Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another way to solve the "Jedi Balance Problem" would be to make the game explicitly about Jedis, with primarily Force User vs Force User combat and only Jedi PCs allowed. Non-Force User characters would function as "tools"/henchmen of Force Users, not meant to be credible threats on their own, or as massed trash mobs.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/460539/interviews/interview-obsidian-on-life-after-south-park/

You mentioned in December that you might have another Kickstarter to reveal around now...

We are working on what that is. I think we've come up with what it's going to be. We have to still firm up some details, but my hope is that we'll get one going before the end of the year.

Who would have thought the rejects from Interplay and Black Isle would end up funding their retirement and homes by cyber begging.

FINISH YOUR FIRST GAME FIRST. ASSHOLES.

Rake

Arcane
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/460539/interviews/interview-obsidian-on-life-after-south-park/

You mentioned in December that you might have another Kickstarter to reveal around now...

We are working on what that is. I think we've come up with what it's going to be. We have to still firm up some details, but my hope is that we'll get one going before the end of the year.

Who would have thought the rejects from Interplay and Black Isle would end up funding their retirement and homes by cyber begging.

It would be a waste of time. :smug:

Hormalakh

Magister
Well if they start the KS when Beta is out, people will already know that the game is in its final phases. that would be a good time to go for the KS. They are almost done with Alpha, so I think in a few months it is doable.

InXile pushed their 2nd kickstarter before they even had a beta, AFAIR.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another way to solve the "Jedi Balance Problem" would be to make the game explicitly about Jedis, with primarily Force User vs Force User combat and only Jedi PCs allowed. Non-Force User characters would function as "tools"/henchmen of Force Users, not meant to be credible threats on their own, or as massed trash mobs.
Yeah it seems like one fix to wizards being OP in settings is to restrict or force the wizards on the party. Either the player has to be one and it's about using the power he has, or the player can't be one and it's about navigating a world filled with more powerful entities.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well if they start the KS when Beta is out, people will already know that the game is in its final phases. that would be a good time to go for the KS. They are almost done with Alpha, so I think in a few months it is doable.

InXile pushed their 2nd kickstarter before they even had a beta, AFAIR.
InXile had a 20 minute long gameplay video.

Still waiting for more than 2 minutes of gameplay shown from Obsidian.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
They should not be spending time and money planning a new KS when that time and money should be going to finishing the game they promised backers from the first KS.

They already took an extra $20 for an expansion pack to PoE. When the fuck is that being implemented? Post release? Not if they have a new game in development.

Bunch of assholes.

Monty

Arcane
They already took an extra $20 for an expansion pack to PoE. When the fuck is that being implemented? Post release? Not if they have a new game in development.
Do you think Obsidian are of a size where they can only work on one game at once?

Normal development schedules also require one to start pre-production on the next project while the previous one is being finished, else you'll have periods with staff sitting idle. As Hormalakh mentioned though, it would be best if they have a beta or something solid to show from this kickstarter before asking for funds for the next one.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
An expansion pack isn't going to need the same size of team. It's naive to think they shouldn't plan their next project while work on the current project is going on. Find me any successful business that runs without thinking several projects ahead. You always have to have a long term strategy for your business and ideally you'd like to be ready to implement them as soon as possible. Not, oh shit, we're finished one project, now lets scramble to figure out what we're doing next while most of our employees wait around with their thumbs up their asses.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Theres so many things wrong with this
Do you think Obsidian are of a size where they can only work on one game at once?

Normal development schedules also require one to start pre-production on the next project while the previous one is being finished, else you'll have periods with staff sitting idle. As Hormalakh mentioned though, it would be best if they have a beta or something solid to show from this kickstarter before asking for funds for the next one.

Are you people that forgetful?

Exact same discussion happened. Exact same fucking thing was explained. They have delayed this Kickstarter EXACTLY because they first want to get the Eternity Beta out. Originally it was set for march.

In fact Obsidian has shyed away TWICE (This and the add. Strech goals) so far from asking people for more money, there were Kickstarter updates about it. There were posts about it on this very forum.

Multiple fucking times.

:deadhorse:

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Indie game dev is quickly turning into conmen sponsored by sycophant fans.

In fact Obsidian has shyed away TWICE (This and the add. Strech goals) so far from asking people for more money, there were Kickstarter updates about it. There were posts about it on this very forum.

No. They asked back in December if people would pay more money for more areas. Sawyer keeps mentioning money money money money.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:roll:

I'm not even sure what you're complaining about, but I'm pretty sure you're either a troll or you just have no understanding of how video game development works. Last I heard, Obsidian has over 100 employees. There are probably slightly more than 20 people working on PoE at this point. They have plenty of manpower left to work on another kickstarter project while they finish up PoE, especially considering the South Park team wrapped up in February. The team put on the PoE expansion will probably be smaller than the production team, as well, so that will free up even more resources for the next kickstarter project when PoE is finished.

No. They asked back in December if people would pay more money for more areas. Sawyer keeps mentioning money money money money.
Of course they want more money. Who wouldn't want more money? More money means they could either work on the game longer, or put more people on the project to add more content in the same amount of time. More money means more work for Obsidian, which means they can afford to pay more people.

Also, they ended up deciding not to add the new stretch goals, so they very much did decide against it.

Duraframe300

Arcane

:hmmm:
Which is what I said by added stretch goals.

And you know what? That poll went positive. AND THEY STILL DECIDED AGAINST IT.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
An RTwP Star Wars game inspired by the IE games would be cool. No one wants to admit it.
Urquhart already pitched this.
"I always thought - and everyone just looks at me strangely when I say this - it would be cool to do a Star Wars Pillars of Eternity-style game, where you had a little party, a droid and a... whatever. That would be super-cool. I'd buy it!

"But that's a hard [sell]... That's not SWTOR and that's not KOTOR and that's not Battlefront and that's not that. I don't know - I'm probably going to take a stab at that and see if anybody has any interest, but I don't know - we'll see."
I don't like the idea because Star Wars's existing RPG ruleset and setting aren't suited for balance.
They could use the Pillars of Eternity ruleset (if it is any good). Or come up with their own. Whatever they do, as long as it is an isometric party based rpg, I will most probably be happy.

About their second KS campaign and the PoE beta: I doubt they will launch the next Kickstarter campaign before the beta or early access (most probable solution) is out. The new campaign is launching sometime later in the year, so is Pillars of Eternity. Wouldn't surprise me if we got the PoE beta a week or two before they go for KS game #2.

Last edited:

Hormalakh

Magister
I don't think they'll go for a Isometric Party based RPG for SW. If they do a KS, I doubt it'll be any IP but their own. It seems like Feargus already heard a great idea for a game and they're going with that.

I would hope they do their own IP and be like Bioware (Dragon Age/Mass Effect). The best thing would be for them to do a space/science-fiction fantasy thing so that we'll have Bioware's DA vs POE and Bioware's ME vs whatever the new KS is.

:D

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think they'll go for a Isometric Party based RPG for SW. If they do a KS, I doubt it'll be any IP but their own. It seems like Feargus already heard a great idea for a game and they're going with that.

I would hope they do their own IP and be like Bioware (Dragon Age/Mass Effect). The best thing would be for them to do a space/science-fiction fantasy thing so that we'll have Bioware's DA vs POE and Bioware's ME vs whatever the new KS is.

:D
Oh, they will most likely not go for an IP that isn't their own, so that means another new one. I wonder if they still have any interest in the game concept that was "what if evil won"?. Could be an interesting concept if done right. There are some (majority of) games that have evil rulers from the get-go that players vanquish, sure. But I'd like to see a game that has nothing to do with actually overthrowing the evil power for any good cause. You are born into the world and evil has been around for ages, so you already are a bit of a c*** yourself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You guys might be interested in knowing that "veryalien" is the extremely butthurt individual formerly known as "Torment Superfan" from the Kickstarter comments of Torment. This guy has a long, long history of being a pain in the ass in Kickstarter comments, and also on Twitter, where he constantly messages developers of various games with passive-aggressive statements.

I don't need to point out the irony of a "Torment Superfan" being angry at a company going for a double dip on Kickstarter. I wouldn't mind the guy if he actually had anything valuable to say, but it's always about irrelevant shit like release schedules, or the devs not paying enough attention to fans, and not about actual gameplay. As it is, I'd prefer if we let hiver out and put him in Prosper Land instead. Sheesh.

Monty

Arcane
This guy has a long, long history of being a pain in the ass in Kickstarter comments, and also on Twitter, where he constantly messages developers of various games with passive-aggressive statements.

I don't need to point out the irony of a "Torment Superfan" being angry at a company going for a double dip on Kickstarter. I wouldn't mind the guy if he actually had anything valuable to say, but it's always about irrelevant shit like release schedules, or the devs not paying enough attention to fans, and not about actual gameplay. As it is, I'd prefer if we let hiver out and put him in Prosper Land instead. Sheesh.
Interesting, had noticed a bit of a theme.

If he's into passive-aggressive statements perhaps a permanent Watchwitzing would be most appropriate :smug:

Xeon

Augur
Do staff have access to member's activities or something? He is not using the same name for KS and Twitter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Do staff have access to member's activities or something? He is not using the same name for KS and Twitter.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/234650/discussions/0/864971045034740166/#c864971139158333853
I've been following the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter from the beginning.

Everyone should note that "veryalien" has expressed a personal grudge against one of the Shadowrun Returns developers in the Kickstarter comments, under the name "Torment Superfan." He's spent the last year harassing their staff on their forums, making abusive statements towards the developers, and trying to manipulate gamers in to either not ordering the game or getting refunds under the names "VeryAlien", "Thamer Al Harbash" and "Torment Superfan". Their staff said he was banned from their forums, and blocked by Kickstarter from commenting on their project on Kickstarter due to inappropriate behavior. He was given a refund and made it clear he has no interest in actually buying the game, but pretends to have "some" interest in order to "inform" everyone how unhappy he is with any issue he can find. I'm not calling him a troll. I don't think he is a troll. I think, based on his activity over the past year that he wants to financially hurt one of the game's developers or harm his reputation. He's intelligent, and manipulative, but his history speaks for itself. This isn't a troll or a disgruntled gamer. It's a person who's proven to have an ongoing personal obsession against this company, possibly due to one of their members.

Also, I've asked him directly if he was this same person, having already confirmed he is, and he lied stating he wasn't. Then he set his account to private. Regardless, if Steam mods need the proof, I will be happy to provide it privately.

I am not attacking this person, I am making statements of observation regarding his ongoing behavior over the course of a year and across multiple game communities.

This game looks great and I don't think people should be dissuaded from considering it because one person has an unreasonable grudge driving him to go to extremely deceptive lengths to disingenuously manipulate other gamers in to having a negative opinion of the game and its developers.

I'd hope he can find it within himself to get over his grudge, move on, and spend time on games he does enjoy.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4968&p=82159#p82159

h766FJd.png

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Looks like drog, posts like drog, probably not drog but it sure stinks.

No Jedi solves the balance problem

This is the key to understanding balancetards. Hey, here's something for you: "no game at all" solves all the problems. Take a hint.

Hormalakh

Magister
You guys might be interested in knowing that "veryalien" is the extremely butthurt individual formerly known as "Torment Superfan" from the Kickstarter comments of Torment. This guy has a long, long history of being a pain in the ass in Kickstarter comments, and also on Twitter, where he constantly messages developers of various games with passive-aggressive statements.

Seems like you're saying "ignore the motherfucker"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom