Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

ind33d

Educated
Do we know what Sawyer will work on next? Apparently, Microsoft was looking into making New Vegas 2 a thing.
why not just make a regular vegas RPG? how do nukes improve the game?

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Do we know what Sawyer will work on next? Apparently, Microsoft was looking into making New Vegas 2 a thing.
Normally Toddller would lose his fucking mind and not let them touch it but now that Microsoft owns Bethesda this is doable. Obsidian would make a better Falllout game than Bethesda could ever manage.

All the orignal Fallout 1 creators are working under Microsoft now and getting at least a New Vegas 2 is better than anything Bethesda would come up with. If it was up to me i'd tell Bethesda and their engine to fuck off and make a proper Fallout game. The success of BG3 showed that you don't need a shooter style RPG to selll well.

PS:bring back Avellone you cowards!

scytheavatar

Scholar
Normally Toddller would lose his fucking mind and not let them touch it but now that Microsoft owns Bethesda this is doable. Obsidian would make a better Falllout game than Bethesda could ever manage.

All the orignal Fallout 1 creators are working under Microsoft now and getting at least a New Vegas 2 is better than anything Bethesda would come up with. If it was up to me i'd tell Bethesda and their engine to fuck off and make a proper Fallout game. The success of BG3 showed that you don't need a shooter style RPG to selll well.

Current Obsidian can't even make Avowed without blowing up, you think Microsoft will trust them to make a New Vegas 2?

RepHope

Savant
I do hope Carrie Patel gets to make her Spy Thriller RPG after being done with Avowed.
Does she want to make “Beta Protocol” or something? Given Avowed seems to be a shitshow I’m not sure if she’s up to the task (never mind that writing wise Obsidian DEFINITELY is not up to the task).

Current Obsidian can't even make Avowed without blowing up, you think Microsoft will trust them to make a New Vegas 2?
MS won’t let Fallout lay fallow for long. Bethesda has Elder Scrolls 6 up next, and who knows how long that will take. I think it’s a safe bet that MS would want a new Fallout game to come out around the same time as that Amazon show.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

I would rather have no new Fallouts than have Bethesda or Obsidian make one. Franchises lying dormant is not the end of the world.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I dreamt that I joined Obsidian last night. All they did was talk around the office, nobody ever worked. I tried getting attached to a project, but they all just changed the subject. Somebody whispered to me that I'll never join a project before my third week, it's never happened before.
They had some garage where they built giant models of some trains, cause their next game was going to be an RPG about trains. But after building it for half a year, they realized the game wasn't fun.
Sawyer said they could do some stealth mechanics in a trainyard, said "something like Metal Gear", but they all burst into laughter and he left with a red face. They kept repeating "something like Motley Beer? Is that what he said? Have you ever heard about a game Motley Beer hahaha what the fuck was he even saying? Jesus he's such a nerd LOL"
My nose started bleeding in the real world and I woke up. Should I leave a glassdoor review?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Feargus would be happy to have Avellone writing for them again. It's him who refuses to work for them until Feargus and Parker are gone.
If he is being truthful about Feargus and Parker trying to use Chris' mother's health condition and coverage as leverage to keep him working there, I can understand him.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
I dreamt that I joined Obsidian last night. All they did was talk around the office, nobody ever worked. I tried getting attached to a project, but they all just changed the subject. Somebody whispered to me that I'll never join a project before my third week, it's never happened before.
They had some garage where they built giant models of some trains, cause their next game was going to be an RPG about trains. But after building it for half a year, they realized the game wasn't fun.
Sawyer said they could do some stealth mechanics in a trainyard, said "something like Metal Gear", but they all burst into laughter and he left with a red face. They kept repeating "something like Motley Beer? Is that what he said? Have you ever heard about a game Motley Beer hahaha what the fuck was he even saying? Jesus he's such a nerd LOL"
My nose started bleeding in the real world and I woke up. Should I leave a glassdoor review?
This is very good writing example for a narrative lead position.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
He made the worst New Vegas DLCs such as Lonesome Road(the antagonist is not even a character, just his personal mouthpiece), Old World Reddit and Dead Money.
Josh Sawyer is what made New Vegas great and he made the most memorable character (Joshua Graham) and the best DLC
Really on your own there buddy. I liked Old World Blues and Lonesome Road though both are flawed, and especially Dead Money even if it has some of the same flaws.
The flaws that I am talking about is what the player most of the time in the DLCs is doing is carrying out fetch quests, exception being LR which focused even more on being an action-shooter. But damn did I like the world building and the themes (sure OWB is ridiculous but it is more enjoyable ridiculousness than Mothership Zeta because its at least human stupidity and arrogance).
If anything I feel Honest Heart honestly could have used some more content like for example neutral factions like prospectors, the mentioned slavers (non Legion kind). They could have made the Happy Trails people being some neutral party in this all instead of just existing to be killed off.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
In other circumstances I would say "Yesss!", but I feel I am going to regret it in this case.
I would love nothing more than a sequel to New Vegas, not necessarily set in New Vegas, more a spiritual sequel. The thing is however, the people needed are not there any more. They left Obsidian (apparently one died), and what has replaced them... that they are not up to the task would be an understatement.
And then there is Bethesda's crappy additions to the lore.

I really think we should let this one go.
One day a Russian studio going to RISE UP and make New Vegas 2 on the Infinite Engine.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Really on your own there buddy. I liked Old World Blues and Lonesome Road though both are flawed, and especially Dead Money even if it has some of the same flaws.

Nah, i agree with him. I found OWB, LR and DM the worst of the DLCs - in fact i had played the base game several times before buying the DLCs and i remember reading on Reddit that they were good, playing them and then thinking "wtf is this" (i did play all of them to completion though).

Old World Blues starts with an endless endless endless endless endless dialog sequence that is by far the worst i've seen in any game, then the entire concept is so wacky that i just couldn't get invested in it. Fallout was never exactly scientifically sound, but at least it felt grounded. OWB had none of that. I tried to convince myself that you hallucinated it, though that didn't explain how you got all those OP weapons in your inventory. FWIW the gameplay was at least kinda ok.

Dead Money was awful from a gameplay perspective, Avellone wanted to make some different game and was forced to make a DLC for New Vegas instead. I didn't like any of the characters in it too and the only potential saving grace was not met because you couldn't bring Veronica with you. Also it kinda killed Father Elijah as a character IMO, from what Veronica said in the base game i sort of expected something like him merging with one of those brain robots or something like that but it turned out he just went senile and insane at the same time. Meh.

Lonesome Road was a linear cringefest, it'd be way more believable to me if some QA intern wrote it and paid Avellone to use his name than Avellone himself even spending a single hour on it. I don't remember how it was from a gameplay perspective, the cringe induced by the monologuing edgelord overrode everything else about the DLC in my mind.

Of all the DLC the one i liked the most, by far, was Honest Hearts because it felt closest to the base game. I love New Vegas and HH gave me more of it. Most of the other DLCs were made with the assumption that i wanted something different, except if that was the case i would be playing a different game entirely.

skaraher

Cipher
He made the worst New Vegas DLCs such as Lonesome Road(the antagonist is not even a character, just his personal mouthpiece), Old World Reddit and Dead Money.
Josh Sawyer is what made New Vegas great and he made the most memorable character (Joshua Graham) and the best DLC
Honest Hearts had trash quests and storyline, it only managed to survive in pop culture thanks to Survivalist and Joshua Graham. DM was an attempt to do something new and challenging with Gamebryo engine, and OWB was a high difficulty combat fest. Both are all around considered to be great DLCs.

Vyvian

Educated
I have a feeling New Vegas 2 is going to be a reality and it'll probably be Sawyer at the helm or Obsidian at the very least.
I'm not sure Microsoft would be happy letting the Fallout IP lay dormant for nearly a decade with only Fallout 76 to represent it while Toddler works on the next Elder Scrolls.
I also feel like any New Vegas 2 will try way too hard to recapture what New Vegas had that it'll end up feeling tryhard and cringe. Probably pozzed to hell except it will be blatant "current year" type shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I honestly would feel completely and utterly sad for Obsidian if they were forced to do a game in the completely utterly fucking shit Fallout series/engine Bethesda created.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I honestly would feel completely and utterly sad for Obsidian if they were forced to do a game in the completely utterly fucking shit Fallout series/engine Bethesda created.

Sawyer has mentioned several times that the Creation Engine was the easiest engine he has worked with, so i doubt they'd dislike working with it again.

As for the lore, it'd be interesting to see how they can attempt to make things make sense. E.g. i liked how in New Vegas they used the fact that in Fallout 2 there is actual money but in Fallout 3 there are still bottle caps to introduce different currencies used by different factions and the consequences of that (NCR tries to force people use their own paper money but because it isn't widely accepted in the region there is a conversion penalty, Legion tries to use its own currency, etc) as well as the issues that come with sticking with caps (people making new "counterfeit" caps using equipment from bottling factories). That would require some strong writing chops of course.

soulburner

Cipher
I don't think Microsoft is going to pressure anyone to make a new Fallout game. Their approach to their acquired studios is pretty much hands-off. Even if it becomes a reality, I do not think they will necessarily try to get Obsidian on board, unless The Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed are hugely successful.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I have a feeling New Vegas 2 is going to be a reality and it'll probably be Sawyer at the helm or Obsidian at the very least.
I'm not sure Microsoft would be happy letting the Fallout IP lay dormant for nearly a decade with only Fallout 76 to represent it while Toddler works on the next Elder Scrolls.
I also feel like any New Vegas 2 will try way too hard to recapture what New Vegas had that it'll end up feeling tryhard and cringe. Probably pozzed to hell except it will be blatant "current year" type shit.

Why is there even a need for a new Fallout game set in New Vegas? What's there stopping Microsoft from asking Obsidian to make a Fallout 5, which can then be set in Florida or something? Toddler can make a Fallout 6 after he is done with TES VI, which wouldn't happen for many years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom