Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian to reveal a new game at GDC 2014

You would prefer five combat heavy games without much room for non-combat role-playing from a developer who has yet to develop a single game with GOOD and FUN combat, over one that does all parts good (though still without good and fun combat, obviously) ?

Priorities at the Codex, these days... explain how a certain Shitty Popamole Console Corridor Shooter was so well received here.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Yep, I surely prefer RPG with proper RPG system (and judging from character sheet screenshot, PoE has one) to Fallout 3 mod even if the latter is made by Obsidian and has decent writing.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I'm curious to see what they do but Feargus's last interview doesn't have me holding my breath. Episodic 2d skyrim? Ugh. I know a lot of people are tired of fantasy settings but personally I think there's still a ton of really interesting ground that can be covered with fantasy that has been explored in books but not in games yet (to my knowledge anyways).

Zeriel

Arcane
Never understood the love for New Vegas here. It is a pretty mediocre game that only stands out because the genre is so dead otherwise.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Never understood the love for New Vegas here. It is a pretty mediocre game that only stands out because the genre is so dead otherwise.

Well, the Codex definitely is a sucker for good writing! Personally, I also think NV is a good game (although not great), at least as far as the horrible engine allows it to be.

I suppose being released after FO3 did help it stand out more, though - it's possible that NV wouldn't have been so well received had there been no FO3 to precede it and create contrast by showing us how bad things could really be.

It's a bit like a lot of people loving Windows 7, for example - which I think is at least partly due to the fact that it's a successor to the dreadful Windows Vista. It's not even that different - it just fixes a lot of things that sucked in Vista, much like NV did for FO3.

Yep, I surely prefer RPG with proper RPG system (and judging from character sheet screenshot, PoE has one) to Fallout 3 mod even if the latter is made by Obsidian and has decent writing.

FNV isn't an RPG with a proper RPG system? Shit, what the hell I've been doing thinking I've been playing an RPG with a proper RPG system capable of accommodating diverse builds and exploring more C&C than in any other RPG I've played, unlike a certain dungeon-romp-RTS-game-turned-RPG series?

Diggfinger

Arcane

I agree. I thought Fallout 3 was great but besides a few cool changes (i.e. perks every second level) Vegas was but a "poor man's F3". Seriously, the long, tedious hours spend running around a barren wasteland without any noteworthy combat (besides those annoying bugs that could just kill you with two hits). Besides a few cool vaults this game seriously lacked well-made combat scenarios.

Also, the DLC for Vegas SUCKED. Seriously, I do not know what all the hype was about. Old Man Blues was the only half-way decent one but it was BORING AS HELL. I couldnt wait for that mindless piece of poo to be over. And the other ones..OMG...dont even get me started...

Haha. That is actually a pretty accurate way of describing New Vegas...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Kz3r0

Arcane

I agree. I thought Fallout 3 was great but besides a few cool changes (i.e. perks every second level) Vegas was but a "poor man's F3". Seriously, the long, tedious hours spend running around a barren wasteland without any noteworthy combat (besides those annoying bugs that could just kill you with two hits). Besides a few cool vaults this game seriously lacked well-made combat scenarios.

Also, the DLC for Vegas SUCKED. Seriously, I do not know what all the hype was about. Old Man Blues was the only half-way decent one but it was BORING AS HELL. I couldnt wait for that mindless piece of poo to be over. And the other ones..OMG...dont even get me started...

Ignored to reward the effort, see ya.

Diggfinger

Arcane
I thought Fallout 3 was great but besides a few cool changes (i.e. perks every second level) Vegas was but a "poor man's F3".
Welcome to the Codex, you will fit right in here. Your custom tag will be activated shortly.

Allow me to elaborate: I thought Bethesda did a great job of taking the Fallout franchise and building a new kind of game in it. While lighter on the RPG elements, I nontheless spend countless hours roaming through the wasteland (rendered in great 3D) shooting dudes heads off.

While Vegas was great (spend hundreds of hours on that aswell), one cannot objectively deny the fact that it was less detailed, less content-rich and had lower production values than F3 (not to mention that the game was a buggy mess). This was somewhat made up for with the more "Fallouty feel" (more jokes, lights etc.) but still - in all fairness Bethesda deserves praise for reviving this classic series and bringing it to a new generation.

Thanks to them, we actually got F3, Vegas and who knows what will come in the future? Fallout fans should be happy about that.

zwanzig_zwoelf

:2/5:
Would not get trolled again.

I think I should summon Roguey.

I thought Fallout 3 was great but besides a few cool changes (i.e. perks every second level) Vegas was but a "poor man's F3".
Welcome to the Codex, you will fit right in here. Your custom tag will be activated shortly.

Allow me to elaborate: I thought Bethesda did a great job of taking the Fallout franchise and building a new kind of game in it. While lighter on the RPG elements, I nontheless spend countless hours roaming through the wasteland (rendered in great 3D) shooting dudes heads off.

While Vegas was great (spend hundreds of hours on that aswell), one cannot objectively deny the fact that it was less detailed, less content-rich and had lower production values than F3 (not to mention that the game was a buggy mess). This was somewhat made up for with the more "Fallouty feel" (more jokes, lights etc.) but still - in all fairness Bethesda deserves praise for reviving this classic series and bringing it to a new generation.

Thanks to them, we actually got F3, Vegas and who knows what will come in the future? Fallout fans should be happy about that.

I think Fallout fans would be happy if neither FO3 nor FNV would make it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm curious to see what they do but Feargus's last interview doesn't have me holding my breath. Episodic 2d skyrim? Ugh. I know a lot of people are tired of fantasy settings but personally I think there's still a ton of really interesting ground that can be covered with fantasy that has been explored in books but not in games yet (to my knowledge anyways).
He never said 2D. The things he said about graphics suggested they'd want to make a first/third person game but concerned about whether or not they can meet a standard most people would find acceptable.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
[one cannot objectively deny the fact that it was less detailed, less content-rich and had lower production values than F3 (not to mention that the game was a buggy mess)
WTF am I reading

:what:
zonlwEv.png

Diggfinger

Arcane
Vegas was but a "poor man's F3". Seriously, the long, tedious hours spend running around a barren wasteland without any noteworthy combat . Besides a few cool vaults this game seriously lacked well-made combat scenarios.
You're getting your games mixed, Fallout 3 was trash combat randomly spawned and level scaled, NV's encounters were hand placed and your sense of scale is blatantly wrong. I regularly fuck around with the geck in both games and I could list Fallout 3's shit encounters on one hand, New Vegas not only had more but they were higher quality and required more planning. Besides that, even if 3 had great encounters, the combat, weapons, and systems in that game were so mind numbingly awful that it wouldn't make a difference.

Also, the DLC for Vegas SUCKED. Seriously, I do not know what all the hype was about. Old Man Blues was the only half-way decent one but it was BORING AS HELL
Obvious troll is obvious, but still, Poe's law amirite? There's a decent chance that you really are this delusional. OWB has exactly the kind of trash combat that 3 did, and was filled with pointless nooks and crannies filled with shit, it was like Fallout 3 but not made by retards. It wasn't my favourite, but it was better than Beth's efforts.

While Vegas was great (spend hundreds of hours on that aswell), one cannot objectively deny the fact that it was less detailed, less content-rich and had lower production values than F3 (not to mention that the game was a buggy mess).
One can, in fact, deny that, in fact we can objectively say the exact opposite. If you had the brains to reference the wiki, you'd realize that New Vegas has more content in every aspect. More perks, more locations, enemies, characters , quests, weapons, traits, more voice actors, more dialogue, and leagues better voice cast than any other title in the Fallout series. It's scale, content, and production values are unrivalled by any Fallout title(Least of all that lifeless empty oblivion mod FO3), it had big names attached and was crafted by a massive studio, it had less bugs than 3 and the devs actually cared enough to not only patch it better than Bethesda did for their fuck up but even modded it to improve the experience long after it's release and the release of the DLCs. Like many other fans you must have a nostalgia boner for that steaming turd FO3, enjoy your coprophilia, but don't try to imply Bethesda deserves credit for anything. Their contributions to the series and it's lore can be summed up as: Mudcrabs, 3dog, and Gamebryo.

Also iron sights:troll:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Point taken....but the game world was smaller in Vegas (less locations). F3's world was more fleshed-out, probably due to bigger budget/more staff. (ex. from Vegas being the very barren wasteland).
Buddy, do you even understand the meaning of the word 'wasteland'?
If you think that there must be a person or building on every meter, RPGWatch is at your service.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Vegas was but a "poor man's F3". Seriously, the long, tedious hours spend running around a barren wasteland without any noteworthy combat . Besides a few cool vaults this game seriously lacked well-made combat scenarios.
You're getting your games mixed, Fallout 3 was trash combat randomly spawned and level scaled, NV's encounters were hand placed and your sense of scale is blatantly wrong. I regularly fuck around with the geck in both games and I could list Fallout 3's shit encounters on one hand, New Vegas not only had more but they were higher quality and required more planning. Besides that, even if 3 had great encounters, the combat, weapons, and systems in that game were so mind numbingly awful that it wouldn't make a difference.

Also, the DLC for Vegas SUCKED. Seriously, I do not know what all the hype was about. Old Man Blues was the only half-way decent one but it was BORING AS HELL
Obvious troll is obvious, but still, Poe's law amirite? There's a decent chance that you really are this delusional. OWB has exactly the kind of trash combat that 3 did, and was filled with pointless nooks and crannies filled with shit, it was like Fallout 3 but not made by retards. It wasn't my favourite, but it was better than Beth's efforts.

While Vegas was great (spend hundreds of hours on that aswell), one cannot objectively deny the fact that it was less detailed, less content-rich and had lower production values than F3 (not to mention that the game was a buggy mess).
One can, in fact, deny that, in fact we can objectively say the exact opposite. If you had the brains to reference the wiki, you'd realize that New Vegas has more content in every aspect. More perks, more locations, enemies, characters , quests, weapons, traits, more voice actors, more dialogue, and leagues better voice cast than any other title in the Fallout series. It's scale, content, and production values are unrivalled by any Fallout title(Least of all that lifeless empty oblivion mod FO3), it had big names attached and was crafted by a massive studio, it had less bugs than 3 and the devs actually cared enough to not only patch it better than Bethesda did for their fuck up but even modded it to improve the experience long after it's release and the release of the DLCs. Like many other fans you must have a nostalgia boner for that steaming turd FO3, enjoy your coprophilia, but don't try to imply Bethesda deserves credit for anything. Their contributions to the series and it's lore can be summed up as: Mudcrabs, 3dog, and Gamebryo.

Also iron sights:troll:

:codexisfor:

Anyway, no I have no "nostalgic boner" for anything (dont really know what that is). All I am saying is that F3 was a good game, Vegas made it better (in some aspects), although IMO the latter could have used more big combat scenarios to gave variety to all the questing (spend hours just running around Vegas). Maybe the battles where more "hand-placed", that I dont know. Might have to replay F3 to see the difference. Still, I think its fair to say we owe the basis of New Vegas to Bethesda.

Point taken....but the game world was smaller in Vegas (less locations). F3's world was more fleshed-out, probably due to bigger budget/more staff. (ex. from Vegas being the very barren wasteland).

mmqPUVZ.png

They are roughly the same but the city in FO3 is partitioned into an annoying amount of small corridors. It's like half the entire game is made up of Freesides.

As for the theme park design of the rest of the game world; well, it was made that way for a particular kind of crowd. A spectacle every 10 steps. It's okay, though; there is a place at the Codex even for consoletard scum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom