Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Wesp5

Arcane
I am kinda indifferent on Starks but Patel did rather well with what she had in PoE and Deadfire IMHO.

I don't know these, but in my opinion it's a shame that Brian Mitsoda isn't involved because his writing in "Bloodlines" is great and very funny too. Which would fit well into the atmosphere the trailer implies! It just recently also occurred to me that the premise of the main plot is very close to that of "Rage": You are the first survivor of a larger group of frozen people which you try to awaken in the course of the game. I wonder if a surprise ending is possible with that setting like in "Bloodlines". I never played FO1 and FO2, do they include such a plot twist?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am kinda indifferent on Starks but Patel did rather well with what she had in PoE and Deadfire IMHO.

I don't know these, but in my opinion it's a shame that Brian Mitsoda isn't involved because his writing in "Bloodlines" is great and very funny too. Which would fit well into the atmosphere the trailer implies! It just recently also occurred to me that the premise of the main plot is very close to that of "Rage": You are the first survivor of a larger group of frozen people which you try to awaken in the course of the game. I wonder if a surprise ending is possible with that setting like in "Bloodlines". I never played FO1 and FO2, do they include such plot twists?

But that’s not the plot, it’s one possible plot. You can immediately betray the guy who wants you to thaw out your frozen comrades. Imagine if Bloodlines let you go to war with the Camarilla as soon as you get to Downtown.

You should play the original Fallouts immediately. How could you spend so many years modding a Troika game without playing the game that effectively created Troika?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
This game might be shit for all I care but I'll still buy it to show my support to Boyarsky and Cain and to pay off my debt to them. I haven't bought any of their games when it mattered (once I bought them they were either included to PC magazines or to discounted series like "Ekstra Klasyka" which costed 20 PLN or less). And I really wouldn't want their game to fare worse than PoE or some other Fallout 3.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'm going to be triggered. Let's be honest, ABC won't make another Arcanum because games like these don't sell well (and you wouldn't like such gem anyway) and I would like them see beating down less talented developers at their own (popamole) game. This most likely won't be an RPG but I'm hoping for enjoyable experience (so far it looks better than your ELEX).

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If i already didnt know codex has turned into a devolved bethesda forum long ago i might be disgusted. As it is im not quite sure whats the blip of emotion i feel reading the posts about how... its great that this game is somehow aping the bethesda gamebyro engine and new vegas mechanics.
Even the style to some extent.

Thats what codex has come to praise... a game by original Fallout devs looking and behaving like bethesda game. hahahah!
Pushed of course by one of my favorite shitstain scumbags around here. And desperately taken on by every devolved fanboi of "fun" - whatever that may be, and everything is. You just need to degrade your mind and soul enough to see it that way.
Like a junky.

As for those who cling to some kind of vapid hope of this game being created by Fallout devs...

Boyarsky: Well for me I still love the things I loved then, creating a world from scratch, it's just the best part about this. I love creating unique worlds with a unique feel and a unique look. The thing I do have to say I miss is that when we made Fallout and Arcanum, it was a very small team. We got to do all the stuff we're doing now but we also got to do…Tim did programming, I did design, like a lot of art on Fallout. I was the lead artist and the art director, and I was also doing like havlf the animations in the game, modelling stuff, texture mapping. I didn't end up scripting on that one, but I scripted in Arcanum. Working on those small teams you end up having your hand in everything.

And this is not such a team so...

For [The Outer Worlds] we are much more directors. It's our vision, but we have a lot of very talented and wonderful people that we're working with who have done things that, especially from an art standpoint, I don't know that I would have brought it in that direction, but in a good way. We pointed them in a direction and they ran in directions that we never could have anticipated. In a way that's very rewarding because you feel like you gave people a germ of an idea and they got to make it their own and it comes back to you and you see what people have done. But on the other hand, I'm not in there doing that every day. I'm making sure people are heading to the right destination and fulfilling our vision of the game. I've been able to do some writing, some hands-on art direction, but for the most part a lot of people are doing the actual nuts-and-bolts work that we used to do on a day-to-day basis.

And it shows, sir. It shows.

This game isnt original in any way, nor is it unique, or has any kind of unique feel, look, style, gameplay, atmosphere or heart.

Your game needs the day-to-day hands on approach, and this one has none.
So it isnt yours, but a malnourished, cheap, bland, uninspired, amalgam of cliches and vapid nonsensical crap made by and for lowest common denominators.

Which you think about as your target audience.

Cain: We always like to joke, "Let's just make the games we like, and hopefully people will play them." We have been trying to understand what people have been asking for.

Mhm, sure. Only... what kind of people? There are different people out there. Shocking i know. Not just that one group you fantasize about.
The group that is somehow asking for this bland, pathetic cliche fest that somehow is actually trying to look like a bethesda game. If you believe some devolved absurd sycopanths.

Nobody fucking asked for that.

Boyarsky: Yeah but it's less of a thing where we go, "Look at what people are looking for." We really don't want people to be saying, "Wow, this is a great RPG, you know the combat is just okay, but the RPG stuff is great."
That, it seems is another of the prevailing wishful thinking theories right now.

Is this interview trying to be sarcastic?
You seem to be hitting every stair on the way down.

One of our goals is that we want combat to be fun.
bwahahaha!

One of our main goals here, as with all of the games we made together, we want people to be able to play this game any way they want to play. We want the person who wants to play as the upstanding, righteous hero who would never do anything a little bit gray to have fun and role-play the way they want to, as much as the person who wants to play the psychopath that wants to kill everyone in their way. Both of those should be fun.

Fun? Why would playing and behaving like a psychopath be... fun?
Or the other opposite extreme too. Is that the "depth" of storytelling and narrative you can reach? Or is it being conformist to lowest common denominators and going for the cheapest sleaziest crap to satisfy superficial imbeciles and brainless devolved turds of humanity.
Is that the goal to strive for, as developed and nurtured through examples of most valuable and best works of storytelling in human history?

edit: to be fair i noticed talk about playing as an anti-hero in some other interview. Thats the least bit of a spark in this blandness of intentions and anti-inspirational crud. Cliche as it also may be at least it provides an opportunity for something better. Remains to be seen how it will be executed and right now i would bet its nothing more then playing a schizophrenic character.

Cain: Plus, one thing, in the '90s you could do things no one had ever done before because everything was so young and it was a bit of a Wild West of an industry. Now every time you think of something and you look, it's like, "Oh, this game did it. This indie game did it five years ago." It's hard to think of something that is completely original.

Yup.

Obviously.

Btw, no work of art was ever "completely original" and such a demand or goal is nonsensical absurdity. Which makes using it as an excuse for succumbing to low uninspired cliches just all the worse.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It has more than four dialogs options. Incline.

Deadfire has the most dialogue options of any RPG, so anything less would be decline.

3fpushn.jpg

F6AFu8l.jpg
You can have a shit ton of dialogue and dialogue options. Just like most of your posts and polls, it doesn't mean anything if all the dialogue is shit. So it's fitting that you like PoE so much

Deleted Member 22431

This is in no small measure due to New Vegas, which even most normies agree was superior to the Beth Fallouts.

The recent release of Fallout New Vegas has left the gaming community abuzz. Would we get a worthwhile title, or was this actually released too soon? I’ve been playing it for the last couple weeks now, and I’m convinced I’ve barely scratched the surface. We’ve already reviewed it here, but now, I’m set to take a look at it to close out the week. As much as I liked Fallout New Vegas, I just don’t think it stacks up to its previous installment. Fallout 3, so far, has been better than Fallout New Vegas, and here are the top six reasons why.

6. Too many continuity issues. I understand that Fallout 3 isn’t related to Fallout New Vegas, but we ARE in the same universe here. And as such, there were plenty of strange details no one seems to be willing to account for. For instance, while it was good to see the Brotherhood of Steel still up and running, I expected their presence to be a lot bigger given how near to their home ground they were. And where was the Enclave? For crying out loud, the Enclave is one state away! How is it NOT interfering? Surely the Enclave didn’t lose sufficient forces in the oil rig disaster to not have a presence left in California! Surely everybody didn’t pack up for the Capitol Wasteland! And while we’re at it, we’re in Nevada this time. Aliens got their own downloadable content in Fallout 3, but we can’t go to Roswell? Area 51? I’d like to at least see the Area 2 the Boomers were talking about where they landed their upgraded weapons. I can’t find it as is. Maybe there are explanations for some of this in the likely upcoming downloadable content, but for right now, lots of strange gray areas exist.

5. Frequent bugs. Sure, Fallout 3 was not without its issues–strange animal / rock hybrids where the various horrors of the Wasteland had fused with rocks–but they’re all over in Fallout New Vegas. I have lost multiple save games to Fallout New Vegas’ strange memory issues (seemingly whenever I come out of Vault 3), and once, I fell through the floor at the train tunnel near the Boomers’ camp. I was magically deposited in front of the exit, but it was still pretty weird. My companions would appear and disappear at random. I even had problems with the loading screen locking up. That roulette wheel suddenly stopping was an active heartbreaker. Sure, there are patches now, and that’s great. But still–even with patches, plenty of people are still having troubles.

4. Forced replay value. The game depends heavily on factions. Whether you’re working with the New California Republic, Caesar’s Legion, Mr. House, or just working for an independent New Vegas, you’re working for somebody. But what this means is that you can’t see everything your first trip through. Because once you get sufficiently deep in with some faction, you’ll be shunned by the other factions. My first playthrough found me committed to an independent New Vegas, and after starting to work with Mr. House, I was told that the NCR and Caesar’s Legion weren’t interested in working with me. That means, unlike the original, you can’t do everything in one go. You essentially have to restart (or go back to saves before you find yourself committed to one faction or another) in order to see how everything comes out.

3. Relatively limited story. Where with Fallout 3, you’d find both a larger story and a whole array of little stories. Whether you’re trying to help the Brotherhood of Steel wipe out the Enclave or you’re just out to save Megaton from an atomic fireball, you had all manner of stories. But in Fallout New Vegas, you’ll often find locations that seem to have no purpose. My time at Coyote Tail Ridge was a largely pointless venture, and I still find myself wondering what it means. I can’t find any actual purpose, other than a handful of graves nearby. It seems unconnected to any story, and…it’s just there. Why is it there? The Wiki gives me some story about NCR ambush teams and the whole Great Khans thing, but is this worth making a location out of it?

2. Radio options fewer. First, it IS awesome that they got Wayne Newton to handle the voice of Mr. New Vegas. That’s great. It’s wonderful, it truly is. But that having been said, Mr. New Vegas is no Three Dog. The news does not keep up the way it did back in Fallout 3. I remember Three Dog being horrified when I sent a horde of feral ghouls rampaging through Tenpenny Tower, and being filled with hope when I got Brian Wilks a home in the Capitol Wasteland. Mr. New Vegas, meanwhile, is too busy schmoozing to invisible characters to bother too much with what I do, and that detachment is disappointing. Dammit, Wayne, I just sent a horde of Caesar’s Legion slavers to their fiery deaths in Nelson, the least you can do is stop flirting with whatever blue hair happens to be listening long enough to say something about it! Oh, you did? No, you said the NCR took it back. The NCR stood around looking stupid while I handed Dead Sea his silly little skirt, but do you mention me? Oh no. Not you.

1. Increased emphasis on speech challenges. This annoyed me, and annoyed many of the folks I talked about with this, but for some reason, Fallout New Vegas depends a lot more on speech challenges than anything else. I, like many of my contemporaries, began by tricking out my skills in firearms and explosives, lockpicks and medicine and the like. But as it turns out, the biggest part of this game seemed to be the thing I usually needed least, especially in the last go-round. Sure, in Fallout 3, if I was a smooth talker I could get some things done. But in Fallout: New Vegas, I’m at a serious disadvantage if I can’t talk straight. It’s almost preposterous how much of this game depends on my ability to talk my way out of a fight instead of blast my way out of it with something heavy, and energy based.

Let’s not forget the central thrust here. For the most part, Fallout New Vegas is a great game, a fantastic time and well worth your time to play. It just has a rough time competing with its predecessor, and hopefully, as the inevitable flood of DLC emerges, Fallout New Vegas will only get better. But as it sits right now, it just can’t beat its predecessor. The student has not yet surpassed the master…though it may.

The game was the sequel of FO:3, uses FO:3 engine and had millions in marketing. Things they enjoy in F:NV are the filler quests and the popamoler shooting, but the things we enjoy in F:NV is the writing and reactivity. But even if the popamoler shooting and the millions in sales, you will find many posts such as these:

New Vegas has ruined fallout 3 for me

Why I hate "Fallout: New Vegas"

So why does (almost) everyone hate Fallout: New Vegas

See, in a game I'd like to play, maybe someone would say, "Hey, I sure used to enjoy games." And then in some vault or enemy camp I'd find a chess set, and I'd think, gee, someone told me he enjoys games, I'll pick this up and give it to them. They'd be all happy and something neat would happen. Maybe if this were a main plot quest, there'd be hints, where people would say, "Hey, if you make Bob happy, I bet he can hep you find the air-cleaners you need!"

This never happens in New Vegas. If you didn't get a quest, you're not going to be rewarded for trying things out. And if you DID get a quest, well, you've got a pointer on the map telling you exactly where to find the item you want, the dude to kill, the person to talk to, etc, so you don't have to actually SOLVE any problems. Just aim the mouse.

Sure, that doesn't mean that every normie hates New Vegas, but it's suggestive of the way these people think, especially when it's regarded in comparison to the immense success of FO3. At least among the normies I know, no one even touched FO:NV until this day and they all played FO3, FO4 and will surely play FO76. In fact, it would be strange if the enjoyed NV more since it is a superior game. Normies hate the good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know who wrote this shit but all of his points just confirm him for a retard with no taste.

Deleted Member 22431

I don't know who wrote this shit but all of his points just confirm him for a retard with no taste.
True, but that's the point. If retards with no taste enjoy FO3 garbage, you can be sure as hell they hated the improvements of NV, or at least they were frowned upon by them. It's idiotic to suggest otherwise.

Vulpes

Scholar
Holy shit on a hotdog, not only is the guy who wrote that article a brainless moron with shit taste, but he also doesn't know jack shit about the lore. For one, the Enclave was kicked out of the West Coast by the BoS and NCR about 25 years ago. Secondly, the BoS were a minor faction in F2 on count of them not recruiting outsiders and being stretched too thin. So of course it makes sense for them to not be one of the major players. Especially after suffering massive casualties at Helios One. Also, who in their right mind prefers Three Dog over Mr New Vegas? Seriously, fuck that guy. He always knows what's happening in the wasteland and always knows who's behind it. Someone butcher an entire settlement? It was the Lone Wonderer, aka Devil incarnate. Someone saved an orphan? It was the Lone Wanderer, better known as the Hero of the Wastes. Say what you want about Mr New Vegas, but at least he isn't always switching between praising the player and calling him the antichrist like some bipolar mother. There are so many things wrong in this article that I simply refuse to believe that it's real. I mean, I know that most "gaming journalists" are borderline subhuman, but this is ridiculous

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is in no small measure due to New Vegas, which even most normies agree was superior to the Beth Fallouts.
No, they don't. Most normies prefer FO3 over F:NV. In fact, many didn't even play NV.
New Vegas sold more than F3.

Please stop being obtuse:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/504477/global-all-time-unit-sales-fallout-games/

Fallout 3 sold 1+ million units more than F3: NV.

Not surprising considering that Bethestards enjoyed F3 and F4 more than F3: NV. Just ask Makabb

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, they don't. Most normies prefer FO3 over F:NV. In fact, many didn't even play NV.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/504477/global-all-time-unit-sales-fallout-games/

Not surprising considering that Bethestards enjoyed F3 and F4 more than F3: NV. Just ask Makabb

I distinctly remember reading New Vegas selling a couple million more but I guess it shows how good my memory is. That's why I deleted my post after looking it up.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I distinctly remember reading New Vegas selling a couple million more but I guess it shows how good my memory is. That's why I deleted my post after looking it up.

It's alright. I wish that was the case but I have RL friends which love F3 and hate F3: NV.

It seems that F3 is more accessible for normies which don't care about lore, story or RPG systems.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

This may have been true eventually, but it wasn't the case by the end of New Vegas's final DLC https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...d-go-to-new-thread.72806/page-53#post-2740399

Wesp5

Arcane
But that’s not the plot, it’s one possible plot. You can immediately betray the guy who wants you to thaw out your frozen comrades.

That's what they say in the articles, but who knows if this plot isn't coming back in the end with the corporations wanting you to do something about it anyway?

You should play the original Fallouts immediately. How could you spend so many years modding a Troika game without playing the game that effectively created Troika?

Because I came to Bloodlines from the FPS side after modding Doom, Quake and Half-Life before playing Bloodlines only because it used the Source engine like HL2. Honestly, I need a first person view to feel really immersed in a game to care about it. Piloting small remote toy soldiers in isometric view just isn't my thing :)! And yes, this will probably be hated here I know...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom