Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if Kickstarter reaches $2.1mil

Alex

Arcane
commie

My problem is that they will affect dialog. In fact, I wouldn't have any problem if Obsidian was going to do the programming but left all the creative parts up to Inxile. Maybe I am very wrong here, and I hope to be, but a lot of the old-school game design doesn't mesh well with detailed, refined dialogs and story-lines. Hopefully that design document they are owing us will shed some light in there.

Hegel

Arcane
A glorious dawn for fair Codexia as the incline wars neared their end.

:hero::mca:

tindrli

Arcane
i just cant stop thinking that this obsidian shit is not the way to go...
Once again I have to ask why? Just curious...

i dont want to argue..codex is my family and ... and.. i mean.. just...

Code:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (2004) (Xbox, PC)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006) (PC, Mac OS X)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (2007) (PC)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (2008) (PC)
Alpha Protocol (2010) (PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
Fallout: New Vegas (2010)[8] (Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
Dungeon Siege III (2011)[15] (Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
South Park: The Game (2012)[16] (Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
Wheel of Time (in development)[17] (Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)

do you really need more??? :deadhorse:

im totally agreed if some of those people will help DRAW & paint things but thats it.. and the more that im thinking, Mr. Fargo does not need Obsidian any any way... any at all..

I might me an idiot but to tell you the truth.. Freakin wasteland is one of the few games that still gives the hope and i just dont want another MAJESTIC!!!!!... dont want it.. uffffffffffff

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
commie

My problem is that they will affect dialog. In fact, I wouldn't have any problem if Obsidian was going to do the programming but left all the creative parts up to Inxile. Maybe I am very wrong here, and I hope to be, but a lot of the old-school game design doesn't mesh well with detailed, refined dialogs and story-lines. Hopefully that design document they are owing us will shed some light in there.

At last, a valid concern !
If it can ease your mind, think that Avellone played Wasteland as a youngster, and that he knows what can be done regarding the setting, while respecting its mood.
Besides, kickstarter update suggests he would be the only one helping in the writing department, even if he wanted to he wouldn't be able to take over. He'll have to fit in the existing team and the already existing design.

Hegel

Arcane

Code:

im totally agreed if some of those people will help DRAW & paint things but thats it.. and the more that im thinking, Mr. Fargo does not need Obsidian any any way... any at all..

I might me an idiot but to tell you the truth.. Freakin wasteland is one of the few games that still gives the hope and i just dont want another MAJESTIC!!!!!... dont want it.. uffffffffffff
Dude, they were all pretty decent games, deal with it, go play ME3 or DA2 and get your benchmark straight.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Code:

Dunno, but not counting the three last games (didn't play long with DS3 and SP and WoT didn't come out) have decent to great writing. You could argue "cover based shooter", "terrible camera" and other stuff, but here it's design only with MCA and writing is what he does best.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait...so now even MotB sucks? And New Vegas? New Vegas sucks? Really? You guys are fucking nuts.

Cosmo

Arcane
where does it say he'll be the only one working on it for Obsidian?

Chris Avellone, is going to work with our team on the design and writing of the game
Doesn't specifically say he'll be the only one, even if it could be interpreted like that...
But what money would cost hiring an Obsidian team during the whole development ? 500,000 $ isn't that large an amount, especially since we don't known what percentage of that sum will go to Obsidian...

Stinger

Arcane
Real bros stick together.

Fargoslap2.jpg

:bro:

Glad to see my original 'shop being used for justice.

Also, fuuuuck I really wish I had some way of donating to this. Everything about this is pure :incline:

:love::mca:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Code:

Have to say, except for the last three and SoZ, the writing was pretty descent and I enjoyed that aspect of them.

curry

Arcane
Chris Avellone, is going to work with our team on the design and writing of the game
Doesn't specifically say he'll be the only one, even if it could be interpreted like that...
But what money would cost hiring an Obsidian team during the whole development. 500,000 $ isn't that large an amount, especially since we don't known what percentage of that sum will go to Obsidian...

Probably everything. The target was $1.6M and was changed to $2.1M after the announcement. Remember that the development can take a pretty long time so even a few employees will end up costing them a lot PLUS I'd imagine they have to pay a decent sum for Obsidian's engine.

So just sign here and here to give up your soul gold
2liegja.gif

Stinger

Arcane
Have to say, except for the last three and SoZ, the writing was pretty descent and I enjoyed that aspect of them.
The last one isn't even real. And the second last one hasn't come out yet.

So basically they all have great writing except SoZ and DS3 (and the NWN2 OC in my opinion) and SoZ makes up for that with it's fantastic gameplay.

Stabwound

Arcane
Jesus, if you read the press release and Fargo/Avellone's comments, it's pretty obvious that he's the only one signed on to work on it. But launching a PR that that mentions MCA only isn't going to draw as much attention as mentioning Obsidian.

Besides, he gets Wasteland; read his blog: http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-160-kickstarter-and-wasteland-2-thoughts/

Only good things are going to come of this if you ask me.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wait...so now even MotB sucks? And New Vegas? New Vegas sucks? Really? You guys are fucking nuts.
Hard to say....if you think that Obsdian took the shitty Fallout 3 and transformed into F:NV, it's a glorious masterpiece. But if you think of it as a Fallout game, is kind of lacking, especially the gameplay (not that Obsidian could do much about)...BUT the writing and quests are quite good nevertheless.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Even though I still remain a bit sceptical about this whole deal (it all sounds just too good to be true) why couldn't they've announced this a day earlier? I've blown all my available money on some tablet, a camera and some assets just some hours earlier before they posted this news and would've upped my pledge otherwise.

:rage:

tindrli

Arcane

Code:

Dude, they were all pretty decent games, deal with it, go play ME3 or DA2 and get your benchmark straight.

dont now about you but I DONT WANT WASTELAND TO BE CLASSIFIED AS DECENT MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!! AND NO I DONT WANT ANOTHER GOD DAMN ALPHA PROTOCOL NOT TO MENTION THE GREATEST DISGRACE OF ALL TIMES DSIII. and since you like obsidian so much maybe you should try that ME 3 and gay age II. bah...

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
But if you think of it as a Fallout game, is kind of lacking, especially the gameplay (not that Obsidian could do much about)...BUT the writing and quests are quite good nevertheless.

Not really. Thematically and atmospherically it is indeed a great Fallout game. Combat and gameplay does suck, but what the heck were they going to do? We all knew what the product's limitations were the second NV was announced. Some of the quests and the writing thereof are some of the best things to happen to the series, imo. And heck, they did even try to make some of the gameplay better w/ hardcore mode and tweaking VATS.

Cosmo

Arcane
There was more RPG in Kotor 2 NPC interactions than anything since... wait... Torment ?
New Vegas was extremely good.
The others are watered down products made to survive in the industry.
Alpha Brotocol was an heroic but doomed effort to be innovative while staying in the confines of the popamole.

Probably everything. The target was $1.6M and was changed to $2.1M after the announcement. Remember that the development can take a pretty long time so even a few employees will end up costing them a lot PLUS I'd imagine they have to pay a decent sum for Obsidian's engine.

So just sign here and here to give up your soul gold
2liegja.gif

Are you dense ? From the beginning Fargo talked about the 2M stage, that meant putting even more content and shiny bits. Of course, you could always present me some evidence backing your point, couldn't you ?
And for the part about selling one's soul, it's so :balance: that i honestly don't know where to begin... :lol:
Just try to take off those blinkers, maybe one day you'll manage to stumble upon a valid point.

Hegel

Arcane

Code:

dont now about you but I DONT WANT WASTELAND TO BE CLASSIFIED AS DECENT MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!! AND NO I DONT WANT ANOTHER GOD DAMN ALPHA PROTOCOL NOT TO MENTION THE GREATEST DISGRACE OF ALL TIMES DSIII. and since you like obsidian so much maybe you should try that ME 3 and gay age II. bah...
ITT the reason why the Codex should be a pay per post site.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But if you think of it as a Fallout game, is kind of lacking, especially the gameplay (not that Obsidian could do much about)...BUT the writing and quests are quite good nevertheless.

Not really. Thematically and atmospherically it is indeed a great Fallout game. Combat and gameplay does suck, but what the heck were they going to do? We all knew what the product's limitations were the second NV was announced. Some of the quests and the writing thereof are some of the best things to happen to the series, imo. And heck, they did even try to make some of the gameplay better w/ hardcore mode and tweaking VATS.
Yes, the whole point is, if they did that with shitty popamole Fallout 3, they could do some really great stuff with Wasteland 2!

Stinger

Arcane
I don't get it. inXile's track record has been spotty up until now but the reasoning for Wasteland 2 being fucking awesome was that up until now they had suffered publisher interference.

Obsidian has made better games with the same interference but their contribution will make the game suck?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom