a central provider of trust, i.e. a server that confirms that you really own the digital asset that you claim you own. But that's probably the one feature game publishers have no use for. They are quite happy to run centralized DRM servers, after all.

It's not just that they have no use for it, it's exactly what they DON'T want. The publishers WANT all control over who owns what.

You don't pay your new, higher monthly subscription to Diablo XVII? Gone is your Vorpal Sword +2.

You expressed an illegal opinion about mass immigration on some obscure RPG forum? Your character plus all the virtual "assets" you paid real money for, gone.

Hard to keep control of the plebs when everything is stored on a decentralised blockchain.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
NFTs were a one time scam where people in the know made huge bucks and left the ship. Now what's left is a weird toy you can't leverage for money anymore and can't explain to anyone out of the scene without sounding like someone with fetal alcohol syndrome.

NFTs and AI have their uses, but they are being peddled by cocaine-fueled idiots who have nothing to do with tech. That's all.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I dunno I went to Bored Ape Yacht Club show recently and I was blinded by the awesomeness of it
1701343268757.png

Location checks out.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NFTs have no place in real games. The only use they ever had was for bullshit microtransaction gacha cancer. Real, normal single player games whose content is entirely saved locally on your hard drive, no online connection required, have zero use for this shit.

Chuck Norris

Augur
I think another thing to consider is that Steam's marketplace is working too well atm to completely give way to decentralized ownership of digital assets. In other words, there is still hope and faith in centralized systems.

All these comsetic bullshit in DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike (which are basically NFTS, but not decentralized) are being bought and sold like crazy, and the Steam system is working. So there's no incentive for people to radically change the system.

NFTs can make a comeback in 2 circumstance:

1. A huge game (like something akin to GTA 6) uses them, but that's a big if, because why would a big publisher would want to decentralize their digital assets?

2. Steam market fails, and people lose hope and trust in big companies to handle digital ownership

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam market items are already retarded useless shit normal people don't need.

A funky pistol skin in Counter Strike? Worth 1000 bucks? LOL, LMAO

Just stop being gay and play regular single player games without this shit.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
They were too successful everywhere else and gaming had to be left out to avoid number of millionaires spiraling out of control.

Nirvash

Liturgist
A nft is a token in the blockchain.
A blockchain is a decentralized "peer to peer" database, something like a torrent file but a heavily encripted database made for safety and decentralization.

As a database a blockchain got many problems, you can't really add anything bigger than few bytes (even the bitcoin blockchain is only 500 giga), is very slow and adding stuff is very costly.

What's a nft then? A nft is just a normal internet link under your wallet ID (your crypto account) on a blockchain.
Yes, even those pics of monkeys ARE NOT on the blockchain, you can't put actual "assets" on a blockchain, you lack space.
And remember, a blockchain is not a copyright device or anything like it, you do not how the image or like or anything.

So... videogames, how do you use blockchain for videogames? lol.
Videogames as a media are centralized by nature:
You NEED a clear and legally liable publisher to give you a safe download for client/updates and safe game servers.
You NEED the developers to retain FULL CONTROL OVER ALL GAME ASSETS if you want any real updates/balance/bug fix and a costumer support.

And remember, you can't put the game assets on a blockchain anyway, so eveything will always stay in the private game servers, game goes aout and so do the asset.
In the end, anything nft "do" can still be done the normal way, nothing is stopping valve from letting you resell games, nothing is stopping EA to let you use fifa cars in all fifa games, they just do not want it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom