Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Prime Junta

I like the visuals. Refreshing change from the push to hyper-realism. It's well this side of uncanny valley, and it has a distinct art direction identity -- you can tell that it's not post-apoc-sci-fi-action-game-#664, and that counts for a lot.

I also like the pitch.

I guess we'll see if Cainarsky still have one more good game in them.

edit: and iggy pop heroin anthem yeeeaaah!

edit edit: also, not grimdark is :incline: at this point

Wesp5

Arcane
From the people that looked at Prey and thought "what an amazing commercial success - let's do basically the same thing, but even more generic!"

How can this be the same as Prey? This looks like a big open world maybe even stretching over several planets, not the same space station you will backtrack over and over and over again with little variation...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I do like The Passenger (and I referenced it first to the best I was able in Wannika 2 nyaah), hate the colors and the Summer Blockbuster Movie humor.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
you can tell that it's not post-apoc-sci-fi-action-game-#664
You can? From trailer, I can't. Animals seem to have escaped Mass Deffect: Andromeda, for example. Space ships are cool but variation of already seen, corporate logos and culture are nice looking, faces are peeled from Fallout 4 characters.

If I didn't know this was from Fathers of Fallout, Arcanum and Bloodlines I'd need to be told. Good thing they remind us of that fact in trailer. Twice :lol:

Trailer itself should have spoken that. Hopefully the game will

Kem0sabe

Arcane
My main questions about the game:

• Will player controlled space flight be a thing or will the player ship be more akin to KOTOR, to travel from location to location with a mini-game associated with it at most?
  • Will the map encompass the entire star system or just the main planet with a few off world locations?
  • Will it be open world or be a series of maps, and how big will they/it be?
  • How large will be the player party? one or two companions as the 3D fallouts?
  • What type of character stats and skill system are they using, will the shooting be real time skill based or stat derived?
  • Randomized loot or handcrafted?
  • Extensive weapon customization?
  • Will it be level scaled?

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
you can tell that it's not post-apoc-sci-fi-action-game-#664
If I didn't know this was from Fathers of Fallout, Arcanum and Bloodlines I'd need to be told. Good thing they remind us of that fact in trailer. Twice :lol:l
Sorry everyone for posting this, but ever since this "masterpiece" came out I cannot any longer trust old masters of the past. :cry:
Let's be cautious.

c21242890483a132074e324c92150211_original.jpg

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I like the visuals. Refreshing change from the push to hyper-realism. It's well this side of uncanny valley, and it has a distinct art direction identity -- you can tell that it's not post-apoc-sci-fi-action-game-#664, and that counts for a lot.

Absolutely not. In fact even within Game Awards 2018 reveals, there are already several games looking pretty similar, albeit with less identity. Even shooters like Far Cry are jumping the zany apocalypse bandwagon.

Prime Junta

• Will player controlled space flight be a thing or will the player ship be more akin to KOTOR, to travel from location to location with a mini-game associated with it at most?
  • Will the map encompass the entire star system or just the main planet with a few off world locations?
  • What type of character stats and skill system are they using, will the shooting be real time skill based or stat derived?

Those are some really fucking stupid questions, fam. None of them have any bearing on whether it'll be shit or not.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
The aesthetic choice is weird, it looks more appropriate for a murderhobo simulator than a more serious exploration of a setting. Hopefully they're not just trying to please Bethestards with this game.

Trailer is sheer marketing glitz that's meant to be flashy and even kind of gay (just like Tim), but I remember reading this last year, which bodes well:

“It was the opportunity to work with Tim on a new IP that we were creating from scratch again, because we did it on Fallout and Arcanum and those were great experiences and I just missed doing that, says Boyarsky, who most recently worked on Diablo III for Blizzard. “I missed working on single-player, in-depth RPGs with a lot of choice, consequence, and reactivity. I like making other types of games, but there is something special about the kind of games we started with Fallout that really appeals to us and speaks to us creatively.”

If the core experience is "single-player, in-depth RPGs with a lot of choice, consequence, and reactivity," who cares if it's wrapped in tons of glitter and all that faggot shit? As long as it's a proper RPG, bring it on.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Like what little I've seen so far, need to see/hear about gameplay to know whether it's worth trying. Sawyer is on board now I think, I'm sure he'll sort it.

Deleted Member 22431

One stupid trailer with grafix and the graphicwhores already came out of the woodwork in the most shameless manner. Filthy.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Those are some really fucking stupid questions, fam. None of them have any bearing on whether it'll be shit or not.

:excellent:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
also, not grimdark is :incline: at this point

Grimdark? In these days and age? Where? has Stalker 2 been released?

Yeah, this.

Sure, noone likes the goofy kinds of grimdark like emo.

But nowadays whenever people complain about grimdark it brings me back to a time when I was 10 years old and if a film or a TV show wasn't animated, colourful and goofy it was dull and boring.

The fact that 30+ years old men think in the same way perfectly matches my long-hold view about the fall of Man and rise of Manchild.

Prime Junta

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

But nowadays whenever people complain about grimdark it brings me back to a time when I was 10 years old and if a film or a TV show wasn't animated, colourful and goofy it was dull and boring.

The fact that 30+ years old men think in the same way perfectly matches my long-hold view about the fall of Man and rise of Manchild.

I doubt however the game is targeted at 30+ audience.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I doubt however the game is targeted at 30+ audience.

Today most of 30+ gamers are emotionally stuck at 10 so the aesthetics and the jokes fits perfectly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think some people have just seriously overdosed on Joss Whedon-style antics.

Me, I've watched three space movies that are like that. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, Thor Ragnarok. And like, I don't know, three isn't a big number. I can take a bit more of that. I'm not tired of it yet. That's just me though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom