Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch invades Codexia!

Would you play this game?

• No, what the fuck is this weaboo shit?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes this looks great I will play it SEVEN TIMES

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Not sure will wait for reviews

• 0/10 OP is a consoletard newfag

• Total voters

anus_pounder

Arcane
:what:

I've had people steer me away from FFX because of its story and characters. Huh.

I know what you meant about Tidus. Just saying If I gave him a name from my life that should raise my opinion of him slightly more because psychologybullshityougettheidea.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Couldn't stand the combat in FFXII.

On the other hand combat is the only redeeming thing in FFX, because it is actual turn based and not RT/ATB shit.

Cynic

Arcane
anus_pounder said:

I've had people steer me away from FFX because of its story and characters. Huh.

Story is good. Characters...hmm they are alright...Tidus is a big fucking drag though. Rikku is also pretty irritating. Beast man hardly says anything, Wakka is kind of fun, Auron was the best character, Lulu was meh and Yuna was okay but pretty dull.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'll definitely try out 12, but keep the guide to yourself for now. I want to try and see what shitty build I come up with on my first playthrough. Since we're on the topic of FFs, what about 9 ? And dare I ask, what about 13 ?

Cynic

Arcane
Card game in VIII!!! :bro:

I hated IX. Shit got stupid after the first disc. XIII is rubbish, avoid it like the plague.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Cynic said:
anus_pounder said:

Story is good. Characters...hmm they are alright...Tidus is a big fucking drag though. Rikku is also pretty irritating. Beast man hardly says anything, Wakka is kind of fun, Auron was the best character, Lulu was meh and Yuna was okay but pretty dull.
Yeh, story isn't bad. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention that any good aspect of FFX's combat is ruined by its retarded corridor "maps."

Cynic

Arcane
Strings are epic in that tune. Yes it makes you a fucking big teary eyed japanophile weaboo 4 LIFE!

edit: actually, listening to this now, brought back memories of X...

:love:

this game had a great atmosphere...in a way it felt a bit more original than XII, as the premise was quite tripped out and psychedelic. World seemed more real somehow. It had a lot of diverse environments, tropical areas, snow, some crazy technological places, that fucking forest where you can get some ultimate weapon by catching butterflies in the right order...ooh now that has made me remember the rage.

zeitgeist

Magister
Cynic said:
There are guides online for this, if you play the re released Zodiac Job System version, you will have to choose a job for your characters at the start. I wanted to play this but it was only released in Japan. There is a fan translation if you choose to play with the PC emulator.
This one? From the videos it seems the game itself has quite a few sound glitches and slowdowns on PCSX2. Is it even possible to get it to work properly?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Cynic said:
No no, Tidus is fucked because the character is fucked, he's a stupid whiny emo little shit and you can't do anything about it. X-2 is trash imo. I played it a bit and then quit because it was too ridiculously stupid.

Honestly, I could say the same about all the other chars in FFX. There's absolutely not a one that didn't manage to annoy me at some point.

XII has good characters, except for the 2 kids, Vaan and Penelo, who were actually added in later due to high ups saying that they were needed for marketing reasons. Basch, Balthier, Ashe and Fran are all quite cool, each have their own little back stories and motivations that get explored quite well throughout the game. There are character specific quests and in Balthier's case, a long optional quest to fight the Bangaa who he has beef with.

Yes. The entire cast of FFXII with the exception of the whiny emo kid and pedantic bitch was quite good IMO. It was closest to being first serious jRPG I've played. Especially Basch and Balthier were refreshing to have around. Ash was the most annoying of the acceptable cast but whatever. I liked the English voice actors for the most part.

The game's world is very Star Wars, but it also blends enough original stuff in to keep it from being a total rip off. They story is great, in that up until the very end, you do not know if Ashe will use power for good or for evil, and I liked that about it.

The main issue with the game is both a blessing and a curse. It's the hunts. Hunts are basically, unique mobs that you hunt and kill for special loot. They are challenging, fun, and very addictive to play through. The problem is that they mostly have absolutely no connection to the main plot, and they soak up a LOT of time. Because of this, it's very easy to forget what the hell is going on in the game and become totally consumed by the hunts.

Hunts were insanely fun until you come up against bossess with ludicurously bloated HP and armour. Then it turns to war of attrition, which with the gambit system is not really challenging but annoyingly
time consuming. I gave up on them after defeating Fafnir - shit had more than 1000000 HP.

I recently replayed and made a vow not to go nuts on the hunts, which I stuck to for the most part. As I said before, I played with a class system and a self enforced level cap. I really enjoyed the game this way because it forced me to use each and every character for their own unique talents.

edit: and there were a LOT of challenging/satisfying encounters in the game this way. Especially near the end of the game where normal monsters can really fuck you up bad if you're only level 25.

There are guides online for this, if you play the re released Zodiac Job System version, you will have to choose a job for your characters at the start. I wanted to play this but it was only released in Japan. There is a fan translation if you choose to play with the PC emulator.

So there is a job system in the new version? FF games which enforced it are easily the best as far as gameplay is concerned. I may be tempted to try it one day.

pipka

Savant
WHAT.THE.HECK?! Why is this thread going places? FF?! For real? Doesn't change the fact that FF7 is superior to all other FFs.

Mrowak

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
I'll definitely try out 12, but keep the guide to yourself for now. I want to try and see what shitty build I come up with on my first playthrough. Since we're on the topic of FFs, what about 9 ? And dare I ask, what about 13 ?

Contrary to Cynic I would say IX is a very good game, albeit childish as hell. However, it speaks volumes that characters depicted there remain consistently more mature than their equivalents in parts VII, VIII, and X.

XIII is widely believed to be shit. They say that it gets interesting towards the end, but no one I know had patience to play 30 hours, before that came about.

Kz3r0

Arcane
pipka said:
WHAT.THE.HECK?! Why is this thread going places? FF?! For real? Doesn't change the fact that FF7 is superior to all other FFs.
No VI is, be a :obviously: weeaboo at least.

Black Cat

Magister
I don't know what happened here but, like, the only good Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy X-II, you bunch of tasteless noobs. You are all just butthurt because males have no role, outside staying in the kitchen and making sammichs, to play in that one, it's all about magical girls defeating world consuming monsters with the power of pretty dresses and cool clothes.

Mrowak

Arcane
Black Cat said:
I don't know what happened here but, like, the only good Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy X-II, you bunch of tasteless noobs. You are all just butthurt because males have no role, outside staying in the kitchen and making sammichs, to play in that one, it's all about magical girls defeating world consuming monsters with the power of pretty dresses and cool clothes.

:hmmm:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
6 > 8 > 4 ... 9 ... 7 > 10 ... 10-2 > 11 >>>>> 14
or something along those lines.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
Cynic said:
For world, sekai is the correct word. Shannow, honestly, it's in GG and has a Japanese title. Your distinction between "PC games" and "console games" is funny to me since this site is called "RPG" codex, and this RPG will probably have more in common with PnP games than almost anything on the PC released in the last 5 years.

Don't know who wrote that shit, ^^^^ - but it's clearly wrong. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom