Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review NWN Review

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
As for the Aurora toolset yes its cool but

Consider this .

You have 2 kind of painting tools

The hard one that rquire 6 months to master like Arcanum worlded and scriptmonkey and several mes filles.

The easy ones Aurora toolset 1 day to master.

So now you know how to use the pencils you but you know what ?

You still have to paint.

1500 modules to date .

Right .

Mayby 2 or 3 out of these 1500 are NOT crapware.

By making the engine so easy you allow ppl that have no idea about.

a) Balance
b) Story ( a rpg is like a story book with death stopping you from turning the pages quicly)
c) Intention to make dialogues or quests that could take months.

Instead 95 % of these modules are

a 15 year old discoves he can make a module

Put some areas some generic npc and then the uber equipment and a big number of " uber cool" monsters at random locations.

Find some cool name for the module and without playtesting with different chars he releases that "module" on the net.

Of course out of those 1500 modules about 50 are basically passablle hack and slash modules with balance from playtesting and mayby 5 are really good with quests and attention to detail .

This 1500 number announced by the all supportive bioware reminds me of "creative" numbers cooking.

Now in my opinion if Troika was as supportive in the modding thing as Bioware is then even with the crappy Arcanum tools we could have great mods.

With the difference of course that Arcanum module is much much better than the crappy NWN official campaing.

I hope that Lionheart support mods .

My god the velocity engine used supports run time execution of the editor .
You can actually change something witrh the editor and press a button and playtest it.

I wish i had that on Arcanum .

It would be incredible.

Anonymous

Saint_Proverbius said:
Um.. TeamFortress was originally for Quake.

Bah! I forgot how picky some people are when you mix up TF and TFC or Action Quake or Action Half-Life.... :wink:

- Evil Homer

Anonymous

Sheriff_Fatman said:
Homer, I agree with a lot of the stuff in your post, but I think your shot yourself in the foot. Putting DS forward as an RPG, let alone the second most significant one recently, has probably destroyed your credibility with the users here.

Well yeah, Dungeon Siege (nor Diablo/DiabloII) isn't exactly an RPG per se, but it was the big, highly anticipated, full of hype fantasy MP game at the time. And what I was playing before I got into NWN. Plus they both had editors to use to make your own adventures/dungeon crawls. Hence the comparison.

I never played Morrowind, but considering that it is SP only, you can't fully compare it to NWN or DS, unless you ONLY compare the SP parts. Then obviously Morrowind is the winner. I think there was another Might & Magic released, but from what I heard, it was really subpar in gfx, gameplay, ui, etc.

Were there any other games I missed that were released this year that would be an alternative to NWN/DS?

- Evil Homer

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
Divine Divinity, maybe, although that wasn't a full-on RPG either.

Don't forget Morrowind incuded an editor. Even though the game vendor admitted they were just thrown in "as is" from what the dev team used, I think people are trying to do some nifty things with them.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Anonymous said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
Um.. TeamFortress was originally for Quake.

Bah! I forgot how picky some people are when you mix up TF and TFC or Action Quake or Action Half-Life.... :wink:

- Evil Homer

Hahaha. :D

Yeah, I was a huge fan of Team Fortress for Quake. I bought a graphics card that came with Half-Life and TFC. I fired up TFC and started playing it. I was playing pyro, which was a good class in Team Fortress, but is severely underpowered in TFC.

Anyway, an HWGuy came in to my base, and I was thinking, "Oh, you are SO going to get stomped, little foolish HWGuy!" In Team Fortress, HWGuys were defense. They pretty much sucked on offense. That certainly isn't the case in TFC. :roll:

Long story short, he wiped the floor with me. They really should have renamed the HWGuy in TFC, "WRATH OF GOD GUY", because that's basically what they are.

I heard a justification for making the HWGuys more powerful, and that's to counter soldiers. Well, in Team Fortress, that's what pyros were, a counter to the soldier. Instead of preserving that balance in TFC, they totally screwed it.

Sheriff_Fatman said:

Why wasn't it?

Don't forget Morrowind incuded an editor. Even though the game vendor admitted they were just thrown in "as is" from what the dev team used, I think people are trying to do some nifty things with them.

The TES editor is quite nice and very powerful. Just look at some of the mods for Morrowind. Also, the nice part about these mods is that they're plugins. You can make a dungeon and just allow people to download it. Once they install it, it's in the world of Morrowind that you're already playing.

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Sheriff_Fatman said:

Why wasn't it?

Before I answer, can you tell me whether you said this just to start an argument, or are you genuinely interested in a discussion about it?

Anonymous

Sheriff_Fatman said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
Sheriff_Fatman said:

Why wasn't it?

Before I answer, can you tell me whether you said this just to start an argument, or are you genuinely interested in a discussion about it?

I just looked at the site, and this looks like an RPG to me... Downloading some movies now to see what the gameplay is like.

Now *I'm* interested why you don't think it's a RPG...especially since thier homepage boasts:

RPGDot.com - Divine Divinity is awarded the RPGDot platinum award!, scoring a massive 92%. - Full Review http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=430

- Evil Homer

Anonymous

Ok, now I remember this game... saw the trailer for it a loooong time ago. It was just released about a month ago too. hmmm Gonna need to check this one out and see if I like it...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sheriff_Fatman said:

Well, let's see. You either said that to start an argument or you have some basis for saying it. I'd like to know which one that is.

Anonymous

NWN

You could sum up your review of the NWN single player campaign in just a few words: It's a diablo 2 clone with a decent story. I spent about 4 hours on the single player and havent touched it since.

However, the game IS a primarily multiplayer game (which a lot of people have pointed out).

Seriously, try playing a good fan made module (Candledark, Spires of Ravenloft, Tragidore, Daggerford to name a few) with a couple RPG oriented friends and a skilled dungeon master. You'll have more fun with it than with ANY other computer RPG, especially if you try ROLE-PLAYING.

Come on now, real role playing isnt clicking on canned dialogue responses. You can ACTUALLY ROLE PLAY IN THIS GAME. Thats so fukin cool. What other so-called RPG lets you do that?

So if you put at least a small amount of effort into finding a game, you'll find that the 5 years of development were very well spent, as are the $50 to buy this gem.

Rosh

Erudite
Re: NWN

FuriousBroccoli said:
You could sum up your review of the NWN single player campaign in just a few words: It's a diablo 2 clone with a decent story. I spent about 4 hours on the single player and havent touched it since.

However, the game IS a primarily multiplayer game (which a lot of people have pointed out).

Yeah, too bad the editors manual came separate.

Seriously, try playing a good fan made module (Candledark, Spires of Ravenloft, Tragidore, Daggerford to name a few) with a couple RPG oriented friends and a skilled dungeon master. You'll have more fun with it than with ANY other computer RPG, especially if you try ROLE-PLAYING.

Are you so sure about that, or is this about how you are going to make gross generalizations and absolute arguments, while having little to no clue about anything else of what you are glossing over in your "comparison"?

Come on now, real role playing isnt clicking on canned dialogue responses. You can ACTUALLY ROLE PLAY IN THIS GAME. Thats so fukin cool. What other so-called RPG lets you do that?

"HUR, HUR...WANNA GO HITTED ON SOEM OGERS?"

There are many games you can role play within, multiplayer and otherwise. In fact, they've been around for more than 15 years. There's also another one of note, for the graphical cattle (which, no offense, you seem to number among), Vampire: The Masquerade.

The problem with these buildware games, is that there isn't enough GMs of quality to accomodate everyone, and crap servers will fail. Then, everyone will flock to the good ones, and eventually bear those down into the ground. I've seen this before with a number of games, including DarkStone and Demise.

Let's see if NWN is still played and developed for by GMs to any great deal longer than it's development time before we rejoice.

So if you put at least a small amount of effort into finding a game, you'll find that the 5 years of development were very well spent, as are the $50 to buy this gem.

It's an over-priced load of wash, with bugs the developers often try to hide and sometimes re-screw the players over with. Plus, you also neglect to mention that the 5 years of development seem to have been mostly spent in milking off the publisher before they moved to a new one, and then what you claim as the main selling point of the game (despite the claims of the devs of the single-player part), requires an ADDITIONAL purchase for the manual.

The best? I hardly think so. I would say that it might be a bit towards good, if you conveniently forget about some things.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

FuriousBroccoli said:

That's fairly interesting, considering it sold 1.5 million copies last I checked, and there's only 2817 people playing it online right now as I'm typing this. Yup, Sunday evening, peak gaming time for online typically, and there's not even 3,000 people playing the primarily multiplayer NWN. You and a few others might consider it a primarily multiplayer game, but you guys don't even make up a percentage point.

I beg to differ, because that's one thing that CRPGs actually have over PnP, the ability to use skills and attributes in a consistant manner to determine the outcomes and possibilities of dialogue. This, of course, assumes the developer in question is willing to actually script dialogue according to such attributes and skills as well as provide an actual use for those skills in a balanced fashion with other skill counter-parts.

I'll give BioWare credit for actually implimenting these things in NWN, but how BioWare did it was completely botched.

For games that do handle this well, I recommend you see Fallout or Arcanum.

Rosh

Erudite

Saint_Proverbius said:
I'll give BioWare credit for actually implimenting these things in NWN, but how BioWare did it was completely botched.

Like the "pathfinding" that is in any of their games. I'm sorry. That should be pathfinding that is missing from all of their games.

For games that do handle this well, I recommend you see Fallout or Arcanum.

They have pathfinding, too! Darn those newfangled features. Back in my day, we had panthfinding! And it wasn't this shoddy pathfinding that you have nowadays, with the character humping on the side of a building or on the innkeeper's leg. You got to where you wanted to go!

Anonymous

Rosh said:

You;d have to be a bloody idiot to need the 'editors manual' to DM a game, which, no offense, you seem to be!

Are you so sure about that, or is this about how you are going to make gross generalizations and absolute arguments, while having little to no clue about anything else of what you are glossing over in your "comparison"?

Funny, I've been scripting and DMing NWN adventures for months now, so I think I have more than "...little to no clue about anything else...", which, you may of have noticed, is a "gross generalization" on your part.

Like I said before, try playing a good fan made module with a couple RPG oriented friends and a skilled dungeon master and you'll have more fun with it than with ANY other computer RPG, especially if you try ROLE-PLAYING.

Oh wait, some jerk like you probably doesnt have any friends, and probably has the imagination of a toad. Stick with Everqueer and Diablow, its obviously more your speed.

There are many games you can role play within, multiplayer and otherwise. In fact, they've been around for more than 15 years. There's also another one of note, for the graphical cattle (which, no offense, you seem to number among), Vampire: The Masquerade.

Gee thats funny, because in the review, not one of these was mentioned. And my opinion WAS in response to the article, not your lame sophomoric ranting.

The problem with these buildware games, is that there isn't enough GMs of quality to accomodate everyone, and crap servers will fail.

Well, I'm sure thats why in NWN you can RUN YOUR OWN DAMM SERVER and LEARN TO DM YOURSELF. Of course, thinking obviously isnt your strong suit. Better stick to mindless clicking and branching dialogue.

Plus, you also neglect to mention that the 5 years of development seem to have been mostly spent in milking off the publisher before they moved to a new one, and then what you claim as the main selling point of the game (despite the claims of the devs of the single-player part), requires an ADDITIONAL purchase for the manual.

I can't say I am privy to the inner working of Bioware's accounting schema. But then, I dare say, neither are you. And if you need a builders manual to play multiplayer, you must also need your mother to help you put your pants on the right way.

Sol Invictus

Erudite

FuriousBroccoli said:

Don't even compare Diablo 2 to NWN. To call NWN a diablo 2 clone with a decent story is plain arse, to be frank. Diablo 2 had a better story, albeit linear, it was one that was CONSISTENT. Oh, and the combat didn't actually suck and actually kept me hooked for a few months.

The statistics that show the amount of people playing the game at any single time certainly disagree with your statement, considering the fact that over 1.5 million people purchased NWN. There are more people still playing Quake 2 mods.

We weren't reviewing a module. We were reviewing Neverwinter Nights, i.e. the story that comes with the game. Oh, and I've had more fun with Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2.

Vampire: The Masquerade, any MMORPG, etc. In any case, it's not as if you type get to out your own responses in the single player game, so what the heck are you comparing it to?

Yeah, this overpriced Zircon.

Rosh

Erudite

We've got ourselves a real good fanboy here!

FuriousBroccoli said:
Rosh said:

You;d have to be a bloody idiot to need the 'editors manual' to DM a game, which, no offense, you seem to be!

You'd have to be a bloody idiot to run a generic game that many others are, without customization like a generic clone, which, no offense, you just basically said.

Funny, I've been scripting and DMing NWN adventures for months now, so I think I have more than "...little to no clue about anything else...", which, you may of have noticed, is a "gross generalization" on your part.

Next time, try reading. Then you might have a clue about how I was referring to how you basically said it was the best and basically told people they WILL have fun with it. You also might like to note, that you basically had your foot in your mouth when you posted this:

And like the good fanboy you are, you presented yourself as clueless. What other so-called CRPG lets you do that? Well, aside from the one I pointed out, quite a few others.

Like I said before, try playing a good fan made module with a couple RPG oriented friends and a skilled dungeon master and you'll have more fun with it than with ANY other computer RPG, especially if you try ROLE-PLAYING.

You know, it's funny that I can do the above, WITHOUT NWN, in other games. Which was the point I was making before. Keep sucking on that BioWare sphincter.

*SLURP,SLURP,SLURP,SLURP,SLURP,SLURP,SLURP,SLURP,SLURP*

Oh wait, some jerk like you probably doesnt have any friends, and probably has the imagination of a toad. Stick with Everqueer and Diablow, its obviously more your speed.

I think it speaks volumnes that you need to resort to hyperbole to appear to have a point.

By the way, good job fanboying. Too bad NWN doesn't pay you to kiss their ass, like they don't pay you to make their game look better for them. I'm sorry, make their crap single-player game look better, and make the editors (with manual sold separately) look better for them.

Gee thats funny, because in the review, not one of these was mentioned. And my opinion WAS in response to the article, not your lame sophomoric ranting.

Gee that's funny, because pointing out that none of the others were mentioned in the article is the weakest load of crap I've ever heard. Remember, it was YOU in YOUR post that said it was the only one that let you do that. Ooops! Memory must be a bitch, huh?

And my post was directed at your ass-sucking fanboyism, not the review.

The problem with these buildware games, is that there isn't enough GMs of quality to accomodate everyone, and crap servers will fail.

Well, I'm sure thats why in NWN you can RUN YOUR OWN DAMM SERVER and LEARN TO DM YOURSELF. Of course, thinking obviously isnt your strong suit. Better stick to mindless clicking and branching dialogue.

Great way to take it out of contex there, Sparky. You missed my entire point on why most buildware games go into relative obscurity within a couple of years.

Plus, you also neglect to mention that the 5 years of development seem to have been mostly spent in milking off the publisher before they moved to a new one, and then what you claim as the main selling point of the game (despite the claims of the devs of the single-player part), requires an ADDITIONAL purchase for the manual.

I can't say I am privy to the inner working of Bioware's accounting schema. But then, I dare say, neither are you. And if you need a builders manual to play multiplayer, you must also need your mother to help you put your pants on the right way.

Privy to their accounting scheme? Kid, I've worked in game design, still do in open source. For a game to take FIVE YEARS and come out still buggy, unpolished, and quite reeking of Interplay's waffling over the bug issues on the forums, something is wrong.

Please notice I was pointing out the editors manuals.

Please call this number, it might help you out: 1-800-544-7323

It's toll free, so don't worry.

Sol Invictus

Erudite

FuriousBroccoli said:
*snip idiotic ranting*

No, of course you can't. You can't really do that when you're sitting on your ass trying to pathetically defend a lousy game you probably regret spending $50 dollars on and are trying to rationalize your poor decision. But we can. Why? Because we're industry experts.

I hate people who assume that just because they don't know jack shit about something, nobody else must know it, either. That sure as hell makes a whole lot of sense there. Oh yes.

Why, scientists probably don't know what they're talking about, either. They are all probably lying about the sun being a big ball of gas, because one would have to ask the question if whether the scientists have ACTUALLY BEEN TO THE SUN? HMM...... nope. They haven't. Therefore, the sun is not a ball of gas, because no one has actually been there to prove that it is. Oh yes, we're all ignorant people who don't know what we're talking about. Socrates to the nth degree, people!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

FuriousBroccoli said:

I'd be interested in hearing some examples of these role-playing sessions and what about them makes you think they're better than any other CRPG on the market.

And frankly, I don't think giving a living human being the access to possess monsters/NPCs, add monsters/treasure/etc to the game, hand out XP bonuses, and so on, makes it the best CRPG on the market ever. There are a number of single player CRPGs that do allow you a lot of freedom and depth to carve out your niche in the world the game takes place in, and tailor your character to that niche. They do that without the hand holding of a live person the whole time.

Though, I will admit, most of them don't do that and are mostly combat situation after combat situation while you level treadmill your way to the final battle to save the world. In fact, the single player portion of all BioWare's games can be summed up as the combat ad naseum type, but there's more out there than those.

I think he was talking about the quality of the DMing, not their ability to use the software. Anyone can learn the software, just like anyone can read a DMG, but that doesn't make them good DMs.

Exitium said:
Why, scientists probably don't know what they're talking about, either. They are all probably lying about the sun being a big ball of gas, because one would have to ask the question if whether the scientists have ACTUALLY BEEN TO THE SUN? HMM...... nope. They haven't. Therefore, the sun is not a ball of gas, because no one has actually been there to prove that it is. Oh yes, we're all ignorant people who don't know what we're talking about. Socrates to the nth degree, people!

Isn't spectroscopy cool?

Anonymous

Exitium said:
*snip idiotic ranting*
You can't really do that when you're sitting on your ass trying to pathetically defend a lousy game you probably regret spending $50 dollars on and are trying to rationalize your poor decision. But we can. Why? Because we're industry experts.

LOL. Yeah running a web site qualifies you as an "industry expert." Pull the other one.

Rosh said:
*snip more idiotic ranting*
Privy to their accounting scheme? Kid, I've worked in game design, still do in open source.

LOL. Yeah its common knowledge that FAILED game designers are A+ accountants. Pull the other one.

Oh and seeing as how you think Bioware's private accounts are just as visible and accessible as that glowing orb responsible for all life on this planet, your quote:

Exitum said:
Oh yes, we're all ignorant people who don't know what we're talking about.

seems stunningly accurate and descriptive. Bravo!

Rosh

Erudite

FuriousBroccoli said:
Exitium said:
*snip idiotic ranting*
You can't really do that when you're sitting on your ass trying to pathetically defend a lousy game you probably regret spending $50 dollars on and are trying to rationalize your poor decision. But we can. Why? Because we're industry experts.

LOL. Yeah running a web site qualifies you as an "industry expert." Pull the other one.

Hey, keep going on cluelessly. After all, you're the one who thinks that NWN is the only one that lets you RP with others. That you believe such means "you = clueless". That you're arguing about it further means you're of some possible relation to Sheriff_Fatman. I could be wrong, however. I'd also hazard a guess you really don't know who we are and our backgrounds, and you've just come on here as "The Valiant BioWare Defender!"

Perhaps if you're lucky and you do well enough in fanboying, they might give you a gold star on their forums. I wouldn't, because you've been doing a piss-poor job of it and have instead been proving yourself to be something residing in rural Arkansas.

Rosh said:
*snip more idiotic ranting*
Privy to their accounting scheme? Kid, I've worked in game design, still do in open source.

LOL. Yeah its common knowledge that FAILED game designers are A+ accountants. Pull the other one.

Oh and seeing as how you think Bioware's private accounts are just as visible and accessible as that glowing orb responsible for all life on this planet, your quote:

It would take an extreme MORON (you) to not see how they milked and stalled Interplay for a long time until they were kicked out the door, so to speak. 5 YEARS, with bugs still quite rampant, and still trying to fix them while doing a job of trying to cover them up on their forums? I think they might have the same grasp of a QA team that Interplay has.

Exitum said:
Oh yes, we're all ignorant people who don't know what we're talking about.

seems stunningly accurate and descriptive. Bravo!

Keep fanboying. So far, you've not really proven anything other than make yourself out to be clueless. No, wait. Stop posting here and go back to BioWare's forums and keep up the job of beating down those who bring up the problems to other GM developers, like their asshole programmers who want to keep the fact of "What the hell were they doing for five years if simple, severe bugs like this get through?" hidden in e-mails directly to BioWare.

The fact that they are resorting to threats of bans and locking of threads to prevent others from saying "Yeah, I've noticed this bug too, and it ruins the game!" makes them even worse than Interplay.

So, in short, get a clue or remove yourself from the gene pool.

Anonymous

Great review

Great and honest review.
Bioware lets the customers do the supporting and just wants to reap the harvest. But it does not work that way.
NWN is the most overhyped and overrated game since Black&White and really pains that we waited 5 years to get a "do-it-yourself" kit. With not even a document on scripting !...

Rosh

Erudite
Re: Great review

Val said:
Great and honest review.
Bioware lets the customers do the supporting and just wants to reap the harvest. But it does not work that way.
NWN is the most overhyped and overrated game since Black&White and really pains that we waited 5 years to get a "do-it-yourself" kit. With not even a document on scripting !...

Hey, did you hear about the "Super Special Collector's Gold Super Ultra <s>Beta</s> Edition"? Some extra crap, at $20 more.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You know, damn, I hate me. I'm always late when it comes to the good stuff. I've just read all the ve3d rants (remember them, from page 1, posts from about a month ago?). I won't go into the long detail here, it's too after the fact. But these points I'd like to make, because I like dredging up old shite:

1) Saint_Proverbius definately should've linked to the articles on the net that talked about NWN "being more than just a hack 'n slash"

2) raz69, the twat on ve3d that said:
raz69 said:
Also, the reviewer claims the game was in development for 5 years. Is he a fucking idiot? As far as I can remember, game development was 2-3 years. Not to mention the fact that when the game was first announced, it wasn't even really going to come with a campaign. They added that in about 6-12 months after they originally announced the game.
... seems to ignore this on ign:
ign said:
June 21, 2002 - Neverwinter Nights is undoubtedly one of the most highly-anticipated games of this year. After five years in development,
Seems his memory was failing him at the time or perhaps he should go rant to ign and tell them that they got it wrong too?

3) Dr_Cogent in post #91, linked to some very interesting reviews. It's just a pity that none of them appear to back up his point. From what I read, they devoted a sentence or two to the single-player game and then talked about how cool the editors are. In one case, one of the reviews didn't even bother talking about the single-player campaign and instead brushed it off with "oh, I've mentioned this before".

4) I think I'll stick to Arcanum modding, or better yet, Fallout modding. At least waiting 5 years for Fallout editors is worth it. Actually, it's interesting to note that one of the "features" of Arcanum was the mod tools, yet most of the reviews didn't focus on them so much.

simonf

Novice
A-MEN!

You and me, brother!

Planescape!!! Oh god, how I miss Planescape!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom