Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The other thing you're missing is that the Switch has sold 139 million units, which is nice, but it's completely ignoring the fact that from the SNES on, Nintendo also had handhelds at the same time.
This is a very good point.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, the Wii was $250 when it was released in the mid2000s. The DS was $150 around the same time. This lines up pretty close to the modern Switch and Switch Lite prices of today. But combined, the Wii and DS combined sold 255 million units. I don't think you can argue that the Wii/NDS era wasn't the most innovative era for Nintendo. Both consoles were fairly underpowered for their time, though the NDS did have an ARM7 as well as an ARM9 processor. It was a pretty interesting piece of hardware.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Switch is an overwhelming success, the Steam Deck is a runaway hit, and yet developers , Sony, and MS all act like "better graphics, 4K and AI " are the answer to their current economical crisis.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Switch is an overwhelming success, the Steam Deck is a runaway hit, and yet developers , Sony, and MS all act like "better graphics, 4K and AI " are the answer to their current economical crisis.

Not to mention how many of these live service and AAA games are failing with super bloated budgets and AAs / indies are cleaning up.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Imagine the indie developers' butthurt if AAA companies will start to produce many low budget games, instead of the very few big budget AAA games like now.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Imagine the indie developers' butthurt if AAA companies will start to produce many low budget games, instead of the very few big budget AAA games like now.

They already did.
Dave the Diver.

They also tried with smaller titles from Ubi & EA (Unraveled, Valiant Hearts), which have been critical and review successes, but they gave up for some reason.

It worked, and they ignored it.

I don't know what else to tell you.

To be fair, they probably thought they couldn't compete on that field with the indies, for the simple reason that such corporations are a juggernaut to manoeuver and getting the same result an indie developper gets in a product is probably much much much more expensive to Ubi & EA than for an actual den living off pasta and working from his bedroom.

But in all fairness, a return to PS1&PS2 style of graphics (maybe a bit cleaner and sharper) for a certain category of products would result in dramatic cheaper games to produce, that could somehow work on a gameplay/storytelling similar to AAA gaming. It could sell well and work perfectly on the biggest install base ever from the PS4 to the Switch to the Deck to cheapo PCs. Why aren't they trying this, not for flagship titles, but as an experiment ?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Damn, didn't realize until very recently while playing around with emus that the Switch had a shit-load of games; yes, indeed, it is a success. Unfortunately, most of the RPGs are ports/remasters of jRPGs from of days of yore. However, even there they tend to be good ports/remasters (Live A Live). Some of the exclusives look intriguing like SMT V, and the remastered SMT III is probably the best way to play this well-regarded, dex-approved jRPG. Also, I always wanted to play a modern 3D SMB game (ie Super Mario Galaxy), having not completed one since the days of my Super Nintendo original hardware, and now looks like the time to do it, on the Switch in emulation. I wonder how effective my DS5's motion controller features will be with these games that were designed (required?) for it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
There's one game called Astral Chain (aRPG?) on the switch that I recently tested in Yuzu that I thought had an interesting battle mechanic. You're a police-person of the future, not terribly dissimilar to the aesthetic of Spielberg's very good Minority Report, who fights with a tamed astral/spectral creature, visible only some of the time, captured from the dimension where their evil brethren have come (the premise of the game), and can only have them materialize for brief periods before you need to reign them in with your astral leashes/chains. It's all very cool, cyberpunkish (except you're the good guy) and anime and should greatly please the weaboos and animetards. However, I think it's impossible to die in this. I was giving chase to some baddies on the highway (or being chased by them) and crashed my cool neon motorbike head-on fullspeed into at least 10 vehicles - from buses to trucks - and didn't miss a beat in my pursuit (though there was collision at least). I think you can literally just stand there and take damage from 20 spectral enemies and your health doesn't go down, but you won't end the sequence until you do fight. I didn't test this thoroughly but it feels like it. Should I bother to continue? I did reach the post-title sequence where you can select difficulty and I selected hardest (std) so does that make a difference? But... I do like the spectral monster-pets on a chain/leash idea.

Machocruz

Arcane
Just found out Battle Brothers is on Switch. BB + Monster Hunters 3U - GU...greatest console of all time??

911 Jumper

Educated
Reminder: Online play for Wii U and 3DS will shut down on Monday
Yeah, Nintendo sucks. But if you're still playing on your 3DS and Wii-U, and you've gone the CFW route, there's this:

https://pretendo.network/

It works pretty well. It takes no time to set it up, either. About five minutes of work and I was getting my ass beat by people from all over the globe in Mario Kart 7.

If you haven't jailbroken your 3DS yet, don't be a pussy. Don't follow videos on YouTube, most of them are out of date and are great ways of bricking your systems. Here's the guide for it that is always up to date:

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

And for the Wii-U:

https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

And here's most of the published homebrew for all those consoles:

https://www.gamebrew.org/
Thanks for the links. Reminds me that MVG recently covered Pretendo on a recent vid (if anyone's interested):

911 Jumper

Educated
Discord is nuking Nintendo Switch emulator devs and their entire servers / The Yuzu story isn’t over
Discord has shut down the Discord servers for the Nintendo Switch emulators Suyu and Sudachi and has completely disabled their lead developers’ accounts — and the company isn’t answering our questions about why it went that far. Both Suyu and Sudachi began as forks of Yuzu, the emulator that Nintendo sued out of existence on March 4th.

“Discord responds to and complies with all legal and valid Digital Millennium Copyright Act requests. In this instance, there was also a court ordered injunction for the takedown of these materials, and we took action in a manner consistent with the court order,” reads part of a statement from Discord director of product communications Kellyn Slone to The Verge.

The developers of Suyu and Sudachi only received vague messages about how they were sharing content that allegedly violates intellectual property rights, according to images shared with The Verge. Meanwhile, Discord tells us that it’s following its normal process for DMCA takedown requests — but it’s not at all clear there was a valid DMCA takedown request or that those communities were actually violating IP rights, and it’s quite possible Discord isn’t following its own policy by kicking them out.

Remember, Nintendo got Yuzu to settle rather than proving its case in court, and the settlement did not give Nintendo the rights to Yuzu’s freely copyable GPL v3 code. Developers of Yuzu’s forks also claimed they were changing the code further, among other practices, in an effort to avoid pissing Nintendo off. And that code wasn’t hosted on Discord in any case.

But it’s possible that people were sharing Nintendo’s cryptographic keys, firmware, or even entire pirated games in these servers despite those commitments. At the end of the day, most people seeking out a Nintendo Switch emulator are looking to play Nintendo games on it. But with the servers gone, it’s hard to prove either way.

Even if Suyu and Sudachi were infringing, Discord’s policy does not suggest it would permaban, much less nuke entire servers, on the first offense. Discord did not answer questions about whether these users were repeat copyright infringers, had received any previous warnings, or were forwarded any takedown requests.

Sudachi developer Jarrod Norwell tells me it came out of the blue: “Their first email was that my account has broken the TOS, with no additional information.” He claims Sudachi wasn’t doing anything infringing. Later, he was told it vaguely had something to do with intellectual property but says Discord still hasn’t given him any details.
Source: The Verge

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The Yuzu story isn’t over
Supposedly Yuzu was made with the assistance of the official Switch development kit, which caused a bunch of the Suyu programmers to bail on the project since Suyu is based on Yuzu. So yeah, story's not over.

The Discord thing is pretty retarded, though.

911 Jumper

Educated
The Yuzu story isn’t over
Supposedly Yuzu was made with the assistance of the official Switch development kit, which caused a bunch of the Suyu programmers to bail on the project since Suyu is based on Yuzu. So yeah, story's not over.

The Discord thing is pretty retarded, though.
Wasn't aware of that. If that's the case, it makes me wonder how they got hold of a dev kit. Will be interesting to see what happens.
But as I've said in this thread before, I don't blame Nintendo for wanting to shut all this stuff down.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
But as I've said in this thread before, I don't blame Nintendo for wanting to shut all this stuff down.

This is a pretty good video which sums up my frustration with Nintendo right now. The creator of the video mentions that Nintendo could easily keep the 3DS/WiiU stores up, while the argument I've heard for closing them down is that Nintendo has to keep patching the payment services for exploits for the 3DS/WiiU eShop. That's why they shut it down, because it was costing them money to keep them secure. The huge problem with that is that the 3DS/WiiU eShops use the exact same payment system as they're using for the Switch. So, that reasoning is a load of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom