Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Niggling problems remaining in new Codex - also for identifying possible bugs

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
We're all deeply appreciative of the efforts of those who have been gradually improving the new site to restore the aesthetics and functionality of the old Codex. This thread is intended to list any remaining issues that have yet to be resolved:

1. Stats button - Old Codex had a "stats" button appearing on every post, which would take you to a page with the distribution of posts by forum for that Codexer, followed by a list of that Codexer's most-brofisted posts --- Zed Duke of Banville --- This has been Partly Resolved: there is now a "stats" button on the pop-up menu accessible by hovering the cursor of anyone's username, but the stats page only has the distribution of posts by forum, not a list of most-brofisted posts
  2. Button ratings sorted on post - Button ratings that have been applied to a post appear below it, as before, but they are no longer sorted by # times each rating has been applied (with the most applied appearing on the left side) --- Zed Duke of Banville Resolved
  3. Button ratings sorted in the ratings box - The old sorting of buttons was abandoned in the transition, and it admittedly wasn't greatly missed. However, the new sorting wasn't any better, and a recent revision seems to have been intended to collect buttons that are visually similar; for example, the smiley faces now all appear at the top. A proper sorting of ratings would group ones with similar meanings, as proposed here. --- Zed Duke of Banville
  4. Animations for avatars - Animated avatars currently display just a static image --- Zed Duke of Banville
  5. Hyperlink style - The current automatic underlining of hyperlinks should be replaced with an automatic color application --- Zed Duke of Banville
  6. Ignore specific forums or threads --- Alex
  7. Moving and deleting embedded images is more complicated with your text field cursor than it used to be --- Semiurge
  8. The yellow button still doesn't work on older threads you haven't clicked on in awhile, even threads you've posted in. Still takes you to the first page. --- Grimlorn
  9. There should be an option to hide the menu/title bar at top of screen. --- Grimlorn
  10. There used to be a Top button at the bottom right around Home and Help; possibly other buttons as well --- Grimlorn
  11. Popup on user name/avatar - Since it is possible to obtain this popup by clicking on a user's name or avatar, there is no need for this popup to appear when the cursor hovers over the name or avatar, which often occurs unintentionally --- Grimlorn Resolved
  12. There should be a feature to hide the aggregation settings. In GRPG you have about 20 subforums and it's an eyesore. I know you can just delete them all but that leaves GRPG empty. --- Grimlorn Resolved
  13. Doing a quick copy/paste grab in Shoutbox to quote someone results in a mess --- Gregz
  14. Search pop-up box with results from thread titles is redundant and irritating, should be removed --- Zed Duke of Banville Resolved
  15. Unread watched threads used to sort by unread, post-upgrade it has been just a list of watched threads with unread threads highlighted, but as of today it doesn't even do that - it doesn't limit itself to watched threads at all, and just shows unread new posts. Watched threads is completely broken now. --- hello friend Resolved
  16. If you hover over a profile photo, the account details popup displays reaction statistics. It used to show 3 values: positive ratings (green), neutral ones (white) and negatives ones (red). Now there are 6 categories, likely resulting from reorganization of buttons into new categories. The green number now points to "Standard Yellow" category and the red one to "Prestigious Privileged Patrons" category. This is clearly incorrect. --- Arbiter
  17. User Profile -> Postings -> 'See More' --- The 'See More' button should add more posts to the already existing page, not load a new page (which annoyingly starts back with the 'Search results' you've already read). --- Gregz
  18. User names should wrap instead of overflowing --- rusty_shackleford Resolved
  19. Smilies button drop-down menu - Greatly expand this drop-down menu horizontally, while also enlarging the images (less of a size reduction) so that they are easier to examine and select --- Zed Duke of Banville
  20. Signature space - Amount of space available for signatures has decreased substantially, limiting the amount of text that can be placed --- The Brazilian Slaughter
  21. Attached images shown below post - Either eliminate it or have a toggle option --- Rean
  22. The roll clickbox is still too big, resulting in rolling by accident way too often. --- rop
  23. In the alerts page in the account settings, there still is no way to go to the post the alert is for by clicking the alerts; you can only do it with the pop-down menu for the alerts. --- FriendlyMerchant
  24. The prestigious parrot button rating is scaled down (not the smiley but the rating), which is not the case for the regular parrot button rating; preferably, they would both be at full scale. +M --- Ismaul
  25. When you're typing paragraphs then press backspace in second paragraph. It sometimes goes up. Example: https://imgur.com/a/zv5VhwK --- Pink Eye
  26. On old Codex you used to be able to maximize editing window to fill whole screen, which made writing long posts super easy --- Pink Eye
  27. If you use b element to bold words it reverts text size. You have to actually highlight the word then modify its text size after using b element. --- Pink Eye
  28. Copy pasting steam update log to Codex breaks the entire quote. This was definitely NOT the case on old codex. --- Pink Eye
  29. Alerts from being tagged in a post - This had been functioning without any problems, but recently this seems to have stopped working intermittently --- Zed Duke of Banville Resolved
  30. Another issue with alerts: It seems that if someone quotes a message that originally quoted you, you will get an alert about it, even if the quoting user edited your original message out of it. --- Alex
  31. With the addition of an "Ignore thread" button, the "Jump to new" button on the top-right of a thread is now sandwiched between that and the Watch/Unwatch button. Since the "Jump to new" button should be the most frequently used, I suggest placing it on the left side, with the "Ignore thread" as the least often used in the middle. --- Zed Duke of Banville Resolved

Possible bugs:
  1. There is some kind of strange and terrible performance issue, such that loading the main forums page (https://rpgcodex.net/forums/) requires the user to wait? ~10 seconds before the site will serve links on the page? To demonstrate this, load the page from somewhere else and then try to mouseover any title which also serves as a link, you will not be able to load that link for ~10 seconds. It may be a local problem, I don't know: Chrome (latest version) on Win 7 --- Gregz
  2. Octavius has been experiencing performance issues when editing posts, starting July 28, when using Mozilla Firefox, but problem does not occur with Opera Resolved (actually a problem with Mozilla Firefox)
  3. A recurring error no matter the browser or the platform, where you click the reply button in the profile posts section, it hangs for a little bit and if you click more times it ends up creating several reply boxes.
    28447-5e567c65b6a77a51a29c57a3bebf1cf6.jpg
    --- rop

Feel free to post anything else you've noticed (preferably with details), and I will append them to this list. :M

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Time to go back to the old ways. Trying to post shit is fucking retarded now. I insert quotes in my post or do anything without fucking the whole post up. WHY DID U FIX WHAT WASNT BROKEN

Okay I'm calm. I just have a problem with the quote system. It used to be super duper easy and now it is not. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Time to go back to the old ways. Trying to post shit is fucking retarded now. I insert quotes in my post or do anything without fucking the whole post up. WHY DID U FIX WHAT WASNT BROKEN

Okay I'm calm. I just have a problem with the quote system. It used to be super duper easy and now it is not. I feel like I'm going crazy.
Took me a second to figure this out as well. Why is there a quote button that does not work under his post? Is that like a copy paste function?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If you can identify specific issues with the quote system, I'll add them to the list.

Took me a second to figure this out as well. Why is there a quote button that does not work under his post? Is that like a copy paste function?
The "quote" button, located between the "rate" and "reply" buttons, seems to operate in conjunction with the "insert quotes" button located at the bottom of your post-in-progress, to the right of the "attach files" button. This is probably similar to the old multi-quote function that I never used. :M

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
SDG is right, the quote function is fucked because you can't separate nested quotes anymore using [ quote ] [ /quote ] code.

Twiglard
Switch to bbcode using the [] toolbar button. There are ways to prune quotes in the new forum, except they're counterintuitive. Check the tips and tricks thread in site feedback.

Gastrick

Cipher
Another big thing is displaying buttons from the most frequent to the least frequent. Shoutbox is also called "Chat" in the toolbar instead of its proper name.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
  1. Stats button - Old Codex had a "stats" button appearing on every post, which would take you to a page with the distribution of posts by forum for that Codexer, followed by a list of that Codexer's most-brofisted posts

I asked DU about this in the other thread, he said it's on the todo list.

I also suggested it get updated to include most rated posts in general rather than just the most brofisted.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Another big thing is displaying buttons from the most frequent to the least frequent. Shoutbox is also called "Chat" in the toolbar instead of its proper name.
That's because it is Chat. The old thing was a "shoutbox". What's there now is a proper Chat addon. DU just named it "shoutbox" in some areas, but it should really be Chat everywhere. A shoutbox is basically a stripped down, very basic version of the full Chat addon.

Semiurge

Cipher
SDG is right, the quote function is fucked because you can't separate nested quotes anymore using [ quote ] [ /quote ] code.

Twiglard

Another frustrating thing about HTML mode in this version of XF2 is that moving and deleting embedded images is more complicated with your text field cursor.

Gregz

Arcane
That's because it is Chat. The old thing was a "shoutbox". What's there now is a proper Chat addon. DU just named it "shoutbox" in some areas, but it should really be Chat everywhere. A shoutbox is basically a stripped down, very basic version of the full Chat addon.

The word "Shoutbox" has taken a kind of life of its own here, whether intended or otherwise.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Some minor things.

• The yellow button still doesn't work on older threads you haven't clicked on in awhile, even threads you've posted in. Still takes you to the first page. Guessing you already know this though.

• There should be an option to hide the menu/title bar at top of screen.

• There use to be a Top button at the bottom right around Home and Help. Not sure where exactly. Definitely more buttons around there.

• I don't think there needs to be a feature where the mouse highlights a name and a huge account popup comes up. You have to click on the name to get the popup for their account anyways, yet if you're scrolling through the forums about to click on a thread and you go over a name for too long that large popup comes up making you have to move back off it to click a thread. Just doesn't make sense to have both the highlight and click feature for user names. The popup for highlighting a thread is ok and isn't as intrusive.

• There should be a feature to hide the aggregation settings. In GRPG you have about 20 subforums and it's an eyesore. I know you can just delete them all but that leaves GRPG empty. This is what I'm talking about.
    cdx3.jpg

• I still think there should just be an option to click buttons already added at the bottom of the post. The rate button is kind of annoying to use, the buttons keep moving around or are in different places between different subforums. So the less you have to use it the better imo. And it would just be convenient for adding funny, brofist, agree, disagree, yes, no. Anyone who says button diversity is more important is an idiot.

Gregz

Arcane
There is some kind of strange and terrible performance issue, such that loading the main forums page (https://rpgcodex.net/forums/) requires the user to wait? ~10 seconds before the site will serve links on the page?

To demonstrate this, load the page from somewhere else and then try to mouseover any title which also serves as a link, you will not be able to load that link for ~10 seconds. It may be a local problem, I don't know:

Chrome (latest version) on Win 7

Lambach

Arcane
Didn't want to open a new thread for this, so I figured I may as well ask here, seems somewhat appropriate.

Is there a way to see the quote tags as actual text instead of these stupid borders/outlines? It gets messy as hell when you're trying delete previous quotes from a post you quoted.

You know, a way to see the actual tags when writing a post instead of this annoying shit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom