Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Like Outer Worlds?
Look at Guerrilla Games. They were making some kind of their game and then decided to turn switch and try something new. Bam! Horizon zero dawn was their best selling game ever.

Its a beautiful game, but its not a super good game. Its fun, but, Jesus, there are some cringe level design in the game and to sum it up its just another assassins creed.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Horizon Zero Dawn is what happens when writers mostly ignore the actual game loop because the game loop ends up boring and not fun and just go write whatever.

It was a decent story, and it's strange that it turned out better than if the game had tried to stand on its actual premise - tribes of humans fighting robot dinosaurs, which should be awesome but they somehow made boring and monotonous as shit.

Latelistener

Arcane
So what are Obsidian's current projects?

Parker is making his own Skyrim, but the guy is a pure decline even if he has experience. I expect nothing and maybe this will be at least a decent popamole open-world "RPG".

I heard Sawyer has his own game, but is most likely not even an "RPG".

Cainarsky is probably working on something else? But honestly I kind of don't want to hear anything from them ever again.

Anything else?

Flou

Arbiter
So what are Obsidian's current projects?

Parker is making his own Skyrim, but the guy is a pure decline even if he has experience. I expect nothing and maybe this will be at least a decent popamole open-world "RPG".

I heard Sawyer has his own game, but is most likely not even an "RPG".

Cainarsky is probably working on something else? But honestly I kind of don't want to hear anything from them ever again.

Anything else?

Starks is leading the 2nd TOW DLC

Cain&Boyarsky working on something (TOW2?)

Sawyer is working on his Project Missouri

Badler has a project he is leading

Brennecke and his group are working on Grounded

Parker & the full team on Avowed

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
What a shame MCA is gone and done from their world.

I'm just not interested in TOW at this point. Nothing in it would challenge or entertain me, and it seems the derp is just too much to ignore.

kreight

This is from the wiki on The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

In early 2009 EA Games announced that they had bought the rights for a MMORPG, with the plan to publish it through the EA Partners-Program. The following year Obsidian Entertainment announced that they would be working on the project, for a PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC release.[56][57] However, the project was seemingly dropped around 2014.[58]

Is this a thing? Anyone wants the new The Wheel of Time game?

Takamori

Learned
I'm more interested in Balance man game, from what I remember he had a hard boner for low fantasy medieval game so he was meeting Vavra, played Kingdom Cum and loved it, then had a time he was having a blast with Battle Brothers. So we might get another spin on Battle Brothers? But more RPG instead of squad management.

Flou

Arbiter

In early 2009 EA Games announced that they had bought the rights for a MMORPG, with the plan to publish it through the EA Partners-Program. The following year Obsidian Entertainment announced that they would be working on the project, for a PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC release.[56][57] However, the project was seemingly dropped around 2014.[58]

It never was a thing. The company that owns/owned the license did the minimum effort to keep the licenses for the books. The guy even created a horrible episode from the first book's prologue that he aired on some Fox channel after midnight in effort to keep the rights. He actually produced it and paid for the hour on that channel, just to keep the rights.

It never was a thing. The company that owns/owned the license did the minimum effort to keep the licenses for the books. The guy even created a horrible episode from the first book's prologue that he aired on some Fox channel after midnight in effort to keep the rights. He actually produced it and paid for the hour on that channel, just to keep the rights.

Yeah pretty hilarious how Feargus was either duped by, or totally willing to go along with, a company that was using OES to lend substantiation to their own ashcan-copy efforts.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Starks is leading the 2nd TOW DLC

Cain&Boyarsky working on something (TOW2?)

Sawyer is working on his Project Missouri

Badler has a project he is leading

Brennecke and his group are working on Grounded

Parker & the full team on Avowed

I don't think Tim Cain may even be there anymore (or move away and is now part-time and downscaling off to retirement). I haven't got any confirmation on this, though.

Starks on DLC2 may make it worth checking out... I know, I know, I'll eat those words soon enough.

What has Parker done? I could care less about Avowed, but if the Creative Director is good, I might revise my opinion.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Parker is credited as director of Alpha Protocol. I have no idea what else he's done at Obsidian. Maybe he's just had the misfortune of being on every cancelled project.

Latelistener

Arcane
Some dev posted an angry comment about Parker after Protocol was released. Avellone said they never knew who it was. I also think Parker had a problem with Mitsoda (the reason why he left).

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/is-chris-parker-dragging-obsidian-down.45090/

Not counting any of that, the guy is basically all about consoles and popamole (and Skyrim). You won't hear him talking about Darklands.

Doesn't meant Avowed will be bad though. Just expect nothing from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom