Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion E3 hype from ConsoleGold

LlamaGod

Cipher
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Sol Invictus said:
Why does the hero always start in a prison cell or a dungeon?

Elder Scrolls tradition. Every TES RPG has done that.

why make a tradition out of something lame?

And like usual

GOTHIC 3 > ELDER SCROLLS: MORROWIND 2: OBLIVION - Graphics Add-on: The Reckoning

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Not much to it, just don't serve your desserts with Oblivion.

I don't mind starting in an actual prison. I mean, considering there's a fair few RPGs out there that feels like you're starting in a prison anyway. Tell me Fallout 2 didn't start in a prison :)

Fintilgin

Educated
Wait a second.

I remember starting in a cell in Arena, but I thought in Daggerfall you got shipwrecked and washed into a cave that ajoined a dungeon. Not a prison.

Maybe my memories just fuzzy.

Gwendo

Augur
Gee... Starting a story in a prision just because... It was already done in previous title... How creative!

But more important: Will Oblivion be MOD FRIENDLY????

jeansberg

Liturgist
Jesus guys, it's just a fucking tradition. Who gives a shit where you are the first five minutes of a game anyway?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Just as long as they don't start Fallout 3 in a prison. No really. It might've been a nice idea with BiS and Van Buren but for Bethesda it's like taking a lame cliche too far.

In other news:
http://static.bethsoft.com/images/games ... v_03-B.jpg
Hello. Look at me on my horse. Oh forsook, bandito's! Excuseth me whilst I dismouteth before I killeth thee for I cans't swing mine blade wenst mounted.

Fresh

Erudite
Hehe @ darkunderlord

Yes that situation will be kinda absurd.

EDIT: Maybe you can roleplay your character as someone who is REALLY fond of his four-legger and always dismount before combat as he'd hate to see his horsie (read lover) to get hurt.

FireWolf

Liturgist
Tradition is not a good excuse for anything. "Because we've always done it that way" does not breed innovation. If a series of books started in the same place and ended in the same place as previous titles, would you not be slightly irritated? Not trying to be an asshole here, but really; prisoner escapes, does some shit and saves the world?

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
So, instead of sticking to a concept that works and makes the fans happy, they should reinvent the game and make something completely new? What a great idea, considering all the companies that successfully did this in the past. Sequels that stay true to it's predecessors are overrated anyway, right?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Without even trying. Good job, FireWolf. ;)

I don't mind the starting point, there were enough other things to irritate me in Morrowind which needed fixing more urgently than that.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
In Oblivion, starting the player in a prison is actually part of the story. You don't know WHY you are there, but if you weren't, you wouldn't get caught up in the events of the main quest line. In Morrowind, you're just unceremoniously dumped on the shores of Vvardenfell with a package to deliver; but in Oblivion you get caught up in great events in the first few minutes of the game.

Selenti

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
Just as long as they don't start Fallout 3 in a prison. No really. It might've been a nice idea with BiS and Van Buren but for Bethesda it's like taking a lame cliche too far.

In other news:
http://static.bethsoft.com/images/games ... v_03-B.jpg
Hello. Look at me on my horse. Oh forsook, bandito's! Excuseth me whilst I dismouteth before I killeth thee for I cans't swing mine blade wenst mounted.

It was this way in Daggerfall, and I never minded much.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
For what it's worth I just asked a question as to why you always start in a dungeon or a prison or some such similar location. I never minded it, and it's certainly a lot nicer than walking into a town one day as a mercenary with missions to find. That's how Roguelikes do it.

obediah

Erudite
Well Morrowind was made with crappy x-box in mind, and say what you will about it, at no point while playing it did it feel like a console port. Not that Bethesda couldn't fuck it up this time, but I think they did an okay dual release last time.

The KotoR reaked of shitty port. Run through the game in glorious 1600x1200 and pick up phat lewt. Open inventory and the screen turns into a postage stamp. So I have to scroll around these tiny little windows to read text and look for my midichlorian potion while 85% of my screen is black. What fucking retards.

LlamaGod

Cipher
space captain said:
as long as the storyline doesnt turn into some "you are the chosen one" type garbage... it should be ok

BUTS ITS TRADITION!!!!!!!!!!

They also keep with the 'piece of shit RPG' tradition.

Fresh

Erudite
Starting in prison is no big deal cuz you are STARTING in prison, ie afterwards you can do whatever you like.

Having the "chosen one-ingredient" in the main storyline is CRAP cuz you have to deal with it repeatedly whilst playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom