Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion codex update

Lumpy

Arcane
http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/codex ... skills.htm
It seems that traps were removed, and so was Levitation, Teleportation, Absorb Attribute was moved to Restoration (it's white magic, kids, fireball is black magic. ignore the other schools, they are for teh waek), and maybe some more I didn't notice.
:|

Micmu

Magister
If 1/2 of things are removed then it's obvious that a lot of spells are missing, too. Why do you think there is space for like 5-6 spells in that console interface?
Anyway, it was pretty clear that there is no more Levitation (and Jump) when those no-fly Mournhould style cities were announced. As for teleportation... If Mark&Recall were OMG exploits, then it's obvious Divine Intervention is an exploit, too...

Lumpy

Arcane
micmu said:
If 1/2 of things are removed then it's obvious that a lot of spells are missing, too. Why do you think there is space for like 5-6 spells in that console interface?
Anyway, it was pretty clear that there is no more Levitation (and Jump) when those no-fly Mournhould style cities were announced. As for teleportation... If Mark&Recall were OMG exploits, then it's obvious Divine Intervention is an exploit, too...
I'm glad teleportation is out, since it made no fucking sense. The others, though...

Balor

Arcane
Since when teleportation makes no sense?
Have you studied quantum science resently? ;)

Balor

Arcane
Oh, and axes are still Blunt.
Ok, THAT would be moddable allright...

One who responcible for that is still a dumb moron, though.

Lumpy

Arcane
Balor said:
Since when teleportation makes no sense?
Have you studied quantum science resently? ;)
The fact that NPCs don't use it makes no sense.

Balor

Arcane
Oh, well, they didn't even use doors in MW, so much as you recall :P.
However, when confronted with situation 'fix or remove', Bethsoft does strongly favor one option. I don't need to explain which in particular, I suppose :).

Lumpy

Arcane
Balor said:
Oh, well, they didn't even use doors in MW, so much as you recall :P.
However, when confronted with situation 'fix or remove', Bethsoft does strongly favor one option. I don't need to explain which in particular, I suppose :).
There is no way to fix it.
If the NPCs used it, there wouldn't be any way to kill them anymore.

Balor

Arcane
Why, remember, we didn't have 'teleport' - we had 'mark and recall'.
So, just track a place of mark (it would be their home, 99%), and voila! They can cast it as much as they want.
And besides, only rather good mages should have access to it.
Even easier with divine transportation - you can always cast same spell to chaise the hapless victim.
Just imagine the gameplay possiblities, the diversity and intrigue!
No wonder they removed it.

Balor

Arcane
Yet an other funny thing - 'merchanitle' is under 'Stealth'.
But of course, you'll get best wares by creepting to the vendor from behind and shouting into his ear:
"How much is the fish!!?" :D

Lumpy

Arcane
Balor said:
Why, remember, we didn't have 'teleport' - we had 'mark and recall'.
So, just track a place of mark (it would be their home, 99%), and voila! They can cast it as much as they want.
And besides, only rather good mages should have access to it.
Even easier with divine transportation - you can always cast same spell to chaise the hapless victim.
Just imagine the gameplay possiblities, the diversity and intrigue!
No wonder they removed it.
I'm imagining. Mages that could cast that spell would be unkillable. They would just place a mark in the middle of the Imperial Legion fort, and voila.

Balor

Arcane
Hey, that's the VERY ESSENCE of magery - not brute force fireball-slinging machine, but being elusive and tricky!
Emagine enemy magies using invisibiilty to hide from you, using levitation (oh, it's out too, yet), speed spells to 'hit and run'...
But that would be too much FUN and Bethesda will never make this.
They don't want it fun - they want it 'kewl'.
There IS a difference.

Lumpy

Arcane
Balor said:
Hey, that's the VERY ESSENCE of magery - not brute force fireball-slinging machine, but being elusive and tricky!
Emagine enemy magies using invisibiilty to hide from you, using levitation (oh, it's out too, yet), speed spells to 'hit and run'...
But that would be too much FUN and Bethesda will never make this.
They don't want it fun - they want it 'kewl'.
There IS a difference.
They'll probably add a tricky spell which allows mages to erode the soil under the enemy's feet. That would be l33t.
OK, I take back what I said. Teleportation would be a nice spell, but it shouldn't cost 7 mana, but more like a spell of Invisibility for 120 seconds.

Balor

Arcane
Since when it cost 7 mana?
__
Edit:
Oh, you mean divine intervention and stuff.
Yea, I agree - it's way too small.

Come to think of it, 18 mana for mark/recall is not that much too.

Micmu

Magister
Yep it should... it should...

You know it's easier to NOT implement something than to implement it properly. Which OB example is that now? I've lost count.
But teh graphyx are teh roxor... Not.
It's still bigger than other console RPGs, plenty more space for "removal".

Twinfalls

Erudite
HAHA disarming traps as a character-skill based gameplay element has been removed.

So presumably 'traps' are now all of the "contrived big-swinging-logs-and-rolling-balls-and-shit which enemies will mysteriously stand conveniently in the path of" variety. Teh ROLLPLAYING!!

Lumpy

Arcane
Balor said:
Since when it cost 7 mana?
__
Edit:
Oh, you mean divine intervention and stuff.
Yea, I agree - it's way too small.

Come to think of it, 18 mana for mark/recall is not that much too.
And a scroll cost 70 or such.
Any commoner could have been immortal with that stuff.

Twinfalls

Erudite
micmu said:
They had to use Havok for something... you know... :D

ToddPeteSpeak: "Traps are something we also really focused on. We've put a lot of work into making them this really cool gameplay feature"

Translation: "We have removed the roleplaying aspect of traps, and made them a 'spot the contrived tech-demo' feature".

AnalogKid

Scholar
It's kinda funny reading the two of you go back and forth, I guess these are definitely not peak posting minutes, huh?
Balor said:
Oh, and axes are still Blunt...One who responcible for that is still a dumb moron, though.
This one was completely raked over the coals a few months ago, but I will bring it up again to see if we can have some fun... of all the crap they've apparently done to TES, I don't think this even qualifies as mice-nuts in comparison. Whoever kept the name "blunt" is a fucking moron (I was a BIG fan of "hafted"), but grouping maces and axes together makes a lot more sense to me than grouping maces and morningstars (the kind with chains, not just they spikey maces that are sometimes called morningstars), or maces and flails, or maces and staves (although I guess those are out anyway).

The removal of trap detection as a skill is so insanely typical I'm starting to think we must be living a game-development sitcom or something. No-one in real life could possibly be this hillariously predictable or incompetent, could they? This has to be the "kooky but lovable" fuckup ala Gilligan having hilarious misadventures while trying to design and promote a "revolutionary" game who's only apparent revolution is the wholesale removal of almost all noticeable features. Thank god they have RADIANT AI, and of course Patrick and the soil, and the not-at-all-juvenile console GUI, and now amazing jump/timing puzzles for trap avoidance!

I gotta find the remote to turn this shit off... *scratch, scratch* *BUURRRRP*

Lumpy

Arcane
AnalogKid said:
It's kinda funny reading the two of you go back and forth, I guess these are definitely not peak posting minutes, huh?
Balor said:
Oh, and axes are still Blunt...One who responcible for that is still a dumb moron, though.
This one was completely raked over the coals a few months ago, but I will bring it up again to see if we can have some fun... of all the crap they've apparently done to TES, I don't think this even qualifies as mice-nuts in comparison. Whoever kept the name "blunt" is a fucking moron (I was a BIG fan of "hafted"), but grouping maces and axes together makes a lot more sense to me than grouping maces and morningstars (the kind with chains, not just they spikey maces that are sometimes called morningstars), or maces and flails, or maces and staves (although I guess those are out anyway).

The removal of trap detection as a skill is so insanely typical I'm starting to think we must be living a game-development sitcom or something. No-one in real life could possibly be this hillariously predictable or incompetent, could they? This has to be the "kooky but lovable" fuckup ala Gilligan having hilarious misadventures while trying to design and promote a "revolutionary" game who's only apparent revolution is the wholesale removal of almost all noticeable features. Thank god they have RADIANT AI, and of course Patrick and the soil, and the not-at-all-juvenile console GUI, and now amazing jump/timing puzzles for trap avoidance!

I gotta find the remote to turn this shit off... *scratch, scratch* *BUURRRRP*

This sounds like an im passe then, I personally will simply download a mod for the nine divines and I don't see the absence of spears affecting my experience at all, whereas soil erosion and good voice acting (from Patrick Stewart or otherwise) will greatly immerse me.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 0863&st=80

AnalogKid

Scholar
...will greatly immerse me.
He he he, that just sounds funny. "you greatly immerse me!" :P

I'd like to greatly immerse whoever wrote that and hold them immersed for about 10 minutes or so (assuming it wasn't another Whitemithrandir special).

franc kaos

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/codex_combatskills.htm
It seems that traps were removed, and so was Levitation, Teleportation, Absorb Attribute was moved to Restoration (it's white magic, kids, fireball is black magic. ignore the other schools, they are for teh waek), and maybe some more I didn't notice.
:|

Star signs are the same too, a couple of free spells once a day, instead of maybe improving certain attributes at the expense of others.

No unarmoured skill, so you can raise skills in heavy 'n light but if you prefer a gay mage robe you're shit out of luck.

Less weapons, less character diversity (bipedal tigers) with less skills, less NPCs, indoor cities, wholesale removal of magical abilities.

I finally agree with the developers; they're not dumbing the game down, they're fucking crippling it.

In Fable: The Lost Chapters they had a nifty spell (forgetting you couldn't jump over a two foot fence for the moment), where you could teleport behind a group of enemies and start bashing them (and teleport to various areas around the land), a shield that would last as long as you had mana - not ten seconds, electricity that would arc from your fingers then jump from enemy to enemy, and an area spell that felt like the hand of God smoting the enemy. Mind you, all that power was needed as you could be fighting ten or so enemy at a time.

No demo? I really think Beth need to rethink this policy, not so much to see if the game will actually run on my system,as to whether I want it to. This sucks, I'm gonna have to wait for Gothic3 now...

'...and the sky was afire from horizon to horizon, earthquakes swollowed the cities whole and tidal waves washed across the continents; and on other days it just rains.'

Twinfalls

Erudite
Unarmoured skill is still there. And shutup about Fable you cocksucker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom