Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Excuse me if I'm late, but I think I get what happened between Obsidian and Chris now.

Sawyer and Feargus are the people who try and be creative without going overbudget. This can be seen in PoE clearly. Chris is the opposite, he comes up with crazy ideas even if they're bigger than what's possible. So, handing Chris the task of "Open world, skyrim." most likely ended up with an amazing, but impossible at Obsidian's level type of game. Especially for kickstarter.

At the moment, he seems attached to inXile, working on Torment, as well as finishing off other things he agreed to be in, which leads me to a second theory:

Perhaps he realised that he didn't contribute much to Obsidian after the project was cancelled, it's plausible he just thought that finally going 100% freelance was a good career move in the end.

Fairfax

Arcane
Excuse me if I'm late, but I think I get what happened between Obsidian and Chris now.

Sawyer and Feargus are the people who try and be creative without going overbudget. This can be seen in PoE clearly. Chris is the opposite, he comes up with crazy ideas even if they're bigger than what's possible. So, handing Chris the task of "Open world, skyrim." most likely ended up with an amazing, but impossible at Obsidian's level type of game. Especially for kickstarter.

At the moment, he seems attached to inXile, working on Torment, as well as finishing off other things he agreed to be in, which leads me to a second theory:

Perhaps he realised that he didn't contribute much to Obsidian after the project was cancelled, it's plausible he just thought that finally going 100% freelance was a good career move in the end.
I don't have that impression. Alpha Protocol's troubled development wasn't his fault, and the stuff he wrote for the GM and Durance sounded very unusual, but in practical terms it was not "bigger than what's possible". Having his project cancelled was probably the straw that broke the camel's back, but I doubt it was the only reason.

He says he wants to be project lead again, which is not something he can do from a distance. Could he be Van Buren's project lead for InXile as a freelancer? Would be interesting to see.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't have that impression. Alpha Protocol's troubled development wasn't his fault

Ah yes, the good old mindless Avellone worship. Everything bad that happened under his watch is never his fault. Everything good that happens under his watch, he is solely responsible for every single design decision, every single piece of code and every single line of dialogue, and 50+ people working on the projects were just picking their noses.

Fairfax

Arcane
Ah yes, the good old mindless Avellone worship. Everything bad that happened under his watch is never his fault. Everything good that happens under his watch, he is solely responsible for every single design decision, every single piece of code and every single line of dialogue, and 50+ people working on the projects were just picking their noses.
Call it what you will, he wasn't producer or project lead, and SEGA went out of their way to fuck with the game. His mistakes are only related to game design, the only aspect where he's open to criticism there. Get your facts straight before shitposting.

Wellllllll... Ultimately he was the CCO for OEI at the time, so you would think he would have been keeping a closer eye on Mitsoda during pre-prod.

The fact that they had to rewrite THE ENTIRE GAME during production really doesn't speak well of anyone, no matter how tangentially they were involved.

Lhynn

Arcane
You are probably the worst newfag this year.

Lhynn

Arcane
Doesn't change the fact that he's completely right in this case.
MCA wasnt even in my radar before i joined the codex and i was still a fan of his work.
That his games are usually buggy doesnt take away from the fact that they are fun to play have a very interesting narrative.

Lhynn

Arcane
KOTOR2 sure was fun to play.

:nocountryforshitposters:
But it was. The gameplay may not have been very good, but thats on bioware. The storytelling was p. fucking amazing and kept me interested during the entire game, i liked the characters, and even those i hated, i enjoyed hating.

Also
Gotofull.jpg

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
MCA wasnt even in my radar before i joined the codex and i was still a fan of his work.
That his games are usually buggy doesnt take away from the fact that they are fun to play have a very interesting narrative.

I'm also a fan of his work.

That doesn't mean I worship his every footstep like 10 year old girl worshiping Justin Bieber. Avellone obsession around this place is pure celebrity worship. People were going on about how bad Ag Centre in Wasteland is, until it turned out it was designed by Chris, at which point it magically turned out its not his fault the area sucks.

:what:

Fairfax

Arcane

That doesn't mean I worship his every footstep like 10 year old girl worshiping Justin Bieber. Avellone obsession around this place is pure celebrity worship. People were going on about how bad Ag Centre in Wasteland is, until it turned out it was designed by Chris, at which point it magically turned out its not his fault the area sucks.

:what:
:butthurt:

Bullshit and you know it. :0/5:

Lhynn

Arcane

Gotta love the tryhard faggots that twist everything in the hope of harvesting some KKK.
First, the dude is responsible for the second most beloved game in the entire site, hes also responsible for some of the most loved games by storyfags around. So lets judge him by level design. He fucks up? oh god, hes a fraud! hes a hack! no, hes a hackfraud!
Some guy jokingly says hes dreamy, other faggots join in the game and everyone gets a good laugh. Oh noes, the codex threw objectivity out the window! MCA is so overrated!

You are so full of shit its amazing you havent exploded yet, i wont be surprised if one of these days i hear a loud POP and we never hear from you again.

Edit: Fair point LizardWizard Happy?

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Gotta love the tryhard faggots that twist everything in the hope of harvesting some KKK.

hes a fraud!

Never said that.

hes a hack!

Never said that.

no, hes a hackfraud!?

Also never said that.

But good job making up bunch of shit I've never said, and then getting outraged about figments of your imagination

Only servers to prove the point that you're no different than this guy:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The gameplay may not have been very good, but thats on bioware.

Obsidian made some really bad content for kotor2, I'm thinking of the second half of Nar Shaddaa specifically.

The first half was all right. The funny thing is that Avellone designed both parts (up until you leave the planet).

People were going on about how bad Ag Centre in Wasteland is, until it turned out it was designed by Chris, at which point it magically turned out its not his fault the area sucks.

I thought Ag Center and Highpool were all right for what they were. O____O

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom