Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
As someone who loves this game but utterly despises farming, I have no problem with using one of the various cheat programs you can find online. For example, with this one, you just need to activate "max drop rate & item rarity" and your smiting text drop is guaranteed.

60283031.jpg

Yo NJClaw does that gets you a banned from online features including coop?

Don't use that program. Suffer like the rest of us and farm Mumyo 130 times for her smithing texts!

Suicidal

Arcane
Not to mention that you encounter the same yokis and gakis across the whole campaign, while in for example Fromsoft games you meet like five entirely new enemies each time you enter a new location.
FromSoft games are a very different ballgame tho, they're p. much traditional RPGs, going for world building, exploration, story and combat in a balanced way.

Nioh is a balls-to-the-wall action RPG, p. much a zoomed-in Diablo. The only point here is the combat and loot. Exploration and story is just there to spice things up. I never had a problem with enemy variety even in the first game, enemies being frequently repeated just gives you more chances to gid gud against them. It's like saying "there are too many mobs in Diablo". Yeah, that's the whole point.

The way Nioh utilizes enemies is, in my opinion, even closer to a traditional arcade beat em up, something like Streets of Rage on Sega, rather than Diablo. In those games, when you play through the levels, you often encounter new enemies in appropriate locations. For example - you enter a bar area and encounter some drunk fat redneck enemy that fights with a broken bottle, or whatever. After that, the game will keep reusing that enemy, sometimes upgrading them with better stats (indicated by a palette swap) in every location. This is exactly how Nioh does it. For example, you first encounter the snake women in a dark watery cave, an appropriate location for this type of mob, the 4-armed demonic warriors are first encountered on a ravaged hellish battlefield, etc. Afterwards, the game will keep spawning them in random locations, no matter how inappropriate. Slimy snake creatures chilling in a burning house? Sure, why not.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Not to mention that you encounter the same yokis and gakis across the whole campaign, while in for example Fromsoft games you meet like five entirely new enemies each time you enter a new location.
FromSoft games are a very different ballgame tho, they're p. much traditional RPGs, going for world building, exploration, story and combat in a balanced way.

Nioh is a balls-to-the-wall action RPG, p. much a zoomed-in Diablo. The only point here is the combat and loot. Exploration and story is just there to spice things up. I never had a problem with enemy variety even in the first game, enemies being frequently repeated just gives you more chances to gid gud against them.
well yeah, but at the same time it would've been cooler to have enemies fit the setting of a current mission. Like in the first Nioh the water level was full of lesser umi-bozus, spider fortress was full of spiders, etc.

It's like saying "there are too many mobs in Diablo". Yeah, that's the whole point.
diablo 2 was introducing newer types of enemies with each new act, while removing the older ones that didn't fit the setting.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Despite the improvements in enemies variety (I think in Nioh 1 I killed 100 times the yoki I slaughtered in Nioh 2), that's still one of the weakest points of the game. Don't get me wrong: the game is still a masterpiece and I will waste hundreds of hours on it, but facing the improved versions of the regular enemies in the DLC (itsumade, kinki, ongyoki, fuki, and suiki) was so refreshing and exciting that I can't stop thinking about how much more fun the game would be if this happened in every region. You don't even need entirely different designs, those are basically just reskins with slightly different movesets.

Oh well, I guess enemies variety will improve even further in Nioh 3. :positive:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Don't use that program.

I already did and I've found some interesting things. For example everyone is saying Daidara drops the Kingo Set but if I farmed him on NG for that I could've spent the rest of my life on him because he doesn't drop Kingo on NG. Same for Benkei - he only drops the text for his armor on NG but not the weapons.

I'm assuming different shit drops on different difficulties so people arguing if it's better to farm on NG (faster but presumably lower drop chances) or NG+ (slower but higher chances) is pointless.

Suicidal

Arcane
facing the improved versions of the regular enemies in the DLC (itsumade, kinki, ongyoki, fuki, and suiki) was so refreshing and exciting that I can't stop thinking about how much more fun the game would be if this happened in every region. You don't even need entirely different designs, those are basically just reskins with slightly different movesets.

I loved those enemies. They were like a regular mob turned into a miniboss variant of itself. I also loved how they were designed in a way to catch you off guard if you think you have mastered the movesets of the enemies they were based on. Like how a regular ass cyclops tries to grab you and when you dodge the grab he just stands looking confused for a few seconds, but when a Kinki fails a grab, he will immediately go for another grab that has a longer range.

fuck it. this shit is harder than half of the bosses in the game.

I only died once to them, they're not that bad :positive:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
This game is like a drug. I tried multiple times to say "ENOUGH" and move on, but I keep coming back to it. The combat flows so naturally and everything is so satisfying it's impossible for me to stop playing it. I'm trying a poison/water/purity build now and shredding through enemies with dual swords combos is too much fun.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Made it to DotN and the Underworld. Surprisingly I actually found DotW quite easy once I started pumping magic up towards 150+. Jumped into the Underworld and made 10 levels just by fighting my way to one Kodama. I'm amazed just how much I'm still enjoying the combat, despite it basically turning into cyclone spam fest interspersed with Ippon Datara bonks. I still don't feel like I've 'got gud' but rather starting to think Switchglaive and Cyclone skill is pretty OP. Doubt I'll clear the depths, constant boss battles will probably wear me out but so far it's still grabbing me and pulling me back in every chance I get.

Really great game and a worthy successor to the first one even if it is just Nioh 1.5.

cruel

Cipher
I'm trying a poison/water/purity build now and shredding through enemies with dual swords combos is too much fun.

That's how I played through both first and second Nioh - hybrid build, light armor, dual swords, mostly low stance infused with fire / lightning / poison. Super fun to play, and not that easy because of poor defenses. It's super satisfying to see those One-Eyed Oni's dying from a single bottle of Blister Poison, or putting Enki / Tengu on fire and watching them burn. Some of the ninja stuff is great for revenants and human enemies - Groundfire lifts people in the air and make them fall on the ground, ready for finishing blow. Playing like this, vs playing a Heavy Armor tank with Axe, is like playing totally two different games.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Maybe I shouldn't be clearing all side missions. I thought I was close to end game but only 1/4 (just killed owl boss)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is this series more like Sekiro or Dark Souls?

I wanted to start Sekiro but i need something with a bit of exploration and roaming, and since i also have Nioh (the first one) at hand i might try the latter instead.

Nioh is one of the "good" Souls-like, right? I also got Lord's of the Fallen at the ready but that has a bad rep. I remember buying it for a few bucks on G2A lmao.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Apart from the weeaboo setting, definitely Dark Souls. But keep in mind that, despite the obvious similarities, Nioh is a completely different game. There's a much bigger emphasis on Diablo-style loot, character builds and customization, and learning to overcome increasingly difficult challenges, while the exploration is almost nonexistent. There are giant levels with secondary paths, but the focus is always on the enemies you encounter while walking towards the boss and the exploration has virtually no reward (apart from the kodama you can collect).

Nioh's strengths are: (a) its intricate combat system with tons of moves that interact with each other (even more so in the second game thanks to the addition of new skills and soul cores) and (b) the number of builds possibilities that stem from the overwhelming amount of available customization options. If you enjoyed the combat and RPG elements of DS, you will most likely enjoy Nioh. The only possible obstacle is the omnipresent Diablo-style loot: if that's not a problem for you, then you will love the game.

I wanted to start Sekiro but i need something with a bit of exploration and roaming, and since i also have Nioh (the first one) at hand i might try the latter instead.
I'd say that there's more exploration in Sekiro (a big sprawling interconnected world, with optional challenges and secret paths) than Nioh (a set of self-contained levels that you select from a menu).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'll go Sekiro first then. Newer game anyway, moar hype, it's From so i know what i'm getting into.

I'll butt out now. I'll fish out the Nioh 1 thread once i get around playing that.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
If you decide to play Sekiro, just don't expect an RPG, because it's not one. Still an incredible game, but stripped-down of all the features that made DS an RPG. Apart from that, the most important thing to do to enjoy it is to play it like it wants to be played and not like DS trained you to do. Which is just a complicated way of saying "attack, block, and counter, don't dodge".

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
NJClaw why are you carrying two kunitomo rifles? Grinding for familiarity?
I just needed two ranged weapons with Benzaiten's Grace:

8H0GpuL.png
Zj60bDh.png
I never use my secondary ranged weapon, and I probably use my main one once every six missions. Basically, I only care about the two graces and Damage Bonus (Agility) on the main one. Last but not least, not carrying a bow allows me to have a character with a cleaner back and that satisfies my ill-concealed autism.

Also, on an unrelated note, two of the parrying skills of dual swords are absolutely broken (The Shrike and Punish the Proud, a boss skill dropped by the lightning elephant human boss). They don't do anything special, but their time window to get the parry right is obscene. With The Shrike you still need to press triangle when you see the attack animation, but with Punish the Proud you just press square and enter an invulnerable stance that lets you parry any standard attack. It's ridiculous, there's no timing involved.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
What framerate are you getting? I read that there was a bug where her attacks were tied to fps to some degree and if it was set at 120 she attacked twice as much as she was supposed to. Not sure if that's been fixed yet or not, but if you're on 120 maybe drop it down to 60 to see what she's like.

ARE YOU F... AAARRRGH. I think this is it. I have been playing on 120 FPS.

Jesus tapdancing christ, I couldn't understand how people could even solo this fight, she had barely any fucking downtime, goddamn lasers slicing me constantly and homing balls flying . Also when I watched some Tubers I thought they're having it suspiciously easy, she attacked like once in a blue moon. I'm not redoing the mission now just to check but I sure as hell will remember that for DotSt.

Btw here's some explanation, for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/m0lr2o/lady_osakabe_is_bugged_at_120hz_and_attacks_much/
Exq55OCXMAEuE7A

Suicidal

Arcane
I made it to the third difficulty (Dream of the Demon) and while the second one was mostly the same as the first other than divine gear, scrolls and everything having higher stats, the third one already has many apparent differences. I especially like the fact that bosses now have different burst attack timings and combos so I can't beat them through muscle memory alone.

The only thing I don't like is that everything is so tanky now, but that's understandable since this is the third new game cycle and I haven't been upgrading my gear since I've finished the main campaign. Does anyone have any tips for quickly boosting your damage. Is there more to it specific to higher difficulties than just upgrading your divine weapon to +10?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom