Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian to reveal a new game at GDC 2014

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I really hope it's a steampunk game for once. They don't even have to advertise it as a spiritual sequel to Arcanum (which isn't that popular outside the Codex),

It doesn't even seem to be that popular here.

Scores well in the polls.

It doesn't even seem to be that popular here.
That's because there's too many faggots. Waaah the combat sucks therefore everything sucks

Well, combat is like 80% of content (which is also Obsidian's problem in their games).

If Obsidian were to make another Fallout game, I'm sure it would be Bethseda who'd announce it. So a Fallout game seems unlikely.

I dont believe that the new game is going to be Fallout game, but this point is invalid. The fact that Obsidian will announce it doesnt mean that there wont be bethesda representative with them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It will either be Steampunk or Sci-Fi. I can't really see them being able to sell any other genre.

Cyber punk setting would be fucking cool. But I doubt that.

Alex

Arcane
Beavis and Butthead RPG pls. The have the engine and systems already in place from that other game, all they need is new art assets and go. And jokes that don't suck.

Would the game cut to random music clips every 10 minutes or so?

Wizfall

Cipher
I don't expect anything but an action cRPG unfortunately.
That's just the kind of game Obsidian does, they are not in TB.
PE is as old school as they want to go and the exception being RTwP iso.
So something like FNV gameplay/design wise.
It's not that bad, i enjoyed FNV but despite playing it quite a lot, i never find it really good or memorable.
I would have no interest in backing an action cRPG if they go kicksatater (but it doesn't look like it will be a kickstarter game anyway) .

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That doesn't really mean anything. At a company like Obsidian, various ideas get floated all the time. But if Eternity is incorporating anything then it's The Black Hound.

I'm pretty sure Pillars of Eternity incorporates some hazy ideas Obsidian developers had about Wheel of Time.
Have they given any indication at all about that or are you just going with what you feel?

Just how I feel, of course. But the basic idea of The Wheel of Time is a soul (the Dragon) reincarnates across time to oppose evil, with a large focus on 'eternity'. If the Pillars of Eternity protagonist confronts a similar situation (which seems quite likely since it would enable them to recycle the character across new life times in subsequent additions to the franchise), then that's the confirmation I need. "No Sleep For the Watcher" in the trailer suggests the character is a being called the 'the Watcher' who reincarnates across many life times.

Plus the titles, "Wheel of Time" and "Pillars of Eternity" -- both cosmic constructs that uphold the order of reality as we know it.

himmy

Arcane
I'm pretty sure Pillars of Eternity incorporates some hazy ideas Obsidian developers had about Wheel of Time.
Have they given any indication at all about that or are you just going with what you feel?

I think he's referring to the high-voltage speculation that took place in the days of the pre-Kickstarter countdown when many people, especially on the official forums, seemed to be bet-their-firstborn-sure that the announcement will be a Wheel of Time RPG.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Just how I feel, of course. But the basic idea of The Wheel of Time is a soul (the Dragon) reincarnates across time to oppose evil, with a large focus on 'eternity'. If the Pillars of Eternity protagonist confronts a similar situation (which seems quite likely since it would enable them to recycle the character across new life times in subsequent additions to the franchise), then that's the confirmation I need. "No Sleep For the Watcher" in the trailer suggests the character is a being called the 'the Watcher' who reincarnates across many life times.

Plus the titles, "Wheel of Time" and "Pillars of Eternity" -- both cosmic constructs that uphold the order of reality as we know it.

The Pillars story involves the MC witnessing a supernatural event (can't remember if it leaves him marked or not). That's a lot closer to the black hound plot than what you describe.

The Pillars story involves the MC witnessing a supernatural event (can't remember if it leaves him marked or not). That's a lot closer to the black hound plot than what you describe.

Perhaps, but I would be surprised if they didn't at least consider it. A player character who reincarnates across different time periods is the sort of meta narrative device Black Isle/Obsidian acquired their reputation for storytelling with. It has great applicability to a Save File transfer system, since it provides an actual in-game explanation for why the character starts fresh stats-wise at the beginning of each game. And because each game would be set life times apart, there would be no need to explain why they can't have their old companions for each adventure, most of them having perished decades or centuries before.

And it has all sorts of reactivity potential. For instance, being evil in the first game but good in the second or vice versa could provoke some kind of response.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Same thing in Zelda, with a spirit reincarnating into the form of Link across the ages. That must mean that Obsidian's new game will be for Nintendo.... :M

Diggfinger

Arcane

That now hints a bit more again at publisher project.

I wouldnt mind a publisher project. As a matter of fact, I dislike comments from Urquhart and Avellone where they strongly hint at "user-financed games being the future" etc. etc. I think its a detrimental discourse, dispite their Kickstarter success. Just look at Fallout NW: would they ever had had the means do accomplish that without the means of Bethesda? No.

Kickstarter is cool but dont shoot yourselves in the foot, guys.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That now hints a bit more again at publisher project.

I wouldnt mind a publisher project. As a matter of fact, I dislike comments from Urquhart and Avellone where they strongly hint at "user-financed games being the future" etc. etc. I think its a detrimental discourse, dispite their Kickstarter success. Just look at Fallout NW: would they ever had had the means do accomplish that without the means of Bethesda? No.

Kickstarter is cool but dont shoot yourselves in the foot, guys.
Nah, they always say that publishers are needed for big projects. Obsidian is a big company, they know that they need publishers.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I wouldnt mind a publisher project. As a matter of fact, I dislike comments from Urquhart and Avellone where they strongly hint at "user-financed games being the future" etc..

You might be confusing Avellone and Urquhart with Brian Fargo.

Both of them stated that they WANT to continue publisher projects. (Avellone loves working on franchises)

As well as any other type of project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom