Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Not-Ultima Online 2: Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter is Live

Rumsfeld

Scholar
At 500$ a house, the village house, up to 3000$ to get the city one, anyone doubts this will include microtransactions ?
Macrotransactions instead of microtransactions.

Mortmal

Arcane
At 500$ a house, the village house, up to 3000$ to get the city one, anyone doubts this will include microtransactions ?
Macrotransactions instead of microtransactions.

No macrotransaction will be a privilege , for early backers only , remember how priviledged you are when his highness accept your flithy commoner money, at 10K$ you can shake his hands..

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ultima Online: Redux.... No thank you.... end of line....

:keepmymoney:

The combat also looked like a lot of Button-Smashing and as mentioned, the dialogue was extremely simplistic. Way too many MMO features mentioned with almost no time explaining the so-called single-player component. I even tried to keep an open mind but once again like Thief, this really disappoints. Especially after T:ToN the last few days.

Stabwound

Arcane
Interesting, this world apparently is more of a futuristic version of the "Lord British" world featuring things like rail guns and electric power in towns. Kind of steampunkish. That sounds kind if intriguing, actually.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I pledged $25 for now, will keep a close watch at the info that comes my way during the next month. If it turns out as terribad as I fear, I'll cancel the pledge before the time's up.

I did really love the single-player Ultima games, and I'm desperately hoping this will recapture some of that. I'm naïve that way.. :roll:

Snerf

Learned
Back in junior high, I loved Ultima Online. Never played a single player Ultima game, but loved the brutal item-looting non-consensual pvp (griefing) and wild west atmosphere (griefing).

But some kind of watered down psuedo-mmo with sissy pvp and a bland, lumpy single player component?

Yeah, I feel nothing.

Micmu

Magister
I feel murderous hate.

Fuck this piece of shit straight in the ass.
Why doesn't he go to space again and die there in the vacuum?
Earth's too good for his piece of shit rotting excrements.

Ehon Asko

Novice
Well I decided to pledge 10$. Now my gaming sins will be forgiven next year by Lord British so I can pirate as much as I like.

Indranys

Savant
What? Pledging your half-ass single player + MMO game?
This is madness Richard.
I'll play Teudogar and wait for DARGHUL remake instead. :obviously:

The pace of the funding has slowed down already. If this one makes it, I think it'll be barely.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't think it will have a problem making it's goal. But maybe not much more than than that.

made

Arcane
H0pUi8u.jpg

Just no.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still don't get why he is kickstarting this thing. Isn't he, like, rich? He went into space as a tourist, FFS. One million dollars should not be a problem and he could keep all the profits to himself.

You don't need this money, Lord British. Go away!

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Most rich people like to hang on to their millions and rather spend other people's money.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not sure what to make of this. I was expecting either an old-school single-player RPG or a spiritual sequel to Ultima Online - either of which I would've been excited about. I guess this is kind of trying to be a watered-down version of both at the same time? I'm not really feeling it at this point, to be honest.

If LB is hell-bent on continuing with the multiplayer/social thing, as he seems to be, I'd rather he go straight up UO with meaningful PVP (FFA and full looting), but that doesn't seem to be the case here. The NPC interaction shown in the video didn't seem all that impressive, either.

I did reserve one of those early-bird pledges just in case, but the onus is still on LB to impress me with the updates, lest I cancel. There's no doubt this will get funded easily, though.

Stabwound

Arcane
So apparently the combat is more in-depth than it appears. It uses some sort of "card based system" where you pick skills you want available before you enter the combat from the pool you have available. They also say that this is one of the areas they're hoping for community feedback for. Suggest turn-based, plz. :smug:

He also said he dislikes Diablo style click-click-click combat as well as traditional MMORPG combat where you just stand there and spam abilities. So that's tiny incline, anyway. LB seems to have some kind of bro-ism left in his brain somewhere with those comments and the disparaging comments about quest markers/logs/bs.

I dunno. This could possibly end up being good for what it is, ultimately. :smug:

Keldryn

Arcane
The Kickstarter page does a poor job of emphasizing that Shroud of the Avatar is intended to be a primarily story-driven, single-player game experience.

It's definitely not an MMO, nor is it Ultima Online 2. It is not subscription-based. There will be a free trial version which you can install and explore the world, but you need to buy the game in order to advance on the skill trees.

As it currently stands, the game will install to your PC and you can play it entirely offline as a "story-based, classic Ultima-style, virtual world, sandbox game." There is no centralized server that hosts a world that you log into, and the current intent is that you never actually have to even connect to the internet other than to apply patches and updated content.

There is a persistent world aspect in the towns and settlements of the game, which is impacted by all players. When another player sets up a shop in a town, it will appear in everyone's game world, and you can interact with his shopkeeper. When you go online, the persistent world will update.

You designate who your real-life friends are, and once designated as such, you can see them in the game world and interact with them.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. I hate MMOs with a passion, but the idea of being able to play parts of the game with a small number of real-life friends is somewhat appealing. I'm not sure how I feel about the persistent world being affected by the other players of the game, as players with more limited playing time (like me) can get locked out the opportunity.

Ultima VII was pretty much the last game that Garriott made without corporate meddling. I am very interested in seeing what he is able to accomplish without having to answer to executives. Ultima IV through VII Part 2 were influential enough for me to warrant a $25 pledge.

A user named cat

I've never in my life played an MMO, crazily enough, and never plan to either. Way more interesting games on the horizon.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I'll be way too busy struggling against Cleve's inner psyche in Grimoire to be playing this shit.

I'll probably still buy it, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom