Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Duraframe300

Arcane
If the main aim of a dialogue is to be an annoying asshole that only makes me dislike the main charachter.
a lot of california types keep thinking people are impressed with "subversion" by making your character have aggravating quips or other quirky traits out of a marvel movie

Yeah, but could live with a lot of that tbh. It's when it takes over the entire dialog that it gets annoying. Give me some variety ffs.

For me personally Sawyer's example is even worse than that. If you want to interrupt someone, interrupt and make it count (or don't interrupt in the first place).
Doing it constantly is just being an annoying bitch.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Sorry had to scroll back also sorry so long

Would usually ignore this except 4 posters were saying this and agreeing with each other. I did not post comments they disagreed about

If hear more, will pass along but might be reason why Cyberpunk had quest bugs

Damn, you win. Everything I heard confirms parts of this::

This normally wouldn’t be relevant on his weight, but “Fat”rick looks like Feargus, which someone speculates is why he was hired, since apparently there’s some pattern there.

Definitely a difficult worker at least while at Obsidian, I think the same producers might be in my feed, one was ex-Cold Iron developer with too much time on their hands.

Fought with producers a lot, and tried to get the CEO and directors to fire the producers when producers did try to manage him (nice!)

Sleeping: Definitely slept a lot at the office during work hours. Apparently tried to get it passed off as lunch break… if someone took frequent 1 hour lunch breaks. No word on if Patrick was staying up late playing games at home or had a physical problem, though.

CEO (who Feargus at the time, I guess) played favorites, and Patrick and some guy who was friends with Patrick (Pedro? This part sounded fake) got away with murder, sleeping on the job, coming in late until both were fired. The same two were friends of Sawyer and used him like Feargus in the same way, but I didn’t get much info beyond them all being friends who protect each other.

An addition to that "very personal" email post in question: So ha, get this - if Spiffer is the same producer who brought up the email issue with you, the email may have been about him: It turns out Patrick sent out some global email talking about that producer’s dick (?!) and saying he has only a single ball? This apparently really happened, no shit. HR didn’t do anything about it beyond an email reprimand, but the problem was by confirming the email HR was actually confirming what Fatrick said was true and the producer only had one ball. No wonder that poster didn’t say shit about the actual email content when asked if "Spiffer" was the producer who was called out. ;)

This is hilarious: So back to the weight issue - one of the producers who I think is at Blizzard (female, I think, based on language and anti-men?) says Feargus hires favorites who “look like him” (pear-shaped, white), and Patrick and others (Justin Britch, Nathan Davis, Nathaniel Champman, Bobby Null) were his favorites and got special consideration.

She does not know why Patrick was let go, but says it would be like Feargus to “turn” and fired a lot of people he liked including female producers and leads.

Could all be bullshit, but that one ball email is so specifically weird. Be proud of your one ball, man, let it hang with pride!

Flying Dutchman

Learned
dafuqs going on, are they game deving or soap operaing?

Blame COVID or just sheer disdain for Patrick K Mills, I guess.

Also, I bet if you asked all these people, they were probably fired too (I didn't ask this, I wanted them to keep going, not clam up).

KMills seems to be a muse for hate, but if all that shit is true, I'd hate to be his co-worker, too - or his manager. Or have to report to him.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
This is hilarious: So back to the weight issue - one of the producers who I think is at Blizzard (female, I think, based on language and anti-men?) says Feargus hires favorites who “look like him” (pear-shaped, white), and Patrick and others (Justin Britch, Nathan Davis, Nathaniel Champman, Bobby Null) were his favorites and got special consideration.

Pedro = PedrotheDagger which is Nathaniel Champman twitter account

"Female, based on language and anti-men" Language could still be a man, both Pedro and Mills both talk like women and seem to hate men so to be anti-man does not mean the person is female

Justin Britch = head of development so he is favorite for sure

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh right, Chapman's also a goon. But it seems unlikely he was actually fired, since he upgraded to Blizzard. Regardless, as a game developer friend of Lowtax's put it

ill say this much: when i started my game company, i wanted to try and give opportunities to goons because i thought itd be a nice gesture to the place that helped me get my start
without fail, almost every single goon i've worked with has thrown the opportunity in my face and walked away at best, and damaged things at worst.
i straight up refuse to hire any goons now

one dude, a modder who i promised in 2016 that i'd hire because a person of his skill deserved a job, walked away from a 10% revenue contract potentially worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, because being expected to stay online in chat during the work day was too much commitment for him to tolerate

another goon had a 5% contract and did nothing but shit up the chat whining about political SJW bullshit no one cared about, refused to improve their art and sulked when presented with any criticism, then quit because they decided criticism made the work environment "not a safe space"
they then threw a gigantic tantrum because i removed them from the team page (you know, because they're no longer on the team) and tried accusing me of stealing their art (that was already bad and i didn't want) because i didn't dig through the repository and delete every single piece they'd made the second they left
now all they do is whine about politics on their twitter while drawing really, really bad OC of their furry personas that's somehow gotten progressively worse

aforementioned person is also responsible for what's now a meme in our team - i asked them to draw an asset and they responded "ill do it tomorrow, im depressed about the state of global politics"

hey do you think its the forum culture that makes them so...unprofessional like if they unplugged from forum for few weeks they d improve.
it's a chicken vs egg thing. i can't tell whether the forum culture makes them that way or whether the forum just attracts that kind of person
what i am certain of is "that person" is the kind who thinks they're too smart to do any actual real work and are happier to spend their time shitposting and playing videogames and then complain about not having any opportunities

i've lost count of the amount of people who walked out from the project straight up telling me that they valued their time to spend on videogames and netflix too much for it to be worth it, only to magically come back out of the woodwork expecting their old job back on a silver platter once things got moving

there's also an abundance of "if i'm not personally enjoying every task i'm doing then it's not worth it"...which, fair enough, but good luck getting literally anywhere in life thinking like that
lots of goons would join all super gung ho, work on shit they personally found interesting and the second Real Work had to get done to keep things moving they'd suddenly be nowhere to be seen

from dealing with creative types for years i've learned that actual ability/skill is a very small part of the equation. when hiring the traits i'm looking for are almost always work ethic, attitude and adaptability. actual talent/ability is actually very low on the list because the standard is so high nowadays anyway. there's no point being a good creative if you can't deliver or can only do things in your personal style or are a total asshole to work with; you probably won't be surprised that it's actually hard to find even experienced people who tick all those boxes

Never hire a goon. :M

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just don't tell me any bad stories about Anthony Davis, because he was always great on the boards here and it would sadden me to learn he wasn't a bro.

Quillon

Arcane
patrick mills looks awful lot like the rapist boss of clouds in cp77, hmn... :P

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Any good?

Concept artist hard to tell, think worked on Tyranny

General question or maybe Flou knows it

What OBsidian projects have what state names? Not sure which project Bobby was on, may not have been Avowed

Change to previous post - do not think he was lead artist was lead concept artist according to LinkedIn

Change to this post - found out yes, Alabama is Avowed from this forum search

Flou

Arbiter
Any good?

Concept artist hard to tell, think worked on Tyranny

General question or maybe Flou knows it

What OBsidian projects have what state names? Not sure which project Bobby was on, may not have been Avowed

Change to previous post - do not think he was lead artist was lead concept artist according to LinkedIn

Change to this post - found out yes, Alabama is Avowed from this forum search

He worked on Avowed, Outer Worlds, Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity and South Park

Grounded and Avowed have project names as well as Sawyer's Project Missouri.

Flou

Arbiter
Josh should leave game business entirely

No one should make any new games, that's how we could just remind ourselves about the good old days, instead bitching half of the day on some internet forums about how everyone is a cuck, hack, fag or just plain incompetent.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
My internet setup blocks what Infinitron posted. I assume it's twitter. If that's the case then I am certain I am glad I cannot see it. Josh's musings have long since turned stale, as they are frequently bland and unimaginative. His constant communication and messaging makes me question how hard he is working on his project, or whether he acknowledges it is simply busy work not to be taken seriously.

I wonder if he'll be put out to pasture.

Bulo

Scholar
"Feargus, how long's it gonna be 'til we get that little deal an' live on the fatta the land--an' xaurips?"

"I don' know," said Feargus. "We gotta get a big publishin' deal together. I know a little story we can dev cheap, but we can't dev it for free."

Ninjerk

Arcane
My internet setup blocks what Infinitron posted. I assume it's twitter. If that's the case then I am certain I am glad I cannot see it. Josh's musings have long since turned stale, as they are frequently bland and unimaginative. His constant communication and messaging makes me question how hard he is working on his project, or whether he acknowledges it is simply busy work not to be taken seriously.

I wonder if he'll be put out to pasture.
As if to illustrate your point, he posted this sUpEr IrOnIc tweet:
b7d91c2c535e57032b18189c0546a6e7.png

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
What if it's not ironic? Three he's is in fact a totally balanced response to a joke. Two he's and the teller thinks you're sarcastic in laughing, or just humoring him. Four he's and he might think you're a giggling buffoon. No. Three is the perfect number of he's.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Josh should leave game business entirely

Every time Sawyer posts, I wonder if there's that small voice inside his head going, "shouldn't you be working?"

I feel like he posts this dumb shit to prove to everyone he's doing something, but the problem is it's stuff you don't care about - or worse, it makes you care even less or not at all because it looks like it's really bad.

No one should make any new games, that's how we could just remind ourselves about the good old days, instead bitching half of the day on some internet forums about how everyone is a cuck, hack, fag or just plain incompetent.

TT1 said Josh should leave the business, not everyone, and that is a message I can get behind. Flou, hyperbole in answers is the lamest argument shit in the world.*

* See what I did there? Isn't it a compelling argument?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom