Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Is this game better than Nier Aut?

Suicidal

Arcane
Is this game better than Nier Aut?

Not really comparable. This game is like 90% combat and 10% min maxing gear. Story is minimal and unimportant. But the combat is really good. Both Nier and Nioh are great for different reasons.

Suicidal

Arcane
Ok I take back what I said about the port. It sucks ass. The game sometimes randomly crashes and because it only saves when you pray at a shrine (as opposed to saving all the time like in Dark Souls) it's possible to lose a lot of progress. Especially annoying when it happens after you find a really strong item or defeat a high level revenant that gives more than a level's worth of xp.

Urbanolo

Augur
Ok I take back what I said about the port. It sucks ass. The game sometimes randomly crashes and because it only saves when you pray at a shrine (as opposed to saving all the time like in Dark Souls) it's possible to lose a lot of progress. Especially annoying when it happens after you find a really strong item or defeat a high level revenant that gives more than a level's worth of xp.

Never crashed for me in 60 hours of gameplay.

Suicidal

Arcane

Yeah I know that it won't happen for everyone and the port may not be fully to blame, but I've read the steam forums and there are a lot of people complaining about this and it's the only game I've played in a long time which is crashing on me. It's just random.

On another note, is there a battle in the game more difficult than the final room in the bathouse sidequest, where you fight a birdman and a mummy at the same time? Holy shit that fight was pure cancer. Getting hit by the mummy's slow basically means death. If both mobs hit you at the same time, you die. Sometimes the birdman just oneshots you by himself. I think it was harder for me than it's supposed to be because I didn't have any purification arrows on me, which are an easy way to dispose of the mummy, but still. I think I died on this part more times than on anything else in the entire game so far.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Yeah I know that it won't happen for everyone and the port may not be fully to blame, but I've read the steam forums and there are a lot of people complaining about this and it's the only game I've played in a long time which is crashing on me. It's just random.

On another note, is there a battle in the game more difficult than the final room in the bathouse sidequest, where you fight a birdman and a mummy at the same time? Holy shit that fight was pure cancer. Getting hit by the mummy's slow basically means death. If both mobs hit you at the same time, you die. Sometimes the birdman just oneshots you by himself. I think it was harder for me than it's supposed to be because I didn't have any purification arrows on me, which are an easy way to dispose of the mummy, but still. I think I died on this part more times than on anything else in the entire game so far.

Dude, do you even Living Weapon? Took me a while to even remember which fight that was because I LW'ed it to kill the mummy and then did it without breaking sweat.

Do you know you can use the little amrita crystals to charge up your LW gauge if you've died and it's empty?

Suicidal

Arcane

Dude, do you even Living Weapon? Took me a while to even remember which fight that was because I LW'ed it to kill the mummy and then did it without breaking sweat.

Do you know you can use the little amrita crystals to charge up your LW gauge if you've died and it's empty?

I actually didn't know that. But I feel dirty every time I have to resort to living weapon to beat some part.

Jinn

Arcane
I actually didn't know that. But I feel dirty every time I have to resort to living weapon to beat some part.

I feel like there are some builds where Living Weapon isn't quite so cheesy, like fast builds for example. If you're playing a heavy warrior, it probably is a little cheat button-ish.

jungl

Augur
My complaint is the feel of the fights after NG. You feel like a bum getting in 1-2 hits in in low or high stance and turtling. While these bosses movesets are fast as fuck and wreck you in a few hits. Its like you tank controls resident evil 1 character vs the later resident evil action game controls characters.

jungl

Augur
Its not the difficulty its how the fights play out. Youtube post game fights all fights revolve around turtling and getting in 1-2 hits. Your dude feels like a bum. Sure you can grind levels and +10 divine gear where you instant gib bosses and it easier then the base game but regardless your dude feels like a bum with the bosses post game with their infinite ki and crazy movesets.

cruel

Cipher
I don't get this. I had no issues with Yuki Onna, Nue, etc. Been playing 2 days ago, tired after work and barely able to keep up, started fighting Ishida - 3 tries, almost got him once (maybe 3 tries left). Decided I will easily finish him next day.

Then, yesterday - 20+ tries and not even close. And all of this with the clear idea that he's not even that hard :| For some reason always, at some moment, he became so aggressive that I felt into one of his hits, and most of the time this is enough for KO. First hit hits, trying to block second one, the consecutive ones are coming so fast I'm not able to block and either die from damage or run out of Ki. This is sooooo annoying for me in this game, that since Umi Bozu almost every Boss has this 'get hit once, you die' mechanic. It's surely possible that I just suck and cannot time hit/block/dodge properly, but still. I don't work to revert to heavy armor after 103h of playing as a light build, but maybe will try another playthrough for that.

I finally resorted to using Sloth on him, instant win. Unfortunately zero satisfaction and now I feel bad.

Then, you see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJm_gniPSg

And it makes you feel even worse.

Suicidal

Arcane
I don't get this. I had no issues with Yuki Onna, Nue, etc. Been playing 2 days ago, tired after work and barely able to keep up, started fighting Ishida - 3 tries, almost got him once (maybe 3 tries left). Decided I will easily finish him next day.

Then, yesterday - 20+ tries and not even close. .

What's even worse is finally killing him after 10-15 attempts (I think this is one of the harder bosses if you don't use living weapon or the overpowered slowing magic) only to have your game freeze during the cutscene after the fight :D

In other news, I've finished the game. Well, the main quest at least - I know there's still a lot of optional and post-game content to do + I want to try the higher difficulties. Final level was cool as fuck (at least when my companions' AI wasn't bugging out causing them to get stuck in walls and even open spaces) - it reminded me of those old arcade beat'em up final levels where you'd go through a huge horde of normal enemies and then fight all the old bosses one by one and then reach the main bad guy. Overall my evaluation remains the same - game is great and I had (and will still have) a lot of fun with it, but the closer I got to the end the more its issues became apparent. I think the game's biggest flaws are the variety of normal enemies and its insistence on recycling maps and bosses you've already beaten.

The regular enemies are very well designed and pose a lot of threat to you at all times but already by mid-game you've pretty much seen everything you're going to encounter. The normal human opponents remain more or less the same throughout the entire game with some new types occasionally, like the dual pistol assassins. As for the demons, after the halfway point it's pretty much birdman, monk, horned demon, cyclops, birdman, monk, horned demon, cyclops with the occasional mummy (most annoying mobs in the game IMO). I think after the halfway you encounter only 2 completely new enemies - the foxes, which appear only 3 or 4 missions and the blood blobs, which appear in only one. A slightly larger variety of enemies would be most welcome, like a new one every couple of levels would be good enough.

Still, I really enjoyed it and I think the people calling it an "uninspired Dark Souls ripoff" (I've seen this insult towards Nioh in many places) are out of their fucking minds. It's more like Dark Souls + Diablo + Bushido Blade + old arcade-style beat'em up.

cruel

Cipher
Yeah, the game is much more than Dark Souls clone. Still a worse game IMO, but again, 99% of what's there is worse than Souls. Better enemy variety, better level design and i would rate it +1 points probably. But still very enjoyable game.

BTW, I got annoyed with not knowing some mechanics and found nice guide. Pasting here, maybe it will be useful to somebody also:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...pTeeJCYI_RxMA0/preview#heading=h.5wjq0wf1xyuh

This was taken from: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/72y58k/the_handy_nioh_guide_now_with_a_section_on_the/

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I find the birdmen really hard. They are harder to me than some bosses. I always have to kill them with my ninjitsu, which wastes ninjitsu, as I haven't found a way to reliably kill them in melee without taking a lot of damage or dying. They have that annoying sweep kick move that's hard to avoid. I'm still in NG, but the most difficult battles for me are when a birdman spawns with either another birdman or other enemies.

The other impossible common enemy is the larger goblin looking dudes with the kusarigamas. They have that kusarigama sweep move that's hard to avoid and always one shots me. Plus, they have insane range.

At the same time, I think I've played the souls games way too much as I always find that my instinct is to roll dodge everything, whereas block works way better in this game than it does in Souls (where you will typically take damage from blocking unless using specific shields). I have to consciously remind myself to block, but I still find myself playing for many hours and thinking at some point, "oh wait, I can block."

Hyperion

Arcane
It's definitely more Ninja Gaiden than Dark Souls with regards to blocking. As for the Raven Tengus, I find baiting out the Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to work best because it has an obvious wind up motion that you can dodge, and then counter. You need to be very cognizant of his next action because the horizontal staff smack comes WAY too quickly after a previous attack compared to everything else he can do, and is his strongest attack, to my knowledge.

In short, wait for the roundhouse kick, back out, charge an Iai strike or other single, hard hit attacks, go back on the defensive, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
For some reason always, at some moment, he became so aggressive that I felt into one of his hits, and most of the time this is enough for KO. First hit hits, trying to block second one, the consecutive ones are coming so fast I'm not able to block and either die from damage or run out of Ki. This is sooooo annoying for me in this game, that since Umi Bozu almost every Boss has this 'get hit once, you die' mechanic.
Umibozu's only attack that was supposed to kill you in one shot was that yellow energy beam thing. Ishida is ok as long as he doesn't spam his grab attacks that are capable of killing your LW.
It sounds like you're just falling behind on the gear/stats curve. You're supposed to die to a boss until you eventually figure out a way to kill him cleanly yet if you're getting oneshot like that you don't really have the required experimentation room to get there. Might feel cheap but consider killing player ghosts for their likely superior gear.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Holy fuck, this game gets hard in post game.

I've been trying to do the level 155 sub-levels where you fight either waves of enemies, bosses, or combinations of bosses. I actually find the boss combos and waves to be easy, it's the waves of enemies/human boss combos that are difficult. I seriously don't think my build is capable of beating the 2 dojo ninja bosses combined (hatori honzo and the chick), for example. They wipe me in the first 30 seconds every time. Often before I can get a hit in. I'm realizing that I've relied too heavily on ninjitsu to get through the main game, so I kind of suck at the bread and butter mechanics of melee combat.

Anyhow, I started the DLC now, which seems significantly easier than NG+ or the remainder of the sub-missions I can't beat yet.

In other news, I literally just now realized that your reputation points can be spent on upgrades. I had a whole slew of them just piled up from playing, but I would never have known that you could buy upgrades with them if I hadn't read so in a random guide on the internet. I added a ton to ninjitsu power, health, and living weapon durability and I can actually feel the difference.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Got this game for xmas.

Gr8 combat, hilariously bad story and cringy characters. Good thing I care a lot more about the former...

And the quest design? Jesus, fuck. I lost count of how many lost swords I recovered and I'm only like 25% in. I'm not even bothering to read the text anymore, it's just really fucking dumb. On the plus side, I'm looking forward to trying another build as soon as I get some unique/top notch Dual Sword + matching armor. I'm currently using Warrior of the West + Katana (me and everyone else, apparently).

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Yeah, so I got gud.....or just over-leveled, I don't know, but I've now beaten the entirety of the main, side, and dojo missions of NG. I'm also pretty far along in the DLC, have done the first 3 areas of NG+, and a level 285 twilight mission. Plus, I got all of the mystic arts to satisfy my achievement OCD.

I just respeced and it's been working well for me:

Body: 20
Heart: 20
Stamina: 6
Strength: 6
Skill: 20
Dexterity: 70
Magic: 20
Spirit: 35

I still love ninjitsu. It makes the more difficult boss fights really fun because they tend to last about 30 seconds, with either myself or the boss going down really quickly. Basically, my build is all about maxing the damage of throwing blades. So all of my item effects are chosen with that consideration in mind. I have A scaling Agility (which affects throwable damage), A scaling ninjitsu (which I've read only has 5% damage increase, so it's kind of shit....would trade for higher throwable damage), and items that increase damages on throwables. On top of this, I also have the passive samauri skills that increase thrusting damage (which affects throwables), increases to damage from behind, and increases to damage when the enemy has 100% health bar. The later is kind of pointless for melee, but the damage increase is huge enough that I can one shot many annoying enemies with just a shrunken. The increases in damage from behind is especially awesome, as it's nearly double damage in most cases. So my strategy for most of the large, monster, bosses involves getting behind them and throwing kunari in their backs.

All that said, I was having way more problems when I had all of my skill points in Dex and Skill. The game got way easier when I started to add to body, heart, and spirit. My fastest ninjitsu will often only bring a boss's health down to 1/4 before I run out of blades, so having a more durable living weapon to switch to after that totally helps, especially since I have the spirit guides who partially restore ninjitsu upon exit of living weapon.

Anyhow, I love how this game forces me to think hard about my stats and gear to succeed. So I'm sure this build will be rendered unviable shortly, but that's the fun of having reincarnation books.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Congrats on beating the game, I hope you're ready for more butthurt in the next NG+'s since that's where Team Ninja really let loose with the bullshit. (level 900++ missions baby)

So I'm sure this build will be rendered unviable shortly

Ninjutsu builds are still pretty good on Way of the Nioh even with all the projectile resistances, defense red buff and stuff. I believe you can do 20-30k per throw without x2 procs (not too sure, I think it should be higher since I only briefly tried throwing build) which is nothing to scoff at, along with your unlimited ninjutsu procs which makes you go pewpew all day.

Compared to a futsunishi build (could do 150k per Iai up to 500k++ on my build on WotN bosses without weakness) which is pretty fucking hard to farm, a ninjutsu build is much easier to gear especially in the higher levels. Unlimited ninjutsu affixes are especially common when reforging along with the x2 damage on gloves (either this or firearms reduction for inheriting to the rest of your gear) making it one of the safer, less grindier builds to get.

You can get by without ethereal sets and a whole deal of weapon eth/div +'s.

Suicidal

Arcane
Playing through the DLC now.

I like that they upped the challenge on it compared to the base game but I think they got a little carried away with the oneshot mechanics.

I like that there are oneshot attacks in this game because they keep you on your toes and most of the time they make sense. If some giant monster raises his weapon above his head and then smashes it on the ground with a giant shockwave then of course this attack should be able to oneshot you and usually you have enough time to circle around the dude and combo his ass for a lot of damage yourself.

But in the DLC instant death attacks become much more frequent and some of them really don't feel like they should kill me instantly. For example:

The 1st boss (the centipede guy) has 2 attacks that killed me instantly from full HP. The first is his grab, which makes sense - it has a pretty long wind up time and you can see the black shit gathering up at his centipede hand, so all the "move out of the way, retard" signs are there. But the second one is the little sword slash he does after using his centipede arm to quickly skitter towards you. That one makes zero sense. It happens way too suddenly, it doesn't look very powerful and I think I died to that attack more times than to anything else he does. I don't think that I'm underleveled or undergeared - none of his other attacks oneshot me and I'm not having too much trouble going through the regular enemies (even the giant machete/cleaver guys which are a bitch and a half).

Then there is Date - his lunge oneshots me. It makes sense from how the move looks - dude literally drives a sword through your gut - but it happens so fucking fast you barely have time to react. In his first form you can just keep your distance and more often than not he's gonna stop a few meters in front of you. But when he enters his wind phase the dash gains unlimited range, so either you dodge at the exact perfect frame of animation (just running fast sideways doesn't work, I tested, neither does spamming the dodge button like in Dark Souls) or position yourself behind one of the wooden pillars or you're instantly killed. All of his other attacks do manageable damage.

Maria is the worst one, though. Her fucking grab oneshots me. First of all, it doesn't make sense - she just grabs you and kicks you in the head. Somehow this is more lethal than getting stabbed, burned alive or shot with a cannon ball. Secondly, there's barely any warning time when she does it and she can do it WHILE YOU ARE ATTACKING HER and if that's the case you don't even see that little animation where she moves her hand to execute that move. I'm just standing here slashing her and suddenly I get grabbed and kicked in the head and now I'm dead. And again, nothing else she does kills me in one hit, just that one move.

I guess this is what I get for complaining that the game lacked challenge but this feels like an oversight on the part of the developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom