Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I wouldn't be surprised if it's retards buying stuff from scammers who asks their Nintendo account info.

throwaway

Cipher
What's the closest thing to a Gothic-like on the Switch? (I was hoping they'd port Elex or the Risens but I guess the Krauts don't switch)

I got half a mind to dive into skyrim a decade late but I figured I can hold off till the hype dies.

Citizen

What's the closest thing to a Gothic-like on the Switch? (I was hoping they'd port Elex or the Risens but I guess the Krauts don't switch)

I got half a mind to dive into skyrim a decade late but I figured I can hold off till the hype dies.
Dragon Dogma

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pretty stupid to only own a Switch if you're looking to play Western RPGs, but yeah... Zelda is similar enough, and very good.

Citizen

Sunshine still has amazing looking water. Big issue with it is 30fps cap, even in Dolphin. If they could remove that...

NTSC-U version of sunshine can be played in 60 fps with a hack with no problems

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Switch is a great system and I'm very happy with it due to Pokemon, Shin Megami Tensei, and Fire Emblem, but man does it seem like the owners have some shit taste whenever I check what the top sellers are

An interesting tidbit here: It got revealed that top sellers are pooled on total revenue, not on sales number.
This means a 60 bucks game like breath of the wild is gonna stay in the top charts forever, since a 20-30$ game needs to sell double or triple the numbers to take its spot for a week.
So a good smaller rpg like Steamworld Quest has rough times to get into the top charts.

orcinator

Liturgist
It is absolutely justified to own a Switch, only to play Deadly Premonition 2 :obviously:

Or just .. you know, use an emulator.

inb4 DP2 runs better on the emulator than on the Switch itself
Given the first game and the state of the footage we've seen it's better to just watch an LP instead of dealing with the gameplay.
Not sure if there will be a decent one anytime soon though.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I would like to buy a Switch but its games cost a fuckton in my country :negative:

They run sales all the time. I often get games for almost nothing. The exception are the mainline Nintendo catalog -- they're usually like 20% off at most if they ever get a promo.

For those who own Switch, how is it's quality?

Honestly it looks like cheap tablet with shitty plastic controlers buy it may be just a false impression.

sser

Arcane
Developer

Honestly it looks like cheap tablet with shitty plastic controlers buy it may be just a false impression.

I thought it was a cheap piece of shit when I took it out of the box. Like the holder that you hook to the TV set is flimsy plastic to put it kindly. Looks like something you'd buy second hand out of a flea market stall and then lose in the cluttered trunkspace of your car. But it all works. Like the first time I was playing Zelda on the TV, then hooked the joycons into it and took it with me into the bathroom to take a monstrous shit, and it just seamlessly went handheld and still looked great, I was like... this is actually genius as all fuck.

^ Mean every word of that.

Tigranes

Arcane
Depends on your priorities. There are devices where I really care and will pay for the quality of the hardware, the design, materials, etc. A portable game device? Not so much. Why do I care about top notch chips or whatever if it has good games?

It's durable enough and I never worry too much about carrying it around. There's a known issue where they cheaped out on the controllers and the analogue is prone to drift. In US and some other places they are 'repairing' for free if so.

ultimanecat

Arcane

Mixed. The Switch itself feels solid, the controllers snap in nicely and it doesn’t feel creaky or cheap. I slapped on a $10 screen protector and the screen has held up great and I don’t worry about dropping it into the dock. That said, the dock feels light and cheap, putting the Switch into it just means literally dropping it loosely into it without any tactile response, the stand on the back of the Switch for playing with the controllers disconnected is completely useless and not fit for purpose, and the JoyCon analog sticks are notorious for being crap and prone to failure (my original left one broke and can’t click in but doesn’t have the “drift” most complaints are about). So... it’s okay but not built like a tank like Nintendo stuff typically has been.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

The analog sticks are shit. You have to baby them or you'll end up with stick drift. I had to replace mine once after getting pissed while playing a game and pushing on them too hard

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Basically, get a Switch if you want Nintendo exclusives or things that are portable. I also occasionally pick up ports of older games on it or things where I don't care about the graphics or performance, usually because they're old or simpler games. There are other platforms that are better suited for graphics and performance, but they're not as portable, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom