Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Latelistener

Arcane
I have played this game extensively during winter. Unfortunately, that 61/100 on Metacritic is the real score at the moment. Whatever was on release was an abomination presentation-wise. Can't imagine anyone paying $60 for that.

Visuals are actually great. It looks nice. That's probably the best thing about it. The real issue is that they seem to be adding "cool" features from other popular games without any meaning or reason and don't even improve it. Fleets are okay, but other than that..

For example, you can manage a settlement, but it doesn't give you anything worthwhile. You can mine resources, but you cannot actually make any production chains and have to do everything with your hands.

Everything in this game is pointless and unrewarding and even the best way to make money is by shooting at the bottom of the oceans / seas. Side quests? Trading? Nope. Just shoot the oceans.

Also, despite still being in development after 7 years there is not much in terms of variety. Planets start becoming samey very quickly, same as animals and most of them still look ugly. Also, there is bugs galore.

I think I played it last when they had added settlements. You had to be physically present in the settlement to take decisions regarding it and you had to check on it regularly, which defeats the purpose of having an open space exploration game...

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
I have played this game extensively during winter. Unfortunately, that 61/100 on Metacritic is the real score at the moment. Whatever was on release was an abomination presentation-wise. Can't imagine anyone paying $60 for that.

Visuals are actually great. It looks nice. That's probably the best thing about it. The real issue is that they seem to be adding "cool" features from other popular games without any meaning or reason and don't even improve it. Fleets are okay, but other than that..

For example, you can manage a settlement, but it doesn't give you anything worthwhile. You can mine resources, but you cannot actually make any production chains and have to do everything with your hands.

Everything in this game is pointless and unrewarding and even the best way to make money is by shooting at the bottom of the oceans / seas. Side quests? Trading? Nope. Just shoot the oceans.

Also, despite still being in development after 7 years there is not much in terms of variety. Planets start becoming samey very quickly, same as animals and most of them still look ugly. Also, there is bugs galore.
Yeah pretty much. It can be fun in multiplayer though just fucking around.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's robots.
https://www.nomanssky.com/echoes-update/

ECHOES: INTRODUCING UPDATE 4.4​

Meet a secret society of robotic aliens in update 4.4, ECHOES! Furthering the narrative introduced in INTERCEPTOR, explore the mysteries of the Autophage, perform their rituals, learn their language, and assemble your own ceremonial staff. In deep space, confront huge outlaw dreadnoughts, sweep through their trenches and destroy vulnerable components in new tactical space combat – and much more!

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
New update! No Man's Sky: Voyagers.

Hello Everyone!

One week ago, we released ECHOES, our largest update of 2023. The team has put a lot of love into this release, and the community response has been incredible – it has been so exciting to see players meeting the Autophage, building their own Voltaic Staff, engaging in space combat with the new outlaw Dreadnought ships, and utilising the Wonder Projector in entertaining and unexpected ways!

Today, we are launching Voyagers, our eleventh community expedition for No Man’s Sky. Voyagers is a relaxing journey of exploration, encouraging Travellers to seek out remarkable worlds, reach planetary summits and oceanbeds, and catalogue their findings.

Generic4k-30.jpg

Travellers will begin the expedition aboard their freighter in the Oishida system, ready to deploy their ship into space. Plot a route through the stars to discover exotic creatures, venture to extreme worlds, excavate ancient treasures, dive through a black hole, and much more!

Special1.Expedition.Decal11.Trim_.png

After completing Voyagers, or when the expedition concludes, you will have the option to convert your progress to a Normal Mode save.

The exclusive rewards detailed below are registered at the Space Anomaly’s Quicksilver Synthesis Companion, and any earnt rewards may be redeemed across all save games.

The Voyagers expedition begins today, and will run for approximately two months.

Voyagers Rewards

Electric Jetpack Trail
An exclusive Exosuit Appearance Override for the Jetpack. Humidifiers discharge a highly salinated mist from the rocket nozzles, conducting a dramatic streak of electricity during Jetpack operation.

Voyage-Themed Posters
Adorn your base with these Navigators, Anomalous Wonder and Open Horizons posters – celebrating those who push at the boundaries of reality, those in search of the next unknown sky, and the sheer anomaly of existence…

Posters_1-700x353.png

Mechanical Paw
An exclusive Companion Appearance Enhancement. This biomechanical remnant is a constant reminder of the many and diverse forms that existence can take.

Special1.Expedition.PetCustom11.Trim_-700x333.png

Construct Base Ornaments
This set of exclusive buildable base ornaments includes a makeshift planetary shelter, a detailed replica of an Autophage facial cage, and a partially assembled robotic hand. Please note that the units contain no trace of Autophage entity inhabitation…

BaseParts-700x353.png

HoverDroid Companion
This Robotic Spawn Capsule will hatch a mechanical HoverDroid companion. A low hum resonates from deep within the capsule, its dissonant frequency turning the air around it a faint purple.

Special1.HoverBotPet-700x700.png

Thank you for playing Voyagers, and we look forward to sharing more news with you soon.

Our journey continues.

Sean

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

No Man's Sky is enjoying its 'biggest month in the last few years', coinciding with the launch of Starfield

No Man's Sky robot

(Image credit: Hello Games)

No Man's Sky has been spitting out cosmic adventures for seven years and, despite not meeting expectations at launch, has evolved into an incredibly varied sandbox thanks to Hello Games' fantastic post-launch support. With free, expansion-sized updates coming out every year, it keeps beckoning players back.

This month, according to Hello Games founder Sean Murray, is actually its "biggest" in the last few years, despite competition from the long-awaited Starfield, another sandbox that ticks a lot of the same boxes.

This is across all platforms, says Murray, but on Steam alone it's had its best month since September 2021, and one of its best months overall. It's quite the achievement for a game of this age. It's worth noting that its largest update of the year arrived in late August, followed by a new Expedition at the start of this month, so both of these things are major contributing factors.

A narrative is already forming that this boost is due to disappointed Starfield players migrating over to No Man's Sky, but there isn't much to back that up aside from some anecdotal claims from Starfield's detractors. With a launch the scale of Starfield's, it's common for games with similar features to see a bump as they benefit from the increased visibility. A lot of comparisons have been made between the two, so it's only natural that lapsed players will jump back in, while new ones decide to see what all the fuss is about.

That said, there are undoubtedly some players who haven't gelled with Starfield who are now seeking their space kicks in No Man's Sky. I'm among them. While No Man's Sky doesn't have the type of hand-crafted RPG stories Starfield boasts, both games tout a multitude of worlds waiting to be explored, and when it comes to that aspect No Man's Sky is hands down the stronger game.

It's also had the benefit of seven years of post-launch support, of course. So many of the things that I enjoy about No Man's Sky, from the flexible base building to the vehicles to the fleets did not exist at launch, and while the sandbox exploration of its galaxy has always been better than what Starfield offers, if we compare both games at launch, I've got to admit that Starfield is overall in a better position.

What this really shows is that, reassuringly, space is big enough for more than one massive cosmic sandbox. Starfield might be the biggest launch of the year, a game that every site, including PCG, is covering extensively every day, but that doesn't mean there aren't interesting things happening in other games, or lots of players still enjoying them.

It's not that odd however as everybody keeps comparing Starfield to No Man's Sky over and over again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I own and have played No Man's Sky, and in watching the Starfield videos it has WAY more exploration and at least does not have all those massive and excessive loading times just to simply explore a planet in Starfield. That is just over the top ridiculous. :lol:

It's not much of an RPG though but it does do the exploratory element far better.

No Man's Sky has received more love and care than any Bethesda game has ever received from its devs, regardless of quality. And you only had to pay once. As I said you might hate the game's content but it already has had like a dozen free expansions.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Out of curiosity, is anyone still currently playing this? I actually did have a fun time with this, I just found it a fun time killer. I DID have to stop playing due to several (and some game-stopping) issues. Have any of these been fixed yet?

• Reached the center of a galaxy, and no option to select the core to move to the next galaxy will appear while having 100% full Warp Drive on my Starship, and having the Galaxy Core selection showing.
  • While on your freighter, there's occasionally these invisible walls that will block your way into your command center where you can enter and speak to the NPC that will assign frigate missions. You sometimes can jump over these (is this broken walkmesh?) but you also can then fall into your freighter and are then stuck. If you fall into your ship, you then are in a blocked state where you now cannot do anything and will lose all progression.
  • Points where you need to find a building that are randomly generated on a planet, would sometimes appear IN the water and you could not access them.
This is basically the reason I had to stop playing. It IS entirely possibly I just have a shit computer and this is on my end though. I do exceed the minimum requirements and do have a SSD.

Last edited:
i forgot how retarded the process of learning alien languages is. you're supposed to inquire 4-5 times the same npc to learn more words... but what for? i still have no idea. this is pretty much the forma mentis behind every activity: why do you do this? no idea. anything you can do, it's just for the sake of doing it.

Last edited:
i hurt myself today, to see if i still feel.
so many new bugs, and they're all devastating. like the one which turns all the shielded flying enemies invincible. i also especially love how it's been turned into a stuttering simulator. even with all the graphics turned to the last century, i spend most of the time watching a frozen screen, it runs 10 times worse than the last time i tried it some years ago.

i know. i enjoy the dream of it. but with the invincible enemies it is completely unplayable. such a gamebreaking bug shouldn't appear in an alpha, let alone after a decade of development. and even then, it should be addressed and patched in ZERO seconds. instead it's being covered up. there're no bugs in ba-sing-se.

flushfire

Augur
So apparently this is getting another update, and I saw someone fighting the usual "hello games redeemed themselves" narrative, saying despite the numerous updates it still is not the game that was initially promised. As usual there was nothing of substance to both sides, just generalizations and insults. While I'm inclined to believe the negative opinion, has nothing major really been added to the core gameplay after all these years? It's all just more "content"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom