Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

The Real Fanboy
Now Feargus can spend 100% of his time ruining Obsidians games (lol just kidding feargus :face with stuck-out tongue and winking eye emoji)

Last edited:

Mustawd

Microsoft's decision to acquire these businesses comes from a different place, too. InXile's titles are not exactly expected to drive hardware adoption of Xbox consoles. The studio has been picked up to deliver games into the Game Pass subscription platform.

This actually makes me wonder if Game Pass games will have in-app purchases.

Viata

Arcane
I don't even care about the RPG Renaissance. Fuck this shit. Every 4 years we have an "rpg renaissance" where they release only shit rpgs, so fuck Brian Fargo. :rage:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Did anyone else catch that Josh was talking about playing Skyrim on his twitter?? Didn't Josh say on tumblr before that he played a ton of Bethesda's Fallout games before making Fallout: New Vegas!?

Could he be working on Obsidian's new Microsoft skyrim game (that Chris leaked earlier in this thread)!!?

lol sorry I know this is all speculation but still pretty fun to gossip about tho, right?
It's amazing. I expect nothing from Josh, and yet he continues to disappoint me.

Last edited by a moderator:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It's amazing. I expect nothing from Josh, and yet he continues to disappoint me.
I have a mancrush for Josh, he has made only great games i have been enjoying for decades, plus he has great taste in video games himself and is not afraid of a couple of faggots who are going to criticize him for it...

Skyrim is one of the best RPGs ever made, it is only proper that one of the greatest CRPG designers of all time played it... Deal with it butthurt brigade!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Microsoft were a good part of gaming for a while, Midtown Madness, Ascheron's Call, etc. They invested in an MMO that could have been amazing but they ditched all PC gaming when the Xbox was decided and have barely done anything since then. They made Xbox into what it is today. Then said they want to return to PC gaming soon. I would guess they bought some companies that were cheap yet had good staff, they will use that staff to make something that will probably be good.

Cael

Arcane
Microsoft were a good part of gaming for a while, Midtown Madness, Ascheron's Call, etc. They invested in an MMO that could have been amazing but they ditched all PC gaming when the Xbox was decided and have barely done anything since then. They made Xbox into what it is today. Then said they want to return to PC gaming soon. I would guess they bought some companies that were cheap yet had good staff, they will use that staff to make something that will probably be good.
Age of Empires. Age of Mythology.

Microshite had a few good ones. And then they came up with MW4 and things went downhill fast.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Age of Empires is back too, a new game coming soon. I want them to make an MMO that changes the whole genre because it needed to happen a long time ago but nobody else has the money to do it.

Cael

Arcane
Age of Empires is back too, a new game coming soon. I want them to make an MMO that changes the whole genre because it needed to happen a long time ago but nobody else has the money to do it.
AoE 3 was not as good, IIRC. It was set in the Americas. I think they were running out of ideas. I'd love another AoM, though. The single player campaign was good.

Beastro

Arcane
AoE 3 was not as good, IIRC. It was set in the Americas. I think they were running out of ideas. I'd love another AoM, though. The single player campaign was good.

How do you run out of ideas given the series ethos? I wish they'd done a small hop from the Middle Ages into Renaissance/pike and shot instead of trying to do the 18th Century.

Even then, I found the campaign terrible after the awesome semi-historical ones in the first two games. I mean, the way AoEs campaigns went, something like the 80 Years' War centered around narrating the quest of William of Orange, then Maurice and finally Frederick Henry practically writes itself.

Instead of jumping around from war to war, we get some odd storyline about the Fountain of Youth and Russians invading North America through Alaska with a Tsar cannon, as if it was a Europa Universalis RTS that gave no fucks about logistics and attrition.

The latter was the worst and I practically stopped the game then and there.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

How do you run out of ideas given the series ethos? I wish they'd done a small hop from the Middle Ages into Renaissance/pike and shot instead of trying to do the 18th Century.

Even then, I found the campaign terrible after the awesome semi-historical ones in the first two games. I mean, the way AoEs campaigns went, something like the 80 Years' War centered around narrating the quest of William of Orange, then Maurice and finally Frederick Henry practically writes itself.

Instead of jumping around from war to war, we get some odd storyline about the Fountain of Youth and Russians invading North America through Alaska with a Tsar cannon, as if it was a Europa Universalis RTS that gave no fucks about logistics and attrition.

Considering that they did the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs in AoE2, revisiting that for AoE3 using AoE3 stuff would have been something that you'd think was pretty automatic, but...

Beastro

Arcane

Considering that they did the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs in AoE2, revisiting that for AoE3 using AoE3 stuff would have been something that you'd think was pretty automatic, but...

Especially considering how base building with fortifications goes perfectly well with siege dominated warfare in that period.

Cael

Arcane

Especially considering how base building with fortifications goes perfectly well with siege dominated warfare in that period.
Bloody depressing how much of a missed opportunity that was, but still, if they do a better AoM, which had by far the best SP campaign of the lot, I'd be happy to buy it even if it is Microshite.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I didn't like any of them much. AoE3 especially because I hated the small maps. For RTS I only play Supreme Commander series or a few of the C&C games. But gaming in general is so bad that it leaves so much scope to make big improvements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom