Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As someone who loves this game but utterly despises farming, I have no problem with using one of the various cheat programs you can find online. For example, with this one, you just need to activate "max drop rate & item rarity" and your smiting text drop is guaranteed.

60283031.jpg

Yo NJClaw does that gets you a banned from online features including coop?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Halfway through Strong now and it's getting to that point where Nioh stops being interesting for me. Once you have to start farming bosses for texts with that ridiculous drop rate I'm dropping out. Not my jam at all.

Still tho, this is p. much the perfect aRPG. There's almost too much good stuff. Loved every second of my NG run, except for Okasabe and Uminyudo, fuck those fights. Ten out of fucking ten.

Although I know some people do do it, there absolutely is no point where you 'have' to start farming bosses for texts. All the forging becomes pretty much redundant once you hit Dream of the Wise and unlock graces and the set bonuses before that are useful but by no means necessary to advance. The absolute main thing is keeping your main weapon stat maxed and keeping it up with the + numbers through soul matching. Plus learning how to use your Yokai abilities properly of course.

If you're not enjoying the farming, just play the side missions and the main missions you like and then beeline to Otakemaru in the last mission. I'd advise doing that especially in the second difficulty because really, that's a bit of a waste of time. Not very hard, no gear you'll hang onto, just blast through it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Halfway through Strong now and it's getting to that point where Nioh stops being interesting for me.
That's why you should rush to wise. Second and third difficulties are not that different from first.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Halfway through Strong now and it's getting to that point where Nioh stops being interesting for me.
That's why you should rush to wise. Second and third difficulties are not that different from first.

And what would you do in Wise without a huge stash of gold, amrita and mats accumulated in previous tiers to craft, temper and soul match shit? I've always assumed if you just sprint through Strong and Demon you find yourself in Wise bare arsed and thoroughly fucked. Not to mention Demon is already p. rough without good builds, with just random shit picked from the ground.

Reinhardt

Arcane

And what would you do in Wise without a huge stash of gold, amrita and mats accumulated in previous tiers to craft, temper and soul match shit? I've always assumed if you just run through you find yourself in Wise bare assed and thoroughly fucked.
You will have more than enough.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Finished it and I'm glad to be done with it. Not going to bother with DLC. End boss was super easy but fun enough, worst boss by far was Gyuki. They must have added the cyclone skill because I don't remember that when I first played it, it pretty much allowed me to faceroll the rest of the game.

Same problems as the first. Gear grind makes exploration moot, levels are too big, repetitive enemies and side missions, random skeletons hit harder than bosses, not balanced, too many systems. The extra weapons were fun but it made gear grinding even worse, since it's so hard to get anything specced for your build. Getting umbracite is too much of a pain so tempering is mostly pointless too. As a Onmyo switchglaive build you'd think that would be common but I only found 2 armor sets that were good for me, and they only dropped in the last missions. Not interested in farming smithing texts for same reasons others stated. They really should add boss gauntlets in the DLC expressly for text farming.

The extra weapons were fun but it made gear grinding even worse, since it's so hard to get anything specced for your build.
I guess Team Ninja should've done a better job explaining what tempering lucky drop effects does for the facerollers.
Not interested in farming smithing texts for same reasons others stated.
Yeah because they are pretty pointless to farm outside of fashion.
They really should add boss gauntlets in the DLC expressly for text farming.
Almost all bosses are available to be easily farmed in the Underworld/Depths. Seeing as how you dropped the game on the tutorial/easy mode it won't matter though.
As a Onmyo switchglaive build you'd think that would be common but I only found 2 armor sets that were good for me, and they only dropped in the last missions.
There are like 10 generalist sets that are locked behind later difficulties. There isn't even a need to focus on min maxing meta munchkinism until Dream of the Wise/Nioh.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
As someone who loves this game but utterly despises farming, I have no problem with using one of the various cheat programs you can find online. For example, with this one, you just need to activate "max drop rate & item rarity" and your smiting text drop is guaranteed.

It could be in my head, but farming in this game seems much easier than Nioh 1. I've gotten all the smithing txts I've actively tried to get in like 3-4 attempts.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I've finished the main game. When I played Nioh 1 I immediately restarted and kept going and going. This time, there's not much motivating me to replay other than the fact that I have nothing else to play. I'll probably keep going until Nier 1 Remake comes out. However, I'm not terribly motivated to 100% achievement this game.

We'll see, I guess. I'm currently trying to beat all of the Dojo missions for the mystical weapon achievements. This is a pain, but also the most fun part of the game for me because it forces me to learn and use new weapons I haven't tried. Plus, the dojo fights are refreshingly hard, but fair.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I too wasn't a fan of diabloesque parts of Nioh 1-2.

Builds are basically impossible on WotSamurai since you outlevel your equipment almost every hour and soulmatching is too expensive. Exploring the level feels pointless since most of the time the hidden chests will shower you with useless garbage, and the only really valuable things you can find are hair locks.

No idea how any of those core issues can be fixed without completely overhauling the loot system and NG+ cycles.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm still not sold on Splitstaves and switchglaves. Why didn't Team Ninja just add conventional weapons such as Naginata, Nunchaku or Bo?
Switchglaves and splitstaffs are flashy and gay.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Same problems as the first. Gear grind makes exploration moot, levels are too big, repetitive enemies and side missions, random skeletons hit harder than bosses, not balanced, too many systems.

Big levels, skeletons hitting hard and many systems are all pure incline (although I do admit that the poke from skeleton warrior seems to hit way too hard for my taste).

But, repetitive enemies? This game has 49 Yokai types total:
https://www.powerpyx.com/nioh-2-all-types-of-yokai-enemy-locations/

And this doesn't even include humans. Enemy variety was a very fair complaint against first Nioh, but second one is a completely different story.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Same problems as the first. Gear grind makes exploration moot, levels are too big, repetitive enemies and side missions, random skeletons hit harder than bosses, not balanced, too many systems.
But, repetitive enemies? This game has 49 Yokai types total:
https://www.powerpyx.com/nioh-2-all-types-of-yokai-enemy-locations/

And this doesn't even include humans. Enemy variety was a very fair complaint against first Nioh, but second one is a completely different story.
it's just that the game is so long, even this amount of enemies seems repetitive.
Not to mention that you encounter the same yokis and gakis across the whole campaign, while in for example Fromsoft games you meet like five entirely new enemies each time you enter a new location.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
but second one is a completely different story.

I don't think there is a single new enemy for the entire two last regions. I could be wrong, maybe the magatsu warrior, but that's it. It just leaned heavily on ninja yoki and abberrants.

(Not to mention how many enemies are reused from the first game.)

So it lasted a little longer than the first Nioh before recycling everything but it still blew its load before the end.

while in for example Fromsoft games you meet like five entirely new enemies each time you enter a new location.

This is the main issue. In Soulsborne when you meet a skeleton or a knight it is for the most part a skeleton or a knight, and when you leave it behind you don't see it again. You don't encounter level 10 knights and level 20 knights and level 30 knights ad nauseam. The level scaling here is pretty gay as it obscenely pads the game. If the DLC does something insane like replace all the enemies with bosses that might be something, but the prospect of fighting level 200 gaki and skeletons four times to get to the 'good parts' is not exactly an argument in the game's favor. I bet if you forced each level to use five unique enemies and never touch them again it would be much shorter, exactly as challenging, and honestly more fun.

Suicidal

Arcane
The DLCs add like 15 or so new normal enemies and the same amount of bosses distributed over 6 main missions and a few side missions.

Also if we're gonna compare the enemies to dark souls, in dark souls most of the enemies have like 2-3 moves and a lot of them just look differently but still fight very similarly while in Nioh every new demon enemy would be like a boss/miniboss in any other game.

I agree about the fact that the last 2 regions barely have any new enemies, that was pretty lame. They should have kept including at least 1 new big yokai every main mission like they were doing up until that point.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Also if we're gonna compare the enemies to dark souls, in dark souls most of the enemies just look differently but still fight very similarly
honestly TeamNinja should've went this route and made a bunch of palette/skin swaps. Like aberrant soldiers but with different armor and different appendages, rokurobi with different heads, farting darth roxors wearing different types of bathrobe, maybe undead warriors with different weapons (undead warrior with an odachi instead of an axe?), etc. Not too expensive to implement, but would've massively improved the enemy variety situation.

Suicidal

Arcane
Also if we're gonna compare the enemies to dark souls, in dark souls most of the enemies just look differently but still fight very similarly
honestly TeamNinja should've went this route and made a bunch of palette/skin swaps. Like aberrant soldiers but with different armor and different appendages, rokurobi with different heads, farting darth roxors wearing different types of bathrobe, maybe undead warriors with different weapons (undead warrior with an odachi instead of an axe?), etc. Not too expensive to implement, but would've massively improved the enemy variety situation.

They do have that though. There are sword and hammer variants of the one legged smith demons, sword, axe, dual sword and sickle yokis, every human enemy has several weapon variants, the DLCs added aberrant soldiers with blades that shoot shockwaves and crab claws that spew water, etc. Sure there could have been more of that, but for some enemies having a different weapon also gives them a completely different moveset so I wouldn't even call it a simple reskin. Just giving the enemies small visual differences while keeping the same moveset wouldn't do much for me tbh.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Another thing about repetitiveness of enemies is their visual design. Yokai all look similar to each other because of glowing amrita nodes on their bodies.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Builds are basically impossible on WotSamurai since you outlevel your equipment almost every hour and soulmatching is too expensive. Exploring the level feels pointless since most of the time the hidden chests will shower you with useless garbage, and the only really valuable things you can find are hair locks.

No idea how any of those core issues can be fixed without completely overhauling the loot system and NG+ cycles.

Soulmatching using Soul Cores is very cheap, though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not to mention that you encounter the same yokis and gakis across the whole campaign, while in for example Fromsoft games you meet like five entirely new enemies each time you enter a new location.
FromSoft games are a very different ballgame tho, they're p. much traditional RPGs, going for world building, exploration, story and combat in a balanced way.

Nioh is a balls-to-the-wall action RPG, p. much a zoomed-in Diablo. The only point here is the combat and loot. Exploration and story is just there to spice things up. I never had a problem with enemy variety even in the first game, enemies being frequently repeated just gives you more chances to gid gud against them. It's like saying "there are too many mobs in Diablo". Yeah, that's the whole point.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Soulmatching using Soul Cores is very cheap, though.
you can't soulmatch armor or non-corrupted and non-pure weapons that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom