Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They tried to sue Dolphin, didn't they? They did try to sue some emulation group in the past, but they lost. This could possibly just be scare tactics.

FalayedGong

Literate
They tried to sue Dolphin, didn't they? They did try to sue some emulation group in the past, but they lost. This could possibly just be scare tactics.
Dolphin were planning to release a Steam version, but it was DMCA'd by Nintendo due to decryption keys from the Wii being included.

Been a while since I've seen it but MVG did a good rundown from what I remember.

Thorakitai

Learned
If it weren't for their vicious anti-piracy stance that actually has devastating results, I'd love Nintendo since they're the only major video game company that hasn't fully abandoned the philosophy of video games being genuinely fun video games instead of just making video game into some interactive HD movie.

911 Jumper

Educated
BREAKING
Switch emulator creator settles Nintendo lawsuit for $2.4m
The creator of a popular Nintendo Switch emulator has settled a Nintendo lawsuit and agreed to pay $2.4 million in damages.

Tropic Haze, the creator of the Switch emulator Yuzu, was sued by Nintendo last month. The platform holder had claimed that Yuzu was “facilitating piracy at a colossal scale”.

On Monday, the two parties mutually agreed on a monetary settlement and permanent injunction.

As part of the judgment by the US District Court of Rhode Island, Tropic Haze was issued with a permanent injunction preventing it from offering or marketing Yuzu or any of its source code in the future.

Its members are also prevented from creating any future software that circumvents Nintendo’s technical protection, and Tropic Haze must surrender all website domains and information related to its emulator.

This permanent injunction constitutes a binding court order, and any violations by Tropic Haze or its members will subject them to the full scope of the Court’s contempt authority, including punitive and monetary sanctions.

In its initial lawsuit documents, Nintendo claimed that last year’s biggest Switch release, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, was pirated over one million times in the week and a half before its release in May.

“With Yuzu in hand, nothing stops a user from obtaining and playing unlawful copies of virtually any game made for the Nintendo Switch, all without paying a dime to Nintendo or to any of the hundreds of other game developers and publishers making and selling games for the Nintendo Switch,” the company said.

“In effect, Yuzu turns general computing devices into tools for massive intellectual property infringement of Nintendo and others’ copyrighted works.”
Source: VGC

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They got away easy. Could have been magnitudes of times worse.

Athena

Educated
I'd love Nintendo since they're the only major video game company that hasn't fully abandoned the philosophy of video games being genuinely fun video games
This hasn't been the case in decades. I need some difficulty to find a game fun.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Cross posting from the emulation thread: Citra bites the dust. I like the way he pretends that they were disappointed by people using emulation for piracy.
ICEr3ig.png

911 Jumper

Educated
Look at all those flags

I wonder what the N stands for. Must be N-intendo in this case.

Vorark

Erudite
Cross posting from the emulation thread: Citra bites the dust. I like the way he pretends that they were disappointed by people using emulation for piracy.
ICEr3ig.png

Not shown: Nintendo ninjas holding them at gun point to write this.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I wonder what will be the reaction from ryujinx developers, if they're gonna stop working on the emulator too fearing a lawsuit from Nintendo aswell.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I actually managed to grab what was possibly the last main build today
When I get the time this week, I'll see this gets scattered to the 4 winds of the web
If anyone wants, just ask

I wonder what will be the reaction from ryujinx developers, if they're gonna stop working on the emulator too fearing a lawsuit from Nintendo aswell.
The way I understood this whole debacle
Nintendo only managed to get this victory because the devs behind Yuzu were paywalling certain builds on patreon
So I figure that as long as other devs don't try to profit out of their emulators, Nintendo has no way to go after them (they could still get by with donations though)

Emulation is legal and used for purposes other than gaming consoles
Thousands of companies rely on emulation software
Plus settlements don't set any precedents
Despite their whining, Nintendo has no case against emulation

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
BREAKING
Switch emulator creator settles Nintendo lawsuit for $2.4m
The creator of a popular Nintendo Switch emulator has settled a Nintendo lawsuit and agreed to pay $2.4 million in damages.

Tropic Haze, the creator of the Switch emulator Yuzu, was sued by Nintendo last month. The platform holder had claimed that Yuzu was “facilitating piracy at a colossal scale”.

On Monday, the two parties mutually agreed on a monetary settlement and permanent injunction.

As part of the judgment by the US District Court of Rhode Island, Tropic Haze was issued with a permanent injunction preventing it from offering or marketing Yuzu or any of its source code in the future.

Its members are also prevented from creating any future software that circumvents Nintendo’s technical protection, and Tropic Haze must surrender all website domains and information related to its emulator.

This permanent injunction constitutes a binding court order, and any violations by Tropic Haze or its members will subject them to the full scope of the Court’s contempt authority, including punitive and monetary sanctions.

In its initial lawsuit documents, Nintendo claimed that last year’s biggest Switch release, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, was pirated over one million times in the week and a half before its release in May.

“With Yuzu in hand, nothing stops a user from obtaining and playing unlawful copies of virtually any game made for the Nintendo Switch, all without paying a dime to Nintendo or to any of the hundreds of other game developers and publishers making and selling games for the Nintendo Switch,” the company said.

“In effect, Yuzu turns general computing devices into tools for massive intellectual property infringement of Nintendo and others’ copyrighted works.”
To be fair there was no other play for Yuzu here. What were they gonna do? Outlitigate Nintendo? Another thing to keep in mind is this doesn't benefit anyone as Ryujinx just lost its biggest competitor and can now afford to just coast along.

ADL

Prophet
From what I understand about the case, it seems like the Yuzu team were the wrong group to fight Nintendo on this because they were sharing ROMs among maintainers in their Discord (for testing) but someone's gonna have to. Sharing ROMs amongst each other is a fatal error no matter how legitimate the purpose is. Anyone bright enough to develop an emulator is able to source their own ROMs.

The DMCA provision that prevents users from breaking encryption effectively kills emulation anyways. Every modern-ish console requires bios files and keys acquired through hacked hardware so it's time to go scorched earth and get this all out in the open.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom