Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As in really simplistic dungeons?
Yes. Radio tower plus those locations make up the tutorial so simplicity is necessary.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adam and Josh talk a bit about Obsidian's current situation and future plans in the second half of this interview:

Adam says the company is in good shape. Confirmed that the next Kickstarter is in the works (yes, Adam actually says "Kickstarter", but then remembers to mention Fig as well). Josh talks a bit about PoE2, restating some things he said in the panel and also saying that it'll move to a more exotic setting like BG2 did.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BG2 was exotic? :?

The setting was exotic. To be honest, I think Bioware were kind of trying to have it both ways with that game. Amn was some kind of fantasy Renaissance Spain where the Moorish culture had been absorbed instead of expelled, but that stuff was heavily de-emphasized in the actual game (except the graphics, some music and some names)

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
10729.jpg
Not one of the Codex proudest moments.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Adam says the company is in good shape.
Like he could say anything else. They're always afraid of how their company looks, always afraid to show weakness lest some publisher fucks them in the ass. They like to take it, but they're always acting like a virgin, trying to look pure and angelic, while they're basically sitting on some mmo cock.

Fairfax

Arcane
Not one of the Codex proudest moments.
It's alright to disagree (not that I do, PST is my #1 as well) but it's Planescape: Torment we're talking about, not ME2 or something shameful as that. It's easily top 3, and that's up for grabs between the games that ended up there.
Now Morrowind at #7...that was disappointing even as a lurker.

The Codex top 70: a poll that will live in infamy. Ultima 7 reduced to #33. The storyfags did this, and I vomit a little inside my mouth every time I see it. The storyfag is ever desirous to promote the mediocre, or just plain shitty, over gameplay so long as their degenerate lust for narrative is served. And then they all come along, the good Codexers, and each one has his decent storyfag. Of course the other storyfags swine, but this one is a first-class storyfag. Humbug. Was there any form of decline without at least one storyfag promoting in it? If you cut even cautiously into such a sore, you find like a maggot in a rotting body, often dazzled by the sudden light – a storyfag.

Nuclear Explosion

The Codex top 70: a poll that will live in infamy. Ultima 7 reduced to #33. The storyfags did this, and I vomit a little inside my mouth every time I see it. The storyfag is ever desirous to promote the mediocre, or just plain shitty, over gameplay so long as their degenerate lust for narrative is served.
Ultima 7's combat is awful; I was under the impression that it was a storyfag and explorefag game.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Yeah combat is largely automated and an abortion, but I think as well as story and exploration that it's also for a mechanics and gameplay fag, if there's such a thing? You're given so many tools and options to interact with the world, and they're all viable: You're hungry so go to a pub and buy food, or hunt an animal and eat its meat, or steal out of homes, or go and bake bread, or travel to a slaughterhouse and buy cheap, or fish now with mods etc. You're given a living breathing world to interact with, and the ability to do so as you wish.

Fairfax

Arcane
You think that's bad, Ultima 7 is at 33 level pegging with Dragon Age Origins, that's just a massive slap in the face.
That's a blow indeed, but it's still the best CRPG list out there. All it needs is a better voting system next time around.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That's a blow indeed, but it's still the best CRPG list out there. All it needs is a better voting system next time around.
Only those approved by the management are allowed to vote? The Codex version of old time "only those that own some land are allowed to vote?"

Fairfax

Arcane
Only those approved by the management are allowed to vote? The Codex version of old time "only those that own some land are allowed to vote?"
I meant more like a different score system, or maybe everyone posts their own top XX and eaach spot gets a different amount of points, something like that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I meant more like a different score system, or maybe everyone posts their own top XX and eaach spot gets a different amount of points, something like that.
Of people need to invest their brofists to vote, every X amount of brofists invested is worth one vote :)
Lets everyone vote but those with better standing on the forums are worth a bit more :)

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Of people need to invest their brofists to vote, every X amount of brofists invested is worth one vote :)
Lets everyone vote but those with better standing on the forums are worth a bit more :)
Three points to consider:
1. the results might be a tad skewed when the person with most brofists has more than ranks 3 through 20 combined
2. being able to harvest brofists with posted memes does not imply having better taste in video games
3. anus_pounder is back, resulting in increased broflation

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Too bad someone hasn't added turn-based combat to Ultima VII with Exult, to get rid of the fucking terrible Clusterfuck Combat System™, that would certainly improve things a little bit. The combat in VIII was OK, but in that, you are only controlling one character though.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BG2 was exotic? :?

Any FR setting that doesn't take place between Luskan and Baldurs Gate is a breath of fresh air

NEW FROM X COMPANY ~~~ AN EXOTIC NEW LAND OF.. Southern Sword Coast.. :roll:

The setting was exotic. To be honest, I think Bioware were kind of trying to have it both ways with that game. Amn was some kind of fantasy Renaissance Spain where the Moorish culture had been absorbed instead of expelled, but that stuff was heavily de-emphasized in the actual game (except the graphics, some music and some names)

Renaissance Spain? Did the Spanish have clay building architecture?

I think they just took a traditional Sword Coast location and splashed in large undertones of Arabian / Middle Eastern themes, especially in the market place areas and the promenade (as well as the music.. how is that Spanish?).

Amn sits between the "Northern" Influences like Waterdeep and Baldurs Gate and the Southern continent of Calimshan. So I always saw the city as a hybrid of the two. Not sure where you get Spanish from besides the conquistador style armour all the guards are wearing..

(Although granted.. I know more about FR then real life history because I'm an idiot)

:love:Waukeen Promenade Music

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
I'm not seeing what was so exotic about it except for the Arabian architecture in that one area in Athkatla.

If anything, it could be argued it was more traditional fantasy than the first Baldur's Gate, what with the increased focus on elves, dragons and other high fantasy staples. :M

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
I'm not seeing what was so exotic about it except for the Arabian architecture in that one area in Athkatla.

If anything, it could be argued it was more traditional fantasy than the first Baldur's Gate, what with the increased focus on elves, dragons and other high fantasy staples. :M

It wasn't just the one area. The entire city was full of domes and stuff.

But yeah, that's what I mean by Bioware trying to have it both ways. They put the game in this half-Arabian-looking city but what they really wanted to do was a typical high level D&D campaign, so let's not really actually talk about the city or its politics or any of that stuff and instead bring in the DRAGONS, VAMPIRES, DROW AND BEHOLDERS

Renaissance Spain?

Yes. Does this remind you of anything: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cordell

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom