Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

SerratedBiz

Arcane
So you guyz admit that core of people interest is portability of third party AAA/indie titles?

No, and it takes quite a bit of mental gymnastics to reach that conclusion.

The Switch actually follows in the footsteps of the (3)DS in having quite a few exclusives, including RPGs. Bravely Default 2, last Fire Emblem, Pokemanz, SMT (as you mentioned), Xenoblade Chronicles (including the Wii remaster of the first), to name a few. Your mileage in enjoying these games may vary but it doesn't change the fact that the exclusives are decent games and make the console worth buying.

My experience with ports on the Switch so far actually amounts to a whole lot of "I should've just played it on the PC", since it suffers quite a bit from performance issues and downgrading (tried Phantom Doctrine and couldn't stomach its <30 fps uglyness).

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The (3)DS has many more exclusives specifically created for it (and not only from Nintendo), thanks maybe to its dual screen. So far most of Switch titles I could be interested in are already available on other platforms, and if those games have performance issues too...

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The Switch has Fire Emblem and SMT. That's all it needs to justify its existence to me. What did the Wii U have that was worth a shit other than Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Nothing unless you're one of those fags that actually likes first party Nintendo games

sser

Arcane
Developer
I've no problems, but my gaming market is mostly PC; so the Switch offers things I like, but in handheld form. Perfect example is Doom 2016. I bought it on PC, but when I got around my PC and gaming I just defaulted to the strategy games I usually play. So then I got it on Switch and beat the whole game in handheld mode while traveling. The catalog of games which fits this particular niche is gigantic so I've no complaints.

So you guyz admit that core of people interest is portability of third party AAA/indie titles?

OK, so if it's main of reason of Switch still selling like hotcakes then no wonder Nintendo doesn't care anymore about decent amount of first party / exclusives - and that why I consider it worst NINTENDO console.

It's basically Game Boy Advance 20 years later, thanks to that and because of day 1 emulation.

At least we are getting SMT5 which will be obviously best geam of the decade.

I mean that's just me speaking. The system's portability is the main reason to have it. I'd say 90% of my time playing it is as handheld.

The catalog though seems strong to me at least. I see a lot of Nintendo games and a lot of Switch-specific titles that are quite good even if they're not Nintendo-developed specifically.

What did the Wii U have that was worth a shit other than Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Nothing unless you're one of those fags that actually likes first party Nintendo games

Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Smash, Yoshi's Woolly World, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad - are all of those games just faggotry to you?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
"Raah! I want to start a fight about some random thing that nobody gives a shit about!"

I don't sit there comparing the catalogue of every console out there, the Switch is worth it for me due to a combination of ports given my complete lack of consoles, the portability, the exclusives. For others you might also throw in party / kids friendly.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
What did the Wii U have that was worth a shit other than Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Nothing unless you're one of those fags that actually likes first party Nintendo games

Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Smash, Yoshi's Woolly World, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad - are all of those games just faggotry to you?
All of them except for the last one because I've never heard of it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-04-12-nintendo-to-focus-more-on-original-ip

Nintendo to focus more on original IP
"New game series as well as long-sellers such as Mario and Zelda" will be the focal point going forward, president Shuntaro Furukawa says
Marie Dealessandri

Nintendo is to focus on developing more original IP for the Switch going forward.

President Shuntaro Furukawa said in an interview with Nikkei (translated by VGC) that creating new series and developing new entries in well-known Nintendo IP is what the Switch needs to remain competitive.

"With the expansion of time spent at home, the range of 'entertainment' as an object of consumption is expanding," he said. "Games are not a necessity of life. In order for customers to choose games in their finite time, they have to be interesting. Competition is tough, and I am not optimistic.

"I myself am looking at and studying various forms of entertainment. In the future, we will focus on creating new game series as well as long-sellers such as Mario and Zelda."

Later in the interview, he mentioned that Nintendo is always considering new hardware.

"We are constantly building up ideas for the new consoles the market is expecting, but there are some things we can't do now due to technology and cost constraints," he said.

There's been rumours of an upgraded version of the Nintendo Switch for a while now, with the platform holder reportedly to unveil a 4K OLED Switch this year. The new version will reportedly use latest Nvidia graphics chip.

Interesting...
So I am guessing no more Donkey Kong games for awhile
And I can finally abandon all hope for a F-Zero revival

Last edited:
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...gle_ps5_ps4_game_in_the_japanese_sales_charts

For the first time since the late 1980s, the Japanese sales charts are dominated by a single console. The latest Famitsu results, which track physical software sales from 2nd August through 8th August, are completely occupied by Nintendo Switch titles. To clarify: every game, from 1st position to 30th position, belongs to the House of Mario’s hybrid hardware.

There were times during the 90s where Nintendo completely conquered the charts, but software was divided between the Famicom, Super Famicom, and Game Boy – this is the first time every single game has belonged to a single piece of hardware. Of course, from the perspective of a PlayStation website, this shows how poorly Sony’s games are selling in the company’s home nation.

Now there are, of course, caveats: the data only takes into account physical software sales, and we know that PlayStation has been skewing more towards digital of late – although uptake in Japan has been marginally slower than in Western territories. It’s also worth remembering that the PS5 is still out of stock, and PS4 hardware supply has abruptly tailed off.

Nevertheless, this is eye-opening stuff. The PS5 did manage to sell another 13.5k units for the week, which is a decent number considering the supply constraints. But its attach rate is extremely poor in the region, at least in terms of physical software sales anyway. Obviously the next-gen console is performing well globally, but it looks like Japan is increasingly becoming a lost cause for the company.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are you guys looking forward to in the future? For me, there are a few games that I have my eyes on.

Dragon Quest III 2DHD
Pokemon Legends: Arceus (Might as well get one game in the series)
Project Triangle Strategy
Shin Megami Tensei V
The War of Genesis: Remnants of Gray

I'm waiting on a sale for Monster Hunter 2, Mercenaries Blaze, and The Great Attorney Chronicles. I'm probably also getting the new Mario + Rabbids game if I ever see it on sale in the future.

Sentifor

Barely Literate
This is a legendary game developer that modern game developers should look up to. I recently played Nintendo Switch with a friend of mine, and I also read an interesting article about this console. I thought to buy it, but the news of the Steam Dec release made me think.

deuxhero

Arcane
https://archive.is/58DPv
Famitsu's top 30 best selling titles are all Switch titles. This is the first time one console has dominated so since 1988, when the only two consoles with any sales were the Famicom and the largely forgotten Master System (Genesis launched later that year and GameBoy early the next). Famitsu only tracks physical sales though, so digital may be skewing it (and is why PC isn't on the list at all)

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Playing the Zelda remake right now.

Haven't been following the news lately and my switch gathered a bit of dust in the last couple months so idk much about new releases. I only found out about this Zelda game this week, I don't even know for how long it's been around(not that long I assume, judging by the price).

J1M

Arcane
What are you guys looking forward to in the future? For me, there are a few games that I have my eyes on.

Dragon Quest III 2DHD
Pokemon Legends: Arceus (Might as well get one game in the series)
Project Triangle Strategy
Shin Megami Tensei V
The War of Genesis: Remnants of Gray

I'm waiting on a sale for Monster Hunter 2, Mercenaries Blaze, and The Great Attorney Chronicles. I'm probably also getting the new Mario + Rabbids game if I ever see it on sale in the future.
Sports Story because Golf Story was amazing.
https://sidebargames.com/

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
No More Heroes 3 released on the 27th. Unless you are a Suda51 fanboy steer away from it. While combat itself is better than in the previous games (though still pales in comparison to something like DMC), the technical aspects of it are horrid as well as the level design. Game legitimately looks worse than the first game. Textures popping, jagged edges and shader settings make models look like plastic. Didn't notice overworld FPS drops myself, but I've heard it's frequent. I still haven't reached the second boss, but from what I've heard the later bosses don't even have proper levels before the boss, just rooms with spawning enemy waves.

maydaymemer

Educated
Alright there's no dedicated Pikmin thread so I'll just ask here. This is the most niche thing ever and I doubt anyone else has watched it but I once saw a PIkmin 2 review where the guy called the Fiery Bublax enemy a quote peaceul protestor bulborb. I am completely fascinated by that video because of that because it's an instance of horseshoe theory where a rightoid interupts a gaming video to get political in an obnoxious way. He used a cartoon avatar and it was fairly well edited. If anyone has also seen that video please tell me who made it and if it's still linkable somewhere. I can't find it

Fuck politics, use GD and / or SJW thread.

On topic - Switch is giving me some great games to play, although I still hate the format (thing is just too big to considered portable and if docked I might as well use the PC already connected).

Odyssey is fantastic, BOTW as well, I am especially pleased with amount of co-op games to play. Those games are just fun and joy to play. So refreshing compared to "cinematic" experiences of other side of the spectrum. Great console and great library overall. Nintendo knows what it is doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom